AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

• 1 month later...

Native english speaker need help with Blades of Khorne grand strategy. Rule states:

The Blood Legions March: Your warlord has vowed to open a gateway between this Mortal Realm and Khorne’s infernal domain to bring forth his legions of daemons. When the battle ends, you complete this grand strategy if in every battle round after the first, you summoned KHORNE DAEMON units to the battlefield by expending blood tithe points.

Do I need to spend all the blood tithe points I have each battle round after the first to summon daemons or I can have some left over? Say battle round one three units die and I have three blood tithes. Battle round two I go first and I spend 2 to summon 5 bloodletters and 1 blood tithe is left over. Does that counts for this grand strategy?

@frenk_castle you can summon with tithe leftover and it still counts. The Grand Strat doesnt mention anything about spending all bloodtithe to summon, only that you summon something by "expending blood tithe points". Nowehere does it specify you must spend "all" blood tithe points. You will likely need any leftover tithe for summoning in the following turns.

Hi I plan to play games at 2k but I want main demons, so I thought of this list

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Bloodlords
- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
Slaughterpriest (100)*
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)*
- General
- Command Trait: Slaughterer's Thirst
- Artefact: A'rgath the King of Blades
Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage (280)**
- Artefact: Mark of the slayer
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (85)**
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (85)*
Bloodmaster, Herald of Khorne (85)*
- Artefact: Halo of Blood
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)*
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)**
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)
3 x Bloodcrushers (130)
3 x Bloodcrushers (130)
3 x Bloodcrushers (130)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
Hexgorger Skulls (50)
*Warlord
**Warlord

Total: 2000 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 145
Drops: 15

But I need to buy one bloodthirster and 1 vanguard box and Im not sure if this list is worth, what do you think?

The models you have are good. However, there is a Bloodsecrator missing. Demons really need that extra attack. For this purpose, some additional Wrathmongers might be worth an idea. 

As Slaughterhost you should take the Reapers of Vengeance, because their Command Ability is just too strong to pass. Furthermore you have too many Bloodmasters. Any demon hero can give the Bloodletters reroll ones. If you want to have a hero on foot accompanying the Bloodletters, Skulltaker might be worth a look. About the Bloodletters.. I would play them as one unit of 30 so that they get a lot of attacks and their innate +1 to Hit. Of course they will draw more fire but a unit of 10 is just dead weight. 30 of them, especially if put into Headhunter Bataillon can get some work done. 

Moreover, you should think about a Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with a Crimson Crown. His Command Ability allows your demons to pile in and attack 6 inches. Sound meh at First, but with this pile in, your units do not need to Charge, they can just stand in 6 inches from the next enemy unit. Your opponent cannot pile in, but you can. This means, you always get to strike first. Another Bloodthirster worth considering is Skarbrand. Yes, he is expensive and is as easy to kill as any other Bloodthirster and cannot even fly. But He is still one of the most powerful models in the game when attacking, if not the most powerful. He is pretty much miss or Hit. Against a melee army He will wipe the floor, against a shooty army He can be happy to live in turn 2.

The Fleshhounds are ok, you can take these. 

The Bloodcrushers, however are bad in units of 3, because you mostly play them for impact damage, after a Charge, they become pretty useless. Being able to only take 6 they will Lose Efficiency pretty fast. I do not think it is a good idea to take them at all. 

So much for my 10 Cents, I hop I could help. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Salyx said:

The models you have are good. However, there is a Bloodsecrator missing. Demons really need that extra attack. For this purpose, some additional Wrathmongers might be worth an idea. 

As Slaughterhost you should take the Reapers of Vengeance, because their Command Ability is just too strong to pass. Furthermore you have too many Bloodmasters. Any demon hero can give the Bloodletters reroll ones. If you want to have a hero on foot accompanying the Bloodletters, Skulltaker might be worth a look. About the Bloodletters.. I would play them as one unit of 30 so that they get a lot of attacks and their innate +1 to Hit. Of course they will draw more fire but a unit of 10 is just dead weight. 30 of them, especially if put into Headhunter Bataillon can get some work done. 

Moreover, you should think about a Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury with a Crimson Crown. His Command Ability allows your demons to pile in and attack 6 inches. Sound meh at First, but with this pile in, your units do not need to Charge, they can just stand in 6 inches from the next enemy unit. Your opponent cannot pile in, but you can. This means, you always get to strike first. Another Bloodthirster worth considering is Skarbrand. Yes, he is expensive and is as easy to kill as any other Bloodthirster and cannot even fly. But He is still one of the most powerful models in the game when attacking, if not the most powerful. He is pretty much miss or Hit. Against a melee army He will wipe the floor, against a shooty army He can be happy to live in turn 2.

The Fleshhounds are ok, you can take these. 

The Bloodcrushers, however are bad in units of 3, because you mostly play them for impact damage, after a Charge, they become pretty useless. Being able to only take 6 they will Lose Efficiency pretty fast. I do not think it is a good idea to take them at all. 

So much for my 10 Cents, I hop I could help. 

Thank you too much for such an elaborate response! I Will give a test your advice this week. I havent played any games with khorne yet (come from nurgle) but in November I Will start a league of 9 matchs I Will post my impressions here. 

