The Rumour Thread

19 minutes ago, MitGas said:

and they will present us with the themes and ideas of the 41st millennium and not shoehorn in contemporary commentary.

I thought the point was it's a satire of, and therefore a commentary on the present? At least that's how it started out when I was a lad in t'1980s

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber

Warhammer+ I guess will stay for the hobby related stuff, painting, lore, battle reports, smaller animations, and then the bigger budget stuff will be on Amazon.

I wonder if Warhammer+ was a big enough success that Amazon saw the potential audience for Warhammer based TV shows?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SunStorm said:

Warhammer+ I guess will stay for the hobby related stuff, painting, lore, battle reports, smaller animations, and then the bigger budget stuff will be on Amazon.

I wonder if Warhammer+ was a big enough success that Amazon saw the potential audience for Warhammer based TV shows?

Potentially!! As soon as there is a proper amount of Age of Sigmar content, as in animations and such, Ill join.

• Like 1

I have to hope the story will be from the perspective of a normal human, rather than a space marine.

Marines have zero personality and unironically talk like 80s action heroes. Which is part of the reason the animated Ultramarines film was so cringe. 

Conversely, seeing marines from the perspective of an ordinary human - like in the Eisenhorn books - better conveys how horrifying and impressive they truly are. 

• Like 6

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, EntMan said:

It's certainly getting some major attention:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11544873/Henry-Cavill-set-star-executive-produce-Warhammer-40000-TV-series-Amazon.html

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/16/amazon-agrees-deal-with-games-workshop-to-create-warhammer-tv-series-henry-cavill

Having HC attached is a big deal, especially as he's recently been in the news for leaving Witcher and Superman, both thing most people liked him in. 

One difference between this and the Rings of Power, which gives me hope is that they seemingly have the entire 40k lore to go to for stories, with RoP, they only had very limited rights to some Tolkein works, but not others (and that still cost them 250 million...)

That could be anything from inquisitor or rogue trader led adventure, hive city gang drama, etc

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

I thought the point was it's a satire of, and therefore a commentary on the present? At least that's how it started out when I was a lad in t'1980s

Yes, absolutely, but you know, I don‘t want them to focus on let‘s say environmentalism but showing what a rotten and nature-destroying place the Imperium of Man is is fair game but they should focus on the story more than some themes. I hope you understand the point I‘m trying to make. 😅

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MitGas said:

Yes, absolutely, but you know, I don‘t want them to focus on let‘s say environmentalism but showing what a rotten and nature-destroying place the Imperium of Man is is fair game but they should focus on the story more than some themes. I hope you understand the point I‘m trying to make. 😅

I hope they make it obvious that the Imps are fascists, and importantly, they are not the good guys.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I hope they make it obvious that the Imps are fascists, and importantly, they are not the good guys.

I can‘t imagine them not getting that right honestly, it‘s such a big part of the universe/lore that pretty much everyone is bad to some extent (and heroic in their own way), it would be a total failure on their part. Not gonna happen. I‘ll at least give them that. 

Surely we will get some glorification of Imperials but they‘ll definitely look behind the curtain, it would be a missed opportunity else… :)

There’s people who don’t realize Tyler Durden on Fight Club is supposed to be satire that you laugh at, and that demographic has a big chunk of shared on the Venn diagram with people who don’t think facism is that bad if an idea, so honestly, I’m a little worried Even if they make it clear there are no good guys, they’re gonna be the “good guys”

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MitGas said:

I can‘t imagine them not getting that right honestly, it‘s such a big part of the universe/lore that pretty much everyone is bad to some extent (and heroic in their own way), it would be a total failure on their part. Not gonna happen. I‘ll at least give them that. 

Surely we will get some glorification of Imperials but they‘ll definitely look behind the curtain, it would be a missed opportunity else… :)

I mean I still remember the back to back posts from GW 

"Guys fascism is bad and we dont support it the imperium arent supposed to be the good guys why dont yall get that?!?!"

