The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, Me-dude-sa said:

Are they albino? They kinda look like those naked mole rat things.

Hmmmm, there is lore of some Skaven riding giant mole-rats that tunnel through dimensions for their gnaw-holes.

Not anywhere as cute as the realm hopping Mustori:

etgaaxfgrf171.jpg?auto=webp&s=08580d8202

But their dimensional mole-rats get the job done on making army-sized tunnels through reality.

If those things are akin to the same beasties then that could lean into the gnaw-hole improvement theories.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Hmmmm, there is lore of some Skaven riding giant mole-rats that tunnel through dimensions for their gnaw-holes.

Not anywhere as cute as the realm hopping Mustori:

etgaaxfgrf171.jpg?auto=webp&s=08580d8202

But their dimensional mole-rats get the job done on making army-sized tunnels through reality.

If those things are akin to the same beasties then that could lean into the gnaw-hole improvement theories.

What are those? Sparkle ferrets? Seraphon Celestial Star Mammals?

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

What are those? Sparkle ferrets? Seraphon Celestial Star Mammals?

Oh they’re wondrous natural creatures of the Mortal Realms regularly domesticated and used by adventurers, explorers and traders since their magical fur will mimic the celestial bodies of the realm they’re in and be used as accurate charts to determine the direction of the realm-edge.

”Mustori are creatures that originate from the spaces between realms, resembling small mammalian creatures. When they enter a Realm their fur coat mimics the celestial bodies of the Realm's sky with unerring accuracy, making them living star charts. This has made them popular companions among travelers.

They are playful and mischievous creatures that can easily escape attempts at capturing by simply slipping through the veil between Realms.

The fur pattern of any given Mustori will change to match the sky of the Mortal Realm it is currently in.

Due to their fur patterns, Mustori make excellent travel companions and with one a traveler can never truly become lost. As simply looking at a Mustori's fur will allow a traveler to discern which direction is edgeward, toward the Realm's Edge, and which direction is coreward, towards the Realm's Core.”

image.jpeg.3869b05651bd9c8ffee32877b3bd5dfb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 4

6 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Oh they’re wondrous natural creatures of the Mortal Realms regularly domesticated and used by adventurers, explorers and traders since their magical fur will mimic the celestial bodies of the realm they’re in and be used as accurate charts to determine the direction of the realm-edge.

”Mustori are creatures that originate from the spaces between realms, resembling small mammalian creatures. When they enter a Realm their fur coat mimics the celestial bodies of the Realm's sky with unerring accuracy, making them living star charts. This has made them popular companions among travelers.

They are playful and mischievous creatures that can easily escape attempts at capturing by simply slipping through the veil between Realms.

The fur pattern of any given Mustori will change to match the sky of the Mortal Realm it is currently in.

Due to their fur patterns, Mustori make excellent travel companions and with one a traveler can never truly become lost. As simply looking at a Mustori's fur will allow a traveler to discern which direction is edgeward, toward the Realm's Edge, and which direction is coreward, towards the Realm's Core.”

image.jpeg.3869b05651bd9c8ffee32877b3bd5dfb.jpeg

Absolutely incredible!! Is this from Soulbound?

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

[...]

Wow, never heard of these before, very nice lore! Thank you!

So, can we surely expect a good number of new models today? Indeed an unusual hype for a 'side-game' built up by GW.

12 minutes ago, Fulcanelli said:

So, can we surely expect a good number of new models today? Indeed an unusual hype for a 'side-game' built up by GW.

I'd expect a single model and a name, and anything more than that is gravy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Indeed! On the 2nd page of “Soulbound is now live!” Thread I even linked the Cubicle7 article of the artist Rune Flynn behind the Trade Pioneer and their talk about the design process. Certainly worth a read among the other things on that thread. ;) 

1 hour ago, zilberfrid said:

I heartily recommend Soulbound. Lots of lore and a rather balance of crunch and smoothness!

I've definitely got to pick up Soulbound, just so much Lore and I live for it!!

54 minutes ago, Fulcanelli said:

I would temper your hype a bit just in case mate. I'm expecting maybe one model and a teaser trailer.

