The Rumour Thread

30 minutes ago, Chikout said:

The fact that we have heard hardly anything about the new ranges makes me think they aren't coming that soon. Every day I check the community site for something new and maybe today will be the day. 

Honestly this is probably a more reliable way of thinking about things than by comparing however many years of launches of this or that new box or edition. Too many variables.

16 hours ago, JustAsPlanned said:

I reckon the most Nurgle will get for a while is a plastic hero (this could be anything from something new to an updated Harbinger of Decay, Epidemius, Festus, etc) and a Pestigor unit, as well as some Endless Spells. But aside from that, they’re practically complete. I could see them being pitted against another army that hasn’t had an update in a while like the BoC or the Nighthaunt. Just throw in a nice plastic hero for both sides and boom, new release done.

I am guessing that there will be

Endless Spells, as the only Chaos faction without them they are surely due.

A new Harbinger of Nurgle which will be a Priest as well.  Seems to suit its background, and there has been additional rules for Priests but very few actual models with those rules.  Epidemius is possible with overlap to 40K, Festus least likely?

A new cheap Battleline unit.  Possibly Pestigors to tie into the various chaotic faction beastmen, or perhaps something like Poxwalkers?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

Absolutely!  Chaos Duardin will always hold an appeal, but updated Ogors (thoroughly enjoying painting the Cursed City Ogor atm) and getting rid of the last couple of finecast Khorne models are on my wishlist 😊

Updated Ogors is my realistic dream for 3.0, (my unrealistic being multiple new Sons of Behemat kits and terrain for all Factions) I hope that they also get either Globb or Braggoth as character models.

I feel like 1.0 was setting the scene for the Mortal Realms, 2.0 and BR was establishing and cementing its foundations and now 3.0 will be building upon them.

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

And if those 3 are Kruelboyz, Chaos Duardin and Umbraneth I'll be more than happy for their fans. I'd much rather this Edition be about updating Factions or just refreshing their models.

Skaven, Beasts of Chaos, Seraphon, Ogor Mawtribes, Cities of Sigmar and Flesh Eater Courts players would probably be more than happy if they didnt even recieve New* minis this Edition but simply updated all the sculpts of fine cast or anything from WHFB.

*As in brand new units or heroes.

Flesh Eater Courts wave that goes full crazy twisted knight's would be a dream.  Also updated BoC.  They are still using some of the same models from Fantasy 6th Edition, which I played half my life ago. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Kenk said:

Any insights on what this play testing group are making of Idoneth...? A new book feels well overdue, but it seems silent on the rumour front.

Nothing that I've seen. That said because Idoneth have been a top end army for so long, anyone interested in playing them already has a decent list in place. 

I will see if I can wring anything out but I doubt it.

Idoneth and Maggotkin are obviously the safest bests for new books. The only question is whether there will be any model support.

The focus on Lumineth kits combined with the lack of Idoneth in the narrative suggests to me that they are unlikely to get much love.

57 minutes ago, King Under the Mountain said:

Flesh Eater Courts wave that goes full crazy twisted knight's would be a dream.  Also updated BoC.  They are still using some of the same models from Fantasy 6th Edition, which I played half my life ago. 

Both of those Factions updated could be incredible. From what we've seen from Soulblight and Cursed City, FEC models could look incredible and really delve into the delusion. It would also mean a chance for a new hero, say the Carrion King?

Doubly goes for BOC those minies are 18 years old at this point, only a couple ahead of Ogors and they are in dire need of an update. Especially the Gors, Bullgor, Centigor, Tuskgor Chariot and Razorgor models. 

Heck even update the Chaos Spawn whilst they're at it. 

I want every Faction to recieve either a sizeable update or new unit or hero this Edition alongside Faction specific terrain. It may be a lot to ask but it would be an incredible step forward for AOS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HollowHills said:

Basically GW have a playtester team for age of sigmar who test new rules before they are released. These playtesters also tend to be involved in the competitive end of age of sigmar.

This tends to give them the ability to perceive what will be meta and what won't fairly well in advance.

If an existing faction looks like it will be strong in the new book they often start building up an army prior to release. That way they have a 2k list ready to go for release.

Several have now started to paint Sylvaneth as their next army. This indicates that Sylvaneth are likely to 1) Get a release of some sort in the next year or so 2) That their rules will be quite good.

