The New Skaven Battletome, Terrain, Model & eSpells!

Major

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Walrustaco said:

Yikes so cynical. 

Be glad you're getting something.

People were pumped to absolute ****** when the BoC book was announced. Now you've had it good with seeing the Gloomspite release and think that's gonna be you and are upset it isn't. Lol.

What a miserable opinion. "Take your cobbled-together spell models and be grateful for this thing you are being asked to spend money on! How dare you want actual new model soldiers in this game of model soldiers!"

Wont Skaven be like one of the biggest armies once all the clans are brought together with only LoN and SCE having more units? You guys have so much to choose from its nuts. Also what the hell is wrong with re using a rat model or a bell. Like damn they are all the same army. Rats look the same. Maybe they make multiple bells and braziers that look the same... like not every streetlamp looks different either...

10 minutes ago, Kirjava13 said:

What a miserable opinion. "Take your cobbled-together spell models and be grateful for this thing you are being asked to spend money on! How dare you want actual new model soldiers in this game of model soldiers!"

If it were me and my faction I'd be delighted at the new book alone. So many factions are dying for new battletomes or haven't even had one yet, outdated or no.

2 minutes ago, Eevika said:

Wont Skaven be like one of the biggest armies once all the clans are brought together with only LoN and SCE having more units? You guys have so much to choose from its nuts. Also what the hell is wrong with re using a rat model or a bell. Like damn they are all the same army. Rats look the same. Maybe they make multiple bells and braziers that look the same... like not every streetlamp looks different either...

Well new models are always good, although like I said and this is probaly the way many skavenplayers think is that the book could be great.

Im happy that they at least proved us that skaven will be playable in the near future, and believe me the skaven hype is real.

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

I don’t actually know.

maybe they’ll keep it😅🤗

It would be nice. To be honest, it's not the end of the world if they don't I can always play pure Skaven if they actually get a decent set of allegiance abilities in the new battletome. I'm really curious what they will do with the lore. The narrative around Skaven has always been one of their strongest points. I really hope they do a good job fleshing that out an firmly putting the Skaven in the Mortal Realms. 

3 minutes ago, Hankster said:

It would be nice. To be honest, it's not the end of the world if they don't I can always play pure Skaven if they actually get a decent set of allegiance abilities in the new battletome. I'm really curious what they will do with the lore. The narrative around Skaven has always been one of their strongest points. I really hope they do a good job fleshing that out an firmly putting the Skaven in the Mortal Realms. 

I’m hoping so too, but fro

the looks of it, they have done a great job of combining them back together, the way it always should have been 

Hmm warp lightning down to 12" range. That's interesting. 

His rocket looks unremarkable and with a 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound, and only -1 rend he's going to be running pretty much even odds of damaging himself or the target with the overcharge mode against anything with decent defensive stats (unless they are gaining some source of To Hit rerolls, I guess). 

Cool model though so may use anyway. 

Also more preview tomorrow so we don't have long to wait, woot! Been a while since I was excited about Sigmar but I sure as hell am right now,

1 minute ago, MrZakalwe said:

His rocket looks unremarkable and with a 4+ to hit, 3+ to wound, and only -1 rend he's going to be running pretty much even odds of damaging himself or the target with the overcharge mode against anything with decent defensive stats (unless they are gaining some source of To Hit rerolls, I guess). 

I imagine the chances of getting to hit and wound buffs for him would be highly likely. I think his stats look mediocre because of what is in the book; plus he's a unnamed hero so he can be customized. I doubt GW would hype a super mega death rocket for it to be unreliable at best and a liability at worst.

I think he might just replace a Warlock Engineer, depending on his point cost and stats.

I rarely use the Warlock's pistol because of the range, and would see myself using this rocket more.

But yes the reduction in the warp lightning range is confusing... Give with one hand, take back with the other :D

But I'm not going to complain just yet, WE ARE GETTING A BATTLETOME weew

24 minutes ago, Walrustaco said:

If it were me and my faction I'd be delighted at the new book alone. So many factions are dying for new battletomes or haven't even had one yet, outdated or no.

I completely agree. I truly do not understand the level of whining about the fact we finally have something to tie us together and (more than likely) be brought into a competitive fold; even if it isn't top 3, it's something.

No, we don't know if there will be more releases, but some of the things a few of your are nitpicking on about the spells, book (which you've not even seen the contents of) and terrain is just...sad. I'm just grateful we have something and there is absolutely nothing saying that we won't get new models, even if it's months or years from now. And hey, if not, at least I know my work converting\kitbashing 120 Night\Gutter-Runners wasn't for nothing.

