The Rumour Thread

55 minutes ago, Feii said:

Don't know if I fully like the sentiment. I think the main and entry level format (matched play from the latest edition in the case of AoS) should be a rotating rule set - like it is. But I kinda wish there was some kind of thought how to play and combine certain features. Would it be a "broken" casual format? Yes. Would it be fun in 10 years time to have some rules for my future boomer self to play with combination of books and  rules from several editions and from books I bought? Also yes. Combining warscroll battalions and their effects with some future game systems (such as the new realm oriented battalions) and with realm artifacts or anvil of apotheosis could be a very fun mode for some part of the playerbase imo. 

In MTG there is a way for me to be nostalgic and play different formats and decades old cards - and I will admit it is easier for MTG to work in that way - but why is it ok for people to just buy rule sets/content that will be completely invalidated in just some years. Hundreds of dollars. All those freight ship emissions and physical books being hauled across half of the planert to be useless in a blink of an eye. 

With tabletop gaming and nerdy stuff becoming more and more mainstream/popular maybe there should be a consideration for nostalgia/longevity of rule sets? 

But you can. Nothing is stopping you playing older editions of the game. I still have the odd game of 8th Ed fanstay and me and a mate are planning some 4th Ed warhammer. 

Keep in mind that these rules are for events at Warhammer World and/or major tournaments being held by GW. There are loads of FLGS and independent GTs that allow 3rd party models, bits, conversions etc.

I think that if GW tried to ban non-gw paint then it would really undermine any efforts for their tournaments to be taken seriously.

9 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

But you can. Nothing is stopping you playing older editions of the game. I still have the odd game of 8th Ed fanstay and me and a mate are planning some 4th Ed warhammer. 

Eh even if you decided to replay the second ed of AoS you wouldn't be sure whether to play with realm artifacts or not in some years time.

1 hour ago, Deakz28 said:

This is when they showed off the new tank, flayed ones and possibly silent king and stuff, so I think this is when we will see the ork centre piece and there will probably be a surprise or two! Oh and they did a mini teaser trailer which showed small parts of various models from different factions and showed one battle sister at the end, this included the now revealed beast snaggas ork, lelith and the skitarii marshal, so we will get a tease, but honestly it’s so vague, the only thing is it’s easy to tell what faction they’re from but that’s it :) hopefully shadow elves will be teased, even if super vague 

Oh mate I'm super hyped now!! I'm hoping for some Ogor teases...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Me too! Just hope they stick to the themes they learnt with indomitus and 40k so we still get the reveal, although at times I do think GW likes us most ;) so I doubt they’d shaft us 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Feii said:

Eh even if you decided to replay the second ed of AoS you wouldn't be sure whether to play with realm artifacts or not in some years time.

That would be up for me and my opponent to decide just like it is now. 

26 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

I think ogors will get a new battletome sooner rather than later as they seem to be in a weird place with the new unit coherency rules. 

Maybe we'll get new bulls with 5 in a box, meaning 5 would be the min size. 

59 minutes ago, PJetski said:

I'm still expecting to see some kind of Stormcast Priest, some kind of shooting unit, a mounted hero, and some kind of cavalry unit.

I remember a rumour going around before Dominion was revealed that called Hobgoblins/SCE (not the "Brettonian Stormcast" youtube guys). I dug out my message to a buddy saying it was a new bow battleline, drake cavalry, flying cavalry, and some heroes. Also mentioned that it was new armour for Stormcast.

Obviously none of those units are in Dominion, but maybe those are new units for the tome's release?

25 minutes ago, Feii said:

Things that are up to people aren't popular and people usually don't have time to decide about that. 

Fairly general sweeping statement there.

11 minutes ago, boyadventurer said:

I remember a rumour going around before Dominion was revealed that called Hobgoblins/SCE (not the "Brettonian Stormcast" youtube guys). I dug out my message to a buddy saying it was a new bow battleline, drake cavalry, flying cavalry, and some heroes. Also mentioned that it was new armour for Stormcast.

Obviously none of those units are in Dominion, but maybe those are new units for the tome's release?

There is new armour in the Dominion box set, the Thunderstrike armour. 

7 minutes ago, Ogregut said:

Fairly general sweeping statement there.

There is new armour in the Dominion box set, the Thunderstrike armour. 

Yeah they had the Hobgoblins and the new armour right, so that's why I'm thinking maybe the units they actually mentioned are still to come and they were just mistaken about what's coming in the box.

To echo what others have been saying, the great thing about tabletop games is that GW can't make you do anything. Don't "burn your armies", you can still do whatever you want at your own table. Play old editions, or adapt old rules and battalions to the new edition. If a rule invalidates the army you've been building for years then change that rule. (or put the army on a shelf and wait for the cycle to swing around again. If the new Hobgrots teach us anything its that what's old is often new again after a while, and you can always proxy things or hack the game to suit you.

