The Rumour Thread

3 hours ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Cast down the false prophet of the Bleached Fang, embrace the (n)Everchosen of Wishlisting, the Word Bearer of Halflings, @Neverchosen

It is simple, if I wishlist every possible fantasy trope I will eventually get one right.

@Carnelian I love Warcy, I love Mordheim... I hope that Dana Howl's prediction proves true! The thing is I like the setting of Warcry being in the Eightpoints... So if they made this a story about a city in the Allpoints before it fell that would make me so happy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gothmaug said:

I know we all constantly speculate about which armies get an update/refresh, but its possible that the summer release is a brand new army. Looking back over the last few years, the largest releases have been for big shiny new armies like Nighthaunt, Ossiarch Bonereapers, & Lumineth realmlords. There have been some sizeable updates as well (Slannesh, Gloomspite, Kruelboyz, Stormcast, etc) all represent large editions or complete reworks to existing armies. 

Soulblight I feel is an oddity, with a much larger update than expected. I still feel many of the units in that launch were intended for the Cursed City line, but got pushed into the Soulblight release due to production timing issues. 

I'd like to see some of the older forces get updated as well, but I think we're due for a brand new army at some point in 2022. It makes sense from a business perspective to keep expanding the brand, while quietly semi-retiring the older  model lines. 

If the world were operating normally I would agree. In it's current state, however, it would probably be wise for us to temper our expectations regarding releases.

Unless GW already has a supply of new models or sculpts in storage somewhere waiting to be released, I think we can expect a slew of "new-foot-hero-plus-Battletome" style releases for the foreseeable future. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll be able to swing a new range or refresh of models, but I wouldn't set expectations too high in that regard, particularly since any AoS models will be competing with 40k for priority in that regard.

I think Warhammer weekly said it best where this year is when all the COVID lockdown and teleworking is going to have an knockdown effect on the miniature releases. Now I wouldn’t say that  this year is going to just books and boxes and no big releases because GW reallocated everyone to get 40K back on track like they said but it possible that this year is going to AoS light.

I at least am more optimistic that AoS will get something at the last half of the year and maybe Nighthaunt get more stuff base on rumor engines. But in the same vein I can easily see these next 6 books be pretty one and done as per usual.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I think Warhammer weekly said it best where this year is when all the COVID lockdown and teleworking is going to have an knockdown effect on the miniature releases. Now I wouldn’t say that  this year is going to just books and boxes and no big releases because GW reallocated everyone to get 40K back on track like they said but it possible that this year is going to AoS light.

I at least am more optimistic that AoS will get something at the last half of the year and maybe Nighthaunt get more stuff base on rumor engines. But in the same vein I can easily see these next 6 books be pretty one and done as per usual.

I agree. I'm setting myself low expectations that the rest of 2022 for AOS will be single Battletomes and Hero models.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I agree. I'm setting myself low expectations that the rest of 2022 for AOS will be single Battletomes and Hero models.

I do hope, if it is a quiet year for AoS, we have a longer time until 4th edition. I know it's unlikely but 3e seems to have a lot of potential to make small improvements to.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Enoby said:

I do hope, if it is a quiet year for AoS, we have a longer time until 4th edition. I know it's unlikely but 3e seems to have a lot of potential to make small improvements to.

I agree. Especially if it we do have the larger reinforcements and new Factions late in the Edition as people who game will get more time to play with Tomes made for 3.0 rather than being outdated a few months after their release.

It also means if we have a very small release year this year into next that at some point we are going to hit the AOS MOTHERLODE of releases at some point!!

• Like 1

I do wonder if Skaven might surprise us as the new army this year similar to Kruleboyz being a new twisted take that are totally different from Ironjawz and other Orruks.

With Fury of the Deep it’s kinda looking like this year will shift focus to the Realm of Fire as well and that’s where Clans Shrykt disappeared:

“The Disappearance of the Clans Shrykt

In the Age of Chaos, the entirety of one of the Great Clans dug an enormous gnawhole in Aqshy, before vanishing into its depths. Neither the Clans Shrykt or the gnawhole were ever seen again.”

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/26/26th-feb-lore-of-the-skaven-gnawholes-101gw-homepage-post-2/

If they got completely twisted into daemonic rat-horrors in the void and then got freed by the Realm of Life spreading it’s cosmic roots across the realms for the recent Life Flood then that would explain the Sylvaneth vs Skaven box with them realizing they unleashed a new horror unto the realms by mistake and are trying to contain it. Trying to get to the root of the problem by killing it at the roots. xD 

Might explain why this didn’t go to Nurgle if it’s for warped up Skaven daemons

rumour-engine-bone-flute.jpg

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

I really wish that the releases for boxed games and AOS had more synergy for times like this. I know that not every army can get a full scale release each edition, but it would be so cool if they could balance that out with related game sytems. 

