Lets Chat: Idoneth Deepkin

S133arcanite

34 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Hmm, the mask is similar. 

... But I agree. I still don't think she is and to be honest, there looks to be at least a couple of what looks like magic users. Pointy guy on the boat, and the octopus dude. It could well be Mistweaver is blind or something. The female hero character also has her eyes closed. 

Also, does it look like two kits for the boats? A more complete one that pointy guy is on, but also a broken version. That might just be the angles shown to be fair.

I've took some screen grabs:

[pictures]

You can see  the two different turtle configs - is it just a helmet change for the 'driver'? Still has  the masked drummer at the back.

Looks like a few unit or weapon options for the thralls and a few again for the eels/sharks. Looks properly like  a dual kit for the eel one and then the more heavy shark-esque creature is separate. 

The female hero looks like one kit, then  the male hero with the scythe, pointy aelf and octo-aelf. Add the narhwal pirate aelf and Mathlann aelf and that a lot of hero options that maybe Mistweaver just isn't needed? Equally, the heroes all seem to have a fish or something, Mistweaver doesn't. 

Some real gems in the designs aren't there?

• The cloak that is also a wave
  • The lantern hanging from head-stalk, like on actual planet earth deepsea fish
  • the gorgeous octopus sculpt
  • the dragon-unicorn horse mount for the hero (always worried these will look retarded but pulled it off)
  • The turtle kit (learned from the brilliant arachnarok model)
  • The floaty theme throughout
  • The little details e.g. fish and the patterns on clothes
  • The shields that look like clams/shells
  • The sharks and eel models look great

Only thing I'm not keen on is the greek stuff, but still great overall. (still not tempted to deviate from goblins though..)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Mistweaver also has those bits protruding from her arms which I just don't see with these aelves. 

Honestly, I just don't see the fit aside from the drummer on the turtle's mask. Not even the mist is aquatic compared to the motifs on all 6 or whatever heroes we see here. 

She has loads of stuff that just don't appear in the rest of the Deepkin we've seen. A bird skull, barbs, coins or coin-like things. Hair as well, though similar sculpting techniques are used on the tassels in the Deepkin. In turn she's lacking scalloped armour, fins or scales. Could be that she was simply designed before the visual identity of the new army was finalised but as is I don't think she fits very specifically.

Yep, it's all very subtle. It's the thralls themselves I think look least like they belong underwater. Even then though, pale skin, can't see (deep sea does that to creatures) and the odd cephalopod/blowfish on the base!

This feels like the most extensive new army release in a long time. Kharadron didn't feel like it had this much variety, at least in styles and diverse kits. Or maybe it's just me. 

Either way, I'm really digging this release. I haven't gone all in on a new army in a while, I might try for this one.

6 minutes ago, GammaMage said:

Not sure about the Saih, but I think the Tenebrael Shard is much more likely to be one of Malerion's guys (Shadowkin?)

Hope so, got to check out Deepkin rules if they have fun ways to play and I can build competitive force around big heroes then I might jump into them otherwise I will just wait out for Malerion's Aelves or Twins Aelves as I just started DoK army and 4 Aelves armies is too much (and I already have huge Sylvaneth force)

6 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

Hope so, got to check out Deepkin rules if they have fun ways to play and I can build competitive force around big heroes then I might jump into them otherwise I will just wait out for Malerion's Aelves or Twins Aelves as I just started DoK army and 4 Aelves armies is too much (and I already have huge Sylvaneth force)

Don't forget the potential of Slaanesh aligned elves too 

I really am liking this look and feel! I cannot wait to get my hands on the battletome and see these rules! I have a feeling they will be similar to DOK... meaning that a lot of neat tricks and tools with abilities to do additional mortal wounds.  They look incredibly fast, all the cavalry has amazing aesthetic and wonderfully designed armour. The foot soldiers/archers look incredibly nimble! All the heroes look amazing and really bring a great feel!

37 minutes ago, Durant said:

What I do not like and it looks not in the style is the sinken boat.

That might just be a scenery piece to go with them, not actual army unit. 

12 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

They mentioned at the panel that they have a "Tide" system, where the "magical tide" goes in and out and their power changes accordingly. 

16 minutes ago, DantePQ said:

It doesn't make any sens to have those, Slaasnesh love Elven/Eldar souls. Lorewise wouldn't make any sense. 

We can still have Chaos elves look-alike for Slaanesh and so "definitely not aelves !" :D 

Also with the Lore you can pratically make anything possible like: "Slaanesh has grown a disturbing love for aelfkind, constantly trying to prey on their souls and at the same time trying to corrupt these because aelves epitomize the perfection he tends to"...or something like that. I don't know, if it's well made it wouldn't bother me.