Another thingIm considering is bring some allies like be'lakor or the mercenary megagargant

I agree with everything Salyx said.  I play Khorne demons (have for 6 years now) and even in this Battleline-focused season, BT spam is still a thing that works.  I love the idea of Bloodletters and own a zillion of them (back from 1.0, when they were broken and dangerous), but I never ever use them.  Same with Crushers.  Until we have our new book, "demons" is BT and doggos, joined by Secrator, Wrathmongers, and a priest.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drkrash said:

I agree with everything Salyx said.  I play Khorne demons (have for 6 years now) and even in this Battleline-focused season, BT spam is still a thing that works.  I love the idea of Bloodletters and own a zillion of them (back from 1.0, when they were broken and dangerous), but I never ever use them.  Same with Crushers.  Until we have our new book, "demons" is BT and doggos, joined by Secrator, Wrathmongers, and a priest.

Yeah its sad because now Im in for Painting all thing bloodletters...

IMG_20221005_120333.jpg

IMG_20220911_211759.jpg

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi khornites!

Im building a list for a Game this friday, what do you think?

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: Reapers of Vengeance
- Grand Strategy: Take What's Theirs
- Triumphs:

Leaders
Bloodsecrator (125)
- General
- Command Trait: Mage Eater
- Artefact: Skullshard Mantle
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Prayer: Blood Sacrifice
Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (295)
Skarbrand (380)
Be'Lakor, the Dark Master (360)

Battleline
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)
5 x Flesh Hounds (105)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
10 x Bloodletters (110)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (145)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Hexgorger Skulls (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 0 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 118
Drops: 11

But I dont know if drop bloodletters for more flesh hounds...

And if I take a warlord battallion which artifact should I take?

Thanks in advance fellas

questions, when is it the invocations move? in both hero phases our only mine? the use of their seems weird to me. And also, when should i roll the hatred of sorcery? lets say that i got a unit close to a sigil of tzeentch, do i roll when that unit is picked and thus affected or do i only roll ifthe sigil roll is 4+? 

Edited by itgnightraven

17 hours ago, itgnightraven said:

questions, when is it the invocations move? in both hero phases our only mine? the use of their seems weird to me. And also, when should i roll the hatred of sorcery? lets say that i got a unit close to a sigil of tzeentch, do i roll when that unit is picked and thus affected or do i only roll the sigil roll is 4+? 

About the sigil I Will throw hatred of sorcery always. Last Game a purple sun put a -1 to saves in area so I throw for all the units in said área, maybe It was wrong

If you have the spare Blood Tithe points available, shut down that Purple Sun outright as it's being cast.  It even cancels out auto-casts that prohibit unbinding (eg: Teclis), as the Tithe ability states 'the spell is not successfully cast', not that it's automatically unbound.

I think the Daemons will get some help in the next tome as well.  But you have some good units, and the paintjobs are looking excellent as well!

1 hour ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Under the new tome, slaves units only get a god mark when chosen in a slaves army so won't benefit from bloodsecrator etc.

You can take them as coalition as opposed to Allies but that doesn't help with buffs etc

I think that they are going to still be marked. Erratas (even if they are old) are still above Battletomes and the only option to have any coalition from Slaves to Darkness is with the Mark of Chaos and must be given the Khorne keyword.

They will not gain any buffs because that's part of the Slaves to Darnkess Allegiance, but they should have the Khorne keyword. 

Btw, pretty sure that all interactions between god specific keywords are going to change for the whole armies name (Blades of Khorne).

1 hour ago, Rors said:

Yeah as coalition units they gain the respective god mark when joining any of the mono legions.
Slaves player here asking how y'all find Skarbrand. I'm considering allying him in as a counter punch unit.

I'm not the expert but basically I think if theres any way to up his attacks in StD then he should be exactly as deadly (and fragile) as he is in BoK. If not then he'll probably still do the damage you're looking for but without the "I roll 2 dice and deal 30 mw's" interaction he may not be doing more than 380 points of alternative options.

On 11/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, 123lac said:

Been out of the loop for quite some time, but can blades of khorne make use of the slaves to darkness units without any penalties or having to ally them in?

The new warriors and chosen look amazing.

If I were you I'd wait on buying anything until after the book comes out and there's an errata/FAQ on the coalitions. Like @Agent of Chaos said technically the mark system is messed up right now. The current rules for the coalition are based on the old S2D book where the rules for giving marks were on the warscroll, but in the new book they moved over to allegiance abilities for the models and those specifically say that you only get the marks when you're taken in a Slaves to Darkness army. The coalition rules do say that you must give a S2D unit the mark when taken as coalition, but there's no legal way to do that right now. I totally expect them to just change the wording to say something like "2 in every 4 units in the army can be a coalition unit from the Slaves to Darkness faction that has the Mark of Chaos keyword. Those units gain the Khorne keyword" so it matches the beastmen rules, but it's not guaranteed. For example Archaon very specifically doesn't gain marks when added to the god marked armies (he doesn't have the Mark of Chaos keyword and he gains marks based off his warscroll rules, but only in a S2D army), so if they made him not get a mark maybe they'll do the same with the other units. 

7 hours ago, Rors said:

Yeah as coalition units they gain the respective god mark when joining any of the mono legions.
Slaves player here asking how y'all find Skarbrand. I'm considering allying him in as a counter punch unit.

I don't think he'll work particularly well in S2D. He's great in Khorne, but that's because he can easily get +2 attacks on Carnage and he can pile in/attack twice with the sub faction command ability. If you're taking him as an ally in S2D you won't have any ally points to take wrathmongers or the bloodsecrator so no attack boosts and obviously no double pile in. You're pretty much left with a slow, squishy, foot slogging monster that'll do 8 mortal wounds and then just die. Not overly exciting for 380 points.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1