The Rumour Thread

25 minutes ago, michu said:

Not everyone are competitive players. Shadowspear is basically a starter set for 40k 8.5 Edition and is definitely designed for beginners. Did the Dark Imperium set have the best weapon options?

That's fine, but also why it should be cheaper than it is. You buy a set like Dark Imperium or Soul Wars knowing it won't have the best unit options, but that it will be great value and include a rulebook. 

Here you have sub par unit options, no rulebook and a higher than usual price. Is it the worst thing ever? No. Is it a bit annoying and something I'm critical of? Yes. 

Huh. I don't know much about Wanderers but I know Glade Guard are the workhorse battleline unit for that faction, and they were already re-packaged for AoS, so it's not that.

OTOH, they're still available on the US site, but we've seen this before with Gitmob and Greenskins, so this may be the deathknell.  Unlike those two, this  wasn't an ancient kit either, so I'd be surprised to see it replaced even if Wanderers did get a battletome out of nowhere. Really hard to guess what this means for Wanderers except keep an eye on the rest of the roster, I guess.

20 minutes ago, madmac said:

Huh. I don't know much about Wanderers but I know Glade Guard are the workhorse battleline unit for that faction, and they were already re-packaged for AoS, so it's not that.

OTOH, they're still available on the US site, but we've seen this before with Gitmob and Greenskins, so this may be the deathknell.  Unlike those two, this  wasn't an ancient kit either, so I'd be surprised to see it replaced even if Wanderers did get a battletome out of nowhere. Really hard to guess what this means for Wanderers except keep an eye on the rest of the roster, I guess.

Just to play devil's advocate they did replace the plastic fanatic kit with gitmob. And Glade Guard come in a box of 16 which is a kinda awkward unit size.

5 hours ago, BobbyB said:

Does anyone have a link to this? I don't remember seeing it.

The impression that I get is that this is all based on them being mentioned in various books.  We know (from Nick Horth on stormcast) that the writers nest stuff into the books for potential inspiration for the miniatures designers at some undetermined point down the line, but it definitely doesn't have any bearing on how likely they are to be released soon, otherwise we would have grotbag scuttlers.

I could be wrong, but this seems like one of those situations where the community works itself up into a fervour about something with no real indication it's happening, then convinces itself that everything is a clue towards that end, and then blames GW when something they never promised fails to materialise.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/08/8th-feb-lvo-studio-preview-2019-revealed-new-chaos-space-marines-sisters-of-battle-and-moregw-homepage-post-1/
"2019 will see new battletomes for every Grand Alliance! Some brand-new armies will be joining the fray, as well as classic armies updated for the new edition."
If you take this literally, then there are 2 or more brand new armies in 2019. 

4 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

The obvious thing GW's building to story-wise is Slaanesh breaking free, and the two new Aelf factions emerging to fight him. But that feels like a major campaign and a big moment for the setting, so I think it's a way off - like 2020 at the earliest - to give the Soul Wars storyline a chance to go somewhere first. 

But Aelves vs Slaneesh IS part of the Soul Wars.  The Soul Wars are not just about Sigmar vs Nagash. The aelves have been siphoning souls from Slaneesh for some time.   This is why we saw DoK and Idoneth immediately preceding Soul Wars (Since they are in part created by souls from Slaneesh) and why it makes sense that the other aelves created from these Souls, and the Aelves involved in imprisoning him, could likely come out soon. 

• Like 1

That rumour engine could be the basis for an extremely greedy Slaaneshi unit. I hope so, there are so many ways to represent pleasure and excess, an opulently wealthy, gold-obsessed unit would be a welcome addition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, michu said:

Not everyone are competitive players. Shadowspear is basically a starter set for 40k 8.5 Edition and is definitely designed for beginners. Did the Dark Imperium set have the best weapon options?

May i ask why you ask those kind of questions in an AOS forum?

34 minutes ago, WarbossKurgan said:

There is a vase with similar styling in the pool on Mollog's base. So it could be almost any AoS faction as a base detail.

Small nit-pick, but the thing in the pool on Mollog's base is a treasure chest and not a vase.

My bet is malerion big dragon from base.

The vessels are no doubt idoneth yes. But they are in a gold mountain and idoneth not use coins so far we have seen. So a dragon raiding the surface and taking down mountains of golds? Thats unlikely.

