Poll: New Army? (End of Edition)

Gitzdee

New Army?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. New army?

• Yes
    • No

Time for another vote!

Does AoS need a new end of edition army or not. 

I vote No. I think Dawnbringers is really bringing the heat with all these awesome models. I could see maybe a 5th or even 6th book. I like how these older ranges are getting a mix of updated and new models. Really beautifull stuff with Ironjawz and FEC.

I would maybe like another army when the 4th edition dust has settled a bit and we start to explore the new setting, hopefully Chamon or Hysh. I hope it would be Glareface Frazzlegitz, but i would be ok with Chaos Stunties if it has to be that way.

Edited by Gitzdee
  • Like 1

For my part, the dream to seeing Malerion appear soon is grandiose.

Even if the existing factions need more miniatures I see keeping the format of an edition faction if only to at least gain Umbraneth, Kurnothi, Chorfs and news gitmob (snarlfangs estethic).

I think Warhammer also has the potential to unleash the previously mentioned factions alongside refreshing armies.

• Like 3

I voted "no". I don't see any narrative groundwork or marketing that would suggest another new army before the end of the edition. At least, that's what things look like right now. Maybe after FEC are out and the narrative of Dawnbringers VI is known, things will be different. However, if Skaven are indeed the 4th ed starter army, that should be a pretty big release, so I don't know if there is even room to fit another big model wave in between now and Summer next year.

Separately from that question, I think the order of likelyhood for new factions is like this:

• Chaos dwarves (have been mentioned in a lot of battletomes over the course of the edition, Horns of Hashut exist)
  • Destruction army (Drogrukhs? This is the Destruction edition, after all, and Kragnos is looking for them as part of the narrative of Dawnbringers)
  • Grungni dwarves (The return of Grombrindal and Grungni was a big plot point in Broken Realms, but so far nothing has come of it)
  • Malerion elves (Did you know that 99% of gamblers quit just before hitting the jackpot?)
  • Like 6

I'd love to see Chaos Dwarfs, but I don't think it will happen this edition. We seem to be getting towards the end of the post pandemic disruption to R&D, but it seems like they wouldn't have had time for another full army what with the general slowdowns and the few big things they have got out. I have plenty of projects on the go though, so that's no bad thing!

I'd also prefer more expansion of smaller ranges first. Fyreslayers in particular could do with what the orks and ghouls have just gotten! I'd also rather see some more monster girls for DOK, before a complete Dark elf army. It seems like we'll eventually get dark elves back as part of Old World, so why not do something more interesting for AoS. (That said i've never believed Malerion was just around the corner!)

• Like 2

As cool as it would be, I don't think we'll so Drogrukhs to run with Kragnos.  But we might see some sort of rule that works against Drogrukhs on some kinda named ancient foe of theirs, or perhaps in the next Stormcast book, like maybe Krondys/Karazai add 1 to wound rolls vs Kragnos (thought I remembered some rivalry between Dracothion and Kragnos from something).

I definitely expect Umbraneth within the next 18 months.  Can't see how they can keep going without them lore-wise.  Morathi and all her doings; Slaanesh should be found already or the new spawn thing can arise to become a new alluring whatevergod; Malerion&Co can show up to tamp down all that AND the Skaven's mischief in Ulgu.

Chorfs would be amazing but I just don't think they'll do it.  MAYBE they could feel it out with a Regiment of Renown with the Horns, Iron Golems, and a Chaos Cannon of some sort?  The Hellcannon remade in plastic would be awesome and I think sell very very well.  But Don't see it happening in real life.

• Thanks 1

I hope the story will revolve around Ulgu. I‘d like to see Malerion and Skaven next personally, although I feel equally bad for Chaos Beastmen. They did get some toys via Slaanesh and Tzeentch but that‘s not exactly a lot in the grand scheme of things. 

I however don‘t think there will be lots of completely new factions for AoS, we already got a lot…. Unless Kruelboyz sold extremely well. Then GW might see value in that. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, EccentricCircle said:

I'd love to see Chaos Dwarfs, but I don't think it will happen this edition. We seem to be getting towards the end of the post pandemic disruption to R&D, but it seems like they wouldn't have had time for another full army what with the general slowdowns and the few big things they have got out. I have plenty of projects on the go though, so that's no bad thing!

I'd also prefer more expansion of smaller ranges first. Fyreslayers in particular could do with what the orks and ghouls have just gotten! I'd also rather see some more monster girls for DOK, before a complete Dark elf army. It seems like we'll eventually get dark elves back as part of Old World, so why not do something more interesting for AoS. (That said i've never believed Malerion was just around the corner!)

Almost every AOS army can do with a second wave.

• Like 7

Had to vote no because I think with the focus right now is refreshes and getting factions up to date & speed with everyone else.

They could always surprise us however and I know I got bottles of hopium with labels ranging from Silent People to Grotbag Scuttlers. xD 

At realistic levels I can imagine another Ironjawz supplement but for a new sub-faction like Gholemkind under Kharadron/CoS or some such.

• Like 1

I voted yes, as I think they have to pull the pin on the factions they constantly tease.

I'd like a new army (Chaos Dwarfs) as they've been teased on and off for a while now. I won't collect them, but I want to seem them on the table. Ancient Middle-Eastern flavoured armies are few and far between. Hell, even such mundane magic as the flying carpet comes to mind as being absent. I reckon if they do Chorfs it'll be a bunch of multi-kit vehicle options, so Kit A will build a Hellcannon, Demon Tractor or whatever. Kit B, will build the magma bombard/some other things. Sort of like how the Mega Gargant kit builds five models, only with less obviousness about it.

