Future of AoS Application

Sleboda

16 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

As long as the AoS Subscription isn‘t 3,99 GBP as well...

I honestly was surprised by the price in a negative way. Converted to Euros the App would cost as much as Disney+ which seems utterly excessive to me.

It’s cute you think they’d use actual conversion rates, and not the ones they use for product.

12 hours ago, Fairbanks said:

It’s cute you think they’d use actual conversion rates, and not the ones they use for product.

Yes, I just had to convert it somehow.

as usual the gw price is made as follows:

the price you feels it‘s worth * 2 and then add another 50%

40k app ~

felt worth is 1,99 

4 Gbp after doubling, and 50% added = 6gbp

works always.

I never, ever, EVER want them to take the subscription service route for AoS. The market is already bursting with subscriptions. These kinds of things (especially what they're doing with 40k) are designed by companies to leech money off of people who wouldn't normally be spending it---to convince them that spending more on a better deal is worthwhile. AoS is also the better game for introducing new people to the hobby, but those people are going to be less inclined to hop in once you tell them about more bunk subscription services.

Call me crazy, but I think it's shocking they charge us money to use Azyr as it is. Look at Corvus Belli. They provide the apps, army building, AND all of the rules for FREE, and they're financial ants compared to Games Workshop. GW is a massive, inconceivably wealthy company that really doesn't need to nickel and dime us for every service or piece of content. Already we're all paying for yearly book updates, battletomes with army rules, the Azyr app, additional rule supplements, and then also miniatures, paints, brushes, and everything else.

I.e., say "no" to subscriptions.

• Like 4

On 7/10/2020 at 3:10 PM, Bayul said:

it's time to buy some GAW stock.

You missed your chance.  When Kirby was running it into the ground it was dying and then it just went up and up and up and up and up constantly.  Even during the lockdown it went up after they reopened.  They pulled an Apple.  AFAIK the company is the second biggest UK one?

On 7/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, Bayul said:

Wow, £3.99 is premium segment for an app... it's time to buy some GAW stock.

Yes. It went up another $3 today to $104.35. It's more than doubled in under a year. 

They are doing very, very well.

I bought at $40 and now the returns pretty much pay for my hobby. I really suggest watching their price. If it dips again, buy, buy, buy! People have predicted the Doom of the Eldar, er, I mean GW, for decades, but they are still there, getting stronger all the time.

Edited by Sleboda

1 hour ago, Mutton said:

Call me crazy, but I think it's shocking they charge us money to use Azyr as it is. Look at Corvus Belli. They provide the apps, army building, AND all of the rules for FREE, and they're financial ants compared to Games Workshop.

You do see the unintended point there, right?

• Haha 2

I really want to believe that an AoS app could be great, especially if they give us access to ALL of the PDF versions of physical books, including stuff like Wrath of the Everchosen. It makes no sense to me in 2020 that I'd have to buy a PDF version separately from the book, especially paying $40+ for the physical copy. Hell, I'd be happy with just the digital version of the non-lore stuff being included, so they can update it with errata and corrections as need be, but I still get my pretty art and stories up front.

But then again, Azyr forgets that I'm subscribed every time they push an update on iOS, and I lose any lists I've created in the previous version. It's been like that for over a year, which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that area. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Euphanism said:

But then again, Azyr forgets that I'm subscribed every time they push an update on iOS, and I lose any lists I've created in the previous version. It's been like that for over a year, which doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that area. 

Ouch.

Yeah.

Wow.

I'll be skipping the 40K app until they prove competence.

Thanks for the story.

9 hours ago, Popisdead said:

AFAIK the company is the second biggest UK one?

No, they are far away from the top. Market capitalization of GeeDubs is around 3.5bln pounds, while even the tenth placed company has 20times as much.

Still the market cap of GW jumped from 2016 at around 150mio to 3.5bln today, which is huge. :)

I payed azyr since the month 1, but azyr is a cofee at month.

The 40k app isn't.

I'm going to use online free tools or manual writhing, like always. I pay my books, i dont want pay 5€ per month, for a bit more i have netfix or similar tv streams. I can pay 2€, maybie 2,5€.

