The Black Sunz - Ironjawz - Update 28/02 - PICS! Whole new army painted!!

Chris Tomlin

Morning,

I'm feeling less exuberant than I should considering it's Friday and I'm off to a Tournament later today...this is due to staying up past 3.30am last night/this morning and being up at normal time this morning for work. Less than 4 hours sleep is not conducive to a cheery Megaboss!!

Still, I finish at 3pm and am meeting @Paul Buckler, before going to get @Andy Talbot and @ChippyRick then heading up to Sheffield for the Slaughter this weekend. We are all using different Alliances so get to compete in the team event. Should be pretty cool.

Also, I should clarify my reason for being awake until a ridiculous hour; painting Ironjawz!! I kind of lost track of time as I was painting my Crossbow Brute. It's not my best paintjob but I just think he's awesome regardless. I'll have some pics for you soon, the ones I took in the early hours were not great.

Downside is that I got so engrossed in him that I didn't really finish off my Shaman! (The model I actually need for the weekend). Still, he is to a useable standard and tbh doesn't need too much more work at all. Again, looking forward to sharing some pics with you.

I don't really have any expectations for the weekend gaming wise, but there's a lot of cool people going so it should be fun regardless. Wish me luck!!

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, Soulsmith said:

Just caught up, great stuff. Looking forward to stuff from Amorcica. Man I wish we were getting giant crossbow brutes, though I would not be against black powder!

Cheers dude! I too would not be against black powder...just gimme something, anything, goddammit!! ;) 

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, N_Watson said:

I don't mind the big posts. I read all the posts though, so I would know what you are referencing on your tidied approach. Might be harder for people who don't subscribe and join in on the most recent post of the thread. 

Loving the update btw! 

Yeh good point. Best bet is to probably try and reply like this, to a couple at a time without letting loads of comments build up.

Glad you like the updates!

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Also, I should clarify my reason for being awake until a ridiculous hour; painting Ironjawz!! I kind of lost track of time as I was painting my Crossbow Brute. It's not my best paintjob but I just think he's awesome regardless. I'll have some pics for you soon, the ones I took in the early hours were not great.

I can imagine many worse reasons for staying up all night! Also, how dare you post this without any pics?! :D

Morning moody Monday morning Maw-krushas!

So this past weekend was the Sheffield Slaughter, a 72 player 5 game event. I almost dropped out due to a severe lack of funds and not really feeling it in the week leading up to it, but in the end went along to hang out with mates and push my Ironjawz around. I'm glad I did go and thanks to the generosity of my friends was able to have a few beers (thanks all!).

Ended up playing 5 great games vs @Ben Johnson, @Liam Cook, Rob Noyce (@?), @Russ Veal & Tom Fretwell (@?), which I will cover here in more detail.

The scoring system was a bit unique so I'll have to explain that too, but for now I'm pleased to say I managed 12th place (of 72), which I'm pretty pleased with truth be told. Had a good bit of luck in some places (conversely some bad luck elsewhere), but hey, you need that for a good finish.

Unfortunately missed out on painting by two votes to @Bananaman Tim Fisher. I'm more than ok with this however as Tim is genuinely a long time (easily 10+ years) inspiration to me and my painting/modelling, great to see him scoop his first AoS painting trophy. Many more to come I'm sure.

Anyway, ask and you shall receive @N_Watson, @Soulsmith, @Solaris and @Durant..here are some poor pics I took of the two models quickly before I left on Friday. Some are a little blurry and the zoom deteriorates the quality. But yeh, I'm happy with them, still a bit more I'd like to do on the Shaman, but he's good enough for the time being.

Enjoy,
Chris

IMG_9518.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

IMG_9520.JPG

IMG_9521.JPG

IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

IMG_9524.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

IMG_9526.JPG

Edited by Chris Tomlin
  • Like 11

33 minutes ago, Durant said:

Great miniatures but I do not lilke the face of the shaman, it looks strage I do not know if it is the miniature or your painting. Any way waiting for more

Hey,

Oh no! That's a shame, I think his face is great (sculptwise)! Looks proper tripping out and mental. His mouth is beautifully sculpted and paints up lovely.

The eye area may require a bit more work tbh. The fluorescent pigment doesn't show too well in the photos, or in person at distance. I feel I may need to shade the socket the re-glaze the pigment just to add more definition. The actual eyes themselves are exactly what I wanted to achieve, like I say its defining the sockets better before adding the glow...I think. We'll see.

