The Rumour Thread

With all this talk of spam lists, how many have you experienced personally? 

I've yet to encounter a all dragon list or a all dino (tho I'll happily take on either) and I doubt I'll play againest a magmadroth spam or turtle spam list either. 

The only spam ist I've played is a all monster beastclaw raider list. 

Has anyone any personal experience with spam lists? Not seen in a battle report, not net list theorising but actually played with or against. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Arzalyn said:

I wouldn't call it meaningless, its not like you can pick whenever you want and that is it. Most factions have 1 or 2 unconditional battlelines and if you want to have other option you have to make some concessions while list buildings (having a specific hero as a general or always taking a specific sub allegiance). You still have restrictions in place that stop you from accessing some rules combinations if you want to alleviate those restrictions. 

Hmm, I think this was true at one point, but the more recent books have tended towards rewards rather than trade-offs. If you're fielding an army of turtles, is it really a concession to be "forced" to take the sub-allegiance which makes turtles stronger? Or the sub-allegiance which buffs sharks if you want to field an army of sharks? Or a dragon-riding General in your army of dragons?

Especially when sub-allegiances no longer have a more than one or two abilities, and no mandatory artefact choices or command traits, there's really no downside to picking the one that unlocks the battleline you want while also giving those battleline units a boost.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

Hmm, I think this was true at one point, but the more recent books have tended towards rewards rather than trade-offs. If you're fielding an army of turtles, is it really a concession to be "forced" to take the sub-allegiance which makes turtles stronger? Or the sub-allegiance which buffs sharks if you want to field an army of sharks? Or a dragon-riding General in your army of dragons?

Especially when sub-allegiances no longer have a more than one or two abilities, and no mandatory artefact choices or command traits, there's really no downside to picking the one that unlocks the battleline you want while also giving those battleline units a boost.

Yeah, the 3rd edition tomes offer that a lot less drawbacks than the older ones. In the new structure the only drawback you get is if the buff those battleline unlock-er sub allegiances gives are weaker than other sub allegiances. I just think this is more a problem of them over simplifying those choices (just a single ability sub allegiances with no mandatory, command traits that any hero can pick rather than unique ones for each hero/keyword) rather than with having the extra battlelines themselves.

Going back to the Magmadroth/turtle as battleline problem, I'm may be missing something, but nowadays competitively speaking the unique monster-battleline spam that comes to my mind are the stormcast dragons (which I saw some arguing that is not their best list). Those lists seen to be much more directed at casual or narrative play.

• Like 1

For me, being able to use Magmadroths as battleline makes the idea of collecting fyreslayers much more appealing, compared to painting 50 clonic naked dwarfs.

I still won't, but now it's something worth considering.
Wasn't AoS supposed to bring  this free and fun approach to list building?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Arzalyn said:

Yeah, the 3rd edition tomes offer that a lot less drawbacks than the older ones. In the new structure the only drawback you get is if the buff those battleline unlock-er sub allegiances gives are weaker than other sub allegiances. I just think this is more a problem of them over simplifying those choices (just a single ability sub allegiances with no mandatory, command traits that any hero can pick rather than unique ones for each hero/keyword) rather than with having the extra battlelines themselves.

Going back to the Magmadroth/turtle as battleline problem, I'm may be missing something, but nowadays competitively speaking the unique monster-battleline spam that comes to my mind are the stormcast dragons (which I saw some arguing that is not their best list). Those lists seen to be much more directed at casual or narrative play.

At the end of the day, spam lists still only exists if the spam unit is good enough to spam. If they're that good they'd be spammed regardless of battleline status. It's the difference between including 3x (cheapest battleline option) and forgoing 3 MSU Liberators or whatever, if we're being honest.

Right now no one spams Turtles (because a lot of their cost is tied up in unit support, not raw melee power) or Magmadroths (Because Magmadroths are weak little baby lizards) so the only reason things would change is if they're just that good in the new battletomes, which seems unlikely, IMO.

• Like 2

For context, if i was still working id have bought into a Steam tank army in a heartbeat and have had a whole bunch of converted and baggage laden tonks stuffed in a box somewhere but none of the other "monsters as battleline" options have really appealed. 

Its still a lot more positive than things like the Skaven where you cant take anything off theme, even gnawholes or endless spells (according to the app) if you want to change your battleline options.

2 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

For context, if i was still working id have bought into a Steam tank army in a heartbeat and have had a whole bunch of converted and baggage laden tonks stuffed in a box somewhere but none of the other "monsters as battleline" options have really appealed. 

Its still a lot more positive than things like the Skaven where you cant take anything off theme, even gnawholes or endless spells (according to the app) if you want to change your battleline options.

