Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

13 hours ago, Doko said:

Btw i dont know if any is wrong with the mold,or bad design.

But in the bloodk nigth kit that i got,the captain wings in the neck of the body bit,both wings are white(plastic stress) and one is close to broken and bent.

I spoke with friends and all got 100% the same problem,and in youtuve i have seen 2 unboxings and both have the same problem

Two sets, in both those parts are OK, tough one base was damaged. Perhaps kit is vulnerable to bad transport as it's pretty tight packaging.

Yeah, I'd just use the WHU models as generic Vampires.

One more thought concerning the damaged Blood Knights: it could be because of the bases. Usually I get bases packed in a seperate bag, probably so they don't move through the box at random. They came loose in the BK box. So together with the fragile bits on the sprues I think that during transport the potential for damage is significant.

9 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Yeah, I'd just use the WHU models as generic Vampires.

One more thought concerning the damaged Blood Knights: it could be because of the bases. Usually I get bases packed in a seperate bag, probably so they don't move through the box at random. They came loose in the BK box. So together with the fragile bits on the sprues I think that during transport the potential for damage is significant.

That could be it actually...I wonder, perhaps there's a higher chance to have damaged sprues if you get your items delivered than if you pick them up from a FLGS or GW? Less time spent in trucks/vans/being handled should mean lower chances of damage. 

On a completely different note: Should we be still using this thread seeing as it's after the release? Not that there's an issue with it, but shouldn't a news, rumours and speculation thread be reserved for convos about the next vampire wave or our next book or SBGL in AoS 3.0 that kind of stuff? 
I'm assuming if we want a "Random All things SBGL"  thread we could just make one, or rename this one and make a new rumours thread? 

Just a thought, in the interest of keeping things nicely categorised. 

First battle with Kalestai Legion:

Leaders:

-VLoZD: 435p. General. CT: Rousing Commander. Artefact: Fragment of the Keep. Mage: Pinions.

-Vhordrai 455p. Amarantine Orb.

-Vampire Lord 140p. Amarantine Orb.

Batteline:

-10 Dire Wolves. 135p.

-30 Deathrale Squeletons. 255p.

-5 Blood Knights. 195p.

-5 Blood Knights. 195p

Others: 

-3 Vhargeists. 155p.

VS

Allegiance: Khorne
- Slaughterhost: The Goretide

Leaders
Archaon the Everchosen (800)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Hew the Foe
- Artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Blood Sacrifice
Bloodsecrator (120)

Battleline
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes
5 x Blood Warriors (100)
- Goreaxes

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (140)

Behemoths
Soul Grinder (210)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Hexgorger Skulls (40)
Wrath-Axe (60)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Mission: similar to startrike. The only difference is that the three objectives apperas in the beginnings of the second round and every line is split in 12 parts (you throw 2d6 for determine in wich point appear each objective).

Summary:

Deployment:

Skull altar near to the middle of the map. Tombs in the extremes of the map.

30 squeletons and the vampire lord in the left extreme of the map. In front of theirs, to 24" 20 bloodreavers, 5 blood warriors and the bloodsecrator.

On the right extreme 10 Dire Wolves, to 24" of 5 blood warriors and 5 wrathmongers.

In the middel of the map, in the end of my border my two dragons. A 12" of the middel of the center of the map, 10 bloodletters,  soul grinder, Archaon and both slaughterpriest.

Round 1:

I gave the first turn to my enemy:

Turn 1 Khorne:

He falls the preys (he couldn't receive the help of the skull altar), advance to the front with all his minis. Shoots of the Soul Grinder killd two Dire Wolves.

Turn 1 Soulblight:

I revived one Dire Wolve. Vhordrai receives his main spell on hinself. VLoZD use pinions on hinself. Dire Wolves go and charge to the Soul Grinder, my two dragons run to the right behind the wolves and in a long distance to Archaon.

6 Wounds to Soul Grinder (i attactk with 7 dire wolves). Soul Grinder kills two wolves and remain one wolf with 1 wound (7 wolfs).

Round 2 0-0:

One artefact appear behind my skeletons amb vampire lord. The others two artefacts appears on in the middle and the other near behind the center on the enemy territory. The good new was that the artefact witthin both territories was in a scenary piece with 3" of height and a big church.

Unfortinately i Win the priority and began this round.

The Soul Grinder, Archaon, 10 Bloodletters and both Slaughterpriest have two objectives. In order to win i needed that my enemy did a lot of erros.