Randomly I am also particularly happy with the bottom of his staff (from the front, from behind the wash pooled a bit). That turned out exactly as I hoped. I was pleased that @Ben Johnson also noted that he liked this part.

@Chris Tomlin Having loved the old Rugluds armoured orcs of old i would love your idea of crossbow brutes becoming a reality (hell I'd even take crossbow Ard boyz.)

I just wonder if it happened,  would you see your army including some for good measure or actually shifting to focus? 

I know the ironfist and brute horde is wonderful, but with  crossbow brutes I wonder if we would see a shift to wierdfist armies running shamans on balewind vortexes surrounded by Ard boys and backed up by crossbow brutes?

• Like 1

Midway through the week...it's Wednesday already you bunch of Weirdnobs!

Unfortunately work is pretty busy, so I don't see any battle reports forthcoming this week, but we'll get caught up soon enough no drama. I'm planning another batch of 9 short ones like I did above with 42-50 and then get around to the Slaughter games in more detail (though there will also be reports on the next Age of Sigbrah podcast, to be released 10/03/17).

Thanks for all the replies, sorry I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday;

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:19 AM, Gaz Taylor said:

I like it @Chris Tomlin I can see what @Durant is saying but I think you are right in the fluorescent green doesn't come out well in photos. Looks like it needs something else to help define it from the picture. But I do like it

Well tbh it needs a little more work. I dread to think how many thinned down glazes I've used already, but I blocked some colour back out with Celestra Grey so had to start building it up again to where it is in the pics. It is super bright and has a proper glow in person. Need to darken it towards the end and add some little flecks/spots I think. I'll try to define the eye sockets better at that time. I've set him to one side for the moment though as I work on different projects.

As it stands, I'm more than happy with this anyway tbh.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, Fungrim said:

CrossBrute looks awesome. GW needs to get on this asap

Shaman is really nicely executed as well mate, love the smoke - seen a lot of different approaches to it but you can't beat a nice toxic green!

Thanks man, I just think the Crossbow Brute works! A few people did comment to me at the Slaughter that whilst they liked the model, they didn't think an Ironjaw would wield a missile weapon. TBH I'm not sure we will ever see anything like this if it doesn't fit GW's fluff.

My current thinking is to do a few of them as Spear Chukkas and paint up some Grot loaders to act as "crew". Just need to ascertain whether 40mm is a suitable base size.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Durant said:

I sory to say it as I find your paint work very good (better then mine ;) ) I think it is something with his eyes, or this part of face it is flat. Perhaps it is the photo. or just me :D

Haha it's all good mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion and like/dislike whatever they choose. I don't take offence and it's nice to hear a different viewpoint. As it is, I do agree, but also think in part its the photos. However even in person, viewing the model at anything other than close up offers a similar issue. I need to make the glow around the eyes more distinct from the skin-tone and also define the sockets. Thanks for your feedback, it'll help finish the model off and be even better.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:51 AM, NoobhammerN8 said:

They both look great, I just think the shaman looks surprised. Maybe foot went off for once?

Haha!! Yeh that's fair. Managed it 3/5 times at the Slaughter!!

16 hours ago, mrstimpson38 said:

Oh man... That Crossbow Brute is so good. Really love the way you did up the Staff on the Weirdnob, too. The eye glow is top notch.

Thanks bro! Glad you like 'em :D 

16 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

@Chris Tomlin Having loved the old Rugluds armoured orcs of old i would love your idea of crossbow brutes becoming a reality (hell I'd even take crossbow Ard boyz.)

I just wonder if it happened,  would you see your army including some for good measure or actually shifting to focus? 

I know the ironfist and brute horde is wonderful, but with  crossbow brutes I wonder if we would see a shift to wierdfist armies running shamans on balewind vortexes surrounded by Ard boys and backed up by crossbow brutes?

Yeh, I too am a fan of Rugluud's Armoured Orcs...I guess these are a modern homage if you like?

It's hard (but fun) to theorise how the army would go. If (and its a big if) we ever did get anything like that, I suspect it would be part of a wave of new models/units, so we'd probably have more to consider and discuss than just the Crossbows. I wouldn't want to army to turn into a gunline as there is enough of that. I'd still like combat punch, just with some manner of ranged support to round out a more well balanced army.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,
Chris

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Thanks man, I just think the Crossbow Brute works! A few people did comment to me at the Slaughter that whilst they liked the model, they didn't think an Ironjaw would wield a missile weapon. TBH I'm not sure we will ever see anything like this if it doesn't fit GW's fluff.