On Idoneth, I wonder what their playstyle will be. It seems they have access to a lot of ranged and fast units. Maybe more magic users than DoK and Sylvaneth? Also I suspect they will be more resilient (meaning save) than DoK because they seems to have more armor. Don't get me wrong DoK can be tanky (Hagg Nar, Allegeance) but they still got a poor save.

22 minutes ago, Requizen said:

That might just be a scenery piece to go with them, not actual army unit. 

They mentioned at the panel that they have a "Tide" system, where the "magical tide" goes in and out and their power changes accordingly. 

I thought I saw two boats as per my earlier post. This might just be GW kitbashing the boat which is supposed to be a scenery item like the Wyldwoods. Or it's a second item or dual kit?

The tide system sounds great. Could be a very tricky army to master and seems to have many options. To be fair, DoK are like that aren't they.

Excitement remains high!

I absolutely love what I've seen and don't remember ever being so excited by minis before (and I get quite excited by minis quite often). Disclaimer - I am an oceanographer, so predisposed to love aquatic themes. 

Question: do we have any guesses what their allies will be, other than DoK? I'm so keen to get started on my army, that for now I'll satisfy myself with painting allies. 

The Idoneth Deepkin might look really awesome when painted in dark mystical Colors of the deep sea. Like dark-grey with shining blue eyes and here and there venomous green lights or glowing Skin (of the octopus?)

GW is really creative with their models and factions I have to say!

I'm looking forward to using blue or green metallics for armour like the Mathlann character. The turtle looks exceptionally good to paint too.

Skin wise, the fact the thralls look different to the 'normal' aelves in interesting lore wise, which we still need to see more of don't we!

I gotta say, I am hyped up for the rules. I can imagine the eel riders being an optional battle line along with the foot soldiers, so that will be fun. I can also see potential for these deep sea elves with the bigger support units.

Also, even if there is an influx of sword weilding models I'm happy that not all the warriors are weilding harpoons, and there are some variety of weapons mixed in.  I can also imagine bit producers making some kind of eyeless helmets for these deep sea elves just to ensure the people who don't like them have options.

I wonder if the turtles will have a kharadon like transportation mechanism too in order to have a faster raiding force...

2 hours ago, DantePQ said:

DoK are awesome, as they are really hard to master...

You get a lusty laugh for that one, keep it up.

I really like the sinister tone and the greek influences, clearly one of the best aspects of the idoneth.

- The newt-blind footsoldiers are really cool looking.

- The Wave Cloak guy is so awesome, it's lewd.

- The Cthulhu Scriptor is sassy.

- Mannfred on his hippocampus is flamboyant.

I don't like the big monsters, though, which is always a bummer, since they are the reason why I prefer the Fantasy scenario over the Scifi scenario.

- The thought of them mimicking their swimming movement in the air....jesus....it was already stupid in cartoons.

- The eels look plain and boring.

- The Turtle looks okay, but the thought of it paddling through the air is killing the flavor all along.

It's a pitty, I wish they brought sea-monsters like the Kharibdyss and didn't pull the "They have magical magic that makes them move like under the sea" - subterfuge. It would make the range so desirable for me because of the over-all look, that I mentioned above.

Anyways! It's still a cool release and I am sure, if GW keeps it up, there's a chance that everyone of us can find his little army spot.

Thumbs up for this one.

I can't help but be somewhat disappointed. I know the whole "Lovecraftian Elves!" thing was more or a less a meme without any substance, but I'd have liked much more of an horrific, Captain Barbarosa-esq aesthetic to them. They look... alright, I suppose, but other than the sea creature focus I don't think there's much that really makes me go 'ooo ahhh' beyond Telics' armour and riding the waves. 

4 hours ago, BillyOcean said:

I absolutely love what I've seen and don't remember ever being so excited by minis before (and I get quite excited by minis quite often). Disclaimer - I am an oceanographer, so predisposed to love aquatic themes. 

Question: do we have any guesses what their allies will be, other than DoK? I'm so keen to get started on my army, that for now I'll satisfy myself with painting allies. 

I would assume they are more likely to have allies among the Dark Aelf factions than High. Teclis dropping them as failures probably puts them at odds. Maybe some high aelf factions but I would think, similarly to DoK, any aelves not super aligned with a leader already: scourge privateers, Serpentis etc. As Order, they will get Stormcast. They all do.

Really intrigued by the fact the female thrall at the front of the photo with windchime staff hero has what looks like a more mer-esque head. Very mtg merman.

Archived