AoS3 - Kruleboyz Discussion

Newtype_Zero

1 hour ago, Boggler said:

What could you possibly target that would make the Killbow worth more than 50 pts?

Here is the damage vs a Gargant. Who will obviously use AAD.

http://tools.druchii.net/graph.php?q=r:235:1:12:m000&s=

Here are the MW's

http://tools.druchii.net/graph.php?q=r:610:1:12:m000

So basicly either a ton of damage or much more likely none?

2 hours ago, Boggler said:

What could you possibly target that would make the Killbow worth more than 50 pts?

Here is the damage vs a Gargant. Who will obviously use AAD.

http://tools.druchii.net/graph.php?q=r:235:1:12:m000&s=

Here are the MW's

http://tools.druchii.net/graph.php?q=r:610:1:12:m000

The Killbow is sort of the anti-big equivalent of anti-horde weapons we have seen previously. It deals a bit more than a 3rd of a units wounds characteristic per hit, instead of wiping killing about a 3rd of a unit's models like anti-horde stuff does. Since they actually deal 1/3*wounds+2 damage on average, they will be a good deal more effective on single units with a low wounds characteristic: The higher the target's wound, the closer the damage is to 1/3*wounds, so a Mega-Gargant takes less damage relatively than a 5 wound wizard (although the bow is probably overall more useful against Gargants than 5 wound support heroes, which you can easily kill in other ways). At a wounds characeristic of 14, a successful hit will deal on average about 50% of that unit's life.

The big problem is that the Killbow will still have to get through saves a lot of the time. If you take 4 Killbows in your list, you have a scary ranged threat that the opponent definitely has to respect. Their range is good, their damage is high and their -2 rend make them hard to fully save stack against. The question is, how much is such a threat worth? I definitely think it's worth more than 200 points, but I don't know if it is worth more than the 450 points you need to pay for 30 Sentinels. So I would say if Killbows are in the 110 to 120 points range they could be viable. Particularly if they can be buffed with +1 to wound or a reroll.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The big problem is that the Killbow will still have to get through saves a lot of the time. If you take 4 Killbows in your list, you have a scary ranged threat that the opponent definitely has to respect. Their range is good, their damage is high and their -2 rend make them hard to fully save stack against. The question is, how much is such a threat worth? I definitely think it's worth more than 200 points, but I don't know if it is worth more than the 450 points you need to pay for 30 Sentinels. So I would say if Killbows are in the 110 to 120 points range they could be viable. Particularly if they can be buffed with +1 to wound or a reroll.

I agree with this. If the Killbow is between 100 - 120 points, I'll definitely be picking up a few for my Big Yellers list. Keep in mind, the bow hits on a 2+ with Aimed Shot and Yellers allows you to reroll a hit roll of 1 with a unit making a shooting attack. My only gripe with it is the max 27" range rather than a 30" range.

The fact that the killbow only has -2 rend really hurts it. Any big monster/hero you're going to want to bring down can easily negate that, and most likely will. So even if you get your hit and wound through on your single attack, chances are good it'll still do nothing. You really are just praying for a 6 to get those mortals.

Not to mention the fact that it's worthless against normal 1-2 wound units.

Edited by Mutton

9 hours ago, JanGret said:

So basicly either a ton of damage or much more likely none?

Yes. It is a 63% chance to do no damage vs the best possible target in the game. It is a 72% chance if it is the targets "best day ever".

I'm sorry. That is complete trash. Not even worth 100pts.

Sure. 17% chance to plunk off 12 MW's on a Gargant is great and all but seriously. Its just not reliable and as Mutton says. worthless against anything else.

From a narrative perspective these are great. The models are super cool and I can't wait to get at least one, and probably two.

46 minutes ago, Boggler said:

Yes. It is a 63% chance to do no damage vs the best possible target in the game. It is a 72% chance if it is the targets "best day ever".

I'm sorry. That is complete trash. Not even worth 100pts.

Sure. 17% chance to plunk off 12 MW's on a Gargant is great and all but seriously. Its just not reliable and as Mutton says. worthless against anything else.

From a narrative perspective these are great. The models are super cool and I can't wait to get at least one, and probably two.

So junk I can’t wait to buy multiples 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Fellman said:

From Gw new zeland
Under matchplay
Grand strategy
core batalions

image.png.e0ddef14d736a0fc115f2e8bbf87fca4.png

🤦🏻‍♂️I had hoped the core battalions for SoB were a one off cos of their unique army style. What’s the point of removing warscroll battalions to level the haves and have nots, just to reintroduce new faction specific battalions? 
I repeat……🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by GrimDork
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrimDork said:

🤦🏻‍♂️I had hoped the core battalions for SoB were a one off cos of their unique army style. What’s the point of removing warscroll battalions to level the haves and have nots, just to reintroduce new faction specific battalions? 
I repeat……🤦🏻‍♂️

I suppose because the abilities are the same for all of them.

• Like 1

Points for those that can't watch the videos are listed bellow, everything other than the Guttripaz, boltboyz and hobgrotz are single (can't be reinforced). Will do a write up of our allegiance and traits latter.

Spoiler

Guttripaz 180 (battleline)

Boltboyz 120 (battleline if Big Yellers sub)

Hobgrotz 80

Sloggoth 150

Breaka-boss 180

Boss on Gnashtoof 170

Boss with stab-grot 110

Boss on Vulcha 240

Swampcalla 105

Murknob 95

Snatchaboss 315

Gobsprakk 300 (unique)

Skumdrekk 320 (unique)

No other battleline option really sucks... If you want to choose 2/3 of our sub allegiances you have to keep at least 540 points for the Guttripaz. At least now that sub allegiance just give extra ability army wide its easier to just pick Big Yellers if you don't want to use 3 Guttripazs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spenson said:

Kruleboys have awesome models and seem ok on the table but probably not good enough to compete with the S tier armies.

