AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 1/13/2019 at 11:13 AM, Salyx said:

Or should I Take a completely different Road because I need more bodies or because other choices are even better for a Brass Stampede? 

Do you have experience playing a Brass Stampede? What should I pay Attention to?

The key with a brass stampede, even with the avalanche ability, is to maximise charges, both in number of charges and in damage on the charge. And keep doing them. So, long charges help. To that end, you want to get them their blood-scent +3 to charge as early as you can. So try a sacrificial fast unit (5 furies is a good cheap option, or marauder horsemen for +1 charge) and throw them away as fast as you can. Then stack your charge range bonuses - a bloodstoker or two is good for that, and combos well with the juggerlord buff on the charge. Violent urgency isa decent command trait for your juggerlord. A Bloodsecrator can be good too, but if you do the first bit right, you can find yourself charging out of his bubble.

Secondly, you want to maximise damage on the charge, and not get units too bogged down. To that end I’d consider even more skull crushers - up the model count of one or two units to six, so that you can hit that bit harder on the charge. 

In terms of weaknesses, holding objectives with a low model count can be tough, and a bit of a major weakness for the army, so a cheap horde unit or two to at least sit on yours is a decent option (marauders/reavers). 

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the Gorelord ability of the Mighty Lord of Khorne was more interesting than a simple reroll on charge. But I can't find the topic anymore.

Rolling 2 dices and taking the 2 best rolls would provide better results than rolling 2 dices with a reroll option.

Someone has the maths ? 

1 hour ago, phizzco said:

Question for everyone: Does Ignax's scales protect skalok from mortal wounds or just Vorgaroth?

named characters cant take artifacts... however, in AoS theres no way to differentiate between rider and mount (hence the combined wound profile) so it would protect both 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, Baron Wastelands said:

The key with a brass stampede, even with the avalanche ability, is to maximise charges, both in number of charges and in damage on the charge. And keep doing them. So, long charges help. To that end, you want to get them their blood-scent +3 to charge as early as you can. So try a sacrificial fast unit (5 furies is a good cheap option, or marauder horsemen for +1 charge) and throw them away as fast as you can. Then stack your charge range bonuses - a bloodstoker or two is good for that, and combos well with the juggerlord buff on the charge. Violent urgency isa decent command trait for your juggerlord. A Bloodsecrator can be good too, but if you do the first bit right, you can find yourself charging out of his bubble.

Secondly, you want to maximise damage on the charge, and not get units too bogged down. To that end I’d consider even more skull crushers - up the model count of one or two units to six, so that you can hit that bit harder on the charge. 

In terms of weaknesses, holding objectives with a low model count can be tough, and a bit of a major weakness for the army, so a cheap horde unit or two to at least sit on yours is a decent option (marauders/reavers). 

Thank you for  your sound advice. 

That gave me a Lot of food for thought. Seems to me that a Thirster and a Secrator do not fit into this Kind of list. So I need to think about how to fit in more Crushers ans more bodies overall. I am Not a Fan of Units that I Just throw at the enemy to get deleted, I'd rather use a unit that can kill a chaff unit on it's own, so that the First Blood tithe is from an enemy unit. Brass Stampede does not Like chaff Screens at all. So I guess I should Go for a unit of flesh hounds that can kill a chaff Block and die Afterwards. 

Perhaps I should even use Slaughterpriests instead of a Gaunt Summoner, the +1 to save is pretty sweet on Crushers. I Just need a horde-deleting unit Like Skullreapers or Khorgoraths...

6 hours ago, Salyx said:

Thank you for  your sound advice. 

That gave me a Lot of food for thought. Seems to me that a Thirster and a Secrator do not fit into this Kind of list. So I need to think about how to fit in more Crushers ans more bodies overall. I am Not a Fan of Units that I Just throw at the enemy to get deleted, I'd rather use a unit that can kill a chaff unit on it's own, so that the First Blood tithe is from an enemy unit. Brass Stampede does not Like chaff Screens at all. So I guess I should Go for a unit of flesh hounds that can kill a chaff Block and die Afterwards. 

Perhaps I should even use Slaughterpriests instead of a Gaunt Summoner, the +1 to save is pretty sweet on Crushers. I Just need a horde-deleting unit Like Skullreapers or Khorgoraths...

The problem with that is that it relies on there being an immediately accessible enemy chaff unit to kill. Look at it this way - would you pay an extra sixty points to give all of those skull crushers +3” on every charge? If yes, and I certainly would, then if the furies do even 1 wound as they die it’s pure bonus. You need the buff early, or it loses its value rapidly, I think.

Edited by Baron Wastelands

I built the Skullreapers that I got for Christmas, and I've now begun bashing another set out of spare Bloodreavers and Skullreaper/Wrathmonger parts. I'm particularly proud of this angry lad, whipping his skull trophy collar around LIKE A BOSS.

skullreap.jpeg

• Like 2

Obviously not a competitive list but I'm a big fan of the khorne dragon from fw and Im wondering how to run it. 

