3 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

Quick reminder to anyone who's ever commented  in this thread that when Free Cities are toptiertournamentchaffmeta in six months time that you're fully entitled to cite your posting history here and claim you liked them before they were cool. 😎  

I'll lay claim to predicting this combined Not!Empire/Dwarf/Old World Elves book months ago.

*Sips*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I'll lay claim to predicting this combined Not!Empire/Dwarf/Old World Elves book months ago.

*Sips*

Right there with you.. despite people telling me Aelves and Dwarves would never be included in a combination tome with Humans. It made no sense to believe otherwise considering the Firestorm book.

All in all I'm excited for it, but I have to see the full on shooting components and how well they work out; the fact that there are seemingly tons of combinations here is exciting. I imagine Ironweld will be great just in the sense that they will (likely) go the Ballista route and not have the crew separate anymore... which in itself would be a huge upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Soooo excited!

Only question is WHAT will move to legacy units. Id love to say nothing plastic but, you know... Thoughts?

Theres not a whole lot left honestly but Dwarf Warriors/Thunderers/Quarrelers comes to mind. They are very old, still using the 16 box system when warhammer was based on ranks of 4. Though the artillery should be safe, I mean theres no other source of cannons.

Glade Guard on the other hand are the quintessential "green elves with bows" I think they're safe.

13 minutes ago, Charlo said:

Soooo excited!

Only question is WHAT will move to legacy units. Id love to say nothing plastic but, you know... Thoughts?

If the skaven book is anything to go by, the models that you can't buy any more. So looking at the Reavers, Spireguard, and Griffon aelf dude from spire of dawn? Swordmasters should (I hope) be safe due to still having finecast models.

• Haha 1

Sooo... taking bets on which units get culled. :( 

Mine predictions are:

• Everything from Spire of Dawn/Isle of Blood not available in another set like the Archmage
  • Swordmasters (finecast)
  • Glade Guard (while not a particularly nasty one, they're the oldest kit in the range and Glade Riders already went years ago)
  • Dwarf Warriors, Thunderers and Quarrellers (they're very old and don't match the look of later Dwarf/Dispossessed kits at all)
  • Regular Warrior Priests (we've got a plastic Excelsior Warpriest that does everything they do)
  • I'm 50/50 on State Troops/Freeguild Guard, Crossbowmen and Handgunners (old and nasty, and Greatswords aren't particularly elite by AoS standards and can easily slum it as the default Freeguild battleline infantry; however there are a few of them on display  in this photo - admittedly of models made for the Firestorm book, but still)

What does everyone else think?

• Haha 1

I don't think wanderer archers are going anywhere... Or the Dwarf warriors. They're THE essential units for those factions, it would render wanderers and dispossessed allegiances basically useless from there. Same with freeguild humans, can't see them being gone soon. Plus they both got boxes with round bases, so the human stuff will get that too no doubt with the book release.

Sword masters are the type of things I mean, resin ancient stuff from miniscule factions that aren't worth producing anymore. 

They mention 7 allegiances, though there are 7 cities in firestorm so it's no doubt just those but expanded upon based on the article.

Edit: White Lions seem to be sold out online and are part of a faction of 2 units so I'd expect the high elf chariot kit to go too.

Edited by Charlo
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Charlo said:

I don't think wanderer archers are going anywhere... Or the Dwarf warriors. They're THE essential units for those factions, it would render wanderers and dispossessed allegiances basically useless from there. Same with freeguild humans, can't see them being gone soon. Plus they both got boxes with round bases, so the human stuff will get that too no doubt with the book release.

Sword masters are the type of things I mean, resin ancient stuff from miniscule factions that aren't worth producing anymore. 

They mention 7 allegiances, though there are 7 cities in firestorm so it's no doubt just those but expanded upon based on the article.

Edit: White Lions seem to be sold out online and are part of a faction of 2 units so I'd expect the high elf chariot kit to go too.

You're basing your dwarf warriors arguments on them being a single faction with a handful of kits. Now they're part of a very large book, I think it's very likely they could get axed (lol sorry) because there are going to be so many battleline options. 
Keep in mind this book is not likely going to be "run a disposessed army, or run a wanderers army", it's about running a city, and every city has multiple races/factions. Of course you can run a all dispoessed army, but don't expect them to build the rules around that. 
With 2 better looking melee disposessed infantry, dwarves would definitely be on my list of things to cut. 

