The Rumour Thread

I wouldnt expect the next stage of narrative to just be Nagash throwing his weight around - Nurgle has already begun his Blightwar invading all the realms, while Tzeentch has been poised to make a move since the end of All Gates. With DoT well established, and enough Order factions to represent the Free Cities, i think 2018 will look at a whole range of baddies!

9 hours ago, Davariel said:

I'm at once excited and a little apprehensive about this darker new age and return of death being hinted at. On the one hand it all sounds awesome in and of itself - narrative progression and Nagash returning in a big way is a big thumbs up. I love that GW is daring to move things forward.

But... (and this may be an unpopular opinion) I wonder if Age of Sigmar is actually ready to leap forward like that. It's a little hard to take GA Death seriously as a threat when it's roughly the same size as the Stormcast product line, never mind the entire rest of Order. A clampack and 1-2 new boxes won't really change that (especially when they'll probably be matched by new Stormcast releases xD). Wouldn't it be better if they spent a year releasing/fleshing out 2-3 new death armies first?

Okay, who's to say they won't be doing this before releasing Malign Portents proper? Remember, Soul Wars, the campaign's tie in is released in June, so that gives you half a year of time to build up.

On 07/11/2017 at 12:46 PM, stato said:

They said in the B&G seminar the new logo was the start of a darker season of Sigmar (season being an unspecified period of time). Upto now the game (realms) have shown their light and good side, now its about showing and building the dark background.  The key thing that was repeated often, the good guys might not always be 'that' good.  No idea if this will be a new game, armies, or books.  But I think its safe to say we will probably see all those in some form.

On 07/11/2017 at 1:39 PM, BobbyB said:

Regarding the 40k/AoS balance they mentioned in the seminar that 'you would expect the elastic to snap back the other way at some point'. Can't wait!

Could you please tell us more about the B&G seminar ?  I wish someone did a little summary :)

I've read many exciting things for 2018 in here (thank you JReynolds, Killax and Gaz Taylor) !

BRING IT ON ! I'll gladly wait 2018 if it means tons of new releases (like the "elastic snaping back" and all this talk about GW dealing with production issus seem to imply).

What I especially want to see is Nagash retaking Shyish in a brutal campaigns, then assaulting the All-Gate at Gothizzar, and then RANSACKING THE VARANSPIRE.

(Or do the same somewhere in Azyr, Hades attacking Olympus-style. It's even suggested in one go the audio drama, Nagash himself talking about the "golden pillars of Azyrheim").

20 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Could you please tell us more about the B&G seminar ?  I wish someone did a little summary :)

Too be honest, the summary is on the Community Site - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/11/03/news-codexes-heroes-blood-glorygw-homepage-post-3/

Nobody really got much more information than this but I was at the back and didn't really hear much. I think the following got asked and answered... (note these answers are my fuzzy memory from the Friday night which has been tainted with lack of sleep from a projectile vomiting child and doing lots of audit stuff at work).

Q - FAQs. What is the process for these

A - Post the question on the Facebook page for the game. The Community team will collect info and pass onto Design Studio who may answer and it gets put into a FAQ.

Q - There seems to be a lot of talk about 'Seasons' in AOS. What do you mean by this. (This was asked as the title video we saw mentioned the Season of Hope was over)

A - A season is like a period of time and can range from a few days to centuries. The idea is that it's a theme that they work in when designing the models, art, background and rules. At the moment the game has been pretty much set in an Season of Hope. Sigmar and his Allies have been able to push back the tide of Chaos and establish thriving cities in the Mortal Plains, The Everqueen has awoken and his cleansing her lands of taint and the Kharadron have come out of their seclusion and trading with the other races. All in all, it is good for the forces of Order. They've decided to change this now and it looks like we will see a darker tone :D 

Q - Do you have different teams in the Design Studio for the different games?

A - No. If it has the word "Warhammer" in it anybody in the studio will get involved as they all bounce cool ideas off each other. So you could have somebody doing some art for 40K which influences the design on a Age of Sigmar model (and visa versa).

Hope that helps ;) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well GW did a little summary of it on the community site! There wasn't much other than what's on there that was said.

Off the top of my head things that came up in the Q&A:

Malign Portents will make AoS darker, advance the timeline and hopefully deepen the fluff at the same time.  It will effect everyone in AoS but will be focussed on specific realms.

I asked about whether there would be any AoS crossover with the daemon's book and they said any miniatures they make for 40k daemons are usually compatible with AoS...strange they didn't mention miniatures!;)

40k but mentioned Space Wolves would feature in chapter approved

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So the celestial warbringers are the new phoenixguard ?(knowledge of their death, fearless...)

It sounds too like the spacemarine-treatment with the different kinds.

I hope there will be more story from not stormcast-view like city of secrets and the new reynolds-book.

Edited by obaobaboss

9 hours ago, obaobaboss said:

So the celestial warbringers are the new phoenixguard ?(knowledge of their death, fearless...)

