23 minutes ago, Mace108 said:

Ah that's tough. What else do you plan to use in the list? What is the role of the pistoliers? 

Part of the reason I chose cities is that the lists feel more open ended and I've been kind of buying for lots of potential lists without fully commiting to one. The pistoliers seem like a good was to get in lots of attacks before the combat phase starts by shooting then charging and shooting again but I'm not sure how feasible that will be in real game situations with a 9 range. I used to play death and until recently mostly played on a small kitchen table so I don't have a lot of experience with shooting or full sized games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trickflo said:

Part of the reason I chose cities is that the lists feel more open ended and I've been kind of buying for lots of potential lists without fully commiting to one. The pistoliers seem like a good was to get in lots of attacks before the combat phase starts by shooting then charging and shooting again but I'm not sure how feasible that will be in real game situations with a 9 range. I used to play death and until recently mostly played on a small kitchen table so I don't have a lot of experience with shooting or full sized games.

I think Pistoliers are a the best choice, even 20 of them. Most games of AOS start 18 inches away or 24 inches away. So it is very possible you can get in range turn 1 because Pistoliers move 12 inches.  If you play Temptus Eye they can move an extra 3 inches in the first turn :)

The run/retreat and still being about to shoot is good for the Outriders, but it is not worth it compared to the damage potential from the Pistoliers.  The ability to shoot, charge, shoot, then still getting to attack in combat means each Pistolier gets 8 attacks the turn they charge! So that unit of 10 Pistoliers gets 80 attacks.  If a Celestial Hurricum with Battlemage is right behind them with Hawk Eye (Temptus Eye) then they get +1 to hit and +1 to wound  (missile weapons only) making them a very powerful alpha strike. 

People usually play Pistoliers in Tempest Eye, in the battalion, and there they are very very strong. 

That being said, even with most of their damage in the shooting phase, they still struggle to get all their bases in if you have too many, so even then, people usually run some outriders as well. Usually a 2:1 or 3:1 Pistolier:Outrider ratio, 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Frowny said:

People usually play Pistoliers in Tempest Eye, in the battalion, and there they are very very strong. 

That being said, even with most of their damage in the shooting phase, they still struggle to get all their bases in if you have too many, so even then, people usually run some outriders as well. Usually a 2:1 or 3:1 Pistolier:Outrider ratio, 

Yeah good point so ideally two units of 10 if running 20 pistoliers in total. 

Has anyone had success with the black ark corsairs? Thematically they fit the desert raiders I had in mind best, but they feel like a unit in an awkward place. Mixed purpose. How do you use them? Slap a max brick of dual swords by a fleetmaster for a bunch of attacks? Small units of hand crossbows grabbing side objectives? Does the loadout matter too much? Should you keep a kharybdiss close by? How much support do they need? Can they actually kill anything or are they like free guild guard who are just meat shields? 1d4 chan has a nice start, but I'm hoping for some real world experiences with them.

Thanks for any help, 

For Sigmar!

2 hours ago, TheArborealWalrus said:

Has anyone had success with the black ark corsairs? Thematically they fit the desert raiders I had in mind best, but they feel like a unit in an awkward place. Mixed purpose. How do you use them? Slap a max brick of dual swords by a fleetmaster for a bunch of attacks? Small units of hand crossbows grabbing side objectives? Does the loadout matter too much? Should you keep a kharybdiss close by? How much support do they need? Can they actually kill anything or are they like free guild guard who are just meat shields? 1d4 chan has a nice start, but I'm hoping for some real world experiences with them.

Thanks for any help, 

For Sigmar!

Note: I've only done mathhammering with them and parroting opinions on this and other forums.

That said, the general consensus is that you're generally better using something else.

1. A fleetmaster and a pack of 40 cosairs with twin swords works decently but not exceptionally. 

2. MSU Cosairs with crossbows are ok objective holders

3. Kharybdiss are not competitive for their points. They barely pass as ok for Anvilguard. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Evantas said:

1. A fleetmaster and a pack of 40 cosairs with twin swords works decently but not exceptionally. 

Yeah, last changes that further lowered cost of executioners pushed out corsairs almost completely IMO (in competitive sense). 40 Corsairs are only 20pts cheaper than 30 Executioners, and need Fleetmaster and 1 CP to roughly equal fighting power of draich wielding Aelves. And Execs have better save in melee. Corsair would offer only incresed survavibility vs shooting and MW as they have 10 extra guys. Even if you think about Vitriolic Spray Corsairs will deal 22 dmg vs Execs 20, so neglible difference

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evantas said:

That said, the general consensus is that you're generally better using something else

So, lower middle tier? That puts them about where I was thinking. I'm not really going for competitive with this army, I don't like the competitively suggested list options for cities except the hammerhal lancers. The desert boys are pure theme based army though. While the executioners are undoubtedly better, I don't see them as a city's levy of joe shmoe troops. Elite guards of the caliph? Sure. Fodder? No (even if GW seems to be pushing them that way).  If folks have a better idea for the bog standard troops, I'm all ears.

