The Rumour Thread

Now from reading the last posts, I noticed that many people seem to ,let’s say; not like the idea of aos getting some special characters from the old world back, it also seems like that the old world lore isn’t appreciated, since the thought of aos beeing different than the fantasy edition is around.

i do understand what you guys mean, but to put it in another way, does aos really has to be something  that has nothing to do with the old world or better said have any relation with the old fantasy game?

Because if that’s the case most army’s would need a giant rewrite (which costs a ton of money and time) or have to be thrown away. And I don’t believe that anybody who bought some end times minis would greatly appreciate to not beeing able to play with their  released minis they bought a week or so before aos would have been released.

Also the fluff from the old world was and still is great. Some of it even fits perfectly in the aos setting.

Even if we deny that fact, Aos still will have been a part of the old world, of course we can say that it has nothing to do with it, but than again, Gw never said that Aos has nothing to do with the old world or the other way around.

the game style might have changed and the lore as well, but that doesn’t mean, that skaven shouldn’t exist or be similar like before, same goes for the other army’s. 

Of course there always is a possibility of stopping the production of a a army.

but look at Boc, Legion of Nagash etc. they are great.

their lore might not have changed too much but it literally got some old players back, and even newcomers were interested in such mighty army’s.

also old hero’s coming back from the dead isn’t to bad either. Wouldn’t it just be great to see Skarsnik back rivaling the mighty power of the Ironjaws Mega mega boss who’s name I forgot?

Don’t worry about aos becoming the old fantasy . It’ll never happen, even if all old hero’s would come back.

having Skarnsik, Queek, etc. Would be a great idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skreech Verminking said:

i do understand what you guys mean, but to put it in another way, does aos really has to be something  that has nothing to do with the old world or better said have any relation with the old fantasy game

But that association leads to people feeling a ‘slap in the face’ as you previously put it. If it’s totally new game and setting. There is no expectation from the past, so no expectations can be broken. Again it’s the business side of that descision that I get, but from a fresh new start side... no not at all. But that’s personal. 

But Bringing some notable characters back is fun, the balance is off though. Love to get more connection to characters like Brok

• Like 1

So the regimental standard is about noise marines, the 40k slaanesh guys. I’m not sure If the content of regimental standard is a clue for what is to come? If so, maybe we can expect some slaanesh stuff to appear in the near future? Maybe just for 40k. We have had rumours about ‘excesmass’ and/or ‘slaanuari’, but that has been a while. 

11 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Now from reading the last posts, I noticed that many people seem to ,let’s say; not like the idea of aos getting some special characters from the old world back, it also seems like that the old world lore isn’t appreciated, since the thought of aos beeing different than the fantasy edition is around. 

i do understand what you guys mean, but to put it in another way, does aos really has to be something  that has nothing to do with the old world or better said have any relation with the old fantasy game? 

I love both settings. I have no problem with them releasing stuff for both either, looking forward after the mention on the community page to them bringing back the old world stories through warhammer horror. I've been buying up all the collected editions of the the old world books (and replaced a lot of books that I have lost over the years)
But AoS needs to be it's own thing, especially as GW put so much effort at the start at stating that it was its own thing.
Connections are fine, I love that there is a city built around a shard of the old world. I'd love to see something like a freeguild city or dwarven hold built around the survivors of the old world (or even just some relic/book/bit of trash that was passed on through the ages).
What I don't like is them bringing back so many dead characters. People have been demanding that Gobbla is brought back now. A dead squig. It's ludicrous. In an infinite realm, open for all sort of creativity, people would rather see something old brought back yet again (and a squig of all things. I've been a collector of goblins since I got in to the hobby and I still don't want to see a dead squig resurrected)

The old world IS part of AoS lore. The two can be connected. But they don't need to be identical.

25 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

also old hero’s coming back from the dead isn’t to bad either. Wouldn’t it just be great to see Skarsnik back rivaling the mighty power of the Ironjaws Mega mega boss who’s name I forgot? 

No it wouldn't. His story, like Gotrek, had an ending. Goblins don't live for thousand of years. Though GW hinted that the souls of dead characters could be possible placed inside new bodies/vessels, that is going to get tiring very quickly. From the day they created the first of these it will less than 12 months before we have a carbon copy of every old world mortal running around the realms. If AoS if that poor a narrative, then GW should just throw their hands up and say ''sorry lads, we made a mistake. We need to go back''.

29 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

having Skarnsik, Queek, etc. Would be a great idea.

