The Rumour Thread

14 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Yep maybe lack of creativity was bad word but they don't look as fresh as KO did and Seahorse rider is just Manfred copy. 

To be fair, steam work & magic air ships is a pretty damned old fantasy trope as well.  I mean you can find that stuff going way way back from old-school video game RPGs to DnD supplements like Spell Jammer.  Hell, there were a lot of descriptions of ships like that in the old Barsoom books from Edgar Rice Burroughs written back in the  mid 1910s.

I like both of these model releases - I am just saying that when it comes to Fantasy and Sci Fi there is really very little new under the sun if you look back.  Most of the time you just get interesting interpretations of older ideas.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Turgol said:

I think the criticism is not about design creativity but execution creativity. This used to known as the “lazy CGI” design criticism: computer techonology allows for miniatures recycling. 

That may be true, but it also allows you to more quickly bring new concepts to life.

Similar poses and designs were WAY more common prior to the CGI era of miniature design.  Seriously, go back and look at the pictures of armies and tables from early 2000s or even farther back.  GW even used the same dragon models for almost every army and simply changed the head and the rider.

Does every guy riding a big giant thing have to be in a totally different pose?  Why not reuse things that work?  If someone needs their models to be unique snowflakes then do like many of us do and convert them up!

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Turgol said:

I think the criticism is not about design creativity but execution creativity. This used to known as the “lazy CGI” design criticism: computer techonology allows for miniatures recycling. 

I'm a 3/2D designer and I must say that new sculpting softwares (I m specialized in ZBrush but Mudbox or even Blender are in the same bag of tools) have just the oposite syndrome. With autorigs in human models, you can have milions of diferent posses for everymodel, so the only problem that we have comes from the previous phase (concept art) or the next phase (preparing the models to fit their print/mass production). Sometimes you have an awesome 10 models perfectly animated but you need to change all their arms with the same 2-3 rigged arms, removing in most cases a bit of "fresh-nes". Not going to say that this happens everytime, but with fixed interchangable body parts can happen alot more (double kits have the same problem).

• Like 3

Kkkkkk, I think the problem comes down to the fact you cannot please everyone...

If instead of a turtle they made a floating giant anglerfish with the riders into his gaping mouth shooting sharp teeth as javelins, some people would love, others would hate it as “gross”... 

I agree that the turtle was a good choice since it would be a more recognizable animal to most people than some creepy abyssal monstrosity... same with the eels and sharks, to me all of them fantastically well executed...

Personally? I would love a more dark and weird abyssal look, being a big fan of abyssal life and Cthulhu Mythos (Think Dagon and Deep Ones) but overall very pleased with the aesthetics and the range, GW at its best, proving again to be the alpha dog of minis industry...

Damn... now after writing this I’m feeling the urge to convert a floating anglerfish with elfs on its mouth... :(

cheers

AJ

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Hummmm... “They dont make friends  well”... probably they will have a very restrictive allies list... 

I imagine it will be similar to DoK, they haven't got many either. I expect most Dark Aelf factions, and stormcast. Their background suggests no High Aelf allies.

Fun fact while it may not be true according to the ex GW employee who wrote it. One of the main reasons Tomb kings were dropped is because the lore writers forgot to write them into the core book before it went to print. 

Edited by Envyus

Such a carry on about the turtle (more elsewhere, not here).

I'm just thrilled it wasn't 100% Cthulhu Aelves! How dull that would have been.

I'm not sure if I'll end up with an army of these guys, or just a unit or so for mixed order, but I'm happy to see something different. That, and all too clever Teclis making a mistake :)

Edited by Lousy Beatnik

1 hour ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Such a carry on about the turtle (more elsewhere, not here).

I'm just thrilled it was 100% Cthulhu Aelves! How dull that would have been.

I'm not sure if I'll end up with an army of these guys, or just a unit or so for mixed order, but I'm happy to see something different. That, and all too clever Teclis making a mistake :)

Thinking that a good colour scheme might give more of the cthulhu vibe, maybe some slimy tentacle hair. Make the skin more fish-sea-like. 

Anyone knows what's next. I feel like it should be Night gobbos. My local GW suspiciously painting up a night gobbo army. 