In principle I'm also sceptical with regards to an Ironjaw wielding a missile weapon. You brute looks fantastic, but it doesn't seem to fit the fluff very well. Ardboys with crossbows is something else entirely, however. They aren't proper Ironjawz, so they may not be too brutish to make use of missile weapons. Ironjawz, that smash their armor into shape with their fists, I have a hard time imagining doing that, but Ardboys not so much. In addition, the Ardboys are mentioned as being more regimented and disciplined than the Ironjawz in the battletome, which is another point that makes them more suitable for crossbows.

• Like 1

@Solaris - Yeh that seems to mirror what I've heard elsewhere. I guess my "problem" is that I'm not limiting myself to the GW fluff. I just want my army to be cool and themed in my own way. I create my own fluff by way of the battles on the table and how the characters come to life and tell their own stories...very rarely do I play someone who doesn't know of Megaboss Krunk and wants to kill him haha! He feels like a genuine character to me. Likewise, I still plan on adding more 40k elements to the army. I don't mind if they have some very basic/crude diesel powered contraptions, even if it perhaps doesn't match up to the fluff (although looking at some of those new Stormcast guns...).

Unfortunately I just haven't had the time or motivation to delve into the AoS fluff (other than the fantastic Flesh-eater Courts book). I guess I probably should at least read the Ironjawz book though haha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

[..................................]

My current thinking is to do a few of them as Spear Chukkas and paint up some Grot loaders to act as "crew". Just need to ascertain whether 40mm is a suitable base size.

[..................................]

It'd be sad if this was it for the Ironjawz, they're definitely popular enough for expansion and I don't really see them as pigeon-holed in any particular direction (other than being heavily armoured) - I imagine it's probably less that people don't think a Brute should wield a crossbow, more that they don't want them to (if they're being honest)! Can't blame them, Brutes are fearsome enough as it is...

Either way, I do think having access to different types of troops is pretty key for this kind of game, and ranged is obviously where we lack. You'd imagine GW can see that and would want to rectify it.

Your Spear Chukka idea sounds ace - looking forward to that. Also liked the idea of a Brute hunched over like a Gorilla on all fours, with a Doom Diver contraption strapped to his back - grots running around gearing it up.

Speaking of which, I've got some bits on the way to get that Ironblaster conversion lined up - will throw up some photos when it finally materialises.

• Like 2

Friday again! Wooo!

Well, I gotta say I'm feeling a little worse for wear today after one (or eight?) too many Battlebrews at club night last night...I blame @Paul Buckler for stocking a great beer fridge (don't worry, I'll chuck in more next week!)

But yeh, I have a few quick reports for you all today. Couple of replies first...

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, BrocknerTheBear said:

I definitely agree that Ard boyz makes more sense, but come on look at that brute Chris has made. How could you not want a unit of those!

I'm glad you agree @Chris Tomlin on the gun line idea. It's why I never got into orcs and goblins before. They need to be punching things in the face and maybe hurling or firing as they go. 

Yeh in 8th Edition O&G did become known as "Green Dwarfs" due to the preferred style of play, especially at a competitive/ETC level. I certainly wouldn't want us drifting anywhere near close to that, but a bit of ranged support would be nice.

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, Fungrim said:

It'd be sad if this was it for the Ironjawz, they're definitely popular enough for expansion and I don't really see them as pigeon-holed in any particular direction (other than being heavily armoured) - I imagine it's probably less that people don't think a Brute should wield a crossbow, more that they don't want them to (if they're being honest)! Can't blame them, Brutes are fearsome enough as it is...

Either way, I do think having access to different types of troops is pretty key for this kind of game, and ranged is obviously where we lack. You'd imagine GW can see that and would want to rectify it.

Your Spear Chukka idea sounds ace - looking forward to that. Also liked the idea of a Brute hunched over like a Gorilla on all fours, with a Doom Diver contraption strapped to his back - grots running around gearing it up.

Speaking of which, I've got some bits on the way to get that Ironblaster conversion lined up - will throw up some photos when it finally materialises.

I pretty much agree with all of that mate. I truly hope this isn't it and for the reasons you suggest I don't think it will be. There's so much they could do and you know it'd be awesome, GW are absolutely killing it for me at the moment. So so good!!

Right then, time for another rundown on some older reports.
As per 42-50 these will be just be very brief overviews to help catch us up. Enjoy!

