Future of AoS Application

Sleboda

First off, yes, I spelled out "application." I'm betting some of you whipper snappers didn't even know that "app" is a shortened version of "application." It's like how "legit" is to "legitimate" or "rehab" is to "rehabilitation" or "Stormcast" is to "abomination within the eyes of our lord Nagash."

Second, yes, I know there is already an app for AoS. I'm talking about something new, or at the very least, evolved.

Lastly, it's 11 p.m. and I need to go start my day and paint, so I'll keep this short:

Do we think the glory of the new 40K app will make its way to an AoS app? Roughly $75 USD per year for all rules, validated list building, digital copies of books bundled with physical versions ... you know, the stuff we've been asking for for years?

Dunno 'bout y'inz, but I surely want this to be the case!  You?

• Haha 3

Is that the subscription cost for the new 40K app? Whew, not an insignificant amount of money.

The new app only gives free access to all codices that don’t come with a one time code. At launch having access to thousands of dollars worth of content for this subscription fee is certainly very good value (if you intend to take advantage of this that is). Over time though it becomes a less attractive proposition but many I am sure would find it great.

Short answer is yes, I think we will see a spruce up of our app within the next twelve months.

Likely with AoS 3 i'm betting. They keep bouncing ideas between AoS and 40k so one takes the plunge and upon success the other one gets it next (ex: AoS' massive success leading to 40k 8th being heavily based off our system and now we're getting 40k's good terrain rules for our realmscapes)

Personally I only want physical items with the occasional quick app search for a warscroll but a big bundle like that would be appreciated by the community just as the Warscrolls Builder and Azyr Systems were.

Edit: Oh yeah, definitely keep all the Warscrolls, warscroll point builder and core rules free!

Those are essential for the easy access into the hobby that everyone loves about Age of Sigmar.

Edited by Baron Klatz

If I have to pay for an app then I would want the information in it to be updated regularly within that cost.

I bought my first battletomes on the app and then found out they don't update them with the new errata so I then had to download that too. In my mind, a digital book can be updated with a new upload. I get the errata were free on the app but having to open different free apps is actually more of a faff than printing off the errata, cutting them out and putting them in the relevant page of the tome. (The other thing I was surprised about was buying the physical version and not getting a digital download too which seems a bit out of date.)

Update the books and update the rules and I'd pay.

• Like 2

I was very excited about the 40k app, but when I saw the price and what's included my excitement died right away.
With the AoS app I can look at all the warscrolls, the core rules, and create lineups for a game completely for free, and for a very small fee I can also subscribe to the list builder. For further costs I can add the battletomes if I want.
In contrast it seems that the free part of the 40k app is only going to be the core rules, I did not see any mention about being able to browse datasheets for free. So in order to get any real use out of the app (looking up model rules, building lists etc) you have to pay FOUR times what you pay for the AoS app (that also provides a lot of the 40k app's paid content for free).
Really disappointed to see GW going this way with the 40k app and I really hope they don't do the same with the AoS app in the future.

Edited by Falkman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

As long as the AoS Subscription isn‘t 3,99 GBP as well...

I honestly was surprised by the price in a negative way. Converted to Euros the App would cost as much as Disney+ which seems utterly excessive to me.

Agreed. I didn't say how much I'd be willing to pay ;)

If it added things like  how AoS Reminders and Battlescribe work, which IMO work better than the Warscroll Builder, then it becomes a better price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Falkman said:

Really disappointed to see GW going this way with the 40k app and I really hope they don't do the same with the AoS app in the future.

Yup. I do think it's inevitable that electronic versions will be the way forward and physical copies will stop which is fine by me, the caveat being they use the full potential of electronic media, update the products fully and they are sensibly priced.

• Like 2

I think it's important to remember that AoS and 40k are two different beasts.  Within 40k, datasheets and points are already behind a paywall in the form of having to purchase a book (or a box of models).  For AoS warscrolls are free to download and points available through warscroll builder.

The 40k app now allows you to "unlock" codexes from the physical copy and then automatically merges errata and chapter approved changes into them.  The army builder includes popups for core / universal rules and is inherently more complicated than AoS with a lot more granularity (down to weapon level points).

My own thought is that the AoS app will get an overhaul at some point.  Likely incorporating battletome unlocking.  I can't see the army building tool changing much.  AoS is GW's way of introducing people to wargaming, you literally just have to pick up a box of models and all the rules are available online - I can't see that being changed as it works really well.

24 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

As long as the AoS Subscription isn‘t 3,99 GBP as well...

I honestly was surprised by the price in a negative way. Converted to Euros the App would cost as much as Disney+ which seems utterly excessive to me.

I'd wait on the european cost until it's out.  Most mobile apps don't use a regular conversion rate - in game purchases are a good example of this where the GBP and EUR/USD numbers are often the same.  In the UK we pay £5.99 for Disney+

• Like 1

I'd gladly pay £3.99 a month for access to all those things. I strongly disagree that this is 'utterly excessive'. It's £3.99 - you can't get a beer for that, and just about a coffee, a burger or piece of cake, and you burn through consumption of those things in  5 minutes. 

Edited by Marc Wilson

4 hours ago, Sleboda said:

First off, yes, I spelled out "application." I'm betting some of you whipper snappers didn't even know that "app" is a shortened version of "application." It's like how "legit" is to "legitimate" or "rehab" is to "rehabilitation" or "Stormcast" is to "abomination within the eyes of our lord Nagash."

