Jervis Warhammer TV interview new army predicitons

So I don't know if anyone picked up on this little subtlety but during the interview with Jervis on Warhammer TV today he mentioned they "reviewed the Grand Alliance books and model ranges and picked the factions that Games Workshop would not be producing a battletome for soon, but that players would want to see."

It occurred to me that there are a few reasonably sizable allegiances that are popular but didn't get rules in the book. I ordered them in what I feel is mostly likely to lease likely below based on how often they appear in the tournament scene and on Warhammer TV

Nurgle

Deathrattle

Moonclan Grots

Daughters of Khaine

Gutbusters

Now we know that Nurgle is on the way but I think it would stand to reason that we may very well see some of these get their own battletomes in the coming year/s.

I am in the camp death is getting a new range over a deathrattle book since we have a start collecting box for it and releasing a ally deathrattle box does not speak to me as a new faction since GW tend to avoid doing that for faction releases. Of course I believe deathrattle will be a part of it but I think they are a small part in a bigger release since it's pretty odd to me that Death has not gotten a release since Flesh eater courts and the fact zombies haven't been reboxed yet. 

Greenskinz and Gitmob Grots were also left off from getting an allegiance ability, and for the most part, they are complete ranges, although they are low on the priority list to update in AOS. 

Greenskinz has a start collecting box, the Rogue Idol of Gork, and is pretty much a complete army. All they need is an update like their Bonesplittaz cousins. I doubt they'll get a battletome anytime soon, but who knows what happens in the next year or so. 

Gitmob Grots, on the other hand, I am fully expecting to become the new Goblin Sky Pirates. We've seen enough hints to know they are a thing, and what better way to revive the less-interesting Goblin faction than by refreshing the faction with a new concept like they did with Kharadron Overlords. Again, unsure if, or when, it might happen

10 hours ago, shinros said:

I am in the camp death is getting a new range over a deathrattle book since we have a start collecting box for it and releasing a ally deathrattle box does not speak to me as a new faction since GW tend to avoid doing that for faction releases. Of course I believe deathrattle will be a part of it but I think they are a small part in a bigger release since it's pretty odd to me that Death has not gotten a release since Flesh eater courts and the fact zombies haven't been reboxed yet. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the deathrattle would be tied in with some of the tomb king range.

Also I would guess that some sort of High elf variety will get something. They were one of the most popular fantasy battle armies and have quite good, if bit thematically inconsistent (and large fisted) range.

Gutbusters is a great candidate for a new release. Everything except their heroes are plastic. Still really solid models, loads of rules potential and a solid mix of troops.

Deathrattle seems to be more and more likely. Not garantueed, but likely

Nurgle feels like a given ATM.

Moonclan Grots suffer from a large finecast range. Not necessarily a huge deal, but with only 2 box sets and relatively limited variation it's not a given. Though both Beastclaw and Boneplitterz have similar issues.

More Ironjawz would definitely be cool.

I'd love to see a big Gore-Grunta Chariot, for example. But also something to make them more diverse in tactics.

...although with the allies thing they now at least can get some fire support and such things, which is a good start.

As for the rest:

Hoping for Deathrattle, and excited for Nurgle.

If they do release Deathrattle, then I really hope that they get some new and interesting Warscrolls, since they are a pretty limited army at present - like all of Death really. The 3 new Allegiance Packs hopefully give us something to cheer about.

Something for (old) High Elves. They have got literally nothing since AoS was released. Split into artificial, synergy-less subfactions, no releases, no Allegiance abilities...

Their old players need something. Come on GW, throw them a bone!

1 hour ago, Sheriff said:

What's actually in a battletome? What additional stuff would be in one for moonclan? Lore and allegiance abilities and formations? 

- Lore

- Allegiance abilities

- Command traits

- possibly spell lore

- Artefacts

- Battleplans for cool story battles

- all warscrolls, possibly updated

- new bataillon warscrolls

32 minutes ago, Lysandestolpe said:

yup.... They need a model here and a model there updates, something that makes the faction a little exciting.

I would really like to see some kind of Ironjawz unit with some ranged abilities.  How about like a Javelin thrower skirmisher squad?  Kind of like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltast or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velites

We already have bolt throwers in the form of Goblins, but javelin skirmishers are not something seen in Age of Sigmar outside of Skinks (or are they somewhere else as well?).

