The Rumour Thread

40 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

I should say never saw them played, I had plenty of GW catalogues and always wanted some of the awesome Halfling minis...

I have been thinking of going 3rd party and getting some haflings to build as freepeoples to run alongside my SCE 

Have you tried Mantic? 
https://www.manticgames.com/games/kings-of-war/kings-of-war-factions/halflings/

• Like 3

Not giving the Darkoath the cultist keyword is just dumb. They wouldn't be competitive with Marauders even with it except in Idolators where they get the marauder charge thing, and even then it's sorta questionable due to the base size difference. 

It's like GW has some compulsion to make warcry stuff bad...even when they design a scroll that doesn't totally suck, they manage to cripple it somehow. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I have been thinking of going 3rd party and getting some haflings to build as freepeoples to run alongside my SCE 

I got a pack of Lord of the Rings Hobbits to use as crew for my ironweld arsenal, with a bit of bashing to replace mini axes with tools or signal flags.

8 hours ago, tupavko said:

Honestly I do not (want) to believe the rumor that the only thing BoC are getting is a Jabber model.

The issue with BoC is that they need a total rehaul of every single aspect of the army from the core concept of it. If they are ambushers from the dark then they should ambush better than evryone else, something that is not the case at the moment.  Gw simply did not think out the army as a whole, so it kept dragging itslef out of WHFB with the models basically behaving the same way they did (badly) in the past: small guys in large numebers in the first spot, medium guys in large numbers in a second and bigger guys in a thrid spot... The army is just a mess from all points of view: they have no lore in AoS other than random cannonfodder, they charcaters have no agendas except a random mentioning of Morghur and Krakanrok. The lore talks about ambushing but the game mechanic is basically the same that it as in WHFB. They are a melee army that hits like a wet noodle, and their wrscrolls basically stay untouched since AoS 1.0, and when it actually happened to redesign them they went the wrong way: look at the Jabber boosting the worng army, or the Beastlord who got worse. 

It's an army that lacks good characters: all melee ones are garbage, have low damage output, and have low survivability, I mean the lizard-vampire has a 3+ save, while a Shaggoth has a 4+... Come on, some of those guys are older than Kroak...

I'm a big BoC fan, but if this is the plotline the army has to follow, and GW can't sort it out just kill it. I'd prefer that and move the beastmen into the god armies as support troops (tzaangors, slaangors and so on) rather than keep living it the ethernal quagmire.  

Last thing, the army is old, most of the models are from 10-20 years old, giving them a new Jabber will not sort out the issues (unless the new Jabber is something like the one in Total War and then you make a spam army of those and look them wrack havoc upon the aenemy but I doubt it). Boc need to be taken by GW to the concept board and think it out if they are to endure, cause at the moment they just lack on all the aspects of the game that matter (not only in terms of how good the army is, but also how good it looks, how interseting to play it is, how cool are they mechanics, and even in terms of lore...)

PS - Unofrtunatelly most of these things are shared with the Skaven at the moment which is weird considering Skaven are one of the GW's favorites.

Ive come to realise over the last few years that all games workshop games are a hot mess! ... A heady mixture of thematic rules written by under paid employees who care deeply about the lore and hobby, and competitive rules written by underpaid staff who just want cool rules.

GW is making a fortune, if they want to continue to do so they must, in my opinion, begin to pay the men and women behind their success not just fairly, but well. And then they must insist on internal and external balancing across all factions being a part of the actual process, and not just an after thought.

Just my opinions ... I never have, and never will work for GW.

• Like 10
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, CarkFish said:

Ive come to realise over the last few years that all games workshop games are a hot mess! ... A heady mixture of thematic rules written by under paid employees who care deeply about the lore and hobby, and competitive rules written by underpaid staff who just want cool rules.

GW is making a fortune, if they want to continue to do so they must, in my opinion, begin to pay the men and women behind their success not just fairly, but well. And then they must insist on internal and external balancing across all factions being a part of the actual process, and not just an after thought.

I've still to see any evidence that GW staff are unfairly or underpaid other than from youtubers making claims to get lots of views to make money. 

As for balance,it will never be perfect  with so many working parts. 

The day I stopped worrying about rules and instead took what I thought looked cool and focused more on narrative the more I enjoyed the hobby. 

Rules come and go, cool models and memories of fun games last. 

My orruks often charge into combats they shouldn't because that's what orruks should do. 

You won't find my skaven warlord anywhere near danger if he can help it  and my noble Knight who leads his flesh eater court will seek out the enemy general to engage in honorable one on one combat. 

• Like 17

28 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I've still to see any evidence that GW staff are unfairly or underpaid other than from youtubers making claims to get lots of views to make money. 

As for balance,it will never be perfect  with so many working parts. 

The day I stopped worrying about rules and instead took what I thought looked cool and focused more on narrative the more I enjoyed the hobby. 

Rules come and go, cool models and memories of fun games last. 

My orruks often charge into combats they shouldn't because that's what orruks should do. 

You won't find my skaven warlord anywhere near danger if he can help it  and my noble Knight who leads his flesh eater court will seek out the enemy general to engage in honorable one on one combat. 

I appreciate your reply. And you make very valid points...  I would firstly suggest that whilst you may not have seen any "evidence" that staff are underpaid, neither have you seen any that they are not. Additionally, we do as you point out have plenty of claims (for varying motivations) for the former, and none for the latter.

Secondly, I feel you have somewhat missed my point, but that's fine 😉

Edited by CarkFish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

I've still to see any evidence that GW staff are unfairly or underpaid other than from youtubers making claims to get lots of views to make money

James Hewitt described the salary and conditions on twitter, I was shocked at how low the wages were. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, MarkK said:

James Hewitt described the salary and conditions on twitter, I was shocked at how low the wages were. 

