The Rumour Thread

I have to agree with everyone saying the book looks poor. I would rather continue using the Legions of Nagash rules for my 2k-ish points of Soulblight, which is not a good sign. And I'm not seeing the "synergies" or "utility" that other people are pointing out that didn't already exist in LoN.

On the plus side, I now have an army I won't feel bad using against newer players (my others are Ossiarch, Lumineth, and Idoneth 😆)

6 hours ago, Enoby said:

Others who have seen the full battletome leaked agree that it's very similar to the Slaanesh tome, with weaker allegiance abilities than LoN and rather plain Warscrolls. The only thing they have over Slaanesh is the points costs

I have a feeling there's movement from one of the ruleswriters to tone down books in AoS 3, but unfortunately they're not being very clear about it and it doesn't quite balance out with AoS 2 battletomes. 

I honestly wouldn’t mind if this was the case, for if AoS 3 decided to tone armies down across the board, it would make the game feel more like a skirmish as opposed to a game of chess/activation war.

If this was true however, then it would mean that some armies would feel more op, and they would need to be updated to compensate for the new edition. Armies like DoK and LRL would be at the top in the tournament scene if everyone else was brought down in points and they remained the same.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

I have to agree with everyone saying the book looks poor. I would rather continue using the Legions of Nagash rules for my 2k-ish points of Soulblight, which is not a good sign. And I'm not seeing the "synergies" or "utility" that other people are pointing out that didn't already exist in LoN.

On the plus side, I now have an army I won't feel bad using against newer players (my others are Ossiarch, Lumineth, and Idoneth 😆)

Zombie with MWs and summoning even with their new zombie hero seems really good to me.

And that's one unit, we'll see if they are so bad or not.

Edited by baiardo

2 hours ago, Chikout said:

I think the Soulblight rules are looking pretty good. I was surprised by the zombie changes. They lost the bonuses to hit but they gained a six inch pile in and they do mortals on a six to hit. They also get to add a killed model on a 2+ rather than the old 6+. That's not too bad for cheap chaff. 

Zombies with a corpse cart and a cheap necromancer or two are going to be mvp against armies that struggle against hordes, or against armies that utilize large-based units; mortal wounds caused by a chaff unit is very nasty with the right buffs. 

1 minute ago, AngryPanda said:

I honestly wouldn’t mind if this was the case, for if AoS 3 decided to tone armies down across the board, it would make the game feel more like a skirmish as opposed to a game of chess/activation war.

If this was true however, then it would mean that some armies would feel more op, and they would need to be updated to compensate for the new edition. Armies like DoK and LRL would be at the top in the tournament scene if everyone else was brought down in points and they remained the same.  

I agree - I would like AoS to tone down its rules a bit :) I know people didn't like the Slaanesh book and the Gravelords book is contentious, but I think the power level of these books on their own seems good. While it's really exciting to make insane combos, it often ends up with some armies just being unfun to play against or too strong full stop. Oftentimes the "boring" books make for a more enjoyable gameplay experience for both parties, but not a more enjoyable list building experience.

Personally I hope the depowering trend continues, but like you said, they need to do this in quick succession otherwise you'll have super strong old armies.  

• Like 7

So nobody is going to talk about the possibility to give a + 1 save thx to the coven throne (or the rumored new mystic shield) to a 3+ save unit ( like prince vordrai, blood knights or a vamptor for example) and then Neferata giving on a casting value 6 spell an ignore NEGATIVE save modifiers only ?? 

So we have a model that can have a reliable and relatively easy way to get a 2+ ethereal save ??

And people are complaining ??

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

So nobody is going to talk about the possibility to give a + 1 save thx to the coven throne (or the rumored new mystic shield) to a 3+ save unit ( like prince vordrai, blood knights or a vamptor for example) and then Neferata giving on a casting value 6 spell an ignore NEGATIVE save modifiers only ?? 

So we have a model that can have a reliable and relatively easy way to get a 2+ ethereal save ??

An excellent combo, and doubtless many more will appear.

People need time to sift through, try to match things up, see what fits in a list and then refine it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

You might be able to tie down a high rend unit but a 2+ ethereal is not game breaking in any way right now. You can deny the spell (lots of dispel scrolls in the game now), or pour in loads of mortal wounds (hearthguard), or just high volume of attacks (witch aelves). Alternatively you can ignore the Coven Throne until you can kill Nefarata - if Neferatas spell is on the Coven Throne then she is left vulnerable.

It's a good tool in some scenarios but it's nothing special in the current meta.

I think it'll look better if we get more power uncreep (is this a word?)

11 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

You're right, one almost 700 point combo (not even including the target unit) means people shouldn't complain 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sandlemad said:

Neferata preview up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/13/forget-mannfred-here-are-5-reasons-to-serve-queen-neferata-instead/

I mention this mainly to note that bit of art. Not sure it it's new (what seem to be ghouls makes me think not) but regardless, lol, those are tomb kings skeletons. Vampire Counts shields, Tomb Kings standard and headdress. A nice nod to her particular ancestry and a cause for great lamentation among TK players.

