The Rumour Thread

It's important to realise that a lot of the "They aren't high elves" talk is from those who are older gamers who wanted those old armies back. It's is very understandable, esp given the marketing and such; but at the same time GW has been going in new directions as well. Furthermore don't forget armies like Luminoth and Ossiarchs are not only new but very small armies in diversity. We already know Luminoth have several more magical temples to come.

For me its like Genestealer Cults. The models in the 1st wave didn't interest me as much. They were neat, but as an army it lacked so many tools, choices and flare that other 40K armies had. Also it relied heavily on poaching units from the Imperial Guard. A good chunk of the army with an IG army with a Cultist insignia on the side.

2nd wave though and we got a lot more models. The army reduced its IG requirement and became an identity of its own. The Rockcrawler got several new vehicles and support vehicles that took it from a stand out lone "rough truck" in an army of IG tanks- to a rough truck in an army of repurposed civilian vehicles. The asthetics came together and, to me, the army became far more interesting. Nothing in the original wave was lost or changed, but the army came together. I think Luminoth, Ossiarchs, Idoneth etc... are all much the same. Give them a good second wave release or a regular steady drip of additions and they will grow on people. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Scurvydog said:

These boxes would probably not happen, but it would be cool if they did and might draw people in to armies we do not see much:

Cities of Sigmar - Hammerhall freeguild. General on Griffon, 2 units of demigryphs, a mix of guard, greatswords and/or handgunners.

Ogors - Tyrants - Ironguts, gluttons, ironblaster, gnoblars

OBR - Cav focus with Liege, 2 units of deathriders, some stalkers, possibly morghasts.

Especially a hammerhall box would require immense willpower for me not to start that cities army ;)

I already have 2000 points of CoS, but I wouldn't mind getting some more humans since I got mostly wood elves and sylvaneth (and I always wanted a empire army). 

29 minutes ago, Overread said:

It's important to realise that a lot of the "They aren't high elves" talk is from those who are older gamers who wanted those old armies back. It's is very understandable, esp given the marketing and such; but at the same time GW has been going in new directions as well. Furthermore don't forget armies like Luminoth and Ossiarchs are not only new but very small armies in diversity. We already know Luminoth have several more magical temples to come.

For me its like Genestealer Cults. The models in the 1st wave didn't interest me as much. They were neat, but as an army it lacked so many tools, choices and flare that other 40K armies had. Also it relied heavily on poaching units from the Imperial Guard. A good chunk of the army with an IG army with a Cultist insignia on the side.

2nd wave though and we got a lot more models. The army reduced its IG requirement and became an identity of its own. The Rockcrawler got several new vehicles and support vehicles that took it from a stand out lone "rough truck" in an army of IG tanks- to a rough truck in an army of repurposed civilian vehicles. The asthetics came together and, to me, the army became far more interesting. Nothing in the original wave was lost or changed, but the army came together. I think Luminoth, Ossiarchs, Idoneth etc... are all much the same. Give them a good second wave release or a regular steady drip of additions and they will grow on people. 

If I were to ever jump back into 40K it would be for the Genestealer Cults, their aesthetic is amazing and for some reason reminds me of Aliens and LV426.

I also cannot wait to see Ossiarchs, Lumineth and especially Idoneth expanded. Hopefully Broken Realms does a good job of adding a unit or two for the armies that most need it so when 3.0 comes around if they recieve another 3 or so it will already have recieved quite the update. 

Plus I really hope the Idoneth get a bunch more Sea Beasts!! Crabs and Lobsters, Whales, Narwhal, Orca, Squid, Octopus, Stingrays!! There are so many options they can take let alone original ideas.

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

Plus I really hope the Idoneth get a bunch more Sea Beasts!! Crabs and Lobsters, Whales, Narwhal, Orca, Squid, Octopus, Stingrays!! There are so many options they can take let alone original ideas.

That will pick my interest on them too

I feel like the „single-species factions“, where the whole army consists of a single intelligent species and maybe some mount, are a remnant of the AoS Grand Alliance beginnings, and it severely limits the scope of many new armies. 
Why not add Crab People to Idoneth, not only as mounts, but as an allied species? Or some fire species to Fyreslayers? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Price are out: 

Giant 150€

dual gargant 100€

I was motivated. But it was before... 😭

To be fair, this is in line with roughly comparable models that were put out recently. And I’m sure they did the math and figured they wouldn’t sell a third more models  for a third less of the price.

But still... 

I think 1 2k army>500€ is not a good direction for the game as a whole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Overread said:

Lumineth had a poor selling box, but at the same time they were brand new and they hit right at the same time as a lot of Corona and lockdown events. It also shattered their release and delayed it by months. So what would likely have sold well on th back of more general releases and hype and games being played; sort of stalled. A bad time for a brand new army. 

That said we should be careful at treating "sold out" as our base line for a good selling product from GW.

I'd argue the Lumineth box sold poorly because, without hindsight, the savings didn't appear great unless you wanted the Collector's Edition Battletome and they explicitly said nothing but the dice/BT would be exclusive to the box. Unless you absolutely desperately needed the models right this second (which to be fair is some people) or wanted the BT, I feel the consensus was that the CE Battletome was arbitrarily jacking up the price.  Corona probably did it a favour because it was clear GW did insanely well out of people buying anything they could as a hobby project.