Dragons have huge treasures since they sleep on treasure rooms or get new items when they kill the adventurers that comes by. But a dragon being underwater makes prety hard to someone comes to atack him.

So i will say it is the base of a new shadow dragon like beast of new malerion elfs or even malerion himself.

• Like 1

It’s almost certainly not malerion as GW said themselves not to expect them soon. Honestly is anyone else getting tomb king vibes from the gold? I don’t even like tk but this looks like it. Maybe Katophranes or the weird theory of tk turned into a Stormcast chamber is right? It’s what it looks like to me if it’s a new faction.

Edit 

The only other thing it makes me think of is plunder on a base. So could be Kharadron or any treasure loving thing. 

Edited by Barkanaut

2 hours ago, passtheKhorneplease said:

So the Shadowspeare box is 175 bucks US.  Ouch!  That is a lot for models only, but I knew that it was going to be an expensive box.  I thought it would be soul wars expensive but it looks like they are raising the bar....

It's disappointing since the price hike to $160 is relativity recent for starter boxes compared to Start Collecting boxes. and a few of those were further softened by including hardcover rule books(Dark Imperium, Soul Wars, Pellenor Fields), so the non-starter sets at $160, or even the couple at $150 already felt like price hikes compared to where they were when the Start Collecting boxes dropped. I was already on the fence about the Shadowspear box at $160, and $175 is right out I think. I've already shied away from the two player boxes at the $160 price points as the value without a book is usually diluted by not really wanting both side. Some people with say something along the lines of "split a box" while not considering that's probably not a realistic option for most people ans suggestions to buy the whole box and flip the rest on ebay are even dumber.

I think the biggest problem is that people often create and link between love for a product and blind loyalty to a company(and companies are aware of that and exploit it whenever possible) and think the companies goal of maximum profits has to be their goal too and thus have to be okay with price hikes. It's okay to like a company's products and still realize that the consumer/producer paradigm is essential an antagonistic one with consumer and producer on opposite side. When a company says "times are tough we're raising pricing" and "we just recorded yet another quarter of record profits" in the about the same breath, it's probably okay to question their motives. I know I've found my hobby budget dispersed in more non-GW directions lately. My Nighthaunt army while a decent size(thought half if it was pre-2.0, so lots of hexwraiths and spirit hosts) was meant to be bigger, but I was waiting for standalone chainrasps and when they dropped a 10-man snap fit kit for $45, that was a pretty abrupt record scratch stop to that army. Yeah I could have added more stuff without the chainrasps, but that kind of soured me on buy more for the army in general. Not getting the Shadowspear box means I probably won't buy a black legion army. I've got starter boxes for two other games that are cheaper and have more miniatures that are as good as GW, and in the case of the Dark Sword miniatures in the Song of Ice and Fire box, maybe better. They're certainly better sculpts than the awful out dated orc sculpts that were packaged into the Pelenor Fields box for $160. Maybe I'm just not a big enough fan boy to get warm and fuzzy feelings when GW keeps announcing record quarters. Unfortuntatly I'm a Warhammer fan, not a Games Workshop fan.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

source? I don't disagree, I expect "light" aleves first, but I hadn't seen them say that anywhere

Some event or another just after Deepkin got released they said with two elf factions just released back to back and sylvaneth they don’t want to saturate the market with too much elves. They will come eventually though. 

6 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Maybe I'm just not a big enough fan boy to get warm and fuzzy feelings when GW keeps announcing record quarters. Unfortuntatly I'm a Warhammer fan, not a Games Workshop fan.

well you got to remember that Brexit is right around the corner, it possible even with record number that it will affect GW once it happens

7 hours ago, BobbyB said:

I could be wrong, but this seems like one of those situations where the community works itself up into a fervour about something with no real indication it's happening, then convinces itself that everything is a clue towards that end, and then blames GW when something they never promised fails to materialise.

Bingo! Some people really are their own worst enemies on this thread.

42 minutes ago, bsharitt said:

Some people with say something along the lines of "split a box" while not considering that's probably not a realistic option for most people ans suggestions to buy the whole box and flip the rest on ebay are even dumber.

New on sprue stuff sells really well on eBay, you can make a good bit back.... having suggested this route to someone before i’m now worried  I was dumb? 