42 minutes ago, pixieproxy said:

I'd expect a single model and a name, and anything more than that is gravy

Exactly what I'm expecting.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Garrac said:

Btw if they're going to retcon the breeders to be substitued by eggs, I'm totally in

That's a part of the old lore that we don't really need in 2022

It fits very well Skaven as they embodies the worst sides of civilization/urbanizations/society.

Also it appeared already in some aos novels so i really doubt they'll retcon it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

It fits very well Skaven as they embodies the worst sides of civilization/urbanizations/society.

Also it appeared already in some aos novels so i really doubt they'll retcon it.

It embodies the makings of white british guys on the 80s that didn't know how to put females into their games because they never met one

Modern GW can do better. There were other ways to use female skavens than some walking raped monsters that most of the times don't even appear on the books because the writers feel uncomfortable writing them.

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Jator said:

I'm not sure what those egg-laying albino rats are. An invocation? Creatures from the maze? I don't think they're a warband, thou. And let's not forget we have a classic eshin teased a few days ago!

EfoD0wYzCr6rIl0t.jpg

My guess is, the eggs are how this season of Underworlds is going to justify why people keep coming back to life. Previous seasons had the Katrophane Curse and Shadeglass that kept resurrecting fighters - given the eldritch setting here, something weird like being reborn in the eggs isn’t too far fetched. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Garrac said:

It embodies the makings of white british guys on the 80s that didn't know how to put females into their games because they never met one

Modern GW can do better. There were other ways to use female skavens than some walking raped monsters that most of the times don't even appear on the books because the writers feel uncomfortable writing them.

Brood Mothers embody the literal dark underside of the Skaven and how grotesque and malevolent they are beneath the 'comedic' or 'silly' surface. They are an ethical indictment of the Skaven as a race (which is by design) not of GW's approach to representation.

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jaskier said:

Brood Mothers embody the literal dark underside of the Skaven and how grotesque and malevolent they are beneath the 'comedic' surface. They are an indictment of the Skaven as a race, not of GW's approach to representation.

They are because there were literally better ways to represent the dark gothicism of skaven with gender and sex. Everything an author does with the tools given to them represents their views and how to approach this things, and the breeders tell me that GW at the time didn't really have any original idea of how to put evil females into their rat-centric army. Why not have a matriarchy of cruel and evil breeders instead? Or a more direct approach to mysoginism so the writers could make approachments to how this problems exist in our modern society? And that's just what have literally just jumped to my mind right now, you can do a lot of things instead of... that *points to the breeders again*

There are already lots of pieces from skaven lore to demonstrate how sinister they are. How they despise everyone else, the slaves system, their cruelty, the grey seer that has a literal court of slaves that have to accompany him so every corner he sees there's someone humiliated, the Council of Thirteen, the anarchy... you have enough stuff to see how ****** evil they are

And if GW is going to retcon them so now all skaven are gender-fluid monster born from eggs or whatever... good riddance with them

Man, even MANTIC has managed this issue way better

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 9
  • Confused 4

I personally assume that albinism is going to be a direct relationship to the warband living in the caves of realm of shadow. Also you can paint your skaven however you wish... so I think it isn't going to be the default aesthetic for skaven going forward but it might be the official look used for one of the great clans.

As for the eggs clearly skaven in AOS are Monotreme... I just hope that we get a Duckbill Verminlord down the line!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Garrac said:

They are because there were literally better ways to represent the dark gothicism of skaven with gender and sex. Everything an author does with the tools given to them represents their views and how to approach this things, and the breeders tell me that GW at the time didn't really have any original idea of how to put evil females into their rat-centric army. Why not have a matriarchy of cruel and evil breeders instead? Or a more direct approach to mysoginism so the writers could make approachments to how this problems exist in our modern society? And that's just what have literally just jumped to my mind right now, you can do a lot of things instead of... that *points to the breeders again*

There are already lots of pieces from skaven lore to demonstrate how sinister they are. How they despise everyone else, the slaves system, their cruelty, the grey seer that has a literal court of slaves that have to accompany him so every corner he sees there's someone humiliated, the Council of Thirteen, the anarchy... you have enough stuff to see how ****** evil they are

