The Rumour Thread

22 minutes ago, willange said:

Those were for the previous edition, not the 3rd edition updates with battle tactics and grand strategies.  Those were all overridden by the Broken Realms: Kragnos update to Gitz anyway.

Damn, you're right! Seems like yesterday! 

48 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Also GW doesnt seem to have rhyme and reason with Tomes, case in point DOK.

They seem to operate on some kind of metric where popularity/sales dictate attention which would explain why some factions are cycled back in before other factions even getting their first 3rd ed tome. Marines don't get so much attention just because GW likes marines, it because they sell like crazy. Now (as per the annual report) Horus Heresy is classified as a core game alongside 40k and AoS we should expect even more marine releases (plus there's whispers of 40k space marines not being far off either).

Also per the report, GW are doubling down on the FOMO and Versus boxes and focusing their effort on existing players + additional focus on more frequent releases and rules (seasons and other expansions) means this game is going to get more complex and expensive to get into. The wording in the report seem to indicate that they do not have any faith in making the hobby mainstream, e.g. niche marketing.

For AoS this probably means we should expect nothing more than hero in a versus box + tome updates (with a few exceptions like S2D and DBC). I hope I am wrong and sometimes these reports are purposefully jumbled not to reveal too much. So this round of hopium is on me!

Edited by pnkdth
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not a fan of the Valkia trailer. I get what they want to tell, rage and more rage that can be turned in to a moral burst yadda yadda... but appart from a few wallpaper frames and the proto-painbringers, it's a bit meh, for me at least.

I'm #TeamAzazel, I hope to see him again in TOW or AoS.

48 minutes ago, pnkdth said:

They seem to operate on some kind of metric where popularity/sales dictate attention which would explain why some factions are cycled back in before other factions even getting their first 3rd ed tome. Marines don't get so much attention just because GW likes marines, it because they sell like crazy. Now (as per the annual report) Horus Heresy is classified as a core game alongside 40k and AoS we should expect even more marine releases (plus there's whispers of 40k space marines not being far off either).

Also per the report, GW are doubling down on the FOMO and Versus boxes and focusing their effort on existing players + additional focus on more frequent releases and rules (seasons and other expansions) means this game is going to get more complex and expensive to get into. The wording in the report seem to indicate that they do not have any faith in making the hobby mainstream, e.g. niche marketing.

For AoS this probably means we should expect nothing more than hero in a versus box + tome updates (with a few exceptions like S2D and DBC). I hope I am wrong and sometimes these reports are purposefully jumbled not to reveal too much. So this round of hopium is on me!

I think there will be more then just books and a hero coming for AoS in the future. 

As per the report, they have more machines now to make product, have consolidated everything back to in house and expanded design teams. 

All that speaks to a increase in output of products. 

We're already seeing it. 

Warcry and kill team getting quarterly big boxes, underworlds set every 6 months. 

HH being considered a 3rd core game and I would think the hope is The Old World becomes a 4th.

It seems they are trying new ways to forecast with what they are doing with the new LOTR starter set. Speaking of LOTR seems to be getting way more support recently. 

The report started AoS has been affected by global issues and don't forget Dominion was one of last years biggest seller if not the biggest, so I don't fear for AoS future. 

Also, don't forget, 40k had a big lull with just a few books and hero's released. 

Regarding the game becoming more complex and expensive to get into, I dont think it's anymore complex to play now than it was a year ago. You don't have to buy or play with the new generals handbook. 

The game can be as complex as you make it, I'm teaching my nephew how to play, just using what's on Warscrolls, not worrying about grand straties, battle tactics, battilions or such and he's having a blast, as am I. 

I want this drought of AoS releases to end as much as anyone, I love painting new armies and pouring over new books and I have faith it will come. 

Until then I'll be painting the pile of opportunity (there is no shame in this hobby!) and saving money! 

Edited by Ogregut
  • Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

The Seraphon RE makes me thinks that those armies updated with the White dwarf will get more than a battletome and hero.
See also the RE that seems FeC themed....and iirc they also got only a FeC update.
Perhaps all those armies were put in the backburner to be expanded next year\later like the World eaters in 40k (they got a WD update recently and their codex will come probably this winter\q1 of 2023).