Second, yes, I know there is already an app for AoS. I'm talking about something new, or at the very least, evolved.

Lastly, it's 11 p.m. and I need to go start my day and paint, so I'll keep this short:

Do we think the glory of the new 40K app will make its way to an AoS app? Roughly $75 USD per year for all rules, validated list building, digital copies of books bundled with physical versions ... you know, the stuff we've been asking for for years?

Dunno 'bout y'inz, but I surely want this to be the case!  You?

What is this AoS that you keep referring to? I'm going take a massive leap and assume, within the context of this forum, that your lazy turn of phrase might be referring to the tabletop game, Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Now I'll concede that it is sometimes colloquially, and incorrectly of course, referred to by some of the more degenerate people out there as just Age of Sigmar, but AoS? I'm sorry that's just the garbled sound some barbarian might make and frankly a step too far.

In the interests of maintaining a coherent dialogue I would suggest that you take note of Luke 4:23 and the edict, "Physician, heal thyself".

Edited by JPjr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

As others have said, it's going to be really hard for an AoS app to be worth £4 a month in a world of AoS reminders. I pay subscription for that app and it's invaluable, well made, super stable and fast. GW's record on these kind of things is appalling. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marc Wilson said:

I'd gladly pay £3.99 a month for access to all those things. I strongly disagree that this is 'utterly excessive'. It's £3.99 - you can't get a beer for that, and just about a coffee, a burger or piece of cake, and you burn through consumption of those things in  5 minutes. 

While you are of course technically correct, I see two issues with that argument;

1) This app is a beer, Netflix is a pizza, Disney+ is two shots, TV is a burger, PS plus is another beer etc. One subscription in itself is not excessive, but the current trend of moving more and more products and services to subscription payments is both unsettling and in some cases unnecessary (I would argue this is one of those).

2) While the monthly cost for this might "only" be a beer, you also have to consider what the final (and actual) payment will be. Let's say 9th ed runs for three years like 8th ed did, you are looking at actually paying 144£ for this (4 x 36 months), not just a beer. And if this was the upfront cost I'm betting most people would balk at it and not pay it because it is a lot of money for what is essentially really just army building (remember you still have to buy new codexes separately to unlock their rules in the app so that cost is added on top). Moving this to a subscription method instead is really just a clever way of hiding this cost and having it be easily hand-waved away with your "but it's just a beer" argument.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, JPjr said:

What is this AoS that you keep referring to? I'm going take a massive leap and assume, within the context of this forum, that your lazy turn of phrase might be referring to the tabletop game, Warhammer Age of Sigmar.

Now I'll concede that it is sometimes colloquially, and incorrectly of course, referred to by some of the more degenerate people out there as just Age of Sigmar, but AoS? I'm sorry that's just the garbled sound some barbarian might make and frankly a step too far.

In the interests of maintaining a coherent dialogue I would suggest that you take note of Luke 4:23 and the edict, "Physician, heal thyself".

There is a good reason to shorten things in Age of Sigmar. Most names have superfluous words, and the name of the game itself refers to too small of a group within the realms.

40K would be more accurately described by "Age of Space Marines", and yet, there'd be an outroar if that name change was suggested. Somehow, the god that stands for two (and arguably only the majority of humans in Cities) factions is the acting word in the name of the game itself.

All of the recent factions have a superfluous word in them. Lumineth, Ossiarch, Cities etc. Similar with the unit names, Gunhauler, Ironclad, Dawnriders, Wardens all have a second word that nobody needs to pinpoint the unit. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zilberfrid said:

There is a good reason to shorten things in Age of Sigmar. Most names have superfluous words, and the name of the game itself refers to too small of a group within the realms.

40K would be more accurately described by "Age of Space Marines", and yet, there'd be an outroar if that name change was suggested. Somehow, the god that stands for two (and arguably only the majority of humans in Cities) factions is the acting word in the name of the game itself.

All of the recent factions have a superfluous word in them. Lumineth, Ossiarch, Cities etc. Similar with the unit names, Gunhauler, Ironclad, Dawnriders, Wardens all have a second word that nobody needs to pinpoint the unit. 

He was just making a joke in response to Sleboda's mention of "application" instead of "app". ;)

10 hours ago, JPjr said:

Ha! Indeed! Good point.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3.99 a month for all the battletome/codices then maybe. That's what, a medium size model per year? Not too bad.

3.99 a month plus I have to buy each book. And those books go out of date and I have to buy the new versions. No, not a chance.

So close GW, you almost nailed it.

I've never been able to restore anything from the AoS application.  Even the Flames of War app works better and restores and they don't have the resources GW does for App Dev.

I have little interest in the 40k as a result.  I just recently lost my GHB 2019 (not an issue,.. but,.. what if i have to fix something mid-year) and emailed GW support asking why their app won't restore.

Also I don't know if the 40k is clear about having Warscrolls in the app free.  So far I see "option for warscrolls" and "Free core rules".  That doesn't interest me much.

Wow, £3.99 is premium segment for an app... it's time to buy some GAW stock.

At this price point an app needs to provide a substantial service and offer some monetary incentives and not just function as a paywall. Nevertheless I won't buy anything ever if my purchases stay locked to one single device and can't be linked to an account I have access to if I replace my smartphone.

I am happy to pay $1.35 CDN per month for the current AoS app, even in this time where I haven't played a game in over 4 months and I'm not likely to play another one for at least a few months.

I would be less happy to pay $7.99 CDN (for models at least, price in $CDN is usually exactly double the price in £) per month for a game I'm not playing.