Right next to

"Heres a trailer for space marines 2 which shows an uber man coming down like an avenging angel to save the common man from foul and monstrous 'xenos' accompanied by a soaring orchestral score!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

While that is what I hope they do, to properly show the grim darkness and crushing bleakness of a monstrous totalitarian regime. 

The issue is just that the narrative of the emperium = evil will rub a lot of fans the wrong way, and alienate a lot of regular consumers that won't be able to comprehend that humans are just as evil as all the other factions, since in their minds human=heroes.

I am cautiously optimistic about the project, but i just fear that it will have no teeth about social commentary, the faults of intolerance and gore. Hell, a lot of recent books from GW seems to have drunk the kool-aid in those regards.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, The Red King said:

I mean I still remember the back to back posts from GW 

"Guys fascism is bad and we dont support it the imperium arent supposed to be the good guys why dont yall get that?!?!"

Right next to

"Heres a trailer for space marines 2 which shows an uber man coming down like an avenging angel to save the common man from foul and monstrous 'xenos' accompanied by a soaring orchestral score!"

I can answer that.

Fascism is a real problem that expands upon IRL/politics/societies. etc... and a game about an imaginary setting is still a game, and they are made to have fun (some people say that there are games that can teach some moral values but...). Some of them, even with the worst scum that someone can write about, have nice messages too.

Two diferent things that shoudn't be used in the same label.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MitGas said:

I think everyone learned thanks to Henry leaving the Witcher that you don't mess with the source material

this is not directly aimed at you but I keep seeing this sentiment around the internet and I have to object.

Sapkowski has been fine with the show's changes, as he was given the scripts and visited the sets to check everything out. I feel like everyone is forgetting this, while they were praising it during season 1.

https://redanianintelligence.com/2021/10/22/the-witcher-producer-clarifies-author-andrzej-sapkowskis-role-in-the-netflix-series/

As Sapkowski has said himself in an interview with Fantastyka magazine before season one: “Creators of adaptations of literary works for other media have the right to be sovereign creators, with an unrestricted right to creative freedom. In the particular case of this adaptation, their ideas can be different than mine. And even when some of their ideas are different than mine, so what? My books are not the Bible.

The other big thing is you cannot do a 1:1 recreation of book material for video; things will have to change to fit a completely different medium. The same thing will happen with 40k, though I'm sure the 'mechanics' of their lore will not change, there will still be changes because they need to translate a tabletop game with books into cinema.

You're allowed to dislike the changes in a show but like Sapkowski himself says we can't act like source material is a Bible. If Warhammer wants to make the jump to actual cinema, it's going to come with some changes in order to facilitate that.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Beliman said:

I can answer that.

Fascism is a real problem that expands upon IRL/politics/societies. etc... and a game about an imaginary setting is still a game, and they are made to have fun (some people say that there are games that can teaxh you thing too...). Some of them, even with the worst scum that someone can write about, have nice messages too.

Two diferent things that shoudn't be used in the same label.

There does seem to be a real dearth of games where you play from the SS side though which would seem to be an oversight if games and real world problems are as separated as you suggest.

Discussing the potential tones of a franchise tv show probably still counts as rumors but I think it probably belongs in another topic if we want to continue.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cofaxest said:

Looking at 2023 rumors I'm curious if duardins will get CoS 3ed with dispossessed ->KO 3ed->duardin tome with Valaya returning and dispossessed 4ed -> new duardin units for CoS 4ed -> new dispossessed in duardin tome 5ed.

I think, based on lore hints, that the next major new dwarves we'll get will be Chorfs.

But after that - bring on the Dispossessed!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I think, based on lore hints, that the next major new dwarves we'll get will be Chorfs.

But after that - bring on the Dispossessed!

I think that they will be connected to other duardin releases. I will be more then happy to see duardin vs duardin dualbox) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cofaxest said:

I think that they will be connected to other duardin releases. I will be more then happy to see duardin vs duardin dualbox) 

Yeah I think at this point it's most likely chorfs will come in for some kind duardin vs duardin narrative. It would be great to see Valaya come back to help Grungni and the duardin defend themselves against Hashut's legions.

• Like 5