Vorgaroth the Scarred 1200

Bloodsecrator 140

Slaughter priest 100

Slaughter preist 100 

10 Blood Reavers 70

10 Blood Reavers 70

5 Blood Warriors 100

Gore Pilgrims 200

1980/2000

I'm undecided on command trait and relics I guess I should make the bloodsecrator general and give him crimson plate and berserker lord or violent urgency? Not sure on what other relic one for a preist maybe the gryph feather charm? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shrouded in the Mist said:

Obviously not a competitive list but I'm a big fan of the khorne dragon from fw and Im wondering how to run it. 

Vorgaroth the Scarred 1200

Bloodsecrator 140

Slaughter priest 100

Slaughter preist 100 

10 Blood Reavers 70

10 Blood Reavers 70

5 Blood Warriors 100

Gore Pilgrims 200

1980/2000

I'm undecided on command trait and relics I guess I should make the bloodsecrator general and give him crimson plate and berserker lord or violent urgency? Not sure on what other relic one for a preist maybe the gryph feather charm? 

Personally I think you're better off with more models for capturing objectives as opposed to gore pilgrims. The extra attack won't be as effective on a model that already has so many attacks up its sleeve.

If you have your heart set on a battalion I would probably run dark feast instead, the stoker will help you get into combat faster, the priest can still buff even if it's less reliable and you'll get a few more models (not many more to be fair)

5 minutes ago, Retro said:

Personally I think you're better off with more models for capturing objectives as opposed to gore pilgrims. The extra attack won't be as effective on a model that already has so many attacks up its sleeve.

If you have your heart set on a battalion I would probably run dark feast instead, the stoker will help you get into combat faster, the priest can still buff even if it's less reliable and you'll get a few more models (not many more to be fair)

I was thinking gore pilgrims to buff the priests to try get a buff on the dragon maybe but limited ranges kind of hurt. I was originally considering a war shrine as mortal wounds are a huge issue for the dragon but I dunno how it would keep up. I did consider a stroker  though with his aerial deploy I was wondering if it was useful or not. 

I thought you would use your Slaughterpriests to heal the Dragon. If you have such a huge model that costs so many Points you should be able to heal some wounds. If your Dragon falls, the Game is over. 

However, for objective purposes this Army has too few bodies. Perhaps you could drop the Bloodsecrator and the Bataillon, Go with 3* Reavers and you have 370 spare Points for chaff and perhaps one fighty unit, so that Not your whole game relies in the Dragon.

As artifact you should Go for the Auto dispel. Especially against death armies with all their buffs/debuffs, a Safe dispel can save your Dragon.

• Like 1

Just from looking at its warscroll you can see the flaws. In a game of MW spam, you could EASILY bring that thing down with the rest list. It would be a stupid easy fix too. Kind of an oversight to not give such a big model more defense, but being Khorne it may have been by design.

• Like 1

Played a couple of casual 1000 point games against Tzeentch yesterday with an experimental list which ended up performing quite well.

We randomly generated scenarios but left the table set up in the same way to mimic tournament conditions. No realm rules were used.

He was running the following:

Ogroid

Gaunt Summoner

20 x Tzangor

20 x Acolytes

10 x Acolytes (Game 1) / 10 x Pink Horrors (Game 2).

I ran the following:

Bloodstoker (General, Violent Urgency, Brazen Rune)

Slaughterpriest (Killing Frenzy)

Karanak

Scyla Anfingrimm

10 x Flesh Hounds

10 x Flesh Hounds (Game 1) / split into 2 x 5 in Game 2

5 x Chaos Knights - Glaives

I wanted to take advantage of the unbind buff flesh hounds get for units of 10, and keep my drops down to try and have say over going first or not. 

My opponent ended up with less drops anyway however the multitude of ways I had to shut down magic was highly effective. 

10 x Flesh Hounds put out 40 attacks and when buffed with killing frenzy and stoked they can really put the hurt on, particular against enemy chaff. 

