The Rumour Thread

It could be a lot of things, but if unsolved its easily Skaven. Just look at Spiteclaw’s Swarm - they have a ton of chainmail and cloth. A lot of the NH had cloth under chainmail like this though, so it for sure looks like NH too. 

Do we think there is going to be a big Skaven release? What about FEC? A lot of boxsets seem to lead to new models, but some just don't. For example Blightwar seemed to lead up to the new Nurgle releases, but the stormcast side, despite having a new character was simply a reboxing of the Vanguard chamber, and did not lead to any new releases. Similarly, Wrath and Rapture is not likely to lead to a new Khorne release. Maybe a Slaanesh release, but that trail has gone suspiciously cold - the last two years saw January dedicated to a chaos god .. this year we got gitz. A Slaanesh release seems inevitable but it looks like Slaanesh is getting the short stick once again. In 40k, the Tooth and Claw box quickly led to a Space Wolf book .. with no new models. It seems GSC was delayed but they are getting a full on release in the next couple weeks for sure.

So what does this mean for the Carrion Empire box set? Is it just a way to boost sales on unpopular models, or are we actually getting releases? It seems pretty clear that the next weeks are going to be dominated by GSC releases, then something for Chaos Space Marines, though it might just be a couple models with another Vigilus book. Somewhere in that time the new box set will drop, and its unlikely it will quickly be followed by new models (b/c then people would just buy the new models instead of the old models in the box set). It could however be followed by a book without models, which either army could greatly benefit from, especially Skaven. 

12 minutes ago, WoollyMammoth said:

It could be a lot of things, but if unsolved its easily Skaven. Just look at Spiteclaw’s Swarm - they have a ton of chainmail and cloth. A lot of the NH had cloth under chainmail like this though, so it for sure looks like NH too. 

Do we think there is going to be a big Skaven release? What about FEC? A lot of boxsets seem to lead to new models, but some just don't. For example Blightwar seemed to lead up to the new Nurgle releases, but the stormcast side, despite having a new character was simply a reboxing of the Vanguard chamber, and did not lead to any new releases. Similarly, Wrath and Rapture is not likely to lead to a new Khorne release. Maybe a Slaanesh release, but that trail has gone suspiciously cold - the last two years saw January dedicated to a chaos god .. this year we got gitz. A Slaanesh release seems inevitable but it looks like Slaanesh is getting the short stick once again. In 40k, the Tooth and Claw box quickly led to a Space Wolf book .. with no new models. It seems GSC was delayed but they are getting a full on release in the next couple weeks for sure.

So what does this mean for the Carrion Empire box set? Is it just a way to boost sales on unpopular models, or are we actually getting releases? It seems pretty clear that the next weeks are going to be dominated by GSC releases, then something for Chaos Space Marines, though it might just be a couple models with another Vigilus book. Somewhere in that time the new box set will drop, and its unlikely it will quickly be followed by new models (b/c then people would just buy the new models instead of the old models in the box set). It could however be followed by a book without models, which either army could greatly benefit from, especially Skaven. 

They've already confirmed more Slaneesh, and more FEC and Skaven both "in the coming weeks". So it's not a matter of "if" but "when and how big". 

Slaneesh - battletome obviously. Likely a giant greater daemon kit. (To bring it to parity with the other chaos gods). 

FEC - who knows. But I doubt they release more than 1 new model without an updated tome. They are due for a tome (ghb abilities), and  updated tomes are rumored, so I expect tome is minimum.

Skaven - again, weird and uncommon to see new minis without book.  But, you can't really sell a skaven tome right now without some new models. Almost half the range is metal and very new player unfriendly (here's you're  first ever battletome and an ikit claw, good luck!) So, new book which I think also means new minis. How many depends on if they bring it all together or do just skyre (all together seems likely)

Of course none of this is ground breaking speculation. Just the same stuff that has been discussed over and over for the last 3 weeks since the unveil. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mmmbbb3 said:

looks like AOS

image.png.ef2fddfc2a16c5b4d83020a0cd5cc603.png

1 hour ago, WoollyMammoth said:

It's 100% the Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed from the Soul Wars box set. 

Knight of Shrouds.JPG

Edited by Dirtnaps
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit confused as to why people think khorne is getting another battletome soon. The only indication for this seems to be changed warscrolls in Wrath and Rapture but warscrolls changes don't necessarily indicate a reprinted book. KO got a warscroll change in GHB with no new tome and BoC changes tzaangor warscrolls so by that logxmic Tzeentch is just as likely for a reprint sometime soon.

