AoS 2 - Blades of Khorne Discussion

Gaz Taylor

On 1/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, ArmyOfGrodd said:

Has anyone put together any Bloodcrusher lists since the price drop?

I've been trying, but I find Khorne Daemons a little bit awkward in general. I think you need to do one or two units of 9 Crushers to ensure the benefit of their main "thing" (and to get value from the Reapers command).  That's a very unwieldy footprint.

Alternatively, maybe you spam units of 3 in a Blood Host and get much better value from the Bloodlords command? The Rage Thirster likes Bloodlords I guess. It's hard for me to look past Reapers though...

40 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

could give a Khorne Daemon Prince "The Crimson Crown" artifact, so that he can use his command ability once per battle round for free.

Yeah, it makes sense to use that artefact with the best warscroll command we have access to. He can still take Hew the Foe.

• Like 1

@ArmyOfGrodd I've tried a unit of 6 Bloodcrushers in a Murderhost in Reapers of Vengeance for 3 games, and I immediately took them out. They really want to charge and I was playing them in a list that doesn't want to charge but pile in 6" via Unfettered Fury.

As for me, I've been quiet since I'm preparing for LVO and have been list building, playing and painting to the max with my free time. I've had to make some adjustments to my list due to painting constraints. I'll post my list once the deadline for LVO passes (Next week, the 13th).

• Like 2

Everyone else having a good run with Mighty Skullcrushers since the point drop? 400 points for 6+ a bloodstoker is pretty deadly. Last game I wiped them, dropped both bronzed flesh and killing frenzy and charged them in unsupported at the start of round 2. They did some serious damage. Lost the roll off and ate a double turn. Didn’t even matter, they couldn’t be moved on a 2+ save. Had 2 left at the end of the battle. Easily the MVPs of the game for me.

8 hours ago, Troll.exe said:

Everyone else having a good run with Mighty Skullcrushers since the point drop? 400 points for 6+ a bloodstoker is pretty deadly. Last game I wiped them, dropped both bronzed flesh and killing frenzy and charged them in unsupported at the start of round 2. They did some serious damage. Lost the roll off and ate a double turn. Didn’t even matter, they couldn’t be moved on a 2+ save. Had 2 left at the end of the battle. Easily the MVPs of the game for me.

I tried a unit of 6 (all I have) and they did okay in a game against Squigs. Wound up only getting a couple in for the mortal wounds and managed to roll a 1 for one of their charges but they survived for a good while. Unbuffed I found their damage from attacks to be pretty lacking but still felt they were worth 320 points just for the mobile 30, 3+ save wounds.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Troll.exe said:

Q: The Relentless Fury, Murderous Paragon and No Respite abilities allow a model that has been slain to pile in and attack before it is removed from play. What happens if more than one of these abilities apply at the same time?
A: The model would be allowed to pile in and attack once for each ability that applied to it before being removed from play.

From here we we can see that once relentless fury has been resolved that the model is still on the field. Since it’s an attack in the combat phase and the first attack then as long there’s something within 3” then you have to immediately apply leave none alive. 

Is this accurate? Is leave none alive an ability to allows a unit to attack before being removed? I play khorne myself and love this if its, in fact true, but this seems wrong.

30 minutes ago, phizzco said:

Is this accurate? Is leave none alive an ability to allows a unit to attack before being removed? I play khorne myself and love this if its, in fact true, but this seems wrong.

Relentless fury, no respite and murderous paragon allow you to attack before removing the model from play.

I was discussing a very specific scenario where relentless fury is in effect and you use Leave none alive on a bloodthirster, for example. Then that  bloodthirster is killed before being able to attack. 

In that example the bloodthirster would be able to attack twice before being removed from play. Once for relentless fury and then again immediately for Leave none alive. Since the relentless fury attack is an “Attack” in the “Combat phase”. That triggers leave none alive. And the ability has to be resolved immediately, so this happens before you remove the model.

I just seems strange that you would be able to activate an ability that requires a unit not be dead, after it should already be removed. I understand that no respite and relentless fury trigger when something dies but rather than be treated as a standard attack, it would view it as a special ability. Obviously this isn't as written, but seems like an oversight by the writers....

I'll definitely take advantage of this when I can regardless.

