The Rumour Thread

40 minutes ago, Nasnad said:

The pestigors was  also mentioned in the new 40k rulebook. So that could point to that they will release them.

Nice. I'm going to pick up the 40k starter this weekend to get into 40k with some death guard which I'm sure will eventually grow to include nurgle daemons and inevitably spill over into AoS for me. 

Man I would really like to have some of these Nurgle speculations confirmed soon! These ladt couple of weeks have been rather confusing. First it was obvious that a Nurgle update or at least battletome  was on its way since we found out that Nurgle had no alliance abilities in the GHB 2. Then the Blightwar messed with those rumors since it contained the missing abilities. Which also happens to be one out of two reasons foe me to get the set. 

THEN rumors are spreading that the Blightwar abilities are meant for Blightwar only! 

NOW we have fluff bits revealing more stuff to speculate on. IT WOULD BE REALLY NICE TO HAVE THIS SORTED OUT SOON! 

Is Nurgle getting a update/battletome within the next couple of month? Before all this stuff went loose I bought lots of bits and models to start working on my own Epidimius but now I am unsure if it is smarter to just wait and see. Same goes for beasts.

gaaaah just frustrations to be kept in the total dark.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goodapollo4 said:

If you listen to Warhammer Weekly with Vince and Tom this week, Vince highlights that each individual model from the Shadespire warbands will apparently be getting their own individual warscroll (they all have unique names). It remains to be seen if these scrolls will be significantly different from each other, but I think this is really neat, and could add a bunch of unique heroes to all our beloved factions. 

The only issue with this is the limited number of leaders available to your army list.  They would have to actually be very valuable special characters to take them instead of what is already available in that section of your army build.    For example, in my Tzeentch list, would I really sacrifice a Chaos Sorcerer Lord or Herald or Changer of Ways for whatever they come out with for the Chaos group?  Perhaps... if the model is amazing and has at least some ability that would warrant that loss of magical fire power.

It would be interesting if they actually counted as a unit as they appear in Shadespire and all members were accounted for on a single unit warscroll and could be taken in the "other" section of the army build but it all depends on how powerful they are when ported into AoS mechanics.  The Stormcast lady had 4 wounds and I forget what else from watching several demo's... I wonder what her warscroll will look like.

I still don't see anything about war-bands being customizable in Shadespire which has me on the fence about it (along with deck building mechanics which I have never liked) but I do have to say that the war-band packs themselves look really good and I would like to see them in Skirmish type AoS engagements if not incorporating them into a larger force.

Edited by Travis Baumann

3 hours ago, Goodapollo4 said:

If you listen to Warhammer Weekly with Vince and Tom this week, Vince highlights that each individual model from the Shadespire warbands will apparently be getting their own individual warscroll (they all have unique names). It remains to be seen if these scrolls will be significantly different from each other, but I think this is really neat, and could add a bunch of unique heroes to all our beloved factions. 

I was afraid they would do that. If GW keeps up the pace of releases a competitive organized play game, like Shadespire supposes to be, needs, warbands will start to add up quickly and with them a large amount of low-tier Special Characters. That really has the potential to snowball and drive AoS into a direction I personaly would not enjoy, particularly as fast Shadespire releases will quickly outpace regular army releases.

And all for miniatures that represent slightly fancier battleline troops and thus already would have had a warscroll to represent them.

My concerns are far from guaranteed turning out as fear, if GW ensures Shadespire models don't get remotely optimal rules or does not give them points for matched play, it is no more than a gimmick. But the potential of an Age of Special Characters is there, and that is something I would find rather off-putting.

5 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Easy solutions:

1) "No Shadespire characters."

Or, better

2) Don't sweat it. MP is not the be all end all.

Sure, it is hardly a damning point. Its just part of an overall developement that rubs me the wrong way a bit, like Rotbringers at the moment having only one regular unit, but five special characters.

I feel special characters should be reserved for only the most significant figures, the gods and their highest servants. I really liked that figures like Kuhl and the various Lord Celestants where the central characters of the Realmgate Wars, yet where just examples of generic hero models in game, and was hoping that would be the overall approach for Age of Sigmar. But now it looks like that was just a stop-gap and now AoS is moving in the opposite direction. I find that a bit disappointing.

Personally I would prefer either

A) They count as their own unit in game

or 

B) You can substitute them into existing units for a cost.

For example:

You may replace the Liberator-Prime of any Liberator unit with Severin Steelheart for +X points. Severin Steelheart uses the following warscroll:

<<Insert made up Severin Steelheart warscroll here>>

I don't really feel that any of them are 'hero-worthy' status for Age of Sigmar. But I do feel they'd be fine replacing unit leaders or models in units, with slightly different/better rules. I certainly wouldn't be fussed at all if most of them were basically a stock standard Liberator/Bloodreaver/Skeleton/Ardboy just with a special ability/weapon/slightly better statline and came with a very minor points increase to the unit.

