Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Jeah I have red this and have to say I am really disappointed that the amount of command points depends on how many warscroll battalions you use.

I had hoped warscroll battalions might not play such a big role in the new edition, but I think I was wrong. I don't like this change. 

Factions with less access to battalions or where the battalions cost very much are at a disadvantage. I really don't like this. 

Now there are even more advantages tied to battalions. How could GW include this? In my opinion it does nothing for the balance of the game.

Why not give every player the same amount of command points every turn? This would be "balanced". I really don't like battalions as a mechanic in AoS at all. It is just an unfair mechanic.

Command points sound like they will be an extremely limited resource.  Maybe a max of three at the beginning of the battle.

This also makes it seem pretty clear that there will be some sort of 'standard battalion' warscrolls, like 'one hero and two battleline' so that older armies have some way of competing.

6 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Not the greatest fan of tying it to Battalions.

EDIT: Never mind, you get the extra points through Battalions only at the beginning of a game. Still makes armies with good Battalions better but it is not as bad as I initially thought.

LOL at the new inspiring presence, now my aether khemist with aethershock earbuster will work in shooting phase since they won't be able to use inspiring presence till battleshock phase, awesome.

Also the battlion thing is ******... SCE have a million battlions, KO have 4......., not to mentions other armies have like 1 and alot of them are ******.

9 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

Was really hoping this mechanic would give me a reason to ever take a Wight King but nope, still gonna stay on the shelf with command points being tied to battalions.

Agreed  (battalions generating cp isn’t great). Hoping they’ll be other ways (as hinted) to get them. However if you think about it, without a battalion you generate the same number as command abilities you can use now except you get to choose which of all your abilities you can use and potentially store them up. The Inspiring Presence change is also interesting as you can hold onto the command point if you find you don’t need it - verses your opponent killing all the nearby heroes and damage the unit to prevent it being used.

Overall I like this

Just now, nine7six said:

Also the battlion thing is ******... SCE have a million battlions, KO have 4......., not to mentions other armies have like 1 and alot of them are ******.

Given we dont yet know what they have changed for battalions that point is kinda moot. Also, the current SCE ones are so varied and huge youll never get more than one anyway.

I like the overall idea, even if I don't really plan on using my Battalion (160 I feel like taking another unit for). 

It also adds value to little cheap heroes like Fleetmasters, if you've the spare command points. Seems that way anyway! 

Not a fan of the command point system.  It really turns the entire game (not just matched play) into list building.    Also tying to battalions...

What a bummer, you can tell their community experts are just really in love with tournament list building. 

Not a fan of tying command points to batallions. Overall, I'm not a fan of the batallion mechanic in general, as i think it tends to homogenize lists, and that's going to get worse now that there are even more advantages to using them.

Jeah its really a bummer. I mean overall I really like the system. But the part with the command points tied to battalions ruins everything. 

Who in their right mind has thought of this idea. If they remove the single aspect that the command points aren't tied to battalions it would be such a great mechanic. 

Meanwhile for all the players who never used many battalions it changes nothing, while the people who often used battalions get a lot of extras. As if battalions hadn't enough advantages (all-in-one drop, extra artifacts). I really hope that in exchange they remove the one-drop and artifact mechanic or else it just seems ridiculous!

I would hope that the general could use his command ability for free, and that other characters pay points to use theirs.  But, the "generic" command abilities make me think otherwise, since they are tied to the general within 12" or any hero within 6".

Right now, my average army build would start with 1 (for a battalion), and gain one in each hero phase.  So, in turn 1, I would generate a point and probably wouldn't use any abilities.  Next turn, I'd gain another, bringing my total CP to 3.  Then use a command ability and have 2 left over. 

It looks like this will allow you to use a command ability and use inspiring presence in the battleshock phase (CP permitting) on the unit that got hit the hardest, whereas before, if your general used his ability, nothing was getting inspiring presence.

Well at least it's just 1 extra point per battallion so it's not some super massive bonus but yeah I'm bit disappointed that they tied those command points to battalions.

I like though the fact that c.points are given 1 per turn. This ensures super 1 turn kill combos early on won't work (unless you have billion cheap battalions).

I quite like being able to stockpile command points. For my bloodbound army I often don't need my combat centric command abilities first turn so now I can save them for a more impactful turn later.