Edited by Snorri Nelriksson
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Beliman said:

I'm not a fan of the Valkia trailer. I get what they want to tell, rage and more rage that can be turned in to a moral burst yadda yadda... but appart from a few wallpaper frames and the proto-painbringers, it's a bit meh, for me at least.

I’m sticking with the Curseling, after all it’s getting a new model! But I honestly hope that the chaos designs shown in this dlc (and beyond) get used by gw to update the range. There’re some truly lovely sculpts for a whole range of units in there, it’d be a shame if they never make it out onto the tabletop. 

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

The Seraphon RE makes me thinks that those armies updated with the White dwarf will more than a battletome and hero.
See also the RE that seems FeC themed....and iirc they also got only a FeC update.
Perhaps all those armies were put in the backburner to be expanded next year\later like the World eaters in 40k (they got a WD update recently and their codex will come probably this winter\q1 of 2023).

Id love that!! Would make sense as GW obviously knew that post pandemic it would take months even years to get back on track and were ahead of the game by giving the bigger updated armies their Tome Celestials.

2 hours ago, Ogregut said:

I think there will be more then just books and a hero coming for AoS in the future. 

As per the report, they have more machines now to make product, have consolidated everything back to in house and expanded design teams. 

All that speaks to a increase in output of products. 

We're already seeing it. 

Warcry and kill team getting quarterly big boxes, underworlds set every 6 months. 

HH being considered a 3rd core game and I would think the hope is The Old World becomes a 4th.

It seems they are trying new ways to forecast with what they are doing with the new LOTR starter set. Speaking of LOTR seems to be getting way more support recently. 

The report started AoS has been affected by global issues and don't forget Dominion was one of last years biggest seller if not the biggest, so I don't fear for AoS future. 

Also, don't forget, 40k had a big lull with just a few books and hero's released. 

Regarding the game becoming more complex and expensive to get into, I dont think it's anymore complex to play now than it was a year ago. You don't have to buy or play with the new generals handbook. 

The game can be as complex as you make it, I'm teaching my nephew how to play, just using what's on Warscrolls, not worrying about grand straties, battle tactics, battilions or such and he's having a blast, as am I. 

I want this drought of AoS releases to end as much as anyone, I love painting new armies and pouring over new books and I have faith it will come. 

Until then I'll be painting the pile of opportunity (there is no shame in this hobby!) and saving money! 

I do not think AoS is going to be buried away just that the releases are going to be crowded with a lot more power armour. My comment was focused on the release cycles of battletomes which aren't released in a round-robin style but rather than big sellers are cycled back in before other unreleased tomes. Eventually they get to all of them but we have seen certain factions getting preferential treatment.

The complexity isn't just about new players but your ability to keep yourself in the loop. That said, GW are improving in terms of digital releases but even so, it could become a bit much when you'll need different books for different incarnates, battlepacks, and so on. Guess we'll see and perhaps I just gotta accept the fact I'm more of a casual gamer these days.

I wholeheartedly agree on the pile of opportunity and I think it is something which should be more widely talked about and encouraged. Rather than seeing it as a point of shame see it as a point of inspiration and drive to finish stuff before buying more. That's also why I'm rather annoyed at the bundles and versus boxes since they add more and more gray stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beliman said:

It's definitely the weakest of the trailers in my opinion, also feels pretty rushed. I also think it's telling people seemed more excited about how cool the new Slaanesh Lord looks compared to her, although that might have something to do with her model already being leaked.

Her spending half the trailer getting beaten up probably doesn't help.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It depends because being a best seller doesn’t mean you get your release out faster, often it a metric of how GW plan their schedule and how big each release are. Though Best seller are more likely get big or consistent releases.

some armies like Eldar and CSM, two very stable army in 40K where on the tail end of the edition release because they where associated with a big model release and where fitted in the schedule later on.

it possible that DoK and LRL got tomes earlier despite having recent book could have been due to larger army releases being push back till next year and they simple got release now because they both are small size releases

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clan's Cynic said:

It's definitely the weakest of the trailers in my opinion, also feels pretty rushed. I also think it's telling people seemed more excited about how cool the new Slaanesh Lord looks compared to her, although that might have something to do with her model already being leaked.