The first 3 games were played during my recent trip to the US in January. I attended Waaagh! Paca and whilst I wasn't signed up for any AoS events I did manage to get in a few good games vs top guys I'd always wanted to play. I just took my list from the Masters for this one, which to refresh was;

• Krunk - Battlebrew
  • Cabbage - Talisman
  • Warchanter
  • Warchanter
  • 15 Megabrutes - General, Ravager
  • 5 Brutes
  • 10 Ardboys
  • 3 Gore-gruntas
  • Ironfist

Game 51 - vs @domus (Ironjawz)

After meeting the Ginger Buddha in 2014 and 2015, I knew I wanted to try a get a game in with him! He'd recently picked up Ironjawz and having not played a lot of AoS, we thought this could be a fun experience for him and perhaps he'd be able to pick up a trick or two on the way. His army looks fantastic already, check it out on Twitter if you haven't seen it (he should really post it here) and with a bit more work, which I think he may do for Adepticon, it will be something really special. Very unique.
Like me, his list selection was defined somewhat by what he had painted. He had gone with the big man himself, Gordrakk, backed up by all the usual characters and an Ironfist. I suggested we play Border War (GHOUL PATROL!) as I think it's the best way to showcase straight up General's Handbook AoS (which they don't seem to play a lot of out there).
As this was more of a learning game, there were plenty of conversations and suggestions taking place throughout, however it wasn't a tutorial or anything, Domus is a smart guy and was able to play a good game and make solid decisions. He actually had me in quite a bit of bother early doors, especially as my Warchanter buffed Gore-gruntas failed a very short charge onto his which were camping his objective turn 1.
It was a kinda odd game of Border War as we'd both left our "Home" objectives pretty open, instead sweeping to the flanks. Highlights included Megaboss Chump (he couldn't think of a name for his Megaboss, so I did the honours) taking down the mighty Krunk, which I was not best pleased at. He got a nice long charge with Gordrakk into the side of my Megabrutes, making it tough for them to bring to bear the full weight of their attacks. Regardless, they were still able to chop down the Fist of Gork, in part to good positioning of Gore-choppas in anticipation (VERY important with the larger units). But yeh, great fun game and most importantly Domus said it was useful to him which was the only real goal.

Result - Major Victory*

Game 52 vs Brad Schwandt @Rhellion (Sylvaneth)

Another top guy, I get on with Brad really well and hanging out with him as well as Domus was definitely a strong highlight of my weekend. Brad is very much in tune with the UK meta and competitive scene - he'd fit in perfectly over here. Plays hard, but fairly and with a smile on his face throughout. We decided we wanted a competitive game, however Brad was rocking a very fine tuned "Maxime" Destruction list. We both felt this probably wouldn't have made for the best of games (ie, would've likely been a walk in the park for him and over quickly), so he opted to use his Wife, Andrea's, Sylvaneth army. This was still an incredibly strong list, not far off what you'd expect to see over here, with the addition of Drycha and more Hunters over Durthu (I think).
We'd rolled up Take & Hold, probably my least favourite battleplan. In the centre of the board there was almost a valley made up of two very large blocky bits of terrain. Brad was able to place his free Wyldwood right down the centre of these, meaning the direct route to his objective was through them. I camped my objective with the Ardboys and Krunk, pushing the Megabrutes down the centre. The Cabbage went full aggro in order to pin the Scythe Hunters and stop them coming at the Brutes, which worked pretty well until eventually the Cabbage was cut down.
In the centre Drycha straddled the two sections of the Wyldwood. We had an interesting convo about whether this counted as cover. I gave it, but by the time she finally died we realised that whether it counted or not, as a Behemoth she was not eligible to claim the bonus!! Fail!
I can't remember specific details now, only to say that Brad dismantled my army with apparent ease, however it still took him some time to do so which meant he was unable to get around to threaten my objective. However....last turn he charged his Treelord off his objective to attack my unit of 5 Brutes which had made the journey around the side. After battleshock I was left with 2. I also had two left from the Megabrutes and a lone Gore-grunta - 5 models total!
I was able to get the required retreat/run rolls to pile those 5 models onto his objective, whilst still holding mine ftw!! This was pretty much daylight robbery on my part I'll admit, still I think I played well enough throughout and kept my eye on the prize so that when Brad dropped the ball for just a second I was able to sneak in a steal it.
I look forward to the inevitable rematch and crushing Brad will request the next time we meet! Fantastic, hard game though and a useful lesson in scenario play. Brad went on to win all his other games across the weekend, taking out 1st place in two one day events!! Congrats!

