Age of Sigmar: Second Edition

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Ok it's up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/05/soul-wars-announced/

Huge releases! I love it!

But they said nothing about the core rules being free? Is this intentional? Do we still get the core rules for free? I am a bit confused.

I'm fairly sure in the guide to the new edition, the Core Rules will always be free. I think they're just a little more than 4 pages now or something?

EDIT: https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/WarhammerAgeOfSigmar-QA.pdf 

It says in here they will be free still. 

13 minutes ago, Infeston said:

But they said nothing about the core rules being free? Is this intentional? Do we still get the core rules for free? I am a bit confused.

Yeah it's a bit confusing.  You have the "Core Book" (The Worlds Definative Guide to the Greatest Fantasy Miniatures Game" and then the Core Rules.  The Core Book is the big 320 page affair that includes a copy of the Core Rules.  The Core Rules are the ?? page rules you need to actually play a game.  The rest of the Core Book will contain background, maps, painting guides and I would guess information on how to build an army and possibly some battle plans.

15 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

Trying not to come across confrontational but still trying to get my point across. 

It's the rules. Plus the community site has better pictures and videos up now - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/06/05/soul-wars-announced/

I know everybody gets excited about leaks and stuff but GW are really good at managing it now and we get amazing pictures of stuff within hours of a hastily taken picture. I personally would rather see the better pictures ;) 

So it seems matched play is going to get expensive, rule book required for 6 battle plans and realm rules (spells and magic artifacts), GHB required for 12 battle plans and points, magic required if you want snazzy spells.

On one hand: the 30th feels like a long way off. On the other: so does payday.

I'll be really interested to see if Malign Sorcery gets taken up by the competitive community. I'm definitely getting it, but this confirmation that it's very much an expansion, like Malign Portents, makes me suspect that it'll get cut out of event packs.

I was waiting for Sigmar to finish the video with, "You are... my Space Marines."

Mortiarch of Grief is looking great art in form though.

I'm surprised to see them putting out Malign Sorcery at the same time as the core rules though. An expansion at the exact same time as a core release? Ehhh.

So it seems there's going to be Three Main Books

The Core Rules which essentially is a guide to the Age of Sigmar setting, and contains the main rule-set.

AoSSoulWarsLaunch-CoreBook11dv.jpg

Then the Generals handbook 2018 which seems to be  similar to the rest of the general handbook releases, containing army rules and point values, and a more in-depth look at the different styles of play in AOS.

AoSSoulWarsLaunch-GenHandbook2018jbgr.jpg

The the Malign Sorcery supplement which expands the magic phase with endless spell, including missions and painting tutorials.

AoSSoulWarsLaunch-MalSorBox7wg.jpg

So just to clarify, the only thing of note in the core rules for matched play is 6 battleplans? 

Dont want to sound negative about this, but I really dont want to spend ~£35 on a massive book when I'm only using 6 pages!

The art on the GHB and Corebook look absolutely stunning!

3 minutes ago, stato said:

So it seems matched play is going to get expensive, rule book required for 6 battle plans and realm rules (spells and magic artifacts), GHB required for 12 battle plans and points, magic required if you want snazzy spells.

Yeah, this is my concern. One of the things I've loved about AoS since getting back into Warhammer was how fairly inexpensive it has been to play, even matched play.

I like how it is a modular rules set and with core rules and warscrolls all free - this is absolutely fantastic. 

I don't get to play as many games as I would like and regret buying last year's GHB as I've not really used it. I'm not too fussed about about Malign Sorcery (although I do like the concept and it looks cool). However, I'm interested in Realm of Battle rules and Grand Alliance alligence abilities (unless I've missed it, it doesn't say where these will be) - will this mean I'll have to buy both core rule book and the GHB? 

But maybe as I tend to only play casual games, I'll either just stick with last year's alligence abilities and get the core book or not bother about Realm of Battle rules. 

Of course this does depend on how they price things and I guess their is options for getting starter box and selling miniatures etc. 

From a creativity aspect though, I'm pretty pleased - it looks great and defiantely has me hooked. Just wish I could afford more and/or was able to play more often!

Archived