But 4-5 no thanks xD, i prefer use this money buying paints xD.

Anyway, i have the sensation about AOS beign a secondary game on the company, azyr app updated today, im paying for it....  Dunno, GW is doing bad ultimately.

Edited by Iradekhorne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Craze said:

No, they are far away from the top. Market capitalization of GeeDubs is around 3.5bln pounds, while even the tenth placed company has 20times as much.

Still the market cap of GW jumped from 2016 at around 150mio to 3.5bln today, which is huge. :)

Ah okay.  Still,.. they are doing really well.  They could toss a little more into a better app.

It's strange how bad it is really. I subscribe on both iOS and android but don't mind because it's cheap. It's an app with such basic functionality- it's, at most a 1 day a week coding job to maintain the whole thing for 1 person, if that. I really don't understand why it's so buggy and out of date. Pretty much the only reason I have it is because it saves lists and the warscrolls are really easy to access.

If you look at something like AoS Reminders- it's pretty much bug-free, works incredibly well on any platform and is pretty much up to date.

4 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I quit my Azyr Subscription for the brazen price they‘ll charge for the 40K app - I won’t tolerate rhe reckless greed if this company anymore.

About Azyr: It‘s been bugged, outdated, bad and not really been improved since it’s launch.

Try the Frostgrave/Ghost Archipelago/Rangers of Shadowdeep environment. Quite interesting in the small warbands scale, and model agnostic.

Frostgrave (maybe hold out a month for 2nd edition) + Ghost Archipelago + Rangers pdf cost as much as Warcry+Skirmish, and it's three different games: versus (in two variants), cooperative and solo.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:10 AM, Bayul said:

Nevertheless I won't buy anything ever if my purchases stay locked to one single device and can't be linked to an account I have access to if I replace my smartphone.

So there's some progress in this regard: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/20/my-warhammer-your-warhammer/

We all can create a "My Warhammer account".

It likely just got hit with too many people at once. Give it a day or two and try again, its not as if its essential right now. Though as its going to become the new "hub" I'm surprised they didn't simply build an account migration service into it. Esp for Black Library where you might already own multiple downloadable books/audiobooks 

27 minutes ago, Overread said:

It likely just got hit with too many people at once. Give it a day or two and try again, its not as if its essential right now. Though as its going to become the new "hub" I'm surprised they didn't simply build an account migration service into it. Esp for Black Library where you might already own multiple downloadable books/audiobooks 

It‘s working again. It just has to work through a massive stack of requests ^^

1 hour ago, Dukeus said:

Do i have to Update the Azyr App Somehow? Still no point Upgrade to ghb 2020 Standard. 

Its really annoying. I mean for what do i pay there exactly. Do do the math in my head myself? 

They don't even have Lumineth in there. It's literally one team working on both the AOS and new 40k apps... that alone makes me want to never subscribe to any GW app.

Overcharging for 40k and not even paying a separate team? I sure hope their programmers are getting a decent wage for 2x the work

On 7/10/2020 at 5:07 AM, hughwyeth said:

As others have said, it's going to be really hard for an AoS app to be worth £4 a month in a world of AoS reminders. I pay subscription for that app and it's invaluable, well made, super stable and fast. GW's record on these kind of things is appalling. 

AOS reminders is a full app already??

Honestly, the only reason I use the Azyr app is for the access to all the warscrolls in the game at my leisure. I was tentatively thinking about getting back into 40k casually, and when I saw that this wasn't going to be included it was a bit of a put off.

I like being able to peruse warscrolls whenever I want, for whatever army I want. Sometimes during a match, I just want to double check what some of my opponents stuff does, without interrupting them during their turn. Or on the bus, thinking of a cool idea, and just want to check up some stats.

Age of Sigmar is just so much easier to get into given the scrolls are freely available, the full rules are available for free, and there's the free list building online application in Warscroll Builder.
I think the combination of having all the warscrolls and warscroll builder freely available is just a winner. I don't need to purchase a battletome to build and plan an army, I have all the tools at my leisure to do that before deciding to spend my cash.

If they took away those things come the new edition, well... I think I'd live with it, but it'd leave a bit of a sour taste.

• Like 3