Tempest's Eye change is bigger than it seems. Namely: this one extra inch changes aelf shooty infantry (used to be spireguard, now it's darkshards) 1st turn threat range from 'just outside enemy deployment zone' to 'in range to anything enemy deploys too close'. Having cheap shooting battleline able to hit forward screens turn 1 is potentially huge for alpha strike lists.

• Like 1

the unlimited conversion and themed custom army builds has me salivating!!  Cant wait to see what people put up out of this , starting to get some good ideas as well now just need to get my hands on the book!

Edited by CDM
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Anyone have any good ideas on the best Wizard to pick up for freecities and casting the empowered endless spells?   I don't see many dual casters and so far the wizard on Griffon and hurricanum have a plus one to cast native on their warscrolls ( both of which might change)

I've seen some people mention the Lord-Arcanum on foot since Stormcast will get the keyword of their city and that Lord-Arcanum gets a buff to Endless Spells already.

15 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

I think the battle mages are nice and cheap and i think it will be more about taking hollowheart if they have any casting bonuses. 

I think the lord-arcanum is a poor choice as he's really expensive for a 1 cast wizard now adays and his ability needs cp. 

I wasn't aware that the battlemages survived the great culling.  Good news if they did

Lifted my head for the first time after the High Elf culling and dusted my Frosty & Flaming birds!

I got all new and vintage elven mages (Teclis, Alarielle, Loremaster and all the archmages) and will wait the book to paint then on the Battlemages colors.  Also got a really cool Sorceress i converted into Mistweaver that is gona rock with my birds.

Started assembling Shadow Warriors and managed to convert 4 out of 10 into ladies. My city gives out equal oportunities on the "getting killed' departament.

Sitting on a pile of High Elves heads, shields and weapons to swap and convert a lot, head full of ideas!

Good to feel happy about AoS again!

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 6

2 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Anyone have any good ideas on the best Wizard to pick up for freecities and casting the empowered endless spells?   I don't see many dual casters and so far the wizard on Griffon and hurricanum have a plus one to cast native on their warscrolls ( both of which might change)

If the Darkling Covens' Sorceress still has her sacrificial knife for a +2 cast, she may be a good option, especially if one of the cities also gives a bonus.  We'll have to wait for the book before we really know what's possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thiagoma said:

Lifted my head for the first time after the High Elf culling and dusted my Frosty & Flaming birds!

I got all new and vintage elven mages (Teclis, Alarielle, Loremaster and all the archmages) and will wait the book to paint then on the Battlemages colors.  Also got a really cool Sorceress i converted into Mistweaver that is gona rock with my birds.

Started assembling Shadow Warriors and managed to convert 4 out of 10 into ladies. My city gives out equal oportunities on the "getting killed' departament.

Sitting on a pile of High Elves heads, shields and weapons to swap and convert a lot, head full of ideas!

Good to feel happy about AoS again!

Not gonna lie, warms my heart to hear you excited for AoS. I know the culling hit ya hard. Hope you can keep up the motivation and find joy in the book. Can't wait to see some pictures!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I've seen some people mention the Lord-Arcanum on foot since Stormcast will get the keyword of their city and that Lord-Arcanum gets a buff to Endless Spells already.

His buff is already rather useless for most spells because the spell have to be within 12" to benefit, that is less than most usefull spells you'd bring, whille empowered spells usually have increased range, so it gets worse. 

His buff is a CA that adds D6 to spells move and it seems to be stackable.

EDIT. Alright, I might have been somewhat wrong, here is a list of spells that would benefit from LA on foot CA:

Purple Sun of Shyish
Aethervoid Pendulum
Quicksilver Swords
Ravenak's Gnashing Jaws
The Burning Head
Suffocating Gravetide
Lauchon the Soulseeker (though empowered he will travel 18" and will deploy troops outside of 9" of the enemy)
Horrorghast

ANOTHER EDIT! There are also 3 faction endless spells that would benefit:

Celestial Vortex (SCE)
Vengefull Skullroot (Sylvaneth)
Gladewyrm (Sylvaneth)

Edited by XReN

9 hours ago, Cambot1231 said:

Dark Elf Sorceress for sure, she's almost an auto-cast with her +2 to cast spells, Wanderers' Spellweawer if she won't be discarded is good for her utility (1 auto-unbind per game)

19 minutes ago, XReN said:

Wanderers' Spellweawer if she won't be discarded is good for her utility (1 auto-unbind per game

cheap auto unbind compared to knight incantor. 

That said while they get no extra bonus as that we know of lord-arcanum and incantor can cast the comet spell. 

Sorc currently is definitly go to.  However, we don't know what other rules changes or price adjustments that might be affects. 

For instance hallow heart might get a +1 to cast unbind for human/stormcast wizards. 

As for the range boost i don't rate that comand ability at all spending a command point for a random chance to get your spell where you want it is not good enough. Even more so when you compare the signifigant bonus you are getting from having your endless spells counting as being from thier realm on cast. Just makes the arcanum look like a chump. 

Edited by mmimzie

27 minutes ago, mmimzie said:

As for the range boost i don't rate that comand ability at all spending a command point for a random chance to get your spell where you want it is not good enough. Even more so when you compare the signifigant bonus you are getting from having your endless spells counting as being from thier realm on cast. Just makes the arcanum look like a chump. 

Just to remind you there are armies who get no bonuses to Casting rolls at all.  None. Teaches one to appreciate even gimmicks like this.