Her spending half the trailer getting beaten up probably doesn't help.

The trailer didn't really hit right for me either. I think the issue is that it didn't divulge her personality at all - well, besides angry and shrieks a lot. 

Looking at the Azazel trailer, you see him lounging back as a warlord marches through his army, talking to his tail nonchalantly. You can tell a lot about his personality as he looks onwards at the Khorne lord excited, laughing before they fight. 

Valkia, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any particular personality trait besides angry - and perhaps that's the point, all things considered, but it does make her appear boring. 

But yeah, getting beaten up by random warriors doesn't really help her case either - even if Khorne doesn't have an interesting personality, he should at least have cool champions. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Enoby said:

But yeah, getting beaten up by random warriors doesn't really help her case either - even if Khorne doesn't have an interesting personality, he should at least have cool champions. 

The duality of Khorne: He is super one-note, but that note is perfect and super beloved.

Personally, I have made my peace with the fact that nobody will take Khorne in an interesting thematic direction and am now just valuing his over the top ANGERY sillyness for what it is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

Valkia, Slaves to Darkness releases, new Khorne, Seraphon rumour engine.... possible Ogors in Warcry!

Everything is coming up Neverchosen... now give us Beasts of Chaos, Malerion and Chaos Dwarves and I will shut up.

Ogors in Warcry, possible King Brodd kit. Hopefully some new Troggoths. Things will eventually pick up for AOS.

• LOVE IT! 1

19 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Ogors in Warcry, possible King Brodd kit. Hopefully some new Troggoths. Things will eventually pick up for AOS.

Ogors and Brodd are two feasible new kits but new Troggoths are nearly impossible. If Gitz are gonna receive a new kit I think it will be a small mounted grot, shaman or priest hero than a new unit.

8 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Ogors and Brodd are two feasible new kits but new Troggoths are nearly impossible. If Gitz are gonna receive a new kit I think it will be a small mounted grot, shaman or priest hero than a new unit.

I could see a Troggoth as a wandering monster for Warcry or Fellwater Troggs eventually getting updated.

• Like 1

I could easily see a Troggoth Hag/Wizard/Priest being added. It is a piece that is missing from the tome imho. That being said i would rather see updated Spiderfang Cav + Hero + a footslogging battleline unit of "forest goblins" with webslingers/ blowpipes or something fun. This drought of Destruction tome rumours is making me thirsty....sigh...

• Like 1

I don't have warhammer+ and don't really want to, but the way they describe this new Darkoath episode of hammer and bolter really makes me wish I could see it.

And maybe more importantly, we have the first (I think) official look at a Cog Fort!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/10/this-weeks-hammer-bolter-shows-that-monsters-are-very-real-in-the-mortal-realms/

f40KA3Rmc2I1imzc.jpg

Edited by GenericEdgyName
  • Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 3

Currently watching the Darkoath episode on W+ (without audio, *cough* in work *cough*).

Great episode so far and interestingly the Cities of Sigmar folk look very different than the current Freeguild models. 

They look more like Conquistadors mixed with feudal soldiers, definitely reminds me of the little snippet we got during the Cities of Sigmar revamp preview. Here's hoping anyway.

• LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, GenericEdgyName said:

I don't have warhammer+ and don't really want to, but the way they describe this new Darkoath episode of hammer and bolter really makes me wish I could see it.

And maybe more importantly, we have the first (I think) official look at a Cog Fort!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/10/this-weeks-hammer-bolter-shows-that-monsters-are-very-real-in-the-mortal-realms/

f40KA3Rmc2I1imzc.jpg

Just watched it, amazing. The animation has improve massively. And I feel like it’s a good sign that the two AoS episodes have been among the best

• Like 2