Turn 2 Soulblight.

Vhordrai received his own spell-

I move my skeletons and VLoZD around the objective on my territory. Both Dragons shooted Soul Grinder and did 6 damage (Soul Grinder remained with 4 wounds). I thought that due to the sceneography and the wolves would be impossible the charge of Archaon.

I deployed the vargheist in the vertix near the bloodreavers, blood warriors and bloodsecrator (my idea was that my enemie commit the error to go vs the vargheists instead of go to the skeletons to conquer my objective (it wouldn't have been a problem because i think that these units aren't enough hammer to kill my 30 squeletons).

5 blood knights in the other vertix near the wrathmongers and blood warriors, 5 blood knights more 6" to one border of the middle of the map and 9" to the wrathmongers.

I charged with my new 3 units, only the 5 blood knights of the border managed to load the enemies well.

3 wrathmongers and 2 blood warriors were killed and 2 Blood Knights.

Only 5 Dire wolves and Soul Grinder with two wounds.

I earned 2 points.

Turn 2 Khorne:

He sent his bloodreavers and bloodsecratos to kill my Vargheists. 12 bloodsecrators would die and only one Vargheists woud receive 3 wounds. The other 5 blood warrios ran to the center of the map.

He summoned the skulls and the axe. Only 1 wound to Vhordrai.

Unfortinately with the shoots of Archaon and Soul Grinder kills 3 dire wolves gaining the just enough space for the base of Archaon. This god move and charge to my VLoZD, i thought that my dragon would survive and in the next turn with the CA of Vhordrai more the charge of this prince and the activation of Rousing commander Archaon would die. Nothing of this happened, Archaon kills the VLoZD in this combat phase (two 6 with "the slayer of kings").

The vampires locked in combat didn't do nothing. His wrathmongers and blood warriors kill 2 blood knights more.

He earned 4 points.

Round 3 2-4:

I began again.

Turn 3 Soulbight:

I spent one command point and run 6" with the squeletons to the center of the map, they arrived without problems followed by the vampire lord.

I revived other dire wolve. After this, i ran with the princess to the left of the squeletons (due to the fear caused by Archaon).

I charghe with the o other blood knigts, the general of the other unit used "Riders of Ruind" without did mortal wounds so as to conquer the objectve in the territory of the enemy (that was without protection and near to Archaon). Wrathmongers and Blood Warriors were killed with the blood knights. +2 to run and charge and +1 to wound forever.

Only remains two Vargheists but they killed the last 8 Bloodreavers. +2 to run and charge forever.

Soul Grinder with one wound and one dire wolve.

I earned 6 points. Total of 8.

Turn 3 Khorne:

With preys and the axe killed 5 squeletons and in the shoot phase kill the dire wolve. He sent Archaon to kill my blood knights (to defend the objective of his terroty because one blood knight was to near). Due to the huge basis he got to lock the two units of blood knights. Extraordinarilly, he only killed 3 blood knights of the unit of 5 and received 6 wounds (my vampires fought first) and +2+3 -1 and 1 damage with lucki caused 6 wounds to archaon). The lonely blood knight keept wihouth wounds.

His 5 blood warriors and bloodsecrator advance to the center of the map.

Soul Grinder killed in the combat phase 5 squeletons, two revived and killed the soul grinder. Remains 22 squeletons on the battle.

He only earned 3 points. Total of 7.

Round 4 8-7:

I began again!

Turn 4 Soulblight.

Without using spells (the -1 fo the altar and the -2 of the skulls more the likely of receive mortal wounds due to the use of spells were too dangerous).

25 squeletons again!.

Blood knights retreated and conquered the thirst objective.

Vhordrai charge and killed 5 blood warriors and 10 demons. +2 to run and charge forever.

I earned 12 points. Total of 20.

Turn 4 Khorne:

He killed two squeleton with the axe, and all the blood knigts with the preys and shoots of Archaon. he recovered his objective.

Also his priests summoned one Bloodthirster of Fury to 12" of the skull altar and with the charge phase (repeating the charge phase with one CP) conquer the objective of my territory (was undefensed) and attacked my squeletons, this was his other big mistake of my enemy, he killed 8 squeletons and 4 was revived so that i recovered the objective of my territory (i revived in a line with a distance of 1" bettween squeletons).