Like if they looked ahead at an edition and knew that Stormcast, Slaves to Darkness, Soulblight and Orruk Warclans were getting major model releases in the first year but they also had planned releases for Sylvaneth, Beasts of Chaos, Flesh Eaters and Ogors as well they could have them get some love in their other systems. They could release an underworlds box of Ogors and FEC with a plastic butcher and Vhargulf, allowing them to also get the traditional additional hero down the line. Then they could make a warcry box featuring a unit of Kurnothi Fauns fighting Centigors on top of their traditional lone hero with the book. This way the lighter releases do not feel so forgotten when their books release. 

They could also further divide the labour somewhat, let the boxed games cover a specific focus in terms of subfaction for each army. Warcry and Underworlds have given us so many great Darkoath/Cultist units and that can be the focus of those systems to represent Chaos before they don their armour. Furthermore, we can get some much needed love for overlooked subfactions like Spiderfang, Bonesplitterz and they can easily stake their claim for cities of sigmar subfactions quite easily. 

I know it would never happen but it would make the release of an army or even a road map so much more exciting than seeing your army knowing to not expect really anything unless one of these systems seemingly randomly takes interest in your army.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 3

34 minutes ago, Enoby said:

Yeah 3.0 is definitely going to need some extra time to settle due to COVID. 4th edition could easily be 2025 or 26 instead.

5 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I was actually expecting this to be FEC 👀

• Like 1

Could be, there’s that stone throne with a hand holding a skull and ghoulish hand on a sword rumor engines still floating around.

If the madness is twisting their bodies further it could explain the strange hands and fit the court theme with a jolly performer to complete the Court look of a new king and guard if those aren’t daemon fingers.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

31 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

I do wonder if Skaven might surprise us as the new army this year similar to Kruleboyz being a new twisted take that are totally different from Ironjawz and other Orruks.

With Fury of the Deep it’s kinda looking like this year will shift focus to the Realm of Fire as well and that’s where Clans Shrykt disappeared:

“The Disappearance of the Clans Shrykt

In the Age of Chaos, the entirety of one of the Great Clans dug an enormous gnawhole in Aqshy, before vanishing into its depths. Neither the Clans Shrykt or the gnawhole were ever seen again.”

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/26/26th-feb-lore-of-the-skaven-gnawholes-101gw-homepage-post-2/

If they got completely twisted into daemonic rat-horrors in the void and then got freed by the Realm of Life spreading it’s cosmic roots across the realms for the recent Life Flood then that would explain the Sylvaneth vs Skaven box with them realizing they unleashed a new horror unto the realms by mistake and are trying to contain it. Trying to get to the root of the problem by killing it at the roots. xD 

rumour-engine-bone-flute.jpg

Well that's just perfect mate, now I wants it!!

31 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I really wish that the releases for boxed games and AOS had more synergy for times like this. I know that not every army can get a full scale release each edition, but it would be so cool if they could balance that out with related game sytems. 

Like if they looked ahead at an edition and knew that Stormcast, Slaves to Darkness, Soulblight and Orruk Warclans were getting major model releases in the first year but they also had planned releases for Sylvaneth, Beasts of Chaos, Flesh Eaters and Ogors as well they could have them get some love in their other systems. They could release an underworlds box of Ogors and FEC with a plastic butcher and Vhargulf, allowing them to also get the traditional additional hero down the line. Then they could make a warcry box featuring a unit of Kurnothi Fauns fighting Centigors on top of their traditional lone hero with the book. This way the lighter releases do not feel so forgotten when their books release. 

They could also further divide the labour somewhat, let the boxed games cover a specific focus in terms of subfaction for each army. Warcry and Underworlds have given us so many great Darkoath/Cultist units and that can be the focus of those systems to represent Chaos before they don their armour. Furthermore, we can get some much needed love for overlooked subfactions like Spiderfang, Bonesplitterz and they can easily stake their claim for cities of sigmar subfactions quite easily. 

I know it would never happen but it would make the release of an army or even a road map so much more exciting than seeing your army knowing to not expect really anything unless one of these systems seemingly randomly takes interest in your army.

An absolutely amazing idea mate, can you work for GW please?

10 minutes ago, Baron Klatz said:

Could be, there’s that stone throne with a hand holding a skull and ghoulish hand on a sword rumor engines still floating around.

If the madness is twisting their bodies further it could explain the strange hands and fit the court theme with a jolly performer to complete the Court look of a new king and guard if those aren’t daemon fingers.

I'm really hoping that with Era of the Beast, that FEC is the Death Faction updated most.

