The Rumour Thread

Think I'm also in the "wait to suck it and see" ballpark.  So far I've been impressed with how things work together and am hopeful that they're not going to risk breaking the synergies that currently exist.  That said I also think one of the nicest things about AoS is a really nice thematic army and can see them rewarding people who think along those lines.

I think the key thing to remember is that this is only a very limited snippet of the generals handbook. 

We've been discussing this on the clubs whatsapp group since this post went up, and while some of us are not too keep on the concept of bringing in a "core tax" (myself included, I love the freedom of play) we don't know what will be "battleline" and what won't be, there could be a very large pool of "battleline" units and could have very little effect on the way people build armies.

We also have the option to simply ignore these restrictions if we want to, and just use the points (assuming you want to do that as well)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

I think the key thing to remember is that this is only a very limited snippet of the generals handbook. 

We've been discussing this on the clubs whatsapp group since this post went up, and while some of us are not too keep on the concept of bringing in a "core tax" (myself included, I love the freedom of play) we don't know what will be "battleline" and what won't be, there could be a very large pool of "battleline" units and could have very little effect on the way people build armies.

We also have the option to simply ignore these restrictions if we want to, and just use the points (assuming you want to do that as well)

I agree with all of this. Until we've seen the book and used it in anger, no point getting wound up about it ;)

I can see why people are getting wound up but again, this is just one way of playing and you can always tweak it to what you want to use

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Feel free to use my material bro! ;) 

But yeh, let's all just wait and see shall we. I think it was a very odd (and somewhat naïve) choice for GW to tease that particular piece of text as it has certainly seeded some concerns and doubt.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Feel free to use my material bro! ;) 

But yeh, let's all just wait and see shall we. I think it was a very odd (and somewhat naïve) choice for GW to tease that particular piece of text as it has certainly seeded some concerns and doubt.

It was such a wonderful point though!

15 hours ago, PJetski said:

I only play Seraphon units and it sounds like I can keep running my Thunderquake Starhost in Matched Play, but I won't be able to bring a Loremaster for Hand of Glory unless I deal with a core tax.

That seems... fair. It should allow them to design cool mini factions like Ironjawz and Flesheater Courts and make them powerful without worrying about how they combo with models outside their faction.

Right and hopefully we can still make mixed lists that can win by using varied elements to their greatest efficiency.  Curious to see how restrictive the keywords will be.

11 hours ago, DeadlySarcasm said:

Im on the same page as you.

Ive been thinking of using point just for measuring an "army size" for sudden death purposes.

You buid your army freely, and whoever's list that is 1/3 points lower, gets the sudden death.

In addition to the above pic, here are the rest of the rumors so far courtesy of /tg/:

"All units have an assigned role.
Leader, Battleline, Behemoth, Artillery, no role.
Depending on points you play you are required/limited on number of units of each type you can take. Lets say we play 1000pts battle.
In that case you are required to take 
2+ Battleline units
1-4 Leaders
0-2 Behemoths
0-2 Artillery
Any number of no role units

Some units have both types so they take up both slots at once.
Some units can become battleline if you take specific leader

Somehow I missed the part about summoning while taking photos but as far as I remember it works along the lines:
We play 1000 pts battle
You can decide to spent any of those points on summoning. So lets say you take 700 points on field and 300 points are "held in reserve: as summoning.
You summon any unit within said 300 points limit later in game. Points are used for summon so no recycling.

Armies build entirely of one Alliance are given extra rule. Generals can take 1 extra ability out of 6 predefined ones. Also there are 6 artefacts that can be taken by heroes at no additional cost.

Each alliance has its own set of
1 Battle Trait
6 Command Traits for your general
6 Artefacts that "any (non-unique) hero can be given one..."

Battle traits are
Death: For each wount or mortal wound suffered by DEATH unit within your army that is within 10" of your General or another Hero from your army, roll a die. On a 6 or more the wound is negated.
Destruction: Roll a dice in your hero phase for each unit from your army that is within 6" of General or another Hero from your army. The unit can move a number of inches equal to the dice roll, as if it were movement phase, but cannot run. This does not affect their ability to move again later in the turn.