Game 1: Shifting Objectives

Highlights / Points of Note

• Karanak successfully unbinding a spell and putting 2 mortal wounds on his Quarry (the Ogroid), but dieing to a swarm of Acolytes before he got to attack or summon 😞
  • He gave me first turn so I moved up the minimum amount to claim all 3 objectives, my opponent then moved up to charge my units on all three but failed, perfectly setting me up to charge next turn and sweep them away. However he won the double turn at which point I thought I was toast (he rolled 2 and I 1 and I was shook for a few moments there);
  • He made all his charges this time but made a key tactical error; he chose to attack with the Acolytes on the right flank first which allowed 10 x flesh hounds to fight first against 20 Tzangor on the left flank. Granted the Acolytes killed Karanak before he got to fight but my hounds decimated the Tzangor, killing 9 of them and losing only 4 in return. Had the Tzangors wiped those hounds they then could have swept across the board, taking the centre objective before pinning me to one side. The flesh hounds held that side and eventually won the objective back while I won the grind for the other 2 over the next 2 melee phases;
  • Chaos Knights with glaives were built for slaughtering Acolytes so I sent them after the unit on the right and they did just that, exacting revenge for the slaying of Karanak. I summoned 5 x Bloodletters with the intention of babysitting the centre objective since the knights had moved away however they made their charge into the small unit of Acolytes in the centre which was an unexpected bonus as it helped finish off that small unit and free up my units in the centre.  Scyla Anfingrim proved his worth, using his 6" pile in ability to get in position and take the Ogroid down to 1 wound.
  • The game was over when I won priority in round 3 and Scyla finished off the Ogroid and remaining Acolytes, I summoned another unit of 5 x bloodletters who could help finish the remaining 2 tzangor in case the hounds couldnt, leaving only the Gaunt Summoner and a massive lead on VP already. I shut down my opponents only spell before he called it after his hero phase.

Game 2: Escalation

Highlights / Points of Note

• This battle plan favoured me as I knew I could easily kill any units he moved onto objectives with any of my units.
  • I think the key tactic with Escalation, particularly in low point games, is to focus on 2 objectives. As long as you hold 2 to your opponent's 1 you can't lose.  My opponent set up to threaten all Three; 20 x Acolytes and Ogroid on my left, 20 x Tzangors in the centre and 10 x Pink Horrors on my right supported by the Gaunt Summoner. 
  • I put 10 x flesh hounds on the right with Karanak (the Summoner was my quarry this time), 2 x 5 flesh hounds in the centre and knights on my left.
  • He took first turn, sat the Acolytes on the left objective, ran and charged with the tzangors such that they killed one unit of 5 hounds and capped the centre objective while the horrors couldnt quite get to the right objective and so hunkered down in arcane cover;
  • I responded by moving my knights into position on the left but held them back for the double turn, charged the tzangors with Scyla Anfingrim, failed the charge with the other 5 hounds but they claimed the centre objective so not all bad, moved the 10 hounds on the right up to the objective and Karanak behind them but failed my charges. My rolls were horrendous followed by rolling snake eyes for Scyla's 2D6 attacks however hardly any tzangor could pile in back at him so he survived. 
  • I lost priority round 2 but it mattered little; the Acolytes tried to charge my knights but failed, the tzangors continued hacking at Scyla but he held out, then rolled 11 for his attacks which was about 15 with wounds taken, while the Pink Horrors shot at the hounds for one wound and declined to charge. I stopped whatever magic the Gaunt Summoner attempted and in the end he only held onto the left hand objective.
  • Round 2 for me was glorious as the knights with killing frenzy and stoked charged into the acolytes, 5 hounds joined Scyla against the Tzangors, the 10 hounds charged the horrors and Karanak charged his quarry, the Gaunt Summoner. After the dust cleared the Acolytes were destroyed, the Tzangor had one model left, the Gaunt Summoner was dead (after Karanak just survived his Warptongue blade attack) and the Pink Horrors were reduced to half strength. I held all 3 objectives with only the Ogroid remaining. We rolled for Round 3 priority which I won and immediately called it there.
  • I didnt end up using any bloodtithe, having only accumulated 3 by the time we called it.

Final Thoughts

• Scyla Anfingrim is handy! Would really benefit from Killing Frenzy and/or being stoked. The special pile in is great for getting heroes who think they are safe behind the lines and he has enough attacks to kill most 5 wound heroes.
  • Flesh hounds in large numbers can do real work. They put out heaps of attacks which against some battleline is what you want and if you buff them things can get nasty. The +1 to unbind for larger units was handy. Outside of Gore Pilgrims/Brass Stampede they are probably our best battleline. 
  • As with previous recent 1000 point games my bloodtithe usage was minimal. If I didnt have a spell to unbind it would have been limited to some fairly inconsequential summoning in the first game. I still celebrate each time I earn a point but im not sure why...
  • Didnt get to summon with Karanak, first game he was killed before he had the chance, second game he killed his quarry before getting the chance. The unbind was one and once he got the chance to fight he didnt disappoint. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mastercrafted said:

Whats our best bet for stealing objectives from big blobs of things like chainrasp hordes? I seem to be struggling with this at the moment 

If by 'Stealing' the objective, you mean remove them in 1 turn,  you'd have to focus multiple units to wipe them out. Khorne is pretty much built to wipe out non elite units, but removing 30 Chainrasps (1 wound, 5+ unmodified save, probably immune to battleshock) is going to be hard work in a single turn.

With a lot of our infantry on 32mm bases with a 1" range, I can't see us generating enough attacks via combat, you'd have to whittle it down via ranged attacks first.

You could also use the Slaughterpriest prayer to force them to move off it, might need 2 casts though to move them fully away from the objective.

Edited by Galdenistal
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1