The change to inspiring presence is nice because I will no longer have to guess which of my units will take the most damage and if I go second there will be less chance of a unit running away before I get a chance to react.

I've always liked battalions because they change up how I play my armies while using the same models. My bloodbound army is very different when I use the brass stampede vs bloodforged, vs dark feast. 

If I recall correctly they are going to be changing how who goes first is determined so hopefully that will help balance out the power of battalions. Though to be honest, in the non turnament setting I usually play in, the ability to know where my opponent is if they one drop has been enough to balance it in my experience.

I do like the combo of accumulating command points and not need to use inspiring presence until the battleshock phase. It gets rid of the "I guess I'll put inspiring presence on these guys since I have nothing else to do" especially in first turn when two non-alphastrike armies are playing. So now you can save that first turn command point and only spend it on inspiring if your opponent gets a lucky charge. Of course a bit part of problem of not being able to use a command ability usefully is only your general being able to use it, so everyone being able to do it does seem like it would use them up quicker.

I'm a fan.  Including a battalion grants you a whopping one additional use of a command ability over the course of the game.  They kept it simple, and I really don't see what all the moaning is about.  Small tweaks to enhance gameplay are far preferable to disrupting the entire system they've built.

6 hours ago, Elmir said:

GW will be selling premium scatter dice to assist with this new mechanic! ;)

Perhaps a die that can indicate that something with the fire spell went wrong. Perhaps misfire dice are a good idea! 

And suitable red measiring sticks by any chancev 

I think people are jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly. Here's a few important things to note:

a. Going first isnt completely determined by drops so the reduced drops from having a battalion is less impactful on the game as a whole
b. Battalions no longer directly give bonus artifacts*
c. Battalions are going to cost less points (you can see this in the last 4 battletomes)

*LLV said artifacts are bought with command points, so there's now a tradeoff with spending CP for command abilities or for artifacts. This is similar to how 40k makes the tradeoff between stratagems and relics.

It's also not impossible to think that new battalions are coming for new and old factions alike in either the core rulebook or the generals handbook or malign sorcery or some other supplement. We've already seen them add Battalions in GHB17, but a lot of people forget that they were adding battalions constantly in every supplements like the Realmgate Wars before the GHB was ever released. They are a core part of the game and won't be ignored.

3 minutes ago, Richelieu said:

I'm a fan.  Including a battalion grants you a whopping one additional use of a command ability over the course of the game.  They kept it simple, and I really don't see what all the moaning is about.  Small tweaks to enhance gameplay are far preferable to disrupting the entire system they've built.

It is small, but ultimately will lead to an even bigger focus on battalions, which are already considered to be the driving divider between good and bad armies.

Will be interesting how it all comes together in the end but I guess you can understand that people might not like battalions getting even more important and powerful.

A few things to point out. Everchosen are getting a new battalion so it would not be surprising to see a lot of armies getting new battalions in the new ghb. There are rumours that the first turn is getting a roll off which would reduce the impact of battalions as well. They may even decide to change the artifact rule. We also don’t know how much battalions are going to cost in the new edition. 

Even then I could only imagine an absolute maximum of three battalions in your typical army.  I don’t see this being super swingy in terms of game play. Everyone is going to be getting one command point a turn. Instead it is a way of giving more choice to players. Essentially players will be able to choose which ability to use each turn and also whether they want to save the command points for a later turn. 

It looks like the new ghb will be adding artefacts to most factions. One or two new battalions for every faction that lacks them could make things interesting. 

I think this is a positive change which increases tactical options without over complicating the game.

I for once hated the increase of points for battalions but if they gain another bonus (command points) they might be worth taking. I still prefer cheap batallions so that you could take few of them and also those less popular. If the prices stay high it will change nothing in that matter. Just those popular will be taken even more often. 

I really like the new CP and CA mechanics, on two aspects at least : 

1. CP are indeed a limited ressource, but there is now 3 generic CA options, you can choose the hero using it, or to stockpile CP, etc. - it's really good IMO. 

2. The battalion aspect must not but overestimated : as said above we'll have MAX 3 valuations per army, IMO more like 1-2 (for Matched play at least). Also, the new GHB may give us as @TheKingInYellow suggested above new Ballations like in GHB2017 (alongside new artefacts and new allegiance abilities).

With the tie-double turn, it's a nice little change :) 

Archived