It sounds too like the spacemarine-treatment with the different kinds.

I hope there will be more story from not stormcast-view like city of secrets and the new reynolds-book.

I'm not singling you out only because there are far more egregious posts of this nature and you're fine to express your hopes and doubts (and do so pretty reasonably). This is also a bit of a rumour thread tangent ... but I have to say it:

Do people truly not understand how the 'poster boy' setup of the GW systems work?

Look at 40k. It's a rich and storied universe now skewed, heavily to space marines of the good or bad kind. They are the poster boys. There are lots of stories where they aren't the focus but there are very few stories where at least one doesn't appear at some point.

AoS will be the same - people will get their non-stormcast pov lore and stories. People will get their non-stormcast model and rules releases!

BUT

The whole tapestry is woven for Stormcast to stride across the centre of. Just like Space Marines in 40k. People don't like it there either sometimes but have come to terms with it.

I understand how people want to see more but, especially as I'm mainly a stormcast player and get excited when their stuff pops up (I know, choosing them as army no.1 has me spoiled!), no more sarcastic surprise if a Stormcast is mentioned in connection with a release not focused on them: or if Stormcast get marketing space on a new poster; or if (I dread the boards on this day) AoS gets a 2nd edition and it's new Stormcast v new Skaven in the box.

I'm convinced every time someone complains GW commissions another SC sculpt.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to their counter-opinion but if either opinion or counter opinion is expressed too often it drags forums off kilter and makes things a bit stale! For example, I'm not going to post this every time I see someone complain about stormcast - I've seen it in hundreds of posts but have only spoke up maybe twice. When tired.

This message has been brought to you by an average fan of the poster boys.

Edited by Turragor
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 08/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

Hope that helps ;) 

Thank you very much ! Hope the Nurgling got better (I know this kind of situation) ;)

On 08/11/2017 at 5:27 PM, BobbyB said:

Off the top of my head things that came up in the Q&A:

Thank you too !

Well I've read the summary many times, it was IMO too short on Malign Portent, but anyway I'm so so excited for 2018.

So thanks to all of you. (And on a side note  : I bought the Shadespire core set yesterday, and the little AoS flyer in it already have the new Malign Portent logo ! ).

43 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Thank you very much ! Hope the Nurgling got better (I know this kind of situation) ;)

Thanks. He’s better but not 100% as not quite back to eating how he used to.

45 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Well I've read the summary many times, it was IMO too short on Malign Portent, but anyway I'm so so excited for 2018.

I know what you mean but again if you look back at this year it’s been amazing for big releases, so I’m happy to keep some for next year. GW are doing amazing stuff, so reward them with a bit of faith and spend lots of money when it’s out! 

PS - Shadespire is amazing. Buy all the stuff

• Thanks 1

@Turragor Thanks for a very insightful and clearly expressed view. We get lot of people complaining about more Stormcast releases, so it's good to hear from the other side of the fence once in a while!

You make a lot of good points about how GW treats their poster boy factions. I agree completely regarding the "main character" status of Stormcast; I don't like them much myself, but I can see they're going to stay in the spotlight. That's probably something we all just have to accept, for better or for worse.

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

I guess what I'm saying is everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to their counter-opinion but if either opinion or counter opinion is expressed too often it drags forums off kilter and makes things a bit stale!

You're absolutely right (and I'm probably guilty of more than a few sarcastic asides at the expense of the Stormcasts myself :$ - for that I apologise). Posts just complaining again aren't productive and should probably stay in our heads. I think there's still a space for criticism of Stormcasts (or anything else), but such criticisms should be well-reasoned and give people something to respond to and talk about in a civilised manner. Am I being too idealistic here? xD

4 hours ago, Turragor said:

The whole tapestry is woven for Stormcast to stride across the centre of. Just like Space Marines in 40k. People don't like it there either sometimes but have come to terms with it.

Again I think you've hit the nail on the head. But I think this also speaks to one of the biggest problems AoS faces (and probably the source of much complaining) - GW is trying to have Stormcasts stride across the tapestry when they haven't finished weaving the tapestry yet. So much of the setting, the factions, the backstory is given little to no attention, or only a few shallow pages or fluff, and so on, that when Stormcast get more attention it just calls attention to the holes in the world.

But anyway, this is all getting a bit too far off topic. If you want to contiune the discussion I'd be happy to do so in another thread :)

In the meantime, uh, RUMOURS RUMOURS RUMOURS

• Thanks 6

On 11/10/2017 at 3:30 PM, Turragor said:

I'm not singling you out only because there are far more egregious posts of this nature and you're fine to express your hopes and doubts (and do so pretty reasonably). This is also a bit of a rumour thread tangent ... but I have to say it:

Do people truly not understand how the 'poster boy' setup of the GW systems work?