Nope. Terrible idea. Would rather dust off the old WFB rules or play AoS rules set in the old world than see any more cheap rehashes. The rehashes are there for one reason only- to appeal to the customer base that ditched the game when AoS came out. I was taken in when Realmslayer was announced, because production wise, it is a cracking bit of entertainment. But I've come to realise that it makes for a poorer narrative. It's watering down AoS as if even GW don't believe in what they are doing with the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, elfhead said:

So the regimental standard is about noise marines, the 40k slaanesh guys. I’m not sure If the content of regimental standard is a clue for what is to come? If so, maybe we can expect some slaanesh stuff to appear in the near future? Maybe just for 40k. We have had rumours about ‘excesmass’ and/or ‘slaanuari’, but that has been a while. 

Noise marines, or a single marine rather, is being released over christmas. That's probably why they are drumming up some hype about them now. I'd say no more of an indication of things to come outside of that one model.

There is a good chance that if it is a strong seller though, we will see a full set released later down the line. Not sure it means anything for AoS though. Though the musical theme with both the harp and the noise marine getting a full blown guitar bolter again might mean we see more musical themed AoS minis when they get a battletome.
I'd happily take a bunch more bits to add some musical flair to my skirmish gangs though!

• Like 1

RexHavoc and Kramer thanks for replying.

it probaly just was my madness, wishing for dead Queek to come back to the living.

although like you (Rexhavoc) said, it doesn’t make sense (unless he’d become sort of a Verminlord🤔)that a skaven or goblin lives to long.

maybe it’s time for aos to get their own hero’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfhead said:

the next major event is New Year Open Day, I would not expect any major reveals before then (except for some teasers).

We’re kicking off 2019 in style, celebrating 20 years since the opening of Warhammer World and looking ahead to the future with some awesome previews.

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

RexHavoc and Kramer thanks for replying.

it probaly just was my madness, wishing for dead Queek to come back to the living.

although like you (Rexhavoc) said, it doesn’t make sense (unless he’d become sort of a Verminlord🤔)that a skaven or goblin lives to long.

maybe it’s time for aos to get their own hero’s.

Well most character that return where like resurrected into the mortal realm by the Incarnates using their souls ( The Mortarch, Gelt, and Drycha) so it not really a matter of life span. For Skaven, they already brought back one of their characters from the Old World.

Indeed, the returns have made sense as it's usually the older characters being reborn into the new setting if they're not immortals like daemons & undead. I give Skaven a pass as they're in the chaos realm now which doesn't obey the laws of time.

I mean heck, the Grand Alliance Order book back then put Azyrheim in a Lordran situation that had time flow unnaturally so you got strange people from eons past stumbling around the city lost and speaking ancient unknown language.

Also really sorry for the derail but I need to respond to this from Rex so spoilers.

6 hours ago, RexHavoc said:

A lot of people got into AoS, or made the move from WFB, as it was a fresh take on the fantasy genre and it's very quickly becoming as close to a clone of WFB as they can without just outright swapping back out for the old game.  

Well I'll agree somewhat there. It's why I'm so happy they keep pushing narratives, trying to build forces without point focus (though indeed a rarity now) and have all the realm related stuff in the rules so people are fighting in the mystical mortal realms with all it's eldritch magic and landscapes instead of a generic field.

but one of the largest returns is simply a couple of lines in a rulebook but could dramatically change the realms, i

Well between Nagash trying to suck them all dry with his Necroquake so Shyish is the main realm, Fateweaver almost pulling of Chamon into the realm of chaos and Sigmar wanting to make them into a combined realm of pure high magic I don't see that as that big.

Realm endangerment is a Tuesday with continent shifting being a afternoon in the Realms. 😛

The return of the Von carsteins with Mannfred recreating a whole area of the world that was (though I kind of like the idea in theory, it could be used to interesting affect) but leaves it open for abuse as soon as the community start making demands again.

Bah, that already happened way earlier with the city making chart giving people a chance to have pieces of the Old World and Spear of Shadows giving us a Barak that "burrowed" into the realms from the World-that-was.

It's all just ancient ruins now for a bit of flavor.

Heck, even if they made a replica of the World-that-was you'd only get the Orb Infernium in size as a unnoticeable planet floating in one of the atmospheres of the realms like a marble floating in a industrial sized aquarium.

It'd be a foot note of oddballs fighting eachother while all the actual stuff happens in the Realms.