16 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

New on sprue stuff sells really well on eBay, you can make a good bit back.... having suggested this route to someone before i’m now worried  I was dumb? 

The main issue with flipping whole boxes on EBay is that retailers get a discount so especially in respect to popular items like Starter Sets you’re never going to be able to compete with their priced without taking a loss.

If you buy a set you just don’t need a half of then obviously selling it on that sense is kind of pure profit because if you bought the half you want seperaykey as new it would cost you more than what you pay for the box versus what you would get back in selling the other half.

However even then that’s working on the assumption that you can’t just buy the box half you want on Ebay for less than that, which you almost certainly will be able to for a long time. You get halves of Soul Wars etc at present for very little.

But flipping models for profit is tough unless they’re rare or out of production or whatever. Selling on new stuff you’re always going to be in a competition with retailers who get the product cheaper than you in the first place, and who will also offer more robust buyer’s protection etc. I dont think your friend will make a huge loss or anything but they’re going to have to willingly charge more than the going rate, somehow have people pay that rather than get the same cheaper elsewhere, and feel ok about doing that to make a profit.

Edited by Nos

57 minutes ago, passtheKhorneplease said:

There are times when I really really wish GW was not a public traded company.  I sometimes wonder if all us addicts (sorry I mean enthusiastic hobbyists) would take our model Money and buy stock with it that we could take over the company.  

Already working on it mate.

And soon there’ll be nothing but rats.

Edited by Skreech Verminking

22 minutes ago, Nos said:

The main issue with flipping whole boxes on EBay is that retailers get a discount so especially in respect to popular items like Starter Sets you’re never going to be able to compete with their priced without taking a loss.

If you buy a set you just don’t need a half of then obviously selling it on that sense is kind of pure profit because if you bought the half you want seperaykey as new it would cost you more than what you pay for the box versus what you would get back in selling the other half.

However even then that’s working on the assumption that you can’t just buy the box half you want on Ebay for less than that, which you almost certainly will be able to for a long time. You get halves of Soul Wars etc at present for very little.

But flipping models for profit is tough unless they’re rare or out of production or whatever. Selling on new stuff you’re always going to be in a competition with retailers who get the product cheaper than you in the first place, and who will also offer more robust buyer’s protection etc. I dont think your friend will make a huge loss or anything but they’re going to have to willingly charge more than the going rate, somehow have people pay that rather than get the same cheaper elsewhere, and feel ok about doing that to make a profit.

I paid £75 for wrath and rapture and sold karanak, the bloodletters, and the blood crushers for about £40, so I definitely think it was a good move considering what I ended up with for £35, selling stuff unwanted stuff from battle boxes on eBay is great!

But yeah buying a start collecting and trying to sell it for more than it costs for new from a discounter isn’t gonna pan out well.

26 minutes ago, Luke82 said:

I paid £75 for wrath and rapture and sold karanak, the bloodletters, and the blood crushers for about £40, so I definitely think it was a good move considering what I ended up with for £35, selling stuff unwanted stuff from battle boxes on eBay is great!

But yeah buying a start collecting and trying to sell it for more than it costs for new from a discounter isn’t gonna pan out well.

Looking at the sold listings on EBay £35 is about the going rate for Slaanesh half so yeah you wouldn’t have gotten it cheaper I don’t think! I tend to think of selling anything I don’t need as pure profit as if I’m not gonna use it then getting money for something I am is a no brainier good thing.

6 minutes ago, Nos said:

Looking at the sold listings on EBay £35 is about the going rate for Slaanesh half so yeah you wouldn’t have gotten it cheaper I don’t think! I tend to think of selling anything I don’t need as pure profit as if I’m not gonna use it then getting money for something I am is a no brainier good thing.

Yeah but in the end it all ends up back in the GW tills... I bought the box for Warhammer Quest monsters only and now I am collecting a slaanesh army ha ha.

• Like 1

As someone who has painted a lot of deepkin over the last year or so... This rumour engine is 100% for deepkin. The chest and vase are both strongly represented on other sprues, eidolon, shipwreck and akhelian units all have these. 

I also suggest the coins relate to underwater treasure. 

My strongest belief is its endless spells for deepkin, because it reuses existing models and suits the made in China style of those models. 

• Like 1