And if GW is going to retcon them so now all skaven are gender-fluid monster born from eggs or whatever... good riddance with them

Man, even MANTIC has managed this issue way better

Look, I'm not going to argue that they couldn't do more with female Skaven both in terms of lore and models - they clearly can and I think everyone here would like to see it - but the brood mothers are a much, much less egregious example of the problems GW's had with regards to women's representation compared to, say, the old Fimir or the overtly sexualised older sculpts of Sisters Repentia and so on. Brood mothers are conceptually horrifying and physically - which nothing you mentioned does so in that way - embody Skaven's grounding in old horror tropes; their whackiness (as a race) has always been to contrast how disturbing they are when viewed through the lens of monsters in horror fiction, which is what they are. I thus don't find brood mothers' existence in the lore problematic on its own because they serve a narrative and thematic purpose, the real issue is that we don't have much fluff on other female Skaven, as reducing the potential conceptualisation of an entire gender into one idea severely limits the potential of representation and is the actual problem; ideally we'll get some models and new lore concerning them with the upcoming update. 

Edited by Jaskier
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Some Skaven are born from ten foot long obese breeders, some are born from 'eggs', others are delivered by a Blanchitsu stork. Infinite Realms baby 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I really want to see these 'shadow demons' in the flesh especially given how well GW executed other ethereal/demonic concepts like the Nighthaunt and Chaos Furies. We do already have 'morally ambiguous' Order factions like Daughters of Khaine and Idoneth, but I feel Malerion's aelves have the potential to really push that idea in a new and interesting way. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Some Skaven are born from ten foot long obese breeders, some are born from 'eggs', others are delivered by a Blanchitsu stork. Infinite Realms baby 🤷‍♂️

Tbh introducing the eggs idea could not even change what broodmothers are (like bee and ants).

I can see the other point though...and also gw quietly putting away that stuff as most "hardcore" reference in the game (like they did with beastmen and Fimir) but tbh i'd prefer having still "female skaven" in a new different way and not Broodmothers(but still with sexism socially speaking )than suddenly saying that rats can produce eggs XD.

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson

1 hour ago, Jaskier said:

Look, I'm not going to argue that they couldn't do more with female Skaven both in terms of lore and models - they clearly can and I think everyone here would like to see it - but the brood mothers are a much, much less egregious example of the problems GW's had with regards to women's representation compared to, say, the old Fimir or the overtly sexualised older sculpts of Sisters Repentia and so on. Brood mothers are conceptually horrifying and physically - which nothing you mentioned does so in that way - embody Skaven's grounding in old horror tropes; their whackiness (as a race) has always been to contrast how disturbing they are when viewed through the lens of monsters in horror fiction, which is what they are. I thus don't find brood mothers' existence in the lore problematic on its own because they serve a narrative and thematic purpose, the real issue is that we don't have much fluff on other female Skaven, as reducing the potential conceptualisation of an entire gender into one idea severely limits the potential of representation and is the actual problem; ideally we'll get some models and new lore concerning them with the upcoming update. 

I still think broodmothers are very outdated and there are better ways to exemplify the horror of skaven biological nature, (sorry, I've been waiting since 2007 for GW to erase them) but you give me an idea

Nowadays the BHR has diferent facets, and each clan venerates one. What if the form of creating new skaven varies depending on that clan? Moulder skaven being born from eggs. Verminous skaven evolving from rats chosen by BHR demons. Pestilens rats appearing at toxic wells. Eshin skaven are in fact dead skaven corpses being resurrected by ancient spirits again and again. 

This could really play well with the lore, we could ignore the breeder's total existence, and FINALLY put some not-so-awaward-to-write-and-play female skavens. I mean, even William King tried to avoid writing them.

At the end of the day, my expectations can come as far as that, but, if not, I want GW giving to me some new Eshin models so I can fiiiiiiiiiiinally replace the old monkeys shitting on the battlefield (sorry for the vocabulary but it's what they're literally doing, I mean, look at this losers)

Imagen

Edited by Garrac
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2