The Rumour Thread

41 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

One thing I will say is that the models locked behind battleboxes are released a lot more quickly on their own than they used to be.  With the regularity of larger releases most of my local group are avoiding the big box releases unless they actually want the entire contents of the box or "need" the models quickly.

Im still waiting for the Guardian of Souls and Knight of Shrouds on a horse models, but i am starting to think they will never release those. I need to get some inspiration and convert some XD.

39 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

So a certain playtester, I won't name names, has been trying to flog his nighthaunt all over the internet.

Doesn't really bode well for the book I'm afraid...

To me this is just as ridiculous as the bloke who burnt his Dark Elf WHFB army.

Dont people enjoy having the minis that they paid a lot of money and spent the time to build and paint? The hobby is more than just whatever is in the Meta right now cant you still play for fun without having to win every single time?

What happens if next Edition they become a top tier army? Are they going to buy/waste their money on a whole Faction once again? It just seems ridiculous to me. 

EDIT. I dont want to sound like I'm shooting the messenger here @HollowHills.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Dont people enjoy having the minis that they paid a lot of money and spent the time to build and paint? The hobby is more than just whatever is in the Meta right now cant you still play for fun without having to win every single time?

What happens if next Edition they become a top tier army? Are they going to buy/waste their money on a whole Faction once again? It just seems ridiculous to me. 

I agree with this, when I was younger I sold a few armies and instantly regretted it. 

I can understand some people don't have space or money for more than one army so sell and reinvest but selling because the 'meta' isn't strong just seems like throwing your toys out of the pram. 

I also don't put much stock in what youtubers/playtesters/content creates say I'll rather make up my own mind. 

Both the fyreslayer and deepkin books are good solid books imo as have the rest of 3rd edition battletomes. 

I'm looking forward to the Nighthaunt book, should give me motivation to paint the piles of them I have from the mortal realms magazine. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

This.

But what baffles me most is that someone who sells of an army because of insider info plays a bottom tier army in the first place XD.

Edited by Iksdee

29 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I guess there are some who just buy an army painted (maybe even commissioned) to use for tourneys etc and keep up with the meta. They're not too bothered about the creative expression and just want painted models they can play with. I suppose for people in that position it's easy come, easy go, just sell it and buy another army. If the army comes back round again they will just buy again.

Personally, that's not me and I feel an army is a massive investment of time and creativity. 

I have sold armies/squads in the past (mostly 40k stuff). Haven't really regretted it as my interest has shifted pretty much fully into AoS. 

I suppose it depends what you want out of the hobby?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

But what baffles me most is that someone who sells of an army because of insider info plays a bottom tier army in the first place XD.

It starts out as excitement for a fresh army. You keep hoping, hoping, hoping. Maybe next book, maybe next edition, and so on. Some players want a realistic chance at winning. The "fun" and "it is just toy soldiers" ends up feeling like getting shamed into playing by players who doesn't have to deal with constant uphill struggles for years and years.

It is a game and games can quickly turn sour if you feel it is unfair, after all.

I mean, if minis is all that matters why is GW so important/popular? Why is finding games so important? Why is matched play the dominant mode even in casual settings? I am all for the rule of cool and all that but for a lot us the game itself matter a great deal too. As does having your lovingly crafted models be faithfully represented on the tabletop. For example, if you've been stuck in the bottom tier for years and then find out the new tome does nothing I think you'd be forgiven for moving on.

That said, there are many other reasons for letting go of an army. For example, when moving I sold off a lot of stuff to new players since I figured it be better if they would see the tabletop than sitting in a storage forever. I would have liked to keep them but I also know I'd never actually use them. What I'm saying is, just because a play tester does something does not mean it has to be game related and some players don't like to hoard armies if they move onto another one.

55 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

What happens if next Edition they become a top tier army?

At some point that "what if..." stops being worth the wait. If you want to have fun now the promise of a distant maybe 3+ years from now rings quite hollow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Oh I didn't take it that way!

Also just to clarify what I would guess has happened.

GW ask the playtesters to play a certain army and go through the rules etc. I would be surprised if they don't get some sort of discount or free models ala what influencers are given.

This guy probably painted them as something to do, realised they wouldn't be good and is now trying to flog them before the rest of us see the rules / stats.

Playtesters generally have quite a competitive outlook.

Regardless of how the book ends up. I don't think it sends a great message to the community. If I saw my favourite army being sold by a playtester before I'd seen any rules I wouldn't feel great about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

What I'm saying is, just because a play tester does something does not mean it has to be game related and some players don't like to hoard armies if they move onto another one

Guess that is also true. I am thinking about selling of my Space Wolves because i just dont play 40k a lot and the paintjob didnt turn out the way i wanted it to because i lacked a lot of skills at that time. Has nothing to do with the current strength of the army.

4 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

Playtesters generally have quite a competitive outlook.

I disagree with this. Some playtesters are competitive but all of them.

5 minutes ago, HollowHills said:

This guy probably painted them as something to do, realised they wouldn't be good and is now trying to flog them before the rest of us see the rules / stats.

I don’t know any of the details but my thoughts are they might need the cash or want to try a new army or even game (must resist talking about Horus Heresy!!!). And with the new book coming, probably a good time to sell?

It’s all fun gossiping but do we have to be so negative about it? Just because somebody is selling something doesn’t mean it’s bad. I mean, most of the new books have had comments about them not being that great and they seem to be doing ok. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HollowHills said:

So a certain playtester, I won't name names, has been trying to flog his nighthaunt all over the internet.