That steam tank army sounds awesome all modelled different, could have a flying one, one like the old war wagon, a land ship, so many ideas!! 

I look forward to a new skaven book which hopfully won't be so restrictive. I'll love to add some clanrats and storm vermin to my skyre army. 

I have to admit a turtle spam army does appeal, could paint one blue, one red, one purple and one orange 😂😂

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

Conditional battleline aside I feel like the  recent battletome are more cookie cutters and less choices at least when it comes sub allegiances, traits and artifacts. The stuff you choices are often too no brainer and the obvious choice compare to the other ones that they write down. I don’t think they having giving players meaningful choices in these tomes.

like of course I would go Big Yellerz, it literally has 2 more abilities then the other two allegiances give you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Custom dice are in fact cheaper. This is ridiculous 🤣

What I find particularly ridiculous is these are JUST dice. The only remotely special thing about these dice is the replaced number 6. Otherwise, they seem exactly the same as what I could buy off Amazon for 1/10th of the price.

They should go back to making stupid and weird dice like the Lumineth and Squig dice.

I know people complained that they weren't really usable gaming tools but they were at least funny collectors items, which at £24 is really how they should be thought of.

• Like 4

Just now, mojojojo101 said:

What I find particularly ridiculous is these are JUST dice. The only remotely special thing about these dice is the replaced number 6. Otherwise, they seem exactly the same as what I could buy off Amazon for 1/10th of the price.

They should go back to making stupid and weird dice like the Lumineth and Squig dice.

I know people complained that they weren't really usable gaming tools but they were at least funny collectors items, which at £24 is really how they should be thought of.

I think too many people complain and that was the problem

2 hours ago, Arzalyn said:

I think there a difference between the best list or just the most simple easy but still able to take 3 to 4 games in a tournament list and those are the most common ones you see ( like Gristlegore and IDK eel spam of days past). Top competitor probably use more unit variety but more competitive casual will just play stuff like Sons, win as many games as you can and call it a day.

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

That steam tank army sounds awesome all modelled different, could have a flying one, one like the old war wagon, a land ship, so many ideas!! 

I hope GW is reading these posts because I have three Steam Tanks in my Cities list and am champing at the bit to add more or convert stuff. I would love for Dawnbringers to lean into the steam vehicles angle if they ever come out.

In any case, Steam Tank stonks have nowhere to go but up, because they are currently at an all-time low.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • LOVE IT! 1

I will always much much prefer more battleline options in an army then being stuck with only being able to take one or two specific units as battleline. Sure some people want that feel of regimented units of footmen backed up by flanks of cavalry and monsters but sometimes its really fun to play a cool theme like an undead necromancer raising hordes of dragons because they didnt want to try and organise lots of zombies or the idoneth enclave who slams a line of turtles into their foe whilst a few reaver archers plink away behind.

The only problem is if a unit is rediculously good but frankly with how cheap some tomes can get battleline tax that spam happens anyway. I think restricting options purely because a few might abuse them is kinda shitting on everyone. Besides, outside of stormcast I've yet to see a monster battleline list that really shakes things up that much anyway (gristlegore had their time too but that was fixed mostly by just changing their command trait)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raviv said:

Sorry if it was posted before and I missed it, but the Adepticon event schedule is up, and Warhammer Preview is planned for March 23rd, 8pm (Chicago timezone, GMT-6, I think)

Does this mean we will have a Preview article posted on the Wednesday/Thursday? Or will they wait till the Saturday? Surely itll have to be during the week.

2 hours ago, Loyal Son of Khemri said:

Let's go! what are the odds we see these guys alongside their AOS counterparts at Adepticon this year?

Since we sort of already know the AoS stuff comming out right after Adepticon ( the chaos and order battletome in the summer) I doubt it all of a sudden it going to be chaos dwarf, just given the vide and rumors indicating it Skaven and Sylvaneath and that probably what going to be in Adepticon 

Edited by novakai

6 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Does this mean we will have a Preview article posted on the Wednesday/Thursday? Or will they wait till the Saturday? Surely itll have to be during the week.

I'm pretty sure it will be posted immediately after (or even during) the event.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raviv said:

I'm pretty sure it will be posted immediately after (or even during) the event.

I'm so hyped for it!!

3 hours ago, Aleser said:

We might see new warbands for Underworlds. One solo expansion and new core set are set to be released in Q2.

I'd wager we would at LEAST get the next Solo expansion shown off, which as rumoured here by someone who called Blackpowders Buccaneers right down to the Monkey and Parrot that the next may be a Necromancer.