Oh that sounds good -especially if they get Kurnothi as part of an expansion. Any of them building dwarfs??[Grungni dwarfs will break my wallet..]

45 minutes ago, silverstu said:

Oh that sounds good -especially if they get Kurnothi as part of an expansion. Any of them building dwarfs??[Grungni dwarfs will break my wallet..]

Grungni Dwarfs would also break my wallet... here's hoping.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

I actually still enjoy that Chaos Spawn kit.  I know it's not for everyone, but think if they made a new one, they'd take a lot more of the easy customization out and make me do more work for customization.  I bought like 3 or 4 and put each type in a tacklebox, and it really allowed imagination to fly without the need for extensive greenstuff modeling and conversion skills

I wish I could use them more, if anything.  I always look at my BoC as a more of an 'eldritch horror / goat of the woods' sort of theme. 🙂

• Like 1

I can't help but think some of the LGS might be panicking a bit. Lowering to the normal 15-25% bracket is normal, but much below is quite surprising from a few considering that this boxed set has a 2 week preorder and even if it doesn't sell out the rules and models will still have a several year shelf life

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Both of those Factions updated could be incredible. From what we've seen from Soulblight and Cursed City, FEC models could look incredible and really delve into the delusion. It would also mean a chance for a new hero, say the Carrion King?

Doubly goes for BOC those minies are 18 years old at this point, only a couple ahead of Ogors and they are in dire need of an update. Especially the Gors, Bullgor, Centigor, Tuskgor Chariot and Razorgor models. 

I want every Faction to recieve either a sizeable update or new unit or hero this Edition alongside Faction specific terrain. It may be a lot to ask but it would be an incredible step forward for AOS.

Honestly I feel like bestigors need an update more than gors do. The latter felt mostly good to assemble for me, they have plenty of options and allow for pretty different poses, meanwhile bestigors are almost all posed in a very similar way with little chance to change their stance or play around with their limbs' positioning, and even then I still found myself having to plan the assembly carefully to avoid leaving gaps in their shoulders. Could also be that I just like the unarmored look better (not that I believe bestigors shouldn't have theirs) but some of their armour bits feels a bit uninspired too, lots of unremarkable chainmail sections in my opinion. I wouldn't be too bothered if they weren't updated though, I feel like there's some things that should come first.

I gotta say though, the dragon ogor shaggoth  is one that really stands out to me as something in need of an update, I keep forgetting that it's actually quite a bit smaller than the ghorgon and cygor in the tabletop when I feel like in the lore it shouldn't be that way(?) could be wrong though. The sculpt itself is actually pretty nice but unfortunately it's only available in resin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is gonna be a long 2 weeks… Not really got much on during this time, so I’m mostly just twiddling my thumbs without any other army projects I want to jump into atm.

Eager for more info on the army too, about the new Warclans book and further unit releases. Fingers crossed they do the same as Indomitus and show more reveals on the release day. 🤞

• Like 1

I do wonder if the limited edition book will sell out. It looks lovely, and I'd have bought one at £50-£75, but at £125 it's just far too steep... 

Also, it would be very weird to panic sell a box that will hold its value for years

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tiberius501 said:

This is gonna be a long 2 weeks… Not really got much on during this time, so I’m mostly just twiddling my thumbs without any other army projects I want to jump into atm.

Eager for more info on the army too, about the new Warclans book and further unit releases. Fingers crossed they do the same as Indomitus and show more reveals on the release day. 🤞

I really think that part of the reason why the hype for this box isn’t as high as expected is because we haven’t seen the rest of the models yet. I’m waiting to see what a full Kruleboyz army looks like. I’m sure there are plenty of people like me who want to see whether the two armies have a cool centrepiece model. I’m sure the leak of the Necron monolith and Void Dragon made people more interested in the Indomitus box not less.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Updated Ogors is my realistic dream for 3.0, (my unrealistic being multiple new Sons of Behemat kits and terrain for all Factions) I hope that they also get either Globb or Braggoth as character models.

I feel like 1.0 was setting the scene for the Mortal Realms, 2.0 and BR was establishing and cementing its foundations and now 3.0 will be building upon them.

A new mancrusher imo doesn’t seem out of reach. Especially if they really upgrade Ogors.