The same goes for errata and allegiance ability summoning changes, for which all apply to Tzeentch too (and KO is similarly know for it's errata).

Add to that that no new models came for khorne in wrath and Rapture but just long awaited plastics for their battleline leads me to thinking khorne isn't really in line for anything more soon.

• Like 2

Daughters of Khaine, far as I know, don't have any stories that focus on them alone save for a couple of shorts in Malign Portents (on the website for it). They also appear in the Heart of Winter Novella in a decent supporting role.  There's also the odd Witch Aelf that appears in Khorne battle tournaments here and there, but only as a background reference not as a central character (I recall one appearing in Warqueen novella). 

Morathi herself features quite centrally in the very early lore and in the lore around the capture of Slaanesh; but thus far DoK are very new, but also a fragment of a former army so unlike Idoneth there are bits of their history around, but never anything central to them. Hopefully this changes and there's a skilled author beavering away on a story for them. 

48 minutes ago, Overread said:

Morathi herself features quite centrally in the very early lore and in the lore around the capture of Slaanesh; but thus far DoK are very new, but also a fragment of a former army so unlike Idoneth there are bits of their history around, but never anything central to them. Hopefully this changes and there's a skilled author beavering away on a story for them. 

What interesting tale could you tell with DoK as the main character?

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Loads of things. From fleshing out how their society works to their views on life and the world around them. How they interact with other armies and agents of order; if there's any hint of rebellion within their peoples.  Morathi rules them with an iron fist and secrete snake police so there's ample room for Queens and Witches who might disilke the way their people are ruled. Furthermore there's a huge story element with tehir relationship with Khaine since he's not actually returned and is instead partly held hostage by Morathi as she has his heart and steals the prayer magic for herself (boosting her power since she didn't get to be a demi-god/god like the other mighty Elves that survived the end of the Old World - such as the two brothers and her son). 

• Like 1

I have a feeling there might be some Daughters of Khaine featured in the Gotrek novels at some point considering the aelf Maleneth has some ties to them.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

There are all sorts of stories you could tell with one as a protagonist, their lore is ripe to be expanded in a novel (much like many of the other faction imo). I mean all you need to do is look at the Mallus Darkblade series for an example of a pretty good series of books featuring a n interesting dark elf protagonist that gives a nice look at dark elven society while also giving a really interesting story with a satisfying ending (at least in my opinion).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xking said:

I wish GW would stop putting new stories in the same anthology with old stories. 

Just look at "Gods and Mortals". I just want the new stuff please GW. I already read the old stuff. 

This this this this. 

New GW is great but Black Library have not caught up. Their website is messy and they keep releasing books in multiple formats that don't go together. I don't want to be punished for having bought the short stories individually! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dirtnaps said:

I mean all you need to do is look at the Mallus Darkblade series for an example of a pretty good series of books featuring a n interesting dark elf protagonist that gives a nice look at dark elven society while also giving a really interesting story with a satisfying ending (at least in my opinion).

Wasn't he written off in a sentence or two in the End Times? You had something else in mind?

DoK is a very specific case and gives you a set of constraints to work with. To make the matters more complicated the druchii society is no more, ergo you need to redefine the DoK cult in a relationship with other segments of the world. The Cult of Khaine was always a subculture within druchii society, however when you define its relationship with the druchii the stage is set and you don't need that much of other work. 

The behavior they show is also rather boringly uniformed across the old lore. One way to break all of it is to make the MC an outcast or simply having a history with it as that allows certain interactions that otherwise wouldn't be possible. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

Furthermore there's a huge story element with tehir relationship with Khaine since he's not actually returned 

Point. I'm interested in the development of this subplot but wonder if DoK hero is needed as the main character.  Should be interesting if they ever move forward with it as it'd had consequences on others rather than simply on DoK. 

Edited by Tiger

@Tiger I think the Mallus Darkblade reference is showing how a dark sided character can be the focus of a story and do well. In the AoS world that can be done again with armies like Daughters of Khaine. Heck if you want an AoS example look at both Warqueen and Heart of Winter stories - one follows Slaves to Darkness the other Scourge Privateers

As for Daughters of Khaine they've been around in the AoS world for many generations now; hiding in the shadow realm and also working with most of the major order factions. So they've got a huge wealth of potential lore and references. From how they live and work with more good and well natured factions to also how they survive on their own and their world views. Right now mostly what we have is the generic overview and the views of their ruler Morathi. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, xking said:

I wish GW would stop putting new stories in the same anthology with old stories. 