They are absolutely not good enough for S tier. IJ look the best still and Bonesplitters seemed to have been heavily nerfed for some unknown reason. Big waaagh also nerfed but may still have play. It feels a bit like the GSG book. Lots of subfactions that don't really play well together but you can probably make a sort of ok goodstuff list.

Here is a warp up of our rules for those that prefer to read them rather than watch the videos.

Allegiance abilities

Spoiler

Kruleboyz Warclans (aka sub allegiances) - Sub factions now simply give a universal benefit for units with the sub allegiance keyword. No mandatory command trait or artifact anymore. We have 3 options:

- Grinning Blades: During first battle round, units with the keyword aren't visible to enemy units more than 12" of them.

- Big Yellers: Add 3" to the range of ranged weapons of orruk units with the keyword. In addition, on the first battle round each orruk unit can reroll one of th hit roll for shoots. (Also make Boltboys battleline).

- Skulbugz: Roll a dice when a enemy unit is picked to fight within 3" of units with the keyword. Add 2+ to the roll if its within 3" of a monster with the keyword. on a 6+ the unit gets -1 to hit in that phase.

Venom Encrusted Weapons

Hit rolls of 6 for Kruleboyz orruks deal mortal wounds equal to the weapon damage characteristics and the attack sequence ends. Don't apply to mounts unless noted otherwise on the warscroll.

Kruleboyz Waagh!

Once per battle in combat phase, when you pick a Kruleboyz general to fight you can use it. Pick up to 2 Kruleboyz units wholly within 18" of the general that have not fought in the phase yet. The general and the chosen units fight one after the other in the sequence you choose.

Dirty Tricks

Afters players receive their starting command point, but before the first turn begins we can pick one of the following abilities to use:

- Noisy Racket:  -1 to wound for enemy units on the first battle round.

- Lethal surprise: Roll 3 dices, for each +4 pick a different terrain feature or objective that is not wholly within enemy territory and secretly note them. First time a enemy unit finish a move within 1" of what you choose roll a d6 and on a 2+ that unit suffer D6 mortal wounds.

- Disappearing Act: Roll 3 dices, for each +4 pick a enemy unit on the battlefield that wasn't reinforced. Roll a dice for each unit you picked, if you roll over its wounds characteristic the opponent must take it from the battlefield and put on reserve. They must deploy it at the end of their first movement phase, more than 9" form enemy units and wholly within their territory. Can't be used if the battle plan has a "No reserves" rule.

- Covered in Mud: Roll 3 dices, for each +4 pick a friendly unit that isn't a hero or a monster. While those units are in cover they are not visible to enemy units.

Command Traits

Spoiler

Slippery Skumbag: This general can retreat and charge in the same turn.

Supa Sneaky: If this general is on the battlefield on the first battleround, before determining who has the first turn, you can pick a Kruleboyz unit and set up it again anywhere on the battlefield, more than 9" from opponent units.

Egomaniak: If this general is within 3" of another friendly unit, roll before allocating a wound or mortal wound and instead of making a ward roll, on a 4+ pick a friendly unit within 3" and that wound is allocated to that unit and cannot be negated.

Artefacts

Spoiler

Eye-bitter ash: Once per battle, start of combat, pick a enemy unit within 3" of the bearer and roll. 1-2 nothing happen. 3-4 gives -1 to hit for the rest of phase. 5-6 gives -1 to hit for the rest of the battle.

Mork's eye pebble: Once per battle, start enemy shooting, the bearer and friendly units wholly within 12" have a ward of 5+ until the end of the phase.

Beastkilla slop: Once per battle, start of combat, pick a enemy Monster within 3" of the bearer and roll. 1 nothing happens, 2-5 the monster suffer D6 mortal wounds. 6 the monster suffer 2D6 mortal wounds.

Spiker seed: Once per battle, when an enemy unit finish a charge within 6" of the bearer, roll a dice for each model in that unit. For each 5+ that unit suffer one mortal wound.

Spell Lore

Spoiler

Da Black Pit: Cast of 7, range of 12". Pick 1 enemy unit within range and visible. Roll a dice for each model in the unit. For each 6+ and rolls with values above the unit save characteristics cause the unit to suffer 1 mortal wound.

Choking Mist: Cast of 7, range of 24". Pick a point visible to the caster. Units within 6" of the point cannot run and get -1 attacks for melee weapons until your next hero phase.

Sneaky Miasma: Cast of 6, range of 18". Pick a Kruleboyz monster visible. It can make a normal move.

Nasty Hex: Cast of 7, range of 12". Pick a enemy unit visible, until the end of your turn it cannot make ward rolls.

Mount Traits (shared between warclans)

Spoiler

Tough up: Monster only. Use the top roll of its damage table as long as it has less wounds allocated to it than half its wounds characteristics.

Fast up: Once per battle, can make a normal move on your hero phase.

Mean un: Monster only. Deals D6 mortals with the Stomp monstrous rampage.

Loud un: Monster only. Can pick all enemy units within 3" of it when its use the Roar monstrous rampage.

Weird un: Gains a ward of 4+ against mortal wounds of spells and endless spells.

Smelly un: If it didn't made a charge this turn, -1 to hit for melee weapons against it.

• Like 2

Looks pretty good so far for the Kruleboyz, points all seem reasonable and a lot of synergy and strong tactics. 

My only gripe is there feel like a lack of options because there isn’t many battleline or standard units to play with and Boltboyz seems like the most spam unit in Kruleboyz list given that they get furtherbufff by the swamp monster