I don't think you fully realize how insignificant the World-that-was is compared to the Realms.

There is already an obnoxious amount on comments on anything that GW post about getting them to place mordheim in the realms

Oh yeah, a cursed city separate from time that traps souls and warbands go there fighting skirmishes over precious magic objects while a greater presence lurks beneath.

There's NOTHING like that there already. 😛

If AoS was doing so badly to the point they need to bring back most of WFB, why not just can it and bring back WFB. 

Countless reasons.

New development staff that wanted a original setting since 7th edition, creative freedom, copyright, setting with plot progression with lots of elbow room to work around, global campaigns that can't wreck the setting but can largely impact it, huge rise in medieval fantasy competition in 2016 making going back to a generic setting very costly, etc.

There is retconning from the original AoS fluff.  The biggest change was originally the realms were infinite in size. Huge amounts to people were complaining that it was one of the main reasons that they couldn't buy into AoS as it was too big. AoS2 remade the realms from infinite to just 'pretty big'.

That was hinted in the beginning AoS1 already since Gorkamorka's Waaaghs during the Age of Chaos hit edges of the realms. So they did have limits.

At the same time though they don't because the realms are always expanding and ones like Chamon aren't even discs with edges but instead endless continents floating in it's realmscape constantly shifting and being created from the magic. The map we get of it isn't even the whole of the that realm but a view of the upper continents Grungni made for his people twisted by the Lodegriffon.

Ever expanding edges, sub-realms, their own planets and celestial bodies created from the unstable magic is pretty endless to me as they can always create more vast lands and worlds whenever they want as well as the players.

Not to mention GW hinting at the realms gates being designed to pull the realms together and returning it to be one world (which, yes, may or may not be true by their own admission, but it was an odd thing to make up if it's not been passed around the design studio)

That's in the Stormcast tome and no it's not "one world" but to draw the eight magic realms together into a infinite realm of pure high magic, the Realm of Qhaysh, that'll be the Order version of the realm of chaos.

This will never happen of course since that's endgame and will spell the end of chaos in the Mortal Realms.

Exactly! Where are the adventures of Brokk Grungsson! Seraphon were given a whole new lease of life with AoS and even the soft reboot that they got during Malign Portents was amazing, where is a series of novels about some new seraphon heroes!

I'll agree there, Seraphon hero novels would be stellar. ;)

(Also I don't see that as a soft reboot. Their tome already mentioned they were evolving despite being memories with the White Dwarf confirming that by saying they can go native in the realms and gain flesh and blood. The Herald even pointed it out they're still both magic creatures of starlight and can be flesh as well. It expanded players narrative choice)

Except there is almost as many as new characters now.

Maybe compared to reoccurring characters but if you're counting every new character then that's only true if they immediately brought back everyone from every warhammer chronicle. 😛

They stand out a lot more, often like a sore thumb due to the time differences between the old world and realms (again, ret-conned. From 'a huge amount of time' to only about a1000 years, a more believable amount of time for fantasy heroes to be missing and return)

Meh, that's just the consequence of defining things. Even back in 2015 with the Age of Chaos being this "endless time of terror" but my friend Lord Kragan was able to take the times in the campaign books to see it was only a little over a century.

But like I said, Azyrheim could already pull a hero resurrection with it's weird timeflow so that's little to be surprised by.

I'm rather happy they at least get creative with how heroes return instead of using older stuff like that.

) but another year or two down this path and AoS3 will just be the old world again.

I don't see it but if that's how you view it then I wish you the best in your future hobby plans.

However I fully believe in them keeping the Mortal Realms fresh and unique as they have been with it's insane and remarkable magic landscapes and people so for me the future of AoS is bright! :D

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 3

Regarding old world and retuning characters, look to the 'dark' aelves for your answer. 

Morathi - demi God 

Malerion - actual God (he is isn't he?) 

All other characters, consigned to Legends. You've got the GW blueprint right there. You might get the odd one slip through the net, but no other character (and the Druchii had some awesome ones) has survived other than in Legends. 

The other nice bits is to see Mathlann referenced by the Idoneth, Khaine etc. I love that link back.

I don't have any rumours, so I'll leave my two pence there! 👍

• Like 1

I'm unsure if it was considered normal in Fantasy, but I'd love to see more books about the new named characters that have been added. It always strikes me as odd that they seem to have very little about them fluff wise.

Also, am I misremembering, or did the High King of the Idoneth get his eye cut out my the Masque of Slaanesh (disguised as Morathi)?