I think it's also important to consider that it's not like they are doing this to be mean or ****** people off, they simply can't support the entire range with their production capabilities right now. Every box of dwarf warriors they make is probably multiple boxes of a brand new kit they aren't making (sprue placement is much more efficient now). I think this explains why so many old kits went up in price also, and of course why these releases, like most releases this year, are chinese produced releases only.   This battletome will cause demand to spike for all of this stuff, and they can't make it all (look what happened when the skaven tome came out, half the stuff was out of stock for a long time). 

Look for the oldest, ugliest, plastic kits to go, but who knows how many 

• Confused 1

Ok so re looking at it probably like tree kin and maybe old slayers.  And at least on azyr hunting hounds are still there. Stuff thats been updated  like that. Mounted yeomen, warhawk riders, but the concept of the warhawk boys are sick i hope they just update that.

12 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

You're basing your dwarf warriors arguments on them being a single faction with a handful of kits. Now they're part of a very large book, I think it's very likely they could get axed (lol sorry) because there are going to be so many battleline options. 
Keep in mind this book is not likely going to be "run a disposessed army, or run a wanderers army", it's about running a city, and every city has multiple races/factions. Of course you can run a all dispoessed army, but don't expect them to build the rules around that. 
With 2 better looking melee disposessed infantry, dwarves would definitely be on my list of things to cut. 

I think it's also important to consider that it's not like they are doing this to be mean or ****** people off, they simply can't support the entire range with their production capabilities right now. Every box of dwarf warriors they make is probably multiple boxes of a brand new kit they aren't making (sprue placement is much more efficient now). I think this explains why so many old kits went up in price also, and of course why these releases, like most releases this year, are chinese produced releases only.   This battletome will cause demand to spike for all of this stuff, and they can't make it all (look what happened when the skaven tome came out, half the stuff was out of stock for a long time). 

This,

I suspect there are no Darkling Covens, Wanderers, Dispossessed (etc.) anymore. Just alliances of humans, aelves and dwarfs with a lore-based thing to tie them together.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

I dont really agree with this at all. I think we should look at the skaven book and that makes me more hopeful. They made it so each faction plays different. Eshin heroes do this, skyre heroes do this, pestillins are similar to neither of those.

and they have a big model range too. I think its ok if we have a huge model range they can handle it like khorne. Khorne has like 50 battleline options. Sure in competitive theres clearly better options, but doesnt defeat the point. 

I think this book will be learning the lessons from those two books and creating a really cool book with a lot of options creating real identities. As for kits leaving saying like the dwarf warriors are canned is just pessimistic. Look at gutter runners they still got new rules. 

• Like 2

I think Warriors/Thunderers are safe just by virtue of getting a reboxing.

We've still got the (MUCH) cheaper metal Tech-Priest and Commissar models for Imperial Guard, despite both having plastic versions out. The Warrior Priests are probably safe, a least until the mould breaks.

Unforged will definitely go, since no models for them exist anymore and Fyreslayers are a thing now.

Swordmasters will go, but I think everybody knew that.

White Lions have gone 'No Longer Available' on the UK store and they've not shown in any previews yet, but they may well be getting a reboxing.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 1

I don't think reboxing really means much. A weeks worth  of graphic design and send it to the cardboard box printer.... 
The real limitations on GW are plastic model production. I very much believe this is driving all of their business decisions for now.  Old kits are less sprue efficient (more sprues, less boxes per hour on their very taxed production lines). 

Also consider there is a very big push to make the game simpler and more new player friendly by making sure you can buy a box and then play it in the battletome as is, with warscroll rules for loadout match what is in a box.   A box of dwarf warriors has 16, but the unit requires multiples of 10. That is problematic. Not a death sentence, but does move it closer in my opinion.  

Third thing against dwarf warriors is that they are kind of hordey for AoS, where they probably already have  more hordes than they want, and the models are smaller in scale than most other dwarves in the mortal realms. the poses are too rank and file.

Basically nothing about current disposessed  warrior models match GWs current buisness strategy or what they want this game to be. 

I am not saying they will kill them, I think it's possible. And I think if you are looking for which units are getting cut, these are the sorts of things to look for (beyond "is it still being sold", those are obvious, but i think the cuts will be bigger... look at greenskinz)

• Confused 1

I think it's safe to say anything on the Firestorm army boxes is safe from being cut, since it's likely those are where the idea for this battletome started to take shape. My LGS still has a few of them, so I'm running there as soon as it opens to pick up a Hammerhal to get something started along with my current SCE collection.

Edited by kuroyume
  • Like 2