I mean, at the end of the day, the big bloke Oberyn the Bold for the Stormcast is just a Liberator with a Grand Hammer, and Angharad Brightshield is just a Liberator with a Hammer and Shield. There's nothing hugely special about them other than having a name.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

I am really digging the helmet on the Knight of Shrouds, but, apart from that, he looks very generic. Like the Shadowspire Deathrattle, I just don't get that "Yes-that is definitely an Age of Sigmar miniature" feel I got from all the other releases so far.

I think that's what I like about this model. It almost seems like a nod back to the Old World of WFB and a nice break from the new aesthetic.

• Like 1

Without getting too distracted (this is the rumour thread), it's possible we may see some of the named Shadespire characters being able to be included as a non-leader, so you'd not be limited in matched play.  Either that or 3 count as 1 leader slot or similar (though I think that's less likely)

21 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

So for anyone without the time/energy to watch it, the Warhammer Weekly video explains that  when the Malign Portents event hits and the Knight of Shrouds and the heralds and the other three grand alliances' heralds are released that if you and your opponent both have available models for your GA's herald you'll each be able to include your respective herald in your army free of charge, similar to the Truthsayer and Dark Emissary in the Dark Shadows/Albion campaign 100 years ago.

Interesting stuff! I wonder what the other heralds for the other Grand Alliances will be? My guesses would be something like:

Chaos: Herald of Archaon. It's the only herald that really works for more than a fifth of the GA - plus I would not be averse to Archaon getting his own Mouth of Sauron type servant...

Destruction: Herald of the Waaaagh! I  wouldn't expect a fighty Ironjawz type herald here, since that would overlap too much with Gordrakk IMO - instead I'd guess a particularly mad shaman whose mere presence makes those around him start thumping each other!

Order: This one's easy since Order is pretty much Sigmar + friends these days... it'll be a Herald of Sigmar. I hope it'll be a badass warrior priest or preacher, but who am I kidding, it'll be another Stormcast. Maybe a named variant of the Knight-Heraldor.

1 hour ago, Davariel said:

Interesting stuff! I wonder what the other heralds for the other Grand Alliances will be? My guesses would be something like:

Chaos: Herald of Archaon. It's the only herald that really works for more than a fifth of the GA - plus I would not be averse to Archaon getting his own Mouth of Sauron type servant...

He had one of those before, didn't work out well for the poor guy in either continuity...

6kIQcKr.jpg?1

Order: This one's easy since Order is pretty much Sigmar + friends these days... it'll be a Herald of Sigmar. I hope it'll be a badass warrior priest or preacher, but who am I kidding, it'll be another Stormcast. Maybe a named variant of the Knight-Heraldor.

There's still hope! Nagash's ghostly guy is on a 25mm base, giving a slim chance that the other heralds are roughly the same size and on the same. Destruction could get a particularly gobby grot, Chaos could have a smaller daemon, and I'm still unrealistically holding out for Order getting a nice dwarf. ;) 

5 hours ago, Screwface said:

I think that's what I like about this model. It almost seems like a nod back to the Old World of WFB and a nice break from the new aesthetic.

3 hours ago, Jamopower said:

It makes sense that the dead have older aesthetics :)

My issue is that Undead are particularly often saddled with a generic aesthetic and conventional approach in Fantasy, so I am eager to see more of that. The Endtimes Models for Death and some of the art for AoS show that GW has some very good ideason how to do less conventional Undead that still aren't to "out there" and that do not go into body horror (the most common time of unconventional Undead, but in Warhammer the department of Chaos).

As I am happy to  repeat, I feel the Art Deko inspired look of AoS meshes very well with the mix of faux-egyptian and old-europe GA:Death inherited from the World that was. So, I am still hoping we will see skeletons that look more like the group picture we got with the initial Shadespire reveal.

I guess I would be fine with the occassional Death model being a nod to old aesthetics or even with Deathrattle being altogether traditional looking, if these wheren't the first Death models we have seen since the Endtimes. In that context I find it concerning that, apart from the Knight of Shrouds helmet, these  no continuity to the Style the End times models developed and seemingly previewed.

18 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

their future scheletons should cover every race and gender, like the undead character from the video game Divinity original sin 2 revealed this week. That would be bold from them and fun for us

You can tell someone's race from their skeleton?!?!?!!?!!?!?!

Maybe the chaos Herald will be Be'lakor.

Love his model, but he could do with an update, and his current warscroll is squashed into daemons of chaos, which only everchosen can use.

Who better to be the ultimate chaos herald though? He crowned archaon in the old world, and he exists under aos although hasn't really made an appearance. He doesn't have ties to any god in particular so plays no favourites. And everyone loves Be'lakor.

Wishful thinking i know. A man can dream:)

2 hours ago, Screwface said:

Ok, I'm with you. It was the coupling of the word "race" with "gender" that threw me - sounded like he was talking about actual races and genders, not made up ones...

Technically you can tell gender too but...that seems like an excessive amount of effort for a 28mm model.