I was using the old points values for my last list, so here is my changed list. - 1810pts - Anvilguard - deciding on what to do with the last 190pts.

Spoiler

- 120pts - charwind raiders

60pts - Fleetmaster - general, secretive sorcerer

280pts - 40 black ark corsairs - 2 swords

160pts - 2x10 black ark corsairs

210pts - 3 scourgerunner chariots

170pts - Karybdss

- 90pts - sorceress - vitriolic spray(?)

- 90pts - sorceress - cloud of daggers

- 260pts - 20 Black guard

- 170pts - Hydra

- 200pts - 10 pistoliers

- 190pts - ???

I'm not really sure what to do with the spare 190pts. An endless spell? A unit of sisters of the thorn? Demigryphs? Dupes to be sacrificed for spell bonusses? Lots of individual units available that could go with a spell. I'm just not sure. Demigryphs would be djin, sisters as magic carpet riders, just want to keep a Arabian nights theme going with whatever I pick. Effectiveness is a secondary concern to being thematically awesome. 

Thanks for your help guys,

For Sigmar!

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/Eng_Ellania_Ellathor.pdf

These two can be taken as allies in any Order army, and are basically an extra adjutant command point farm, which is neat.

Reveal hidden contents

My allies slot forever belongs to Gotrek though

At 260 they're a bit expensive for that ^^"

Hello Guys,

I´m pretty new to the Hobby, started my first AoS Army at the beginning of Corona. So i got 1000points of Freeguild, 1000points of Dispossessed, an now i would like to start an Army in the Wanderers them in the Living Cities. To start of i would like to get a rough 1000point List, that i can expand, if I build and painted all of it. Wasn´t able to play a single Game to this day, due to corona, but i´m pretty hooked by the CoS and building my Army(s) in the meantime...

Im not quite sure how to understand the Living Cities commandability "Strike and melt away" right:

"You can use this command ability at the end of your shooting phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly LIVING CITY unit that shot in that phase, is more than 9" from any enemy units and is wholly within 18" of a friendly LIVING CITY HERO. That unit can make a normal move (it cannot run). A unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per phase."

Does it mean, that the unit i want to affect doesnt have to be in range of my General, just in 18" of "a friendly hero"? So could it be possible to have a Nomad Prince as my General beeing on my side of the board, using the command ability and affect a striking Drycha Hamadreth for example, even though shes not in range of the Nomad Prince, but she is a friendly Living City Hero on her own, so basically in 18" range of "a friendly hero"?

I would realy like to include Drycha Hamadreh as an core striking Unit,  but i dont want to waist my Nomad Prince to strike with her, just to use the Ability.

Maybe this allready has been asked befor. Maybe I just read the rule exactly right and am just unsettled. But i hope you can help me out :)

1 hour ago, Scheppi said:

Hello Guys,

I´m pretty new to the Hobby, started my first AoS Army at the beginning of Corona. So i got 1000points of Freeguild, 1000points of Dispossessed, an now i would like to start an Army in the Wanderers them in the Living Cities. To start of i would like to get a rough 1000point List, that i can expand, if I build and painted all of it. Wasn´t able to play a single Game to this day, due to corona, but i´m pretty hooked by the CoS and building my Army(s) in the meantime...

Im not quite sure how to understand the Living Cities commandability "Strike and melt away" right:

"You can use this command ability at the end of your shooting phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly LIVING CITY unit that shot in that phase, is more than 9" from any enemy units and is wholly within 18" of a friendly LIVING CITY HERO. That unit can make a normal move (it cannot run). A unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per phase."

Does it mean, that the unit i want to affect doesnt have to be in range of my General, just in 18" of "a friendly hero"? So could it be possible to have a Nomad Prince as my General beeing on my side of the board, using the command ability and affect a striking Drycha Hamadreth for example, even though shes not in range of the Nomad Prince, but she is a friendly Living City Hero on her own, so basically in 18" range of "a friendly hero"?

I would realy like to include Drycha Hamadreh as an core striking Unit,  but i dont want to waist my Nomad Prince to strike with her, just to use the Ability.

Maybe this allready has been asked befor. Maybe I just read the rule exactly right and am just unsettled. But i hope you can help me out :)

The unit just needs to be wholly within 18" of a friendly hero, so it doesn't need to be your general -> Drycha can use the ability on herself and doesn't need the babysitting from the prince :)
EDIT: this is because Drycha gains the LIVING CITY keyword thanks to the The City Wargroves allegiance ability, so she is a LIVING CITY HERO

Edited by Marcvs
  • Like 1