I`d rather have the gimmick and make occasional use of it when needed. Then need it once in a blue moon and not have it all.

45 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Just to remind you there are armies who get no bonuses to Casting rolls at all.  None. Teaches one to appreciate even gimmicks like this.

I`d rather have the gimmick and make occasional use of it when needed. Then need it once in a blue moon and not have it all.

Most none bonus wizard have spells that are successful on a 5, 6, or 7. Most order wizards.

Spell casting bonus are usually offset by having spells that are almost exclusively cast on 7s, 8s, and 9s. Skaven, tzneetch, some death. 

Generaly spell bonuses are more to offset being unbound, rather than being more successful at casting, and making you better as getting endless spells off. 

So the lack of order bonuses only sucks when looking at endless spells. 

I just think the gimmick is meh when in hammerhall you could use your cp to have a unit fight a second time. 

That said i guess spaming the arcanum ability could get you an okay chunk of distance. 

Discontinued units (old a new) seem to be a hot button when discussing Cities of Sigmar nowdays, and so I've written the first of two articles (currently working on the second, which will cover Aelves) with my thoughts on the subject and a detailed guide covering every human and duardin (and halfling!) unit  no longer produced by GW, going as far back as Dogs of War, and providing suggestions on how to best incorporate them into a Cities of Sigmar force.

Check it out, I'd love to hear any feedback:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html

:) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Double Misfire

Good and fun article. I especially enjoyed the snarky part where you asked the reader to wait a sec before closing the site and making a mental note to never visit your blog again :D Its good to see humor mixed in with the usual informative nature of blogs like these. Makes the whole thing a bit lighter to consume en mass. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Myrdin
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, michu said:

@Double Misfire Excellent article but just one thing - We didn't hear anything about Excelsior Warpriest being rereleased so probably he won't be in the book.

Thanks dude. I'm not 100% on what's happening with the Warpriest, but seeing as Flagellants are an unlockable battleline and currently lack a Devoted of Sigmar general to unlock them, and the Warpriest's recently featured in Forbidden Power as part of the Lethisan Defenders list, I'd decided it was safe to assume he'd be released like the Fyreslayer Doomseeker.

I'll update the article to mention that he's not currently being sold when I get a chance, and wait and see what happens to him. 😃

1 hour ago, Double Misfire said:

Thanks dude. I'm not 100% on what's happening with the Warpriest, but seeing as Flagellants are an unlockable battleline and currently lack a Devoted of Sigmar general to unlock them, and the Warpriest's recently featured in Forbidden Power as part of the Lethisan Defenders list, I'd decided it was safe to assume he'd be released like the Fyreslayer Doomseeker.

I'll update the article to mention that he's not currently being sold when I get a chance, and wait and see what happens to him. 😃

Flagellants may just be folded into Freeguild, but I do expect the Excelsior Warpriest to return, as I think it is an archetype for the AoS roleplaying game.

2 hours ago, Double Misfire said:

Discontinued units (old a new) seem to be a hot button when discussing Cities of Sigmar nowdays, and so I've written the first of two articles (currently working on the second, which will cover Aelves) with my thoughts on the subject and a detailed guide covering every human and duardin (and halfling!) unit  no longer produced by GW, going as far back as Dogs of War, and providing suggestions on how to best incorporate them into a Cities of Sigmar force.

Check it out, I'd love to hear any feedback:

https://doublemisfire.blogspot.com/2019/09/no-substitute-discontinued-units-in.html

:) 

I plan to use my dwarf gunners and crossbows as their human counterparts and that seems to be an obvious substitution to me.

@Double Misfire, you are again doing Lord's (Sigmar's? ; )) work here. I think a lot of people will find the guide useful. Can't wait for part 2 (which is, apart from few problematic things, mostly obvious, to think of it...); )

I'd expect Warpriest to return, too. He was in Forbidden Power, he's in the RPG, was made specifically for AoS setting and comes on his own separate sprue. I don't think that out of scale gryph hound is enough to remove him. Plus, as flagellants are conditional battleline i have no idea what other general could unlock them.

I'm currently doing simultaneous gamage control and future planning for my army and I'm generally happy with the results. New options unlocked from making all factions availible to every city (as far as we know) more than make up for anything I might've lost. Some conversion work will be needed, but I was mostly prepared for it anyway. Plus, with restrictions lifted, I get *a lot* of new monster options to make the army even more ghur like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dekay said:

@Double Misfire, you are again doing Lord's (Sigmar's? ; )) work here. I think a lot of people will find the guide useful. Can't wait for part 2 (which is, apart from few problematic things, mostly obvious, to think of it...); )

I'd expect Warpriest to return, too. He was in Forbidden Power, he's in the RPG, was made specifically for AoS setting and comes on his own separate sprue. I don't think that out of scale gryph hound is enough to remove him. Plus, as flagellants are conditional battleline i have no idea what other general could unlock them.

I'm currently doing simultaneous gamage control and future planning for my army and I'm generally happy with the results. New options unlocked from making all factions availible to every city (as far as we know) more than make up for anything I might've lost. Some conversion work will be needed, but I was mostly prepared for it anyway. Plus, with restrictions lifted, I get *a lot* of new monster options to make the army even more ghur like.

That's the spirit! I am still a bit paralysed by lack of clarity, but I at least know Pistoleers, Outriders and Demis are in, so I'll have to start on those. Can't finish them entirely, but up until the weapons is quite possible, and easier to paint to boot.