Chaos: Roll a dice when you pick a Chaos unit to attack in combat that is within 8" of general or other your hero. On a roll of 6 you can add 1 to all hit rolls for the unit in that phase.
Order: You can re-roll battleshock tests (in battleshock phase) for friendly Order units that are within 12" of general or other hero in your army.

(order artifacts. chose one, no roll)

1. Attack in combat before anyone else (one use potion)
2. Improve Rend by 1, not for mounts
3. +1 Damage for one weapon
4. -1 to To Hit for enemies you wounded (for rest of battle)
5. Once per battle -1 to Hit for all enemies agains model with this artefact
6. Heal 1 wound in each of your hero phases. "

Edited by Bass294
  • Like 7

Points costs getting leaked:

" Prime 360
Judicators 160pts per 5
Liberators 100pts per 5
vexillor 200pts
heraldor 120pts
venator 120pts
Celestant /on dracoth 100/220
Prosecutors hammers/javelins 100/80pts per 3models
Retributors 220 per 5
Stardrake 500/600pts
Drake cav 240pts per 2 models with concussors as exception at 280

Nagash is 900
Archaon is 700

Arielle is 620

New unit names are Tree Revenants and one other type of Revenants 100 pts/5 both 
and Kurnoth Hunters (or something like that) 180pts/3

Kairos 300
Lord of Change 260
Great Unclean 240
Skarbrand 400
Bloodthirsters 280-360 depending on version
Verminlord 300
Keeper of Secrets 280"

NO POINTS or battlefield roles for any forge world units in the book.

Plus ironjaws pic attatched got posted.

1466720495420.jpg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

Anyway it seems GW won't be able to secure a solid win.  Someone will always be frustrated.  If points become the most popular then it's really the demand of the community and it's what will keep the game alive, which is good for all of us.

Yeah, it's GW and ****** gamers so naturally many of them will be pissy. No matter what but at least we all get to have fun, and peace is only a mute button away. :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Xerox said:

I'm not sure what i think about FW models dont have points right now. Hope they'll fix it in the App or the FW site. Dont want Skaarac getting not used because of it. (At least i can Play w/o points) 

They'll get points. Eventually. In FW time.

Everyone will be annoyed by this release. Everyone will hate some points choice or rule decision. That's just a fact.

What this book will do is give us the common ground that is very badly needed with AoS. This complete lack of ground is what is strangling the hobby in most places. No matter how bad it is, it cant go anywhere near how bad 8th edition was. But people loved 8th and there were hundreds more events every year and more active clubs, simply because it gave us all common ground so that everyone, no matter where you are on the planet, are playing by the same set of rules and guidelines as everyone else. 

The sacrifice is that, all of us are going to lose something along the way. Some unit they love that is no longer 'points efficient'. some tactic or army composition that is no longer 'legal'. But its worth it if it grows the hobby back to the popularity of 8th and beyond, and I truly believe it will.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that sees the rules as making the game easier?

It kind of feels like, if you play WoW you'll get this reference, matched play is LFR and open play is like doing a heroic or mythic raid.

LFR takes out a lot of game mechanics making it easier to jump in while the others take a lot more thinking and better gear.

So far we have auto fails so nothing can ever auto hit or auto save, no more duplicate spells, which is kind of a huge bummer to death players (I play Nurgle so don't think I'm a zombie spammer) and no more procing extra extra off extra attacks (honestly don't care about that as I didn't know any unit could do that)

Summoning is broken still but on the other side of things, why would. I bother saving 300 points just to deploy later during a hero phase without a bonus. There is very little risk reward to it. I'm not saying that it didn't need to be fixed, I've heard the horror stories buy at least make summonable units cost half points if they are in reserve (most likely will make that a house rule)

All these nerfs make Nagash a puppy but he still has a 900 point cost? Which is kind of dumb because now you won't be playing him on hard mode.

Limits on unit types is a good idea as long as I don't have to make a plague priest my general to bring my monks as battle line or something dumb like that.

All in all the new rules make it so the game punishes you a bit for being magic heavy.

Have to wait and see the book for myself but my wife is wicked pissed about the changes because she just bought Nagash so she could use him during the campaign and he's been hit with the Nerf bat hard.