The previously mentioned Gore-grunta hero model would also be really cool as well! :)

4 hours ago, BunkhouseBuster said:

I would really like to see some kind of Ironjawz unit with some ranged abilities.  How about like a Javelin thrower skirmisher squad?  Kind of like these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peltast or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velites

We already have bolt throwers in the form of Goblins, but javelin skirmishers are not something seen in Age of Sigmar outside of Skinks (or are they somewhere else as well?).

The previously mentioned Gore-grunta hero model would also be really cool as well! :)

Stormcast Prosecutors, Marauder Horsemen are the two that I know of. 

I am surprised no one has mentioned Clans Verminous as "on their list". Hordes of Clanrats are at the core of the Skaven imagery, Verminous are essentially the "baseline" Skaven faction. Them not having received Allegiance in the new GHB, I would expect them to be reasonably close.

I am not sure what is in store for Nurgle. With Blightwar to tide them over and no other demons announced or teased in 40k, any Nurgle releases behind Deathguard might be much further of than most of us anticipated. Yes, Tzeentch demons and AoS mortals followed quickly after Thousand Sons, but the Deathguard Astartes lineup is shaping up to be far more extensive than the TS one (taking up far more "release space" by itself) and so far GW has never kept to any pattern in their Chaos monogod releases so far, so as logical as it might seem to be, there really is no basis to assume DG and Nurgle would be rolled out the way Tzeentch and TS where.

Similarly, I think a full "Shadow Aelves" release may be much further of than has been recently anticipated. There really are not a lot of rumor mill pictures left that point that way and the only reliable rumor we have on them is that a Warband for Shadespire is coming. So that is all I am expecting for now.

I am fully expecting Deathrattle to be the first full release (meaning a battletome and multiple week miniature release) for GA:Death, hopefully Q1 2018 at the latest.

Here is my reasoning as to why I think so:

-The entire currently sold range as relatively new and, barring Graveguard, works quite nicely on round bases. This means with one full release the faction could be brought up to a nice rounded army status.

-There are a lot of classic skeleton units suited very well for a AoS style reimagination (Screaming Skull Catapult, Bone Giant, Skeleton Chariot, Skeleton archer infantry and cavalry). All these units where part of the Tomb Kings army, but actually predate that army in warhammer. To be clear, I do not think these units to simply be redone (though I wouldn't mind that either), but new developements based on them, the way the Megaboss on Mawcrusher was based on classical Wyvern riding Waaghbosses.

-It would explain the removal of the Tomb Kings range (the basis of which where rather outdated skeleton units). I would propably allow old TK players to use most of their collection as rather clear cut "counts as". People who do not have a Tomb Kings army, but lament their removal, would get something of similar appeal to sink their teeth into.

- It provides a backbone to GA:Death players (no, I will not appologize for the pun) at the same time. In the lore so far, most mixed Death armies seem to be build on a base of Skeleton legions, a Deathrattle release could include some more general battleline units, giving GA:Death some much needed options there (particularly when those units are not massive melee regiments.

-You know, the Shadespire release. I think Sepulchral Guard may be a new name for Skeleton Warriors. Having the basic unit in a Skeleton army called Skeleton Warriors, is like calling the basic unit in Free Peoples called "Human Warriors", it just does not make sense with the way the factions are presented anymore.

Also, I really like Skeletons.

All in all, I think the only things we can absolutely expect to see till the end of the year is Warbands for Shadespire. Some of these Warbands will preview full forces, but we do not know how far those armies are predated by their Shadespire release, it might be by as much time as Silver Tower predated the Tzeentch release or Overkill predated Deathwatch and Genestealer Cults in 40k.

Nothing can be ruled out, Blightwar pretty much came out of nowhere, but I fear we have no base to expect any battletome + new minis release for the rest of the year.

9 hours ago, Lysandestolpe said:

yup.... They need a model here and a model there updates, something that makes the faction a little exciting.

Most of the new AoS armies could really benefit from a few small releases. Ironjawz could use a bit more variety, as you say. Fyreslayers really ought to have another actual unit. Sylvaneth probably deserve a hero who gives them another command ability (seeing as it's currently TLA or Alarielle's one use ability).

Stuff like this would be an excellent way to keep interest in old factions and AoS more generally in between larger releases - however at this point the emphasis seems to be on releasing a steady stream of new factions.

Based on the releases so far I wouldn't expect any new faction not named "Stormcast Eternals" to get model support after their initial release ;) (perhaps with exceptions for tie in games like Silver Tower and Shadespire). But hey, who knows - I could be wrong! xD

Archived