Well GW finally started to do exactly that @Enoby with "Blacktalon: First Mark". 

And Volturnos lost his eye during an ambush at the Umbral See , but I don't remember if Morathi (or Masque disguised as her was involved).

PS. @Skreech Verminking I don't want to upset  about Queek Headtaker,  but Josh Reynolds has some opinion on his fate (from the "Spear of Shadows"):

"The ball traversed the rifle-bore and spiralled along a swift, stable trajectory. By the time he felt the kick of the shot through the ironwood stock, the ball had already found its target. The skaven,  a black-furred brute clad in red war-plate, with a wooden back-banner heavy with skulls, snapped backwards, snout first." ;) 

• LOVE IT! 1

Haha, not the first "off-screen" comeback death.

GA: Death hinted that Krell could be in Shyish's northern wastes defending a place called Helpoint and in Soul Wars there's a long destroyed undead matching his description.

I think those are fun ways to point out their models are still around but they died as characters long ago. XD

Also, was reading that great Realmslayer review here and saw someone mention a rumor about new Fyreslayers in the future.

Any more word on that?

Edited by Baron Klatz

Just now, Baron Klatz said:

GA: Death hinted that Krell could be in Hysh's northern wastes defending a place called Helpoint and in Soul Wars there's a long destroyed undead matching his description.

Is that the same big skeleton in red armour as in "Spear of Shadows"?

I like that theyre bringing back the odd old world character here and creating tons of new ones as well - to me the whole point of AoS is that gw and the players can do whatever they want and not be confined by the stagnant narrative of 2520 IC! 

Anyway, who else is excited that Karanak now gets 2 attacks per head rather than just 2 attacks!? Im more excited for Wrath n Rapture than for Xmas! 😁

It does have me wishing I held my hobby  budget a little longer to grow my Khorne army.

Especially because i bought a bunch of Gryphhounds earlier for a hunting party. Could've set-up a huge dogfight battle. :D

Hopefully I'm able to refill my hobby funds early next year.

Edited by Baron Klatz

11 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Haha, not the first "off-screen" comeback death.

GA: Death hinted that Krell could be in Shyish's northern wastes defending a place called Helpoint and in Soul Wars there's a long destroyed undead matching his description.

I think those are fun ways to point out their models are still around but they died as characters long ago. XD

Also, was reading that great Realmslayer review here and saw someone mention a rumor about new Fyreslayers in the future.

Any more word on that?

O.o No. There won‘t be new ones in terms of the Audiodrama hinting at it (which it clearly does not)

Spoiler

spoiler: Gotrek is now a super-uber-slayer since he has to push a fyreslayer masterrune into his flesh to save hammerhal. He dislikes fireslayers though and he condemns their god as an oath breaker. His companions die and henceforth he is walking around with a dark elf assassin.

Edited by RuneBrush
MOD Edit: Wrapped your spoiler in a spoiler tag

1 hour ago, Baron Klatz said:

Might be, haven't gotten to reading it yet.

Can you clarify this, Shinros? You're the expert Nagashite that noticed him in the first place. :D

@shinros

Er been awhile since I last read the book but the extract from GA:Death pretty much hints to Krell if GW decides to get around to it. They call the lord of the helspoint the lord of despair and krell was the mortarch of despair. 

• Like 1

Ah, then it was someone else who pointed out his remains in another book. My apologies!

22 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

No. There won‘t be new ones in terms of the Audiodrama hinting at it (which it clearly does not)

spoiler: 

Yeah, the fellow said he heard of such a rumor though it was unconnected to the Realmslayer story itself.

The audio drama just made him wish for Gotrek model as a new Fyreslayer hero. (Which from the sounds of it he'd probably give debuffs to any friendly Fyreslayer near him. 😛 )

Also, to hide spoilers use [Spoilers] in front of the sentence and [/Spoilers] behind it. (Remove the S at the end of those to make it work)

Also, someone may need to add "Steel cats" to the AoS cat list here for Chamon as they get mentioned in Red Hours.

http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cats

I'd like old characters to be kept to a minimum and only when it makes sense. Especially when it comes to bringing back non-immortal ones as it will just bring back the old status quo of characters losing and winning in such a way that they are still alive and strong to prevent their fans from being annoyed.

One of the things I like about AoS is how the lore can be moved forward easily and many characters can genuinely be killed with the knowledge that it's a major set back but they'll be back later for lore friendly reasons.

• Like 2