He use a extra move with Archaon and charged my princess with exit, he killed Vhordrai in one combat phase (whithout the necessity of "the slayer of kings").

He only earned 4 points due to the big error of use his demon to fought my squeletons.

Round 5 20-11:

He earned the double turn:

Turn 5 Khorne:

As a summary with Archaon destroyed in one combat phase all my squeletons. And the vampire lord.

He earned 10 points. Total of 21 (after the cluster of the bloodlirsther was too long of the objective in my territory).

Turn 5 Soulblight:

I run with the Vargheists, 12"+2"+5"=19" and i conquered the objective of his territory.

Final: 30-21.

Conclussions:

I won only fo the big quantitie of errors of my opponent.

Bad lucky with my dragons or they aren't enough goods...

The mobility of the Dire Wolves, Vargheists and Blood Knights is really good. 

Archaon is really hard to killd and our mages aren't to good for try to use the spells in a map with the khorne skulls or others good mages.

I'm pretty worried about AOS 3.0 is the map would be more littel may be the deploiments to 9" of the enemy could be hard and we need this mobility

image.png

Edited by Sartxac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Deep strike vampire for "My Legions I Summon Thee":

• Martial Vamp base: 5 DP
  • Crypt Shield: 1 DP
  • 3+ save: 4 DP (Can you go up to 2+ actually?)
  • Bat Wings/Curse of Midnight: 4 DP
  • Descent from Upon High (what is this spelling, by the way?) 2 DP

16 DP, 4 left over for whatever.

Hi, I've been away from AoS since the completion of the Season of War campaign, but I had been playing Warcry with a warband inspired by that official event.  With the announcement of the upcoming edition's Path to Glory rules, this White Dwarf's custom undead character creation rules and Neil'r'thur'hotep's posts, it was exactly the nudge I needed to return to AoS.

Taking that queue to spend the leftover points for whatever, I'm just taking the next step to make Lord Vampiragorn Who Won't Release the Army of the Dead (name inspired by that scene in Return of the King, I gotta think of a better name):

• Martial Vampire Lord w/ My Legion, I Summon Thee: 5 DP
  • Ancient Greatsword*: 2 DP
  • 3+ Save: 2+2 DP
  • Curse of Midnight: 4 DP
  • Descent from Upon High**: 2 DP
  • Blood Retinue: 3 DP
  • Total: 20 DP

The only real addition is the Blood Retinue Ability.  It allows the character to get Look Out Sir from a unit of Graveguard, which we were teleporting in anyway, now they serve doubly as ablative Wounds.  This is actually pretty thematic, where Graveguards actually acting as a bodyguard for their Vampire Lord.

* I wanted to keep a Shield, but Rules-As-Written has to pay for at least 1 weapon to go with it.  I was hitting the cap with my preferred setup of Cursed Rapier + Crypt Shield that would have put me 1 DP over the Champion limit of 20 DP.

** I think you're right, I think it's supposed to be Up On High.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sete said:

Would I be shunned if I used fenrisian wolves instead of undead ones? 

Fits my Vampire Lord Headcannon better.

Also we need a new Grave Guard kit.

Probably do the same. There's just something about the new dire wolves that doesnt sit right with me. I cant even pinpoint it.

I want to run lots of spooky critters in a Vyrkos list. Dires, fell bats, and all in the hopes that a 2nd wave, box set, or something brings Vyrkos Bloodborn as an actual kit. It still baffles me they weren't made. Maybe even a vargskyr kit as a cherry on top. 

It really sucks as I sold 12 of them right before as I ignorantly assumed I'd like the new dires. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

I wonder if Radukar and his court would be decent allies for other Death armies?

Unless there's a rule I don't know about, it goes over the ally points limit and "only 1/4 units" restriction for most armies.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KriticalKhan said:

Unless there's a rule I don't know about, it goes over the ally points limit and "only 1/4 units" restriction for most armies.

How so? You don't count the points cost of his wolves.

You can bring 400 points of Allies in a 2000 point game. Radukar is fair game.

4 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

Radukar the Beast would be fine, yes. But the original post was referring to Radukar the Wolf and his court, all of whom have to be taken together for 700 points (aka the cursed city bundle).

