AoS 2 - Slaves to Darkness 2 Discussion

Overread

12 minutes ago, etlm1987 said:

So no matter if you play Khorne or Nurgle or Tzeentch, help me understand why you wouldn't jam 80 marauders in any list you make with a chaos sorcerer lord? I don't think any of the battleline from the other factions are nearly as good as just marauders.

Someone tell me why you wouldn't do this?

• Because the game is more than just spamming the best models and some people prefer unit diversity
  • Because some people don´t have 80 Marauders
  • Because people don´t like the sculpt
  • Because people thing that a unit of 40 is a pain in the ar** enough to paint and transport

There are valid reasons ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, velocitydog said:

Charleston, you are correct good sir!  Thanks for getting me properly oriented.  I do have a question about sorcerers.  It's a  bit of an existential dilemma being a Khorne player but some of their spells are pretty good and having a way to unbind spells never hurts.  According to what I saw in an older post, they although sorcerers can't have the Khorne keyword but can be included in the list with another mark (say undivided), correct?  However, IIRC all units in an army have to have the same faction in order to benefit from faction abilities.  

Thanks in advance for the help!

As some one that is still a little annoyed at the loss of Undivided Daemon Princes, I wouldn't worry about it too much fluff wise.   You can just say that the army was Undivided until recently where its general was elevated to Daemon Prince of Khorne (since they have to pick now) and most of the army followed suit witnessing the best endgame path of glory with their own eyes.  The now Deamon Prince recognizes the utility of his sorcerer lackey from his mortal days and keeps him/her around.

Honestly, this probably will be the real way my army on the table should one of my heroes roll box cars for the Eye of the Gods.  Assuming, I don't snub the gods themselves since I have to weigh the usefulness of a Daemon Prince that no longer providing aura buff as well as if the unit it was is better.  Which to be honest, will probably be the Chaos Lord on Karkadrak who as already rolled twice his first game out.  Unless he is badly beaten up, I just don't see it being a good trade ever mostly because the lost of the Undivided buff.  Like I said, I am annoyed at the lost of Undivided Daemon Princes.

22 hours ago, ccconner777 said:

Give them a nurgle warshrine buff and oracular visions from a sorceror and youve got marauders on a 4+ rerollable save with a 6+ aftersave. Not exactly dying to a stiff breeze. Since chaos warriors get reroll saves baseline they don't need the buff, and chaos sorc is one of the cheapest heroes that emit an aura and are good spellcasters aside, so its not unlikely that you'll have an oracular visions available to give those marauders, and the ability is just within, not wholly within, so it's easy to use. And every list ive made has a warshrine, so its not like that's a tax to make my marauders better either.

how do you get the marauders to 4+? Isn't it 5+ with shields?

7 hours ago, Charleston said:

There are