Edited by Qaz

27 minutes ago, LLV said:

Next is a new death battletome: malignants 

Then the next one after that is almost assured to be Slaanesh. After that its anyone's guess. Many have proposed theories about how they think x y or z might show up from the lore but I don't know. GW has been great at throwing everyone curve balls in their theories of what is coming. 

1 hour ago, LLV said:

Next is a new death battletome: malignants 

I assume it is guessing from your part?

If not,  what could belong to it?

• Hexwraiths
  • Knight of shrouds
  • Spirit Hosts
  • Tomb Banshee
  • Cairn Wraith
  • Rumoured new Black Coach

I hope that  there will be atleast 4 new kits (including the new Black Coach). I think that the Black Coach will be the centerpiece model for that Battletome.

Edited by Tonhel

It's possible that Death is next and it could be DoK alike release with 3 new boxes. Makes much sense. 

I think next after that should be Destruction and Moonclan is quite possible. 

Don't know about Slaanesh I think Slaanesh could be moved to next year as GW like to keep releases with storyline and Slaanesh have to involve Tyrion, Teclis and Malerion and I doubt we are getting more Elves anytime in 2018. But what's strange that all HE alike factions didn't get anything in GH. 

It's speculation only but for this year I think : Death, Moonclan,new SCE Vanguard alike release(about 3-4 boxes), then maybe Slaanesh followed by More Elves in 2019 that would be nice balance between Allaiances. Also I think Tyrion and Teclis will be one army (with maybe two different ways to build it) and Malerion will surely get his. But who knows. 

GW can push DoK alike releases quite quickly. 

Edited by DantePQ

6 hours ago, Qaz said:

Thinking that a good colour scheme might give more of the cthulhu vibe, maybe some slimy tentacle hair. Make the skin more fish-sea-like. 

Anyone knows what's next. I feel like it should be Night gobbos. My local GW suspiciously painting up a night gobbo army. 

Oh for heaven's sake... I meant I'm happy it WASN'T Cthulhu Aelves! Stupid fingers and stupid phone!

I hated the OMG Cthulhu!!! Facebook comments and I'm thrilled it isn't how it turned out.

1 hour ago, Lousy Beatnik said:

Oh for heaven's sake... I meant I'm happy it WASN'T Cthulhu Aelves! Stupid fingers and stupid phone!

I hated the OMG Cthulhu!!! Facebook comments and I'm thrilled it isn't how it turned out.

Could be that the Ctulhu aesthetic is for the eventual Shadowkin (Malerion's ppl) release with the Mistweaver and Tenebrael Shard. But I agree I think the Deepkin aesthetic is better the way it is

6 hours ago, DantePQ said:

It's possible that Death is next and it could be DoK alike release with 3 new boxes. Makes much sense. 

I think next after that should be Destruction and Moonclan is quite possible. 

Don't know about Slaanesh I think Slaanesh could be moved to next year as GW like to keep releases with storyline and Slaanesh have to involve Tyrion, Teclis and Malerion and I doubt we are getting more Elves anytime in 2018. But what's strange that all HE alike factions didn't get anything in GH. 

It's speculation only but for this year I think : Death, Moonclan,new SCE Vanguard alike release(about 3-4 boxes), then maybe Slaanesh followed by More Elves in 2019 that would be nice balance between Allaiances. Also I think Tyrion and Teclis will be one army (with maybe two different ways to build it) and Malerion will surely get his. But who knows. 

GW can push DoK alike releases quite quickly. 

Yeah a daughters of Khaine style release would be awesome. 

- Multi Build Black coach with 2-3 different builds. Maybe a barebones, one with hero and one with troops. Hero can also be separately mounted. 

- Dual build infantry kit. The phantom troop unit we’ ve seen in art. Scythe build and sword and board build. 

- Large spirit hero. The spirit from the latest. MP story, with the padlock. Imagining s fusion between Knight of shrouds and a mourngul. Maybe a named option? 

Thats three new kits, adding 6 new warscrolls, bringing the faction up to 11 units. Even more units would be welcome but I expect something like this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

I feel like I should point out that the black coach itself would not be night haunt. It may have a nighthaunt variant, but a black coach would be firmly soulblight.

Probably true but it does t have to be Nighthaunt faction, I think GW could release some more armies with DoK alike release those with fairly new kits like Witch Elves/Cauldron.