5 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

I think he's talking about Radukar the Wolf, not Radukar the Beast. The Beast is obviously fine, but the Wolf is stuck with his buddies in that 750 points bundle.

so i runtested my double vengorian+volga kastelai list a couple of times but i feel like i miss some serious punch except for the souped up bloodknights, so i decided i will try the following list:

KASTELAI DYNASTY
Vengorian Lord 280pts (warlord, rousing commander, fragment of the keep, amaranthine orb)
Prince Vhordrai 455 pts (amethistyne pinions)

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

6x Vargheists 310pts

10x Direwolves 135pts

Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Tot 2000pts

so very a fast and punchy army. Vhordrai and the Vengorian lord will be best buddies, Prince V benefitting from rousing commander, fragment of the keep and nightmare miasma to be even nastier, if prince v spell fails, the Vengorian lord one is kinda of a small substitute that can still be nice and Prince V command ability could have some seriously worse targets than a souped up Vengorian lord. The bloodknights follow the same line of thought, the wolves are screens and objs holders, the vargheists will probably deepstrike when necessary to wreck some faces.
I don't need to tell you how good the shackles are to bog down half the enemy army if casted just right.
Opinions?

Edited by Raptor_Jesues
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

Take photos. E-Mail GW and you‘ll receive a new box without any issues.

Yeah they are good at that from what I hear. Tough that was from 3rd party.

Anyway glue fixed that issue so I am fine.

1 hour ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

so i runtested my double vengorian+volga kastelai list a couple of times but i feel like i miss some serious punch except for the souped up bloodknights, so i decided i will try the following list:

KASTELAI DYNASTY
Vengorian Lord 280pts (warlord, rousing commander, fragment of the keep, amaranthine orb)

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

6x Vargheists 310pts

10x Direwolves 135pts

Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Tot 2000pts

so very a fast and punchy army. Vhordrai and the Vengorian lord will be best buddies, Prince V benefitting from rousing commander, fragment of the keep and nightmare miasma to be even nastier, if prince v spell fails, the Vengorian lord one is kinda of a small substitute that can still be nice and Prince V command ability could have some seriously worse targets than a souped up Vengorian lord. The bloodknights follow the same line of thought, the wolves are screens and objs holders, the vargheists will probably deepstrike when necessary to wreck some faces.
I don't need to tell you how good the shackles are to bog down half the enemy army if casted just right.
Opinions?

Why not go for 2 Zombie Dragons? I decided to go for VLoZD and Vhordrai instead of Vengorian. Here is where I’m at 

Vhordrai

VLoZD

Reikenor + Chronomatig Coggs

3x 5 BKs

2x 10 wolves 

with Reikenor you can pretty much charge them all in turn 1. With Vhordraid Command Ability the VLoZD can attack in Herophase. So you can get your Kastelei Buffs pretty fast.

Wolves go for objectives. That’s what I want to try. In theory it seems very Good, but have to see how it works out.

and always try to charge with BKs a Hero/Monster or A unit with 3+ Wounds.

With Dragons try to go for Hero’s.

if you manage to get your cogs down,(4+ with reikenor)both of your dragons have 16inch move and +2 charge you could even expand this with 6 inch spell. 

your BKS can teleport and need a 7 inch charge.(I would reserve the first Command point for reroll charge to expand the chances)

or in games where you deploy 18 inch away from enemy you could easily deploy them normally because they get a 12 inch move, +2 charge.

Edited by Erdemo86

2 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

KASTELAI DYNASTY

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

6x Vargheists 310pts

10x Direwolves 135pts

Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Tot 2000pts

Opinions?

Looks fun, just don't forget that you lose the Rousing Commander at the end of the phase, so unless you kill a hero the Vengo Lord will lose the extra damage in the following Hero phase when attacking under Vhordrai's CA.

2 hours ago, Erdemo86 said:

Why not go for 2 Zombie Dragons? I decided to go for VLoZD and Vhordrai instead of Vengorian. Here is where I’m at because
1) the vengorian lord costs less and its abilities help both vhordrai and the BKs quite a bit while the VLoZD is mostly another hammer

2) i only have one dragon 

your BKS can teleport and need a 7 inch charge.(I would reserve the first Command point for reroll charge to expand the chances) true, that is a good combo

1 hour ago, Liquidsteel said:

Looks fun, just don't forget that you lose the Rousing Commander at the end of the phase, so unless you kill a hero the Vengo Lord will lose the extra damage in the following Hero phase when attacking under Vhordrai's CA.

yes, that is true but i should be able to get off its spell unless some real wizard fuckery is going on (wich it probably will)

Edited by Raptor_Jesues

Warscroll builder has updated. Here's a Vyrkos list I made that gets to exactly 2000 points:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
- Lore of the Vampires: Amethystine Pinions
Radukar the Beast (315)
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Sangsyron
Necromancer (125)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (255)
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)

Units
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 140

General game plan:

VLoZD captures and charges stuff.