Given that Skaven and Stormcast 1e are set for range refreshes with the upcoming edition launch, I'd hope that 4e focuses on getting the last few armies out with a sprinkling of refreshes.

Seraphon, Cities, Slaves, and others have all been revamped this edition, so I guess we'll see maybe one new army prior to edition launch, then see the remaining factions needing refreshing get refreshed, then we'll see another new army either towards the end of 4th, or at the end of 4th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taerg Ad Ywons said:

I voted yes, as I think they have to pull the pin on the factions they constantly tease.

I'd like a new army (Chaos Dwarfs) as they've been teased on and off for a while now. I won't collect them, but I want to seem them on the table. Ancient Middle-Eastern flavoured armies are few and far between. Hell, even such mundane magic as the flying carpet comes to mind as being absent. I reckon if they do Chorfs it'll be a bunch of multi-kit vehicle options, so Kit A will build a Hellcannon, Demon Tractor or whatever. Kit B, will build the magma bombard/some other things. Sort of like how the Mega Gargant kit builds five models, only with less obviousness about it.

Given that Skaven and Stormcast 1e are set for range refreshes with the upcoming edition launch, I'd hope that 4e focuses on getting the last few armies out with a sprinkling of refreshes.

Seraphon, Cities, Slaves, and others have all been revamped this edition, so I guess we'll see maybe one new army prior to edition launch, then see the remaining factions needing refreshing get refreshed, then we'll see another new army either towards the end of 4th, or at the end of 4th.

Doesnt Slaanesh borrow a lot from middle eastern history? I might be mistaken as its not my strongest subject. 

8 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Doesnt Slaanesh borrow a lot from middle eastern history? I might be mistaken as its not my strongest subject. 

I definitely get a 300 (the movie) anicent Persian vibe off of many of the newer Slaanesh models.  And some of the Tzeentch mortals lately are more east-Asian inspired (the Jade Obelisk warband comes to mind).  Seraphon are certainly meso-American inspired!

IMO Dawnbringers and FEC effectively are new armies, plus the Dawnbringers series is bringing significant mini updates to several existing factions.  There are new armies I would like to see - the shadow elves (possibly as an expansion to DoK), Kurnothi elves (possibly as an expansion to sylvaneth), chaos dwarves, etc, but at this point I'd rather they wait for the new edition rather than disrupting the momentum that the game finally has after feeling a bit stagnant through much of 3rd edition.

• Like 1

Voted no, but that's really because I don't like armies being released l;ess than 6 months from the end of an edition, it feels like a book this late always ends up in a bit of a wierd place.

On the other hand, there's plenty of new armies I'd like to see and I definitely think the game has the capacity for loads more armies if GW has the appetite for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sception said:

IMO Dawnbringers et FEC sont en fait de nouvelles armées, et la série Dawnbringers apporte des mini-mises à jour importantes à plusieurs factions existantes. Il y a de nouvelles armées que j'aimerais voir - les elfes de l'ombre (peut-être comme une extension de DoK), les elfes de Kurnothi (peut-être comme une extension de Sylvaneth), les nains du chaos, etc., mais à ce stade, je préfère qu'ils attendent le nouvelle édition plutôt que de perturber l'élan que le jeu a finalement pris après s'être senti un peu stagnant pendant une grande partie de la 3e édition.

Waiting the next edition for a new armie, that's it ?

17 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

Nah, as @Lord Krungharrsaid, it's more inspired by Persia and Arabia a little bit. That said, I do like the aesthetic, as the pleasure cult lore in WHFB was kinda fun- a little dark underbelly of High Elf culture.

I do agree with @Sception with Cities- the amount of kits replaced makes the army more uniform and less like the hodge podge of WHFB kits it was. Less a refresh and more 'Army as originally intended'.

I'd like to see an Ogors refresh, but that would entail around seven to nine kits: Splitting Gluttons, Leadbelchers, and Ironguts into separate kits (3). Add in a new butcher (4), as plastic terrain and the resin model is ugly. Gnoblars (5) need redoing as they are ancient and sold in boxes of 24, for a min unit of 20. Removing the last of the resin that's not Beastclaw is a firebelly (6), and Maneaters (7). The need a new, cheaper, and plastic Maneater kit. Something with Lumineth helmets, Fyreslayer crests, Kruleboy Face-Shield armour, etc. If they add in a new named character (seems like every faction is getting one), then that's Eight kits to refresh the line, Nine if you merge the old Hunter and Sabretooths into one kit (Warcry it maybe? One Hunter, 4-5 sabres.). That's a lot of plastic and a very, very, sorry wallet for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tonhel said:

I voted yes, Another Aelven faction that bring dragons back to Aelves, instead of those Stormcast the sole owner of dragons. Malerion and his Aelves would be cool (if there are dragons, otherwise he can stay away 😉 )

Cities Aelves have got dragons. At least for now.

• Like 1

New armies are fun, however, there are factions in the game right now who should not have to wait for a range refresh.

Ogors, Skaven, and Beastmen in particular comes to mind. Fyreslayers also deserve a proper wave of new minis to fully realise the faction.

Expand on other cities, build on the cosmopolitan and multi-racial/factional collaborations that makes CoS so interesting. Though this is probably a loooooong way ahead, if ever.

Then focus on new factions in whatever order. Chorfs, Shadow Elves, etc, etc.

• Like 3