1 minute ago, MrZakalwe said:

It seems by reading it and referencing him as support for a WLC that he will count as an "Engineer" so my assumption is that he will have that keyword. I anticipate that Clan Skryre will have more interaction with Engineers similar to Order's Engineers with War Machines. I will say though, that stat-line does not bode well for the MW damage. Most likely I won't be using it unless there is some synergy to get that off more reliably or he's last-rat-standing.

1 minute ago, Kirjava13 said:

Figured I had been wording my disappointment pretty evenly on the whole but thanks.

That was less at you and more at others who picked everything apart, almost trying to find something to complain about.

Again, I would have loved new models as I know we have the oldest range, but BoC got dealt the exact same hand and it's odd to expect that we would get a Gitz style release. That was a big release that had a harbinger tied to it while Skaven + FeC is another in-between release like BoC that came out of nowhere and thus unlikely to have received anything to the level that the Gitz got. They wanted to get something out of the door for both factions and they've done so. Something is better than nothing, and the BoC book should be a fine example of making something old and worn like new again, even without new models.

Im over the  moon🌒 of a new book!!!! Ahhh time to blow up the moon!!! 

want this treatment for all the old left behind armies, I'm hoping <and based on beast of chaos and gloom spite confident> that these books will be great fun and we'll balanced

Alternatively we could just get nothing and have to wait 3 years until the design team finishes a gloonspite level release... Yeah I know what I'd prefer book now models later rather than nothing now everything later

I really like this style of battletome that updates existing armies quicker because they dont need to design new models and find a release window for them. To me as a clan skryre player this book will expand the models that I can use, I've been wanting to use stormvermin, hell put abomination, Thanaquol, and vermin lord but couldn't.

The dice look like dark stone with warpstone deposits which provides contrast to make them easily readable. 

I'm very pleased to finally get a tome for Skaven but like many others I do feel a bit disappointed at the lack of new models. From the rules teaser today, the bombardier doesn't seem all that interesting or powerful and I'm hoping warp lightning isn't also nerfed for the other engineers since it's really all they were good for. Have to read the tome changes first though, things may make more sense then.

I would have much preferred plastic versions of the metal skaven models over endless spells and the gnawholes, skaven have a ton of really old models and kits that aren't fit for AoS unit sizes or look ugly (aren't the current acolytes from the 90's?). I think gnawholes could potentially be fun if they can summon reinforcements and aren't just for teleporting rats around the field.

5 hours ago, Gwendar said:

That was less at you and more at others who picked everything apart, almost trying to find something to complain about.

I didn't have to look hard to find something to complain about. The laziness of the release practically hits you in the face. lol It's nothing but reused models, same goes for the FEC release. It's actually quite astounding. I've never seen GW produce something so lazy. I really, truly hope this isn't a new trend for GW. If they are so incapable of handling the new release pace they've set for themselves that they have push out reused sculpts and re-used ideas I think everyone would be fine with them slowing down the rate of releases to ensure what does get released is of a much higher quality. 

And btw no one is complaining that Skaven are getting a LoN style battletome. I haven't seen one person make that complaint, actually. But there are plenty of people making the claim that there are, which is odd. Every Skaven player is ecstatic that our army is finally being put back together after GW broke it. Although, I did complain about the horrendous cover art because it's, well, horrendous imo. But art is subjective so I doubt my opinions on it will offend you. 

20 minutes ago, Throt the Unclean said:

same goes for the FEC release

100% that. I don‘t know Skaven enough to see all the parts. Most people are pleased for some reason. I‘d rather they updated the books and left those bad models where they belong: In the Darkness of oblivion.

The only okay-ish reused model are of the zombie-horse-stampede.

the gnawholes seem cool to me as well, out of what models did they kitbash them?

32 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

the gnawholes seem cool to me as well, out of what models did they kitbash them?

The Screaming Bell kit.

As I said before the gnawhole is a cool idea, but the more I think about it the less I’m sure. There were already more than a few models that could creat gnawholes and teleport and even teleport other units. Part of the tactical advantage was the element of surprise. Now that Skaven have a physical marker for gnawholes it takes away that advantage. I wonder if they have taken away that ability from the existing models because of the terrain piece? I hope not.

Gnawholes could even be Skaven Summoning models - able to summon clan/large rats from them. 

We also don't know if GW is going to keep weapon teams around; considering that stormfiends basically have all 4 weapon options within their unit already. GW could be using the terrain to replace the warpgrinder for pushing beyond the deployment zone. 

We might get some idea tomorrow and certainly the full picture in 2 weeks when they release 

Archived