Radukar mostly tries to support the Grave Guard with his Direwolf screen and extra attacks buff. Shield Grave Guard because in Vyrkos their damage is good enough, and they really need that 4+ save.

Skeletons get permanent support from the Necromancer. They are kind of an anvil. Together with Radukar, they can actually do a passable hammer and anvil maneuver. If they trap something in combat and Radukar charges in and buffs them, you are looking at about 24 damage against 4+ if you can get 20 skeletons into combat with Vanhels. Not something to rely on, but you'll probably get to do it occasionally.

Belladamma goes where she is needed and supports. She can give a damage buff or give Direwolves that good 6" pile in to be even more annoying (pseudo run and charge).

Zombies exactly fit into the left over points. 20 more bodies to sit on a home objective or annoy the oppnent in the mid field. Or sit in a grave and threaten objectives. Or screen for the Grave Guard. Might replace them with 10 more skeletons and an endless spell or triumph bid.

11 hours ago, Raptor_Jesues said:

KASTELAI DYNASTY

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

5x Bloodknights 195pts

6x Vargheists 310pts

10x Direwolves 135pts

Soulsnare Shackles 40pts

Tot 2000pts

Opinions?

Honestly I'd drop Soulsnare Shackles and get the triumph. At 1960 points you will likely get the triumph almost every time. You have two spell casters. Prince Vhordrai is always going to be casting his warscroll spell or pinions and the Vengorian Lords warscroll spell is decent, but fishing for the double cast of amaranthine orb is good. So at almost no point would I even consider casting Soulsnare Shackles. But any of the triumphs would be fantastic on Blood Knights or your Heroes.

I've got one Kastelai list I will run in a tournament in June and I've spent only a small amount of time list building other lists. I just don't really want to see what 3.0 is going to do with the meta and core rules. If charge reactions are actually a thing, then getting extra pile in distance could be huge.

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Warscroll builder has updated. Here's a Vyrkos list I made that gets to exactly 2000 points:

Reveal hidden contents

Allegiance: Soulblight Gravelords
- Lineage: Vyrkos Dynasty

Leaders
Belladamma Volga, First of the Vyrkos (200)
Radukar the Beast (315)
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (435)
- General
- Deathlance
- Command Trait: Hunter's Snare
- Artefact: Sangsyron
Necromancer (125)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread

Battleline
10 x Dire Wolves (135)
30 x Deathrattle Skeletons (255)
20 x Deadwalker Zombies (115)

Units
30 x Grave Guard (420)
- Wight Blades & Crypt Shields

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 140

General game plan:

VLoZD captures and charges stuff.

Radukar mostly tries to support the Grave Guard with his Direwolf screen and extra attacks buff. Shield Grave Guard because in Vyrkos their damage is good enough, and they really need that 4+ save.

Skeletons get permanent support from the Necromancer. They are kind of an anvil. Together with Radukar, they can actually do a passable hammer and anvil maneuver. If they trap something in combat and Radukar charges in and buffs them, you are looking at about 24 damage against 4+ if you can get 20 skeletons into combat with Vanhels. Not something to rely on, but you'll probably get to do it occasionally.

Belladamma goes where she is needed and supports. She can give a damage buff or give Direwolves that good 6" pile in to be even more annoying (pseudo run and charge).

Zombies exactly fit into the left over points. 20 more bodies to sit on a home objective or annoy the oppnent in the mid field. Or sit in a grave and threaten objectives. Or screen for the Grave Guard. Might replace them with 10 more skeletons and an endless spell or triumph bid.

I like it.

I think Vyrkos will likely be the most competitive of the Bloodlines / Dynasties. I've spent a little time coming up with a list that works on an initial Alpha strike having Grave Guard with great weapons pop up out of the grave, a unit of Varghiests deep strike all supported by Belladamma and her exploding 6's to hit. She casts COGs and also have a Vengorian Lord charge up with Driven by Deathstentch Command Trait to give an aura of re-roll charges. That is the initial strike and then supported by a unit or two of Blood Knights to be the second wave of attacks. Some dire wolves to screen or grab objectives.

• Like 1