The Rumour Thread

21 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I could swear that I heard they changed it in a podcast or some other fluff description video (maybe it was 2+ Tough).  But, that does not mean they are correct, and I have not read the AoS Nurgle Battletome so I will defer to people who have on this one.

Can you confirm that they kept Gutrot Spume & Thanquol's background from the Old World the same?

It's kept somewhat ambiguous in the battletome, only saying that they are seriously old and rumoured to have come from the World-That-Was. Spume though is said to have been a coastal chieftain living around the end of the age of myth.

I think both ways of setting up SCs - new and old - have merit. For someone like Thanquol, it'd be a shame to lose all the character that came with his WHFB life. It'd be fun to simply have him dropped in the world of AoS by the Horned Rat and immediately get down to scheming as though nothing happened.?

• Like 1

Just now, sandlemad said:

I think both ways of setting up SCs - new and old - have merit. For someone like Thanquol, it'd be a shame to lose all the character that came with his WHFB life. It'd be fun to simply have him dropped in the world of AoS by the Horned Rat and immediately get down to scheming as though nothing happened.?

I agree.  Even before the End Times series Thanquol was one of my favorite Warhammer characters.  There are some characters that I feel were just so fun, unique, and interesting to Warhammer that it is a shame to lose them.  Nagash was one and I was sad to see how long he took a nap over the various editions, but it was heartening that he was still around in the background and could possibly make a return.  Then he did during the End Times and it was pretty epic.

For me, Skarsnik & Gobbla live in the same space as Thanquol even though they are more minor characters.  Skarsnik was just exemplified the main goblin traits more than any other character and I simply love goblins.  Grom was great - but he was a weird anomaly rather than being representative of his race.

I think it is also easier to bring over some of these characters who may have been influential in small areas of the Old World but on the whole were very minor players.  Skarsnik had a big part to play in connection to the Karak Eight Peaks and the story of the Dwarfs, but to be fair that stronghold was lost long before Skarsnik's story began.

Other characters that could be neat to bring back into the world are characters like Azhag the Slaughterer, Deathmaster Snikch, Grom the Paunch, Joseph Bugman, Heinrich Kemmler & Krell, etc.  Those characters were always relatively minor, but they had a lot of flavor and they would all still fit fairly well into the Mortal Realms.

Given the vague/hand-wavy way that the souls? bodies? memories? of the denizens of the World That Was ended up inhabiting the Mortal Realms back in the Age of Myth, it's not that far of a stretch for some of the most... potent of those souls to return with some sense of who they are/were.  An echo of the hero that was, in the new era.  Even for it to happen later, even for it to now be through the normal cycle of birth/reproduction.  So a Duardin could be born today in the Age of Sigmar who, when grown is, for all intents and purposes, Josef Bugman. Or for it to have happened before, and to happen again in the future.  It's not literally the same Dwarf, but it is functionally the same Dwarf.  Spiritually the same Dwarf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hyperkinako said:

So it looks to me like the Mortarch of Grief will be dressed in her wedding/mourning dress.  I'm guessing wedding as she is flanked by the two spirits like brides maids.  The spirit on the left can be seen in the original trailer carrying the broken time glass, you can also see the white of the flowing parts of her dress.

grief.jpg

spirit.jpg

Just realized why I'm getting a bride theme from this model, the head dress and rose thorns are stylized like Tim Burton's Corpse Bride.  This must have been an influence on this range.

bride.jpg

46 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I agree.  Even before the End Times series Thanquol was one of my favorite Warhammer characters.  There are some characters that I feel were just so fun, unique, and interesting to Warhammer that it is a shame to lose them.  Nagash was one and I was sad to see how long he took a nap over the various editions, but it was heartening that he was still around in the background and could possibly make a return.  Then he did during the End Times and it was pretty epic.

For me, Skarsnik & Gobbla live in the same space as Thanquol even though they are more minor characters.  Skarsnik was just exemplified the main goblin traits more than any other character and I simply love goblins.  Grom was great - but he was a weird anomaly rather than being representative of his race.

I think it is also easier to bring over some of these characters who may have been influential in small areas of the Old World but on the whole were very minor players.  Skarsnik had a big part to play in connection to the Karak Eight Peaks and the story of the Dwarfs, but to be fair that stronghold was lost long before Skarsnik's story began.

Other characters that could be neat to bring back into the world are characters like Azhag the Slaughterer, Deathmaster Snikch, Grom the Paunch, Joseph Bugman, Heinrich Kemmler & Krell, etc.  Those characters were always relatively minor, but they had a lot of flavor and they would all still fit fairly well into the Mortal Realms.

Have any of the characters that were dead in the World-That-Was seen in the Mortal Realms? It feels like only a select few were back because of Chaos or were alive right before it was destroyed. 

Don't know.  Sounds like Gutrot Spume?  Thanquol?  Whether they were still alive or recently dead tens of thousands of years ago when the world exploded is of little import.  I'm just saying that there's a perfectly good in-world justification to do it in the future.  It is no more impossible for a reborn Josef Bugman in the MOrtal Realms than it is impossible for there to be Dwarfs/Duardin in the Realms at all.

2 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Have any of the characters that were dead in the World-That-Was seen in the Mortal Realms? It feels like only a select few were back because of Chaos or were alive right before it was destroyed. 