I know that Matched play can be a bit restrictive, but its not the be all and end all of the game. For every group who are diehard sticklers for matched play there are several playing the game however they want.

if the local 40K scene is anything to go by, narrative campaigns could well be big this edition. That's what seems to have happened with 40K 9th.

So if you want to do things a little differently, just ask. And if your opponent wants to do things a little differently then be open to the possibility.

Its our hobby after all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Does anyone know a ritual to summon whitefang to your post? ...

As KO collector I will be more than happy to know that too because I'm already ready to spend 1500$ on Fyreslayers for combined duardin tome) 

Edited by cofaxest
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Does anyone know a ritual to summon whitefang to your post? I don't need the winning lottery numbers but I am distressed by the fact I can't run a brass despoilers army anymore. All of a sudden I have a bunch of useless khorne stuff (heroes, terrain, prayers) that I just cant use and it would be a real relief to know that GW at least knows that removing batallions invalidated any beasts of GOD armies and have a fix incoming. Even just "you can ally GOD units" would be fine but it's currently really dampened my excitement to continue working on my converted Beasts of Khorne army.

Never say never.

our army is at the end of the queue to have its page, after the we really want to worship hashut elves.

Probably strategic so as to make us angry.

i think battalions aren’t  going anywhere, sure they’ll change, but i really ain’t worried.

remember we’ve not got the full story yet, and I’d imagine that on release day we may well get battletome addendum/errata to align existing armies to the new edition.

Collect skulls and carry on.

i think people underestimate the convenience and ease of just following GW and their matchplay/ guidline lines then going of and trying new things

that why often time reality of our hobby doing what we want is not really something that comes into fruition which is where there disconnect between hobbyist

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MitGas said:

This would be the perfect time to introduce a "disgust" smiley for a reaction here. 😎👍

In fact we could just have a smiley for elf dwarf and orc etc as the factions themselves say everything we need

Edited by Kaleb Daark
Still suffering ptsd from fighting elf armies in 8th edition fantasy

3 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

In fact we could just have a smiley for elf dwarf and orc etc as the factions themselves say everything we need

What makes you think I'm less disgusted by those? Apart from all my posts that is...

If anything, we need to go the Micolash route to satiate my love for Tzeentch. Admin, grant us eyes... grant us eyes! 👁️‍🗨️

• Haha 1

I’m very excited about the new edition, and from reading the rules I feel that GW was able to address a number of problems that AoS second edition had. I’m particularly happy about how the new Command Point system works, and the new core battalions being a standard that is available to everyone.

I’m still unsure if the benefits of going second will be enough to offset the advantage of getting priority: I have a feelings it’s going to be very dependent on the army being played. OBR, from example, don’t use command points and wouldn’t benefit from receiving the more CP if they go second, and would be in a much better position if they were to go first. 

As a side note, I’m both a Slaanesh and Khorne player; I was pretty disappointed with HoS’ initial release back in February, but now I’m pretty excited to be putting some Slaanesh mortals on the tabletop. I’m really surprised at how the edition has already benefited Slaanesh so much, and this doesn’t take into account the rumored point increases for everyone else which excludes HoS. Now I’m just waiting to see if they improve BoK, hopefully they do a few warscroll rewrites to make Bloodwarriors and a couple of other units legitimate options compared to the far superior StD units. 

Edited by AngryPanda
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Enoby said:

In other news, I am quite sad about the official stance GW has taken against 3D printed conversion parts. 

I totally get not wanting full 3D printed models in an official tournament, but it does suck that small conversions that could not be done with GW official stuff cannot be used in tournaments or White Dwarf, despite the rest of the model being GW official.

Looks like most of my army will never see White Dwarf due to some head conversions :(

20210223_170315.jpg

20210224_155247.jpg

20210327_142118.jpg

20210329_134706.jpg

20210501_204953.jpg

The way around this is so easy. Grab a spare 3d printed head and whack it in a 2 part oyumaru mould. Now cast a couple of green stuff versions of the heads. Pop the green stuff versions and the two part mould in your hobby box and when they question the part, if they even notice it it in the first place, just tell them you sculpted the first version of the head then copied it and made multiple green stuff versions that you cleaned up for the rest of the army.

The only way they could then disprove this is if they started to scratch paint off your models- the first instance of anyone hearing them do this would lead to an online storm that official GW tournaments would never recover from.

That or of course just play in places that don't have such requirements. GW would very quickly change their stance once they notice a huge drop in players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ogregut said:

That would be up for me and my opponent to decide just like it is now. 

I think ogors will get a new battletome sooner rather than later as they seem to be in a weird place with the new unit coherency rules. 

I'd say that after Kruelboyz/Warclans, Mawtribes will be the next Destruction Faction to recieve a Battletome.

I wouldnt be suprised by that either, hopefully they dont just remove one of the current kit but make bigger, new sculpts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ogregut said:

My hopes for new ogre infantry will be dependent entirely on how they handle Ork Boyz. If those guys end up being monopose with no real customization between themselves and other kits, then I don't want GW touching ogres with a ten-foot-pole.

• Like 1