Look at 40k. It's a rich and storied universe now skewed, heavily to space marines of the good or bad kind. They are the poster boys. There are lots of stories where they aren't the focus but there are very few stories where at least one doesn't appear at some point.

AoS will be the same - people will get their non-stormcast pov lore and stories. People will get their non-stormcast model and rules releases!

BUT

I understand how people want to see more but, especially as I'm mainly a stormcast player and get excited when their stuff pops up (I know, choosing them as army no.1 has me spoiled!), no more sarcastic surprise if a Stormcast is mentioned in connection with a release not focused on them: or if Stormcast get marketing space on a new poster; or if (I dread the boards on this day) AoS gets a 2nd edition and it's new Stormcast v new Skaven in the box.

I'm convinced every time someone complains GW commissions another SC sculpt.

I guess what I'm saying is everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone is entitled to their counter-opinion but if either opinion or counter opinion is expressed too often it drags forums off kilter and makes things a bit stale! For example, I'm not going to post this every time I see someone complain about stormcast - I've seen it in hundreds of posts but have only spoke up maybe twice. When tired.

This message has been brought to you by an average fan of the poster boys.

Ultimately, it comes down to sales. Sace marines are as they are because they sell fantastically well. Stormcast are the way they are because space marines sell fantastically well. If stormcast don't do space marine numbers though, they won't remain graced forever.

On 10/11/2017 at 11:06 PM, Gaz Taylor said:

Thanks. He’s better but not 100% as not quite back to eating how he used to.

(...)

PS - Shadespire is amazing. Buy all the stuff

Courage, hope he will soon ! And for Shadespire : done ;)

Other news :

Hastings said today on War Of Sigmar that : "AFAIK AoS modular scenery has been done, and is also still being done. I heard a rumour a while back now about some large fortress (hopefully not the Khorne one) and possibly siege rules." 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2550 

Please be true, I want to build my own City of Sigmar !

Edited by HorticulusTGA

6 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Courage, hope he will soon ! And for Shadespire : done ;)

Other news :

Hastings said today on War Of Sigmar that : "AFAIK AoS modular scenery has been done, and is also still being done. I heard a rumour a while back now about some large fortress (hopefully not the Khorne one) and possibly siege rules." 

https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/2550 

Please be true, I want to build my own City of Sigmar !

Given the slow removal deadhold, I think it could be soon! 

On 11/11/2017 at 1:07 AM, Davariel said:

Again I think you've hit the nail on the head. But I think this also speaks to one of the biggest problems AoS faces (and probably the source of much complaining) - GW is trying to have Stormcasts stride across the tapestry when they haven't finished weaving the tapestry yet. So much of the setting, the factions, the backstory is given little to no attention, or only a few shallow pages or fluff, and so on, that when Stormcast get more attention it just calls attention to the holes in the world.

If we look at the whole purpose of Age of Sigmar its the Stormcast pushing out to discover what is happening in the realms, so the tapestry is being revealed from the perspective of the Stormcast. Tapestry is a good choice of words in this case actually, as thats exactly what they do, write the story from a perspective of one side.

Edited by stato
  • Like 4

I just had an illumination... Okay, it's "educated" guess at best, but : 

I think the Herald Of Order will be the azyrite architect Valius Maliti (cf. the Seeds Of Hope and Disciples Of Tzeentch fluff) ;

For 4 reasons :

1) He is already named in the fluff, so there must be a reason for it. (And the Knight of Shroud, Herald Of Death, is a also named character).

2) He is the one who lead the construction of many of Order's new cities. So he can be seen as "representing" many factions, as those cities are "multicultural".

3) IMO Malign portents is a more than just 4 new heroes. If it's huge, there will be new factions too (like Nurgle, Darkoath, Deathrattle, etc.) and there will be new sceneries. As Warhammer TV and Hastings said (supra), we think those sceneries will be for Order, i.e. new buildings / fortresses. If those come in 2018, it ties again with Valius Maliti nicely, as the architect of those cities.

4) The feather here (and the little parchment in the corner) makes many people think of a "Free people" character. Again, that could be Valiti (cf. the Marco Colombo mini for WFB).

RumourEngine-Sep12hrvs.jpg

Edited by HorticulusTGA
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, HorticulusTGA said:

I just had an illumination... Okay, it's "educated" guess at best, but : 

4) The feather here (and the little parchment in the corner) makes many people think of a "Free people" character. Again, that could be Valiti (cf. the Marco Colombo mini for WFB).

RumourEngine-Sep12hrvs.jpg

I hadn't noticed the little bit of parchment. Its got Empire written all over it in that case. 

w0ujefha4bo1.bmp

8 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I hadn't noticed the little bit of parchment. Its got Empire written all over it in that case. 

Yes, and an Empire / Free people character wouldn't necessarily be a good "Herald of Order" candidate, but if it's the architect of a majority of their cities, then it makes more sense. An architect is a cool concept, as was the Lustria explorator Marco Colombo. 

Marco_Colombo_Miniature_2.jpg