Result - Major Victory

Game 53 vs Johnny Hastings (Destruction)

It was great to finally get a game in vs Mr Pointhammered himself. Needless to say, when me and Johnny get together the drinks are gonna flow and this time was no different. Johnny is just getting into AoS properly, so much like the game with Domus we played Border War (GHOUL PATROL!) and had more of a chilled learning game, whilst both still trying to win of course! His army is hands down one of the technically best painted Warhammer armies I've ever seen and his sculpting/conversion work is second to none. It was great to face off against it on the table. His army was predominately Gutbusters, with a large block of Ironguts backed up by support characters and units. He also had an Ironblaster and a large unit of Mournfang (It's basically an 8th ed WFB Ogre Kingdoms army at present).
I actually can't really give you any details of this game as it was a while back and we were pretty drunk. I'm pretty sure it was still worthwhile for Johnny as he took plenty of notes (especially around the Hero phase) which I hope helped him out in future battles. I'm pretty sure he enjoyed the game and was even able to do a pretty unique "Take it off!!" after killing my cabbage by whipping out his purple headed monster and tapping it on my purple headed monster!! haha! :S 
He did learn that Ironblasters are rubbish and Ironguts are good...I showed him the worth of retreating by having my Megabrutes disengage from the Ironguts and onto his home objective ftw.

Result - Major Victory*

(*Please note I am only listing these results for a sake of completeness. Whilst both games were still competitive they did have a learning element to them and were not about the result.)

The next two games were doubles with my regular partner @Paddy O'Sullivan as practice for the Partners in Chaos event. The day before this was my Uncle's funeral, which wasn't great, I then went to a party in the evening and as a result of the bad day was on a bit of a self-destructive mission, so yeh pretty messy. So come Saturday morning, unsurprisingly I did not want to be playing Warhammer and had Paddy not driven to Dorset from London I most certainly would've stayed in bed!!
Unfortunately I don't actually remember these games whatsoever, I don't even know what I used! Suffice to say, we lost both!!

Game 54 - Doubles with @Paddy O'Sullivan vs @Paul Buckler and Rich Morley @Drakira (Destruction) - Loss
Game 55 - Doubles with @Paddy O'Sullivan vs Jan Poudley @Clankers86 and Matt Bennett (Chaos) - Loss

The next 3 games were at Partners of Chaos. A one day Doubles event run by my Age of Sigbrah co-hosts @Andy Talbot and @The Lost Lighthouse (Gary). It was a great day, I and Paddy had opted to run duplicate lists;

• Megaboss (Krunk for me, Kevin for Paddy!)
  • Warchanter
  • 10 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • 5 Brutes
  • Ironfist

Paddy was painting his army for the event so we kept the model count down and figured it may be fun to push that many Brutes around. Also our armies could operate individually. Before each game I'd devise a strategy which usually had us acting independently to score objectives etc. It worked well. I won't talk about the actual games at all, you can go listen to a short episode of The Black Sun Weekly for that;

But if you just want to know the results;

Game 56 - Partners in Chaos Round One vs @Rob Ellis and @Ian Gilmore (Order and Destruction) - Major Victory
Game 57 - Partners in Chaos Round Two vs  Wayne Holt and Rich Buckler (Chaos) - Major Victory
Game 58 - Partners in Chaos Round Three vs @Russ Veal and @Terry Pike (Chaos) - Major Loss

The last game was on Table One and I came so so close to pulling out the win for us, as it was we ended up dropping down to 5th place (out of 20 teams), which was disappointing. As you'll hear from the podcast, I was pretty happy with my play throughout. Was a fun day, I hope you check out the podcast and enjoy.

So that'll do for now. I do have another 8 games to report on, including 5 from the Sheffield Slaughter!

Anyway, have a great weekend, hope you all manage to get some Warhammer in!!

Chris

• Like 6

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, N_Watson said:

Glad that your keeping this thread going. Helping to keep me motivated/inspired through all the painting and play-testing. 

No worries mate, it's a slog at times I'll be honest! Thanks for your continued comments and support. Makes it feel worthwhile ya know!

Recording Age of Sigbrah tonight, I'll be discussing my games at Sheffield Slaughter on that. Will be released this Friday 10/03/17.

TBS Weekly comes out at 7pm GMT tonight as per usual, I'm on with @Forestreveries discussing the new SCGT rulespack/battleplans. I talk about them mostly from an Ironjawz point of view (and Aaron from a Sylvaneth pov), so it may be of interest to the readers here. There's also what can only be described as a bit of a rant about my dislike for the "General must be a Leader" rule!! Ha!

• Like 2