Doesn't really bode well for the book I'm afraid...

I haven't seen this, but another one/game designer has been posting occasional pictures of building and playing Nighthaunt this winter, so your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iksdee said:

This.

I gave away an army because I had already painted them, and I wasn't that charmed by their design, not enough to keep them.

Often, when I have painted something I can't use for d&d/Pathfinder 2, Frostgrave or Stargrave, I have no further use for it.

Some, like the Demigryphs, General on Griffin or Kharadron, I keep for display.

Edited by zilberfrid

Man, havnt been on here in months and the first discussion i see is Hollow Hills stirring up some community negativity, nothings changed.

Looking forward to the new Nighthaunt book myself, stalled building and playing the army at the beginning of AoS3 but have some narrative games lined up and looking forward to seeing what it offers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stato said:

Man, havnt been on here in months and the first discussion i see is Hollow Hills stirring up some community negativity, nothings changed.

If you want a more positive environment might I suggest not starting a fight the first thing you do?

Glad you're excited but I'm struggling to find a positive a play-tester abandoning their army just before release. Granted, it could be a lot of reasons for quitting an army. The timing, however, is unfortunate.

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Some rules for the Gladiatrix
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/the-high-gladiatrix-can-insta-kill-enemy-heroes-in-arena-of-shades/

The killing ability is flavourfull, but I doubt it will work very often thanks to its 1" range. Another interesting information they talk about in the article:
"She also buffs surrounding Witch Aelves and Sisters of Slaughter, her thirst for blood whipping them into such a furious frenzy that they wound on rolls of 3+, and with a Rend of -1. Wherever the High Gladiatrix goes, her warriors know that the streets will run red."

The 3+ to wound already happen for the Witch aelves current warscroll (they get +1 while near a hero), so maybe the Sisters of the Slaughter will get the same ability and the Gladiatrix will give a -1 rend buff to them? Or maybe the witch will loose the +1 wound and the Gladiatrix will give +1 wound and -1 rend to both of them.

Edited by Arzalyn

2 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Could someone tell me when the next event is going to be. I need to get mentally ready for a Sylvaneth reveal. Hype!

I not sure about the date, but If i remember correctly it will be at the start of May (around 5~8).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iksdee said:

Could someone tell me when the next event is going to be. I need to get mentally ready for a Sylvaneth reveal. Hype!

We rarely know that far in advance. There's a Horus Heresy event on the 7th May focusing on the new edition so either there will be a preview in April to show off the box and stuff for other games, or that and other Heresy stuff will be saved for then. I'm not sure if we have a date for Warhammer Fest/UK Golden Demon this year. They might also do something for UK Games Expo (3rd-5th June). 

19 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Some rules for the Gladiatrix
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/the-high-gladiatrix-can-insta-kill-enemy-heroes-in-arena-of-shades/

The killing ability is flavourfull, but I doubt it will work very often thanks to its 1" range. Another interesting information they talk about in the article:
"She also buffs surrounding Witch Aelves and Sisters of Slaughter, her thirst for blood whipping them into such a furious frenzy that they wound on rolls of 3+, and with a Rend of -1. Wherever the High Gladiatrix goes, her warriors know that the streets will run red."

The 3+ to wound already happen for the Witch aelves current warscroll (they get +1 while near a hero), so maybe the Sisters of the Slaughter will get the same ability and the Gladiatrix will give a -1 rend buff to them? Or maybe the witch will loose the +1 wound and the Gladiatrix will give +1 wound and -1 rend to both of them.

I expect it will just no longer be on the WItch Aelf warscroll and will now be tied to the Gladiatrix rather than any DoK hero. 

If Mindrazor and Withering stay the same that makes both Sisters 3 attacks at 3+/2+/-2/1 with extra damage on the charge as well, plus whatever new Witchbrew / Blood Rites look like. Could be kinda hot.

On the other hand, the Gladiatrix model annoys me.... its so static. Would be much better if she had a bit of movement like that piece of art in the article.

• Like 1

The instakill ability is kind of interesting in that, unlike most other abilities of its type that we've seen recently, it works even on higher wound heroes, I'm sure we've all had situations where a tough monster hero has survived on 1 wound at an inopportune moment! Of course, the odds of what I assume is a 5w 5+ save model remaining alive within 1" of an enemy monster hero to actually attempt the coup de grace is not high!

5 minutes ago, Lucentia said:

The instakill ability is kind of interesting in that, unlike most other abilities of its type that we've seen recently, it works even on higher wound heroes, I'm sure we've all had situations where a tough monster hero has survived on 1 wound at an inopportune moment! Of course, the odds of what I assume is a 5w 5+ save model remaining alive within 1" of an enemy monster hero to actually attempt the coup de grace is not high!

There is some more nuance to it, too. On the one hand, it works even if the enemy model was wounded by something other than the Gladiatrix, so just moving her within 1" of a wounded model could be enough.

But on the other hand, since you have to match or exceed their wounds characteristic on a d3 plus wounds suffered, it is basically just a chance to kill heroes if they are at 1 to 3 wounds. That is much more interesting against small 5 or 6 wound heroes, where that's half or more of their total wounds than against the average 14+ wound monster hero.

Overall, I suspect that killing blow will be more of a free value ability which you benefit from occasionally, but which is not worth trying to go out of your way to trigger. That -1 rend for Sisters of Slaughter will probably be the main reason to bring the Gladiatrix.

• Like 3