I'm kinda surprised that people aren't appreciating the potential of Chosen, especially in concert with two of the best Slaves units in the game: the Warshrine and Chaos Marauders. I think these 3 make a very good symbiotic trio in, say, a Goretide Gore Pilgrims list.

Chosen are basically budget Skullreapers IMO. One less attack, but faster, with a Bravery debuff and a great buff for Marauders (who, when fighting in two ranks with attacks buffs, are absolutely brutal). At 10 for 280, that's 80 less than the alternative MW infantry hammer option of Skullreapers. With both units under the shadow of a Brazen Fury Warshrine, you have a passive ward save, maybe battleshock immunity, and a range of options to further increase durability or fish for MWs (and additional Rend -1 wounds).

I think these guys are a killer trio.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roark said:

I'm kinda surprised that people aren't appreciating the potential of Chosen, especially in concert with two of the best Slaves units in the game: the Warshrine and Chaos Marauders. I think these 3 make a very good symbiotic trio in, say, a Goretide Gore Pilgrims list.

Chosen are basically budget Skullreapers IMO. One less attack, but faster, with a Bravery debuff and a great buff for Marauders (who, when fighting in two ranks with attacks buffs, are absolutely brutal). At 10 for 280, that's 80 less than the alternative MW infantry hammer option of Skullreapers. With both units under the shadow of a Brazen Fury Warshrine, you have a passive ward save, maybe battleshock immunity, and a range of options to further increase durability or fish for MWs (and additional Rend -1 wounds).

I think these guys are a killer trio.

I do like them, but I think there are two problems with chosen. The first is their buff is wholly within 12 and only after killing something. That's going to be pretty tricky to pull off, especially if you're taking a big unit of marauders. Plus if you're trying to trigger the buff your opponent will have a chance to hit the marauders first and they die to a stiff breeze.

The second is you have to either buy those unattractive, massively overpriced, finecast miniatures... Or you have to go through a lot of work and extra kits to bash together a custom unit. A decent hobby challenge if that's what you want I guess.

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 1

The other benefit with Chosen is the base size. The same footprint as a unit of 10 blood warriors. You can easily take a unit of 10 and get them all into combat. With just a bloodsecrator and a warshrine to buff them that is some crazy damage. 

You cant say the same for a unit of 10 skullreapers. And you only need a 3 with a reroll from the shrine to get the reroll hits and wounds. Skullreapers have a reroll vanilla but only against units with 5+ models. If your opponent knows what they’re doing they’ll tie them up with a smaller unit.

6 hours ago, Grimrock said:

wholly within 12 and only after killing something. That's going to be pretty tricky to pull off, especially if you're taking a big unit of marauders. Plus if you're trying to trigger the buff your opponent will have a chance to hit the marauders first and they die to a stiff breeze.

I definitely take your point, however I think they're worth it even without seeking to activate the buff, with Warshrine rerolls for MWs. If you did want to activate it though, I think you would make it dependent on whether you got Bronzed Flesh off on the big unit of Marauders so they are saving on 4+ 6++. 

Even with just 3 attacks each and a frontage of only 8 (to conservatively manage the buff range), the Marauders are gonna be coming in with 49 very high quality attacks. They are worth investing in IMO, and the Chosen serve as really reliable redundancy for a Bloodstoker.

6 hours ago, Grimrock said:

you have to either buy those unattractive, massively overpriced, finecast miniatures... Or you have to go through a lot of work and extra kits to bash together a custom unit. A decent hobby challenge if that's what you want I guess

For me, this is the really hard bit. I've got 10 Skullcrusher heads on standby, and I've been looking at Stormcast parts, non-GW third party, 40K Chaos Possessed parts, heaps and heaps of different combos and options and I still can't come up with something feasible satisfactory. It's extremely frustrating.  😞

Model aesthetics are kinda important to me, which is why I don't use GW Marauders either.

• Like 1

Let’s talk about Bloodreavers..

they’re gorgeous models and fun flavor. Meatripper axe or reaver blades are both good choices in situations. 

You can whip and goretide them across the board in a 40 block, but their biggest weakness is that they’re too fast! 

They will battleshock in droves unless you burn cp using inspiring. They can easily out range even a gorepilgrims bloodsecrator and they really shine when they are in the bloodsecrator wholly within 16 to get the +2 attacks. 

I just can’t find a way to use them efficiently and I don’t think they will see competitive play besides tax units and back/deep strike denial. 