Manfred I think he actually died right after he killed Balthazar Gelt

3 minutes ago, ShadowSwordmaster said:

Well to be completely fair there are not really that many named characters in Age of Sigmar right now.

1 minute ago, novakai said:

I think Tyrion killed him or at least stabbed him. The whole thing is weird on who is back. 

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

Well to be completely fair there are not really that many named characters in Age of Sigmar right now.

To be fair, most of the named characters are just people from the World-That-Was at this point.

Just now, novakai said:

To be fair, Mannfred died many times in the Old World.  When the old Undead army book was released in the early 90s he was still "dead" and his spirit was being held in some form of reliquary prison.  The Gotrek & Felix short story in that book (most army books used to have a Gotrek & Felix story in them back then) was about the pair stumbling across a group of necromancers/cultists performing an arcane ritual to resurrect a vampire and bind him to their will.  Gotrek interrupted the ritual and killed them all and by accident the vampire spirit broke free of the spell was able to return to the world.  At the end of the story they revealed that it was Mannfred.

So, just saying that he (and most vampire characters) has a history of being dead and then not dead - or UNdead if you will.

• Like 2

Didn't Isabella get Vlad's Ring of Immortality in the End Times, maybe that is keeping her spirit alive after so long, would also go well with her wedding dress if that idea is true (wearing her departed husband's ring).   

I hope the Stormcasts get a named character from this, that is not Hammers of Sigmar maybe Hallowed Knights since some of the models shown off at Warhammer Fest was in their colours.

On the Skarsnik thing, we actually don't know what happen to him or Wurzagg since Grimgor was the only who was confirm to have died in the Endtimes, But I assumed everyone whos fate was unknown (Settra, Khalida, Isabella, Wurzagg, Skarsnik)  all died when the world exploded.

GW however can resurrect any character into the realm as they choices like with Gortrek.

26 minutes ago, novakai said:

On the Skarsnik thing, we actually don't know what happen to him or Wurzagg since Grimgor was the only who was confirm to have died in the Endtimes, But I assumed everyone whos fate was unknown (Settra, Khalida, Isabella, Wurzagg, Skarsnik)  all died when the world exploded.

GW however can resurrect any character into the realm as they choices like with Gortrek.

I think we see a pattern on who is back. For now, every old character that has return had a connection to the winds of magic either by being an incarnate or being able to bind them, even if they died during the ET (Teclis turns to dust and Nagash crumbles after the ritual collapses, after all). These characters also happen to be Gods in AoS. Applying the same reasoning, maybe Grimgor, Gelt or Caradryan could be back in a different form? Would be fluff-consistent at least...

Another case is Gotrek, who is not related to the Winds, but happens to "replace" Grimnir during the ET, so he also had some sort of "divine" power that could explain why he is back in AoS (I suppose the upcoming story will tell more). There is also Morathi, but I find that more random. She is not in the any of the previous cases but happens to have saved herself from Slaanesh (is there a specific reason? I didn't buy the DoK BT). If random escape is the explanation, might as well just get Caledor too for the fun. That would be awesome and consistent considering Morathi's case...

Last case I can think of are the Mortarch Trio, brought back as servants of Nagash, even without being divine/winds of magic-infused. Undead just get resurrected, probably, for a lazy explanation. Though I suppose it is more due to the brand new kit that came out during the ET, and that certainly was not going to be discontinued... so shove it in the fluff somehow! This could be a solid basis to get back Vlad, Isabella, Krell, etc...

So, I think there seems to be a reasoning behind who is back from a fluff perspective (and miniature wise too). Though GW can certainly just do whatever they want and give "reasons"... It's the  over the top mega-magical Mortal Realms afterall.

• Like 1

That Craven King model is amazing. Never really had an interest in Undead armies but the new Nighthaunt just look fantastic.

Does anyone think we will see multiple starter sets like we did for the new edition of 40K? Would love to see something like the First Strike and Know no Fear sets for the new edition of AOS.

Steve

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RedRowan said:

That Craven King model is amazing. Never really had an interest in Undead armies but the new Nighthaunt just look fantastic.

Does anyone think we will see multiple starter sets like we did for the new edition of 40K? Would love to see something like the First Strike and Know no Fear sets for the new edition of AOS.

Steve

Me too. 

And yeah seeing as both AOS 1 and 40k 8th share the "shades of Starter sets" business plan, you can be sure we'll get different sizes for AOS 2 too. 

We saw SCE and NH models with sculpted bases at WF, first I though it would be for Shadespire, but their are too many of them, inc. mounted units and war machine : my bet is that we'll get another, smaller, "push-fit / easy-to-build" starter set than the big one already (more or less) entirely previewed. 

we've got 2 weeks of imperial knight releases and then it's the big wallet emptying :)

I'm looking to 40k launch as an indicator of the price point and the box contents with the big rulebook.

I'm also looking forward to the Slaves to Darkness battletome.. er.. if that were ever a thing,  - given that the harbingers have been heralds for new factions hidden in plain sight :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VBS said:

Though I suppose it is more due to the brand new kit that came out during the ET, and that certainly was not going to be discontinued... so shove it in the fluff somehow! This could be a solid basis to get back Vlad, Isabella, Krell, etc...

That's my hope for Thanquol, anyway :)