Of course, now we know how insanely expensive the individual Lumineth kits are, but hindsight's a wonderful thing.

I guarantee if they'd advertised it with an exclusive sculpt (see also: Indomitus) it would've sold out within a few days at the latest.

15 hours ago, KingBrodd said:

Oh really? That's incredibly annoying. I'll have to email them, thanks mate.

I'd still probably wait and see what they do with your order and if they do send you the double box, but I still highly, highly, doubt it.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

Price are out: 

Giant 150€

dual gargant 100€

Any sources for this? That seems a bit much...  If true I think I will delay a complete sons army and maybe get a warstomper for my StD at some point

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Price are out: 

Giant 150€

dual gargant 100€

This seems very expensive, especially considering Archaon and Teclis are "only" €120.  Would these become the most expensive kits in AoS? And someone would need three of them for 2000 points?  Seems a bit much - I don't think many would be happy buying three Archaons to play Slaves to Darkness

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KingBrodd said:

I'm not too suprised by the Megas but the Dual Box has taken me a bit.

Last time GW had that dual ale guzzler box it was around 50€, with price increases etc I might have expected 75 but 100 is a bit crazy.

3 small kits and 2 big kits for a 2000 pt army is 600€ that is very very steep

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scurvydog said:

These boxes would probably not happen, but it would be cool if they did and might draw people in to armies we do not see much:

Cities of Sigmar - Hammerhall freeguild. General on Griffon, 2 units of demigryphs, a mix of guard, greatswords and/or handgunners.

Ogors - Tyrants - Ironguts, gluttons, ironblaster, gnoblars

OBR - Cav focus with Liege, 2 units of deathriders, some stalkers, possibly morghasts.

Especially a hammerhall box would require immense willpower for me not to start that cities army ;)

Based entirely on the two different SC! boxes not having any humans in, and COS being one of three order factions missing a battleforce (Lumineth box didnt sell the best and Fyreslayers dont seem to have a range big enough for a battleforce that isnt just two SC! boxes), that COS box seems like a solid prediction

Will +1 Ogors and OBR, they seem certain at this point.

I'm going to give a shout though for the 4th box,

Beasts of Chaos.

I know everyone is on towards a mono-God GA Chaos, but my goats could use some friends and the range is definitely wide enough to fill out a box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralZero said:

Price are out: 

Giant 150€

dual gargant 100€

Oof. That dual gargant is only ten quid cheaper than buying the regular kit twice. And bear in mind that only three years ago GW sold the exact same box under the name 'Colossal Crushers' for €60.00. Forty quid more expensive now. 

41M-+iYEsuL._AC_.jpg

That's bad. The previous box was a deliberate discount but that's still really bad. This some sort of hobby alright.

And yeah, the mega-gargant is a good bit more expensive than Archaon. A good bit more expensive than the 40k big knight as well.

So... €300 or thereabouts for a 1000pts SoB force of a mega-gargant and three regulars, or of two mega-gargants. Anyone who thought that this would be one of the cheaper armies to collect, or even just slightly more reasonably-priced armies to collect, will be sorely disappointed.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Did they perhaps price them thinking that most folks won't start a Sons army, but will just add an MG to an existing army?

If there are a bunch of bits, alternate parts, etc in each box it might off set the sticker shock a bit. But still...ouch.

I think they are aiming to sell way more single mega gargant kits as mercs than to people actually creating a pure sons army. Unless they have some really crazy sub factions, I could imagine using 8 models in an army quickly becomes very much the same again and again, but I hope I'm wrong.

It does seem from all their teasers and articles they really focus more on the fact they can ally into other armies more than they have talked about them as a faction of their own.

It is a bit tricky for GW to have made each variant exclusive to grand alliances though, I guess many will just do count as, but for the purists and wysiwyg'ers, you need a kraken eater for your stormcasts but you need a warstomper for your slaves to darkness army...

Will there be any benefit though except rule of cool? Most likely not, I can't imagine they will make use of any allegiance abilities or have synergy with any command abilities etc, so they would have to be very good to be worth their 500 pts with just their warscrolls!

26 minutes ago, Barbatus said:

It's a project to make forgeworld a cheaper market than gw

...You're right. Maybe not about it being an intentional project but my god. The Bonegrinder Gargant from FW is €137.72 compared to the plastic Mega-Gargant at this mooted €150.  And it's head and shoulders above the plastic kit in terms of height. Fewer options, blah blah blah, but this is a larger resin model from the boutique section that's cheaper than the plastic equivalent. 

This is insane. Has this ever happened before? Outside of Australia, I mean.

Edited by sandlemad
  • Like 3

To be honest I'd wager most of the 40K Knight Armies are where people have bought Knights for other armies.

So I'm not surprised that they'd push Sons as allies more than as a an army on its own. I'd wager more people will be a sons army because they bought two giants for two different grand alliances as allies and are then making an army with them and a few aleguzzlers because they can. It's a neat way to run a new army and whilst it might mean it doesn't fly off the shelf at record speed, it will have a long term viability.