Just look at "Gods and Mortals". I just want the new stuff please GW. I already read the old stuff. 

1 hour ago, Carnelian said:

This this this this. 

New GW is great but Black Library have not caught up. Their website is messy and they keep releasing books in multiple formats that don't go together. I don't want to be punished for having bought the short stories individually! 

I'm sick of them only releasing stories that are part of the main line as ebook only. I won't buy ebooks. I'm glad this anthology is coming because it has several stories I'd love to read, especially the Eight lamentations shorts. I was also pretty miffed with how they released the short books over christmas- the series of ten books. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my book collection, and though space to display them is always at a premium, I hated that they numbered the books on the spine and that made me not buy them. I don't want to display AoS books and 40k books together, I like the genres separate but with the odd numbers (I didn't want to buy all 10) on the spine they will look out of place if placed apart on the shelf.  I ran out of space ages ago and some of my 40k books sit next to my AoS rulebooks now and it makes me mad just looking at it! Can't wait to get some new shelf space in the summer and rearrange everything back to it's own shelves!

The new anthology thankfully takes care of some of that issue, having the short stories together finally lets me read them. I Just hope the short book collection gets the same treatment. I want to see the AoS and necromunda ones at least get a reprint in something similar.

I'm a big fan of the chronicles books, even if I would rather them be hardback! You get several books at once and they seem to be including most of the important short stories in them as well. I just wish they would included the short stories as and when needed in the hardback editions of new books as well.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Wasn't he written off in a sentence or two in the End Times? You had something else in mind?

He had a whole endtimes book. I've yet to read it- been working way back through the older ones as I never finished all of them, way back when. But I'm sure its more than a sentence or two!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Carnelian said:

This this this this. 

Without adding many stories re-printed in many other collections, see Pantheon. Just to keep track of all of them I created an Excel, it's actually massive... And confusing. Many collections like the Advent Calendar are mixed with other settings so you then need to wait for other collections AoS specific if you don't want to buy the digital-only format...

And totally agree with @RexHavoc. I also like having them in proper shelf and separare and I hate the mixed anthologies, so have to wait until they are published in a AoS only anthology.

Edited by alghero81

If there is any truth to the Dispossessed rumors from earlier this week, what do people think we'd be getting?

Would a unit like ironbreakers potentially get a refresh? While on the one hand it is still a pretty good looking set, on the other, the poses are static since they were still designed for ranking up in formation.

@Nighthaunt Noob I think they’re safe. As you say they’re quite static and designed for mass ranks BUT aesthetically they feel quite ‘AoS’. So would make a good backbone for a new line.

I’d be less sanguine about the survival chances of the Thunderers and Quarellers though, I easily could see the Dispossessed Warriors being phased out/replaced too.

Edited by JPjr

I think that it's the warriors and thunderers that really need the update; they still look like starter set models from the old days.  I personally think everything else has a nice, solid visual aesthetic, from Ironbreakers to Gyrocopters to artillery.

Edited by Aegisgrimm
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

If there is any truth to the Dispossessed rumors from earlier this week, what do people think we'd be getting?

Would a unit like ironbreakers potentially get a refresh? While on the one hand it is still a pretty good looking set, on the other, the poses are static since they were still designed for ranking up in formation.

I doubt any of our stuff will be removed, just a couple kits be added.

49 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

New to the game since AoS, but to my understanding the Longbeard/Hammer and Ironbreaker/Irondrake dual kits were all released in 8th edition, just before the end times and the ultimate direction rehash that birthed AoS. I can't imagine those molds are anywhere close to worn out, and given the cost of plastic molds it makes too much fiscal sense for GW to retire them. As @JPjr said, I would be more wary at investing in warriors and Quarellers, with Ironbreakers being a pretty safe investment within the Dispossessed Faction.

I'm of the camp that thinks these new kits will serve as the foundation for whatever direction GW wants to steer dispossessed as a battletome army with a release, Ala Daughters of Khaine.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nighthaunt Noob said:

Well moonclan did get new fanatics and squigs so sometimes this can be hard to predict and obviously there is a precedent for refreshing old models!

This is definitely true, and I would hope that those kits get redone. Though I feel the warriors still hold up pretty good, much better than the old fanatics.