Have you read his blog article on the subject matter? He goes into more detail about stuff and clarifies a lot. 

Not sure where he got the £2.50 from tho, I worked at GW as a key timer around the same time and I defo wasn't on £2.50. 

Anyway, this isn't the place to discuss this which has been done to death anyway, back to rumours! 

Watching the latest loremasters episode about Nagash, he still has 4 mortarchs to reveal, who do we think they are? 

Could the carrion king be one for the flesh eaters should Nagash ever find him? 

• Like 1

This is probably wishful thinking on my part but the fact the new darkoath warband doesn't have "cultist" keyword is a sign an actual darkoath sub-faction is in the works. Possibly the changes to warqueen, ect, in whitedwarf is a temporary thing and could change with an updated tome, whenever that is.

Also why haven't i heard anyone guess the rumor engine is spider rider? 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarkFish said:

For me it's not a matter of balance or rules performance. It's a matter of overall quality. I do not think they payed their employees better in the past, still 6th edition BoC book was (and still is) a treasure. Never been competitive, but man the fluff in that book, just on the first page with the little imperial children song "Tomas the Wanderer" is worth all of the last narrative GW has produced across all of its games. 

I can deal with "uncompetitive", but I do not want to deal with lazy and uninspired...

Edited by tupavko
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ogregut said:

Watching the latest loremasters episode about Nagash, he still has 4 mortarchs to reveal, who do we think they are? 

Could the carrion king be one for the flesh eaters should Nagash ever find him?

Interesting. We have the big 3 plus lady Olynder and Katakros.

Going for the full 9 I'd put money on Ushoran being one for Ghouls. I also bet on another Vampire and maybe a Wight king and a Necromancer.

1 hour ago, SeanMaguire1991 said:

Interesting. We have the big 3 plus lady Olynder and Katakros.

Going for the full 9 I'd put money on Ushoran being one for Ghouls. I also bet on another Vampire and maybe a Wight king and a Necromancer.

Which were Vlad, Krell and Kemmler in the world that was. 

I'll love for Vlad to return, would be interesting with him and Mannfred around. 

And Krell and Kemmler could be a 2 for 1 job, a powerful caster and his body guard. 

8 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Dont forget the Blood Bowl team mate!!

Slippery slope my friend, slippery slope. If ever I got into Blood Bowl: Halflings, Ogres and Snotlings would be my teams. I will always love Chaos, but if I am playing a silly fantasy version of American Football I am going for the most fun looking teams! 

8 hours ago, Jator said:

This is my go to if I ever try out my halfling freeguild idea. I do think I'd need a second job to pay for my hobby at that point though. I will try and stick to my current armies and maybe one day round out my collection with a death army and have one of each grand alliance. Although my friends are pushing me to try out 40k. However, with Old World on the horizon I still might need to get some Halflings to make believe they are Empire troops. 

7 hours ago, EntMan said:

I got a pack of Lord of the Rings Hobbits to use as crew for my ironweld arsenal, with a bit of bashing to replace mini axes with tools or signal flags.

That sounds amazing any photos?

Just as an aside I loved playing Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game (back when it was just LOTR) and going through the book looking up every description I could find for the characters to try and paint them as close to Tolkien's vision as I could. I still used my own imagination and the film for inspiration but whenever I found a contradiction I stuck with the book. I also became pretty proficient in my Elvish at the time looking for hints of characteristics in names...

Okay, back to rumours... 

Does anyone expect any more terrain sets for Warcry? 

• Like 3

Just a little heads up. In Japan GW has added a Nurgle bundle to the Warhammer day sale. It's both start collecting sets and an extra box of nurglings for ¥22,120. They cost ¥31,600 when bought individually. 

This deal might start appearing in other stores today. 

It does make me slightly worried that they might be phasing those start collecting boxes out. 

• LOVE IT! 2

Well sadly I think eventually they will discontinue all the SC boxes. They already are phasing out the 40K ones and I doubt Sigmar gets the exception either. My GW store owner already said that if you want an Ironjawz SC better get it now because they beginning to phase the AoS ones too. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Well sadly I think eventually they will discontinue all the SC boxes. They already are phasing out the 40K ones and I doubt Sigmar gets the exception either. My GW store owner already said that if you want an Ironjawz SC better get it now because they beginning to phase the AoS ones too. 

The start collecting boxes in 40k are being replaced by "combat patrols" - they aren't as interesting in terms of pricing, but they can essentially make a small army playable out the box, which didn't always work that well with the SC

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DoctorPerils said:

The start collecting boxes in 40k are being replaced by "combat patrols" - they aren't as interesting in terms of pricing, but they can essentially make a small army playable out the box, which didn't always work that well with the SC

Well yes combat patrol style boxes are going to be the future in terms of army starter boxes for both system eventually.

16 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

Everything about that book and the Darkoath/Cultist/Warcry stuff is odd and a poorly internally and externally balanced mess. Even after a WD tome update it is disjointed and senseless and now they add cultists that are not cultists to add to the confusion and messyness.

I wish they never made the Warcry bands under Std. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, JangutzKhan said:

I wish they never made the Warcry bands under Std. 

StD really need a rewrite in order to:

- Get their theme right (Knights and Warriors need to be menacing, not pathetic | Tzeentch Demon Princes should be wizards etc.)

- Cleaning the bloat and outdated abilities

- Massive Warscroll rewrites for all Warcry warbands (combine them to a single cultist horde with unified rules)

- Nerfing of Archaon

- Be creative :D

• Like 10

13 hours ago, CarkFish said:

Its sector wide but GW are a publically listed company and supposed to have high profit margins. I love the IP and models but there is a lot that couls be better, they should invest morw of that profit in staff and not in keeping shareholders happy imho.