• LOVE IT! 1

I do think GW are cheeky charging £125 for a sleeve and different cover. Heck I honestly feel they are cheeky charging double price on most books just for a different cover. I think they do it best with WD where its a special cover for subscribing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Overread said:

I do think GW are cheeky charging £125 for a sleeve and different cover. Heck I honestly feel they are cheeky charging double price on most books just for a different cover. I think they do it best with WD where its a special cover for subscribing.

except for WD you save money 

Its going to be a question of raw sales vs amount produced, there have been some chats about it here and there. I think 3rd is great set and will be a popular edition but some things will hit this starter over others

1.Unlike 40k most people dont have a stormcast army, and unlike marines which like 80% of the players have some form of marine army, or imperial army they can ally to, AOS forces from what ive seen people like their set armies with limited allies. Orruk warclans are similar as I usually see mono clan forces. If the stormcast were say cities of sigmar I could see more people slotting them in.

2.If you dont have either stormcast or greenskin army there is no reason therefor to get the box, I have hedonites and gloomspite so im not jumping to get it. Also as much as I love kruelboyz I do think the sculpts for the nighthaunt were more novel, other gaming systems likely would want them.

3. Kruelboyz are competing vs 40k orks, if you collect both systems you are choosing between kruelboyz now or 40k orks soon. Also many destruction players may have just spent their hobby money on Kragnos

4. No instore/limited hype, I remember in run up to titanicus I was in store often and would get on hype train with friends knowing they were buying in, or more likely to be caught up in moment and buy in. With lockdown ive not played any hobby in a good few months. (cursed city also hits the box game market better being self contained and easier to play at home)

5. The anti scalping set ups worked, stopping them buying 20-30 each is great, but technically that still hurts the sales of the box as 5-10 scalpers could probably have picked up 200 units between them, and if scalpers see that its not instantly sold out they might drop their plans to scalpt it.

We will likely never know the numbers of sales or numbers printed, its possible GW over corrected stock levels after success of cursed city and indomitus, but corrected for a box that due to timing and other stuff might not be as popular. The real questions are going to be "did it sell enough" because shareholders like to see stuff like "sold all stock with desire for more". I think they will want to have sold atleast 75% of stock printed and say rest of 25% was from preventing scalpers, but this is also wave 1 of 2-3 according to some stores so could be issues if wave 1 doesnt sell depending how many copies are on other waves. This however is only really bad for GW, its great for us as we have ready access to the product. 

• Like 1

I think people are hesitant for multiple reasons, I was as well but decided the models were cool enough to get regardless.

We got the Stormcast on one hand, while the new models are cool, nothing about them promises to do anything better or different, this is a new coat of paint for good and bad. Slow footslogging units is rarely a premium in the current meta along with support heroes on foot. For any competitive list I suspect I wont be using any of these models down the line...

They are just being too darn secretive about the Kruleboyz, at least announce something about an upcoming battletome or even then how they fit into the warclans. GW is asking people to buy some random battleline units with a few heroes that only support those rather weak battleline units, with a hero on foot that does the same as the mounted version, and we all know one of them will never actually be used. 

If people knew what this all led up to except vague teases, then it might sell better. People like to actually plan just a little bit when forking over this kind of cash and GW makes it so very hard to plan your purchases at all. The box would probably sell better if they by now had announced upcoming Kruleboyz and Stormcast tomes and how this box would be a perfect starting point to get into either army blablabla marketing speech. 

Indomitus refreshed current ranges, but people were not in doubt about what the armies are and what they are going to be, while I think many are far more unlikely to know if and what the units in the dominion box models will be used for and how they will fit with the current ranges.

Basically GW is just going by "these models are super cool, trust us!".

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Overread said:

I can't help but think some of the LGS might be panicking a bit. Lowering to the normal 15-25% bracket is normal, but much below is quite surprising from a few considering that this boxed set has a 2 week preorder and even if it doesn't sell out the rules and models will still have a several year shelf life

Yeah my local sold all of theirs when pre-orders opened at their usual 20% off. Saw one guy on Facebook say their local place didn't sell all theirs yet but they put it down to £85 and now they've sold out. Seems a bit mad to me, we're still 12 days away from release day.

Edited by Gareth 🍄

2 minutes ago, Gareth 🍄 said:

Yeah my local sold all of theirs when pre-orders opened at their usual 20% off. Saw one guy on Facebook say their local place didn't sell all theirs yet but they put it down to £85 and now they've all gone. Seems a bit mad to me, we're still 12 days away from launch.

1624277318507.png

• Confused 2