BF5y3FufuiQHuTyZ.jpg

Also, those are morghasts, I thought they wouldn't be in Soulblight and would be OBR exclusive. This confirms that they remain as a Soulblight unit?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drcrater said:

Also, those are morghasts, I thought they wouldn't be in Soulblight and would be OBR exclusive. This confirms that they remain as a Soulblight unit?

It confirms GW likes to re-use art from The End Times and The Realmgate Wars

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chosen_of_khaine said:

You're right, one almost 700 point combo (not even including the target unit) means people shouldn't complain 😆

Well if mystic shield goes back to +1 save (as rumored for 3rd Edition) it is only the cost of Neferata + the target unit and whatever cheap caster can cast mystic shield. Also Neferata doesn't do just that she also provides other things to the table than her spell

So for a 365 points + cheap caster + target unit combo you get a lot more than just a 2+ ethereal save (and a 2+ ethereal save is already something quite strong in certain matchups) 

I mean with a bit of luck and a 9+ unmodified cast she could even cast her spell twice per turn... with seems likely to happen at least once per game ?

Edited by Jeremierty
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, drcrater said:

Unfortunately not, as appropriate as it would be to have with the mortarchs. They're not in the battletome and can't even be allied with.

32 minutes ago, Jeremierty said:

Sounds like AoS 1.0 when I used to run this same thing. Nothing new here really. 

11 minutes ago, PJetski said:

You might be able to tie down a high rend unit but a 2+ ethereal is not game breaking in any way right now. You can deny the spell (lots of dispel scrolls in the game now), or pour in loads of mortal wounds (hearthguard), or just high volume of attacks (witch aelves). Alternatively you can ignore the Coven Throne until you can kill Nefarata - if Neferatas spell is on the Coven Throne then she is left vulnerable.

It's a good tool in some scenarios but it's nothing special in the current meta.

I think it'll look better if we get more power uncreep (is this a word?)

Thank you for your insight, while all you said might be true 

If you put this on a 10 "man" unit of bloodknights that's 30 wounds with a 2+ invuln to chew through with a 6+ fnp reroll 1 

So this means with "high volume of attacks" you would need to do 180 wounds to pass the 2 up save... And then pass the 6+ reroll 1 fnp... Good luck with that ? :)

again doing 35 mortal wounds (including the FNP) seems a lot of work to kill a 390 point unit... Especially when you can then do the same combo on another 3+ save unit that you have and kill whatever was able to deal that many mortal wounds 

sure the spell can be denied but with good placements or even with umbral spell portal or good rolls I think you can manage to make this combo work quite easily at least once per game

1 hour ago, Red Bull said:

This is why I only play factions I enjoy from a model/background perspective. I'll try my best to win with the stuff I like.

I first started playing in tournaments in 6th edition with Dark Elves. They were really bad. I tried everything, amassed a huge Dark Elf army in the process. I was usually towards the bottom of tournaments and my friends constantly beat me. However, I was becoming a very good general. I was learning the game on hard mode.... and then the 7th and 8th edition Dark Elf books happened and I was rewarded for my dedication.

GW is too expensive for me to buy an army based on the rules. Rules change, but minis are forever. If you like Slaanesh that much, and think their sculpts are gorgeous (I agree!), then I think you should absolutely start them. Play them on hard mode now and enjoy the pain. You know Slaanesh wants you to.

Whenever the rules change, you'll dunk on everyone and you can brag about how you played them before they were cool... like I've been doing for 20ish years with Dark Elves 😆

This is my exact attitude (including Dark Elves in 6th) minus getting good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJetski said:

Frankly the game would be more fun to play if every battletome going forward was toned down like Slaanesh and Soulblight because 2nd edition armies were far too lethal and mobile

yeah but knowing GW they can't help themselves and for every battletome that seems to be fine and dandy, they seem to release one that really stand above all else and you question what they where thinking. also Powercreep happens in general just that AoS seems to happen every other book compare 40K every book release is stronger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Bull said:

This is why I only play factions I enjoy from a model/background perspective. I'll try my best to win with the stuff I like.

I first started playing in tournaments in 6th edition with Dark Elves. They were really bad. I tried everything, amassed a huge Dark Elf army in the process. I was usually towards the bottom of tournaments and my friends constantly beat me. However, I was becoming a very good general. I was learning the game on hard mode.... and then the 7th and 8th edition Dark Elf books happened and I was rewarded for my dedication.

GW is too expensive for me to buy an army based on the rules. Rules change, but minis are forever. If you like Slaanesh that much, and think their sculpts are gorgeous (I agree!), then I think you should absolutely start them. Play them on hard mode now and enjoy the pain. You know Slaanesh wants you to.

Whenever the rules change, you'll dunk on everyone and you can brag about how you played them before they were cool... like I've been doing for 20ish years with Dark Elves 😆

Thank you! ... This is genuinely the best hobby advice and very well delivered .... This is a game, if your not having fun even when you lose your doing it wrong

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Red Bull said:

I can absolutely relate to this. I also started playing Warhammer with 6th edition Dark Elves. I literally lost every game the first year I played. (2-3 games a week every week) Then, when 7th Edition came. I was destroying those same opponents more often than not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1