The biggest loss was the Bloodsecrator losing battleshock immunity on them. Perhaps get rid of the wholly within 16 bonus attack and make it within 16 battleshock immunity. We might then see play from them.

41 minutes ago, Sneeto said:

they’re gorgeous models and fun flavor. Meatripper axe or reaver blades are both good choices in situations. 

You can whip and goretide them across the board in a 40 block, but their biggest weakness is that they’re too fast! 

They will battleshock in droves unless you burn cp using inspiring. They can easily out range even a gorepilgrims bloodsecrator and they really shine when they are in the bloodsecrator wholly within 16 to get the +2 attacks. 

I just can’t find a way to use them efficiently and I don’t think they will see competitive play besides tax units and back/deep strike denial. 

The biggest loss was the Bloodsecrator losing battleshock immunity on them. Perhaps get rid of the wholly within 16 bonus attack and make it within 16 battleshock immunity. We might then see play from them.

I don't know, I've been running bloodreavers in pretty much every list and they're one of my favourite units. Not for combat or resilience, but just as a nice cheap screen that can be surprisingly potent if you toss out a few buffs. If an opponent underestimates them in a dark feast battalion, a little 10 man unit can easily toss out 41 attacks, 3+/4+ with rerolls and rend 1. Sure it's rare that they earn their points back individually, but they're fantastic in enabling your other units to weather an alpha and still strike back.

That being said, 40 man units just don't really make sense right now. Like you said, too flimsy and difficult to buff. I always run them as 10 man units for maximum tithe production and flexibility. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sneeto said:

They're fine as a tax. Base 6 move and +1" run from musician makes them good objective grabbers. They have comparable output to dogs for less points.

Their inability to perform as a big unit is more a problem of Khorne book having no viable mortal playstyle than their own scroll. Demons get all the good abilities and mortals are chaff/screen/bp source.

Edited by Smooth criminal

5 hours ago, Sneeto said:

For what it's worth, I run a Goretide Bloodsecrator with the Thermalrider's Cloak -essentially giving his aura a 32+d6" aura if you run and buff.

• Like 1

I've been running brass despoilers since the points drop on bullgors and ghorgon, and theyve been fun!

I've been thinking about how to cram the new archaon into a list, and I think that the bloodforged batallion might be stupidly fun, even if it's not very good it'll certainly generate a WTF from your opponent.

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
Skullgrinder (80)
- General
- Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Banner of Khorne (Artefact): Banner of Wrath
Skarr Bloodwrath (100)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxe & Gorefist
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
5 x Wrathmongers (140)
Bloodforged (120)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 115

Goretide gives archaon rerolls to wound,  and pretty much the whole army fights multiple times per combat phase.

I'm gonna test it tomorrow Vs FEC and report back.

It's just a shame archaon can't use his command ability on anyone but himself.

• Like 1

I am trying to work out 2000pts of Blades of Khorne for our local Tale of Gamers.

1. Trying to minimize extra purchases. 
2. Aware that deploying summonable daemons may not be terribly efficient.
3. I also have Karanak but Azyr and WSB disagree as to him taking a Hero slot or not. 

What I have at the moment:

Allegiance: Khorne
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
2x Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)
Mighty Lord of Khorne (140)
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
10 x Bloodletters (110)
20 x Bloodreavers (70)
10 x Flesh Hounds 
3 x Bloodcrushers (120)
2 x Khorgoraths (100)
Bleeding Icon (40)
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1860 / 2000
(2k if I can take Karanak and  buy another 5x Flesh Hounds)

I like the new Chaos Warriors and Knights (but would possibly hold out for a proper multpart kit). 

I like Skarbrand, but think he could maybe be a 'reward' for getting the rest of the army finished. 😁

I also have an Altar...not looking to be Tournament  ready, but wondering if I have the basics for a functional army?

For instance, would I be better stopping out a unit of Hounds, the Bloodletters, etc to get Chaos Warriors and/or Knights in?

Thank you.

• Like 1

It’s a functional army so would give it a go. Over time I would consider dropping the letters as 10 is not good for them and replacing with eg wrathmongers and or skull reapers.

i would split the bloodwarriors and reavers into 5s and 10s, respectively.

karanak does not take a leader,  he is a unique hero which makes him really interesting to take as leader slots are at a premium plus he brings some useful abilities.

• Thanks 1