We know Nighthaunt have at least their new Hero and Unit with a few RE circulating that could be them.

SBGL probably will just be a Hero and Tome.

OBR has the rumoured Mounted Hero and Archer unit.

FEC could get a massive refresh!!

• Thanks 2

I dunno, their attempts at wild originality have fallen pretty flat so far in AoS, the better results have come from working with the old briefs in original ways. They could do amazing things with the Eshin or Skyre briefs and modern tech that i couldnt replicate as easily as 3d printing a rat daemon head and putting it on the existing daemon ranges.

FEC i think could do with some horrific mutant cavalry tbh, really lean into the delusional knights thing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

An absolutely amazing idea mate, can you work for GW please?

I would love that, the only issue is that I couldn't post here because I'd probably have to sign an NDA...

But my end goal would be to get on the Middle Earth team and develop an internal rules system for the first age and never be able to release any of it because the licence does not seem to cover the Silmarillion... and I hope the Tolkien estate never permits it. 😊  

Although maybe I could drop cryptic hints like, "it rhymes with Flitters and Peas"

Edited by Neverchosen
  • LOVE IT! 2

3 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

IDK, it looks like they treat side game stuff as side game stuff and not suppose to be part of AOS main. And it looks like the side game took more hits because of the pandemic like how there less warbands this year for underworlds and Warcry rarely getting releases to begin with.

they don’t even align warbands with battletome release  and put their scroll in the books anymore

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Enoby said:

I really hope this as well! Many people didn't even play this edition at all thanks to the global situation, it needs at least one year more to compensate for that. 

One think I noticed, we got 3 tomes last year and 6 tomes just at the half of this year. Assuming they release another 6 tomes on the other half, by the end of next year they could have all the factions with a 3rd edition battletome (even something like soulblight that was made with 3rd in mind/released a month before the change). Even with one or two totally new factions, it's not impossible to have everyone up to date for this edition and still have plenty of time before a new edition.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Noserenda said:

I dunno, their attempts at wild originality have fallen pretty flat so far in AoS, the better results have come from working with the old briefs in original ways. 

Don't think I agree with you at all on this 

The Idoneth are one of the best looking ranges ever produced by gw. 

But even better for me are the Warcry warbands and the sphiranx.

The OBR are sweet too - the bone catapult and the guy on the chair are top top top!

A new range would be extremely exciting for me 

• Like 12
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

Yeah, I really don't know how you can say AoS original armies have fallen flat. The originality of AoS is one of the things that makes it so cool. Kharadron Airships, the non-vanari part of Lumineth, Ossiarchs and their goofy bone-mafia ways, Idoneth and their beasts, etc.

I feel like they could go much wilder though. Armies like Sons of Behemat, Fyreslayers (except the magmadroth and newer models that lean more heavily into Ur-Gold), vanari Lumineth, and many of the older armies are really held back by the fact that GW doesnt really want to properly AoS-ify them.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

This is not a rumour, just speculation, but…

could the new Aeldari Avatar of Khaine be in the new DoK book?

I know they already have one in the current book, but with the new model, GW could beef up the rules a lot. The current Avatar of Khaine could be relegated to sitting on the Cauldron of Blood again.

It would mean more sales of the Avatar of Khaine, in the same way that Chaos Greater Daemons cross both systems.

Edited by Russ
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Carnelian said:

The OBR are sweet too - the bone catapult and the guy on the chair are top top top!

I agree about half and half.

Idoneth, Kharadron, Ogroids, Swamp orcs and most Warcry models are beautiful. The one pic we have that seems to indicate Silent People is also awesome. I also like the gryph creatures of the Stormcast and the current line.

Ossiarch and EARLY Stormcast look bad though (with the annihilators holdouts from those days). Kratakros softens my opinion of the overall design with awesome composition.

Edited by zilberfrid

5 hours ago, Carnelian said:

Agreed, I love all the 1st and 2nd edition AoS models and armies. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry to show how out of the loop I can be, but did we get a solution the this Rumour Engine yet?

2020-10-13.jpg

(And is there a resource somewhere of rumour engine images showing which are unsolved and the models from the solved ones?)

Edited by EntMan

3 minutes ago, EntMan said:

Sorry to show how out of the loop I can be, but did we get a solution the this Rumour Engine yet?

2020-10-13.jpg

(And is there a resource somewhere of rumour engine images showing which are unsolved and the models from the solved ones?)

That RE was for the new Sylvaneth hero they got with Broken Realms.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, madmac said:

That RE was for the new Sylvaneth hero they got with Broken Realms.

Thanks! So I'm not just showing up how out of the loop I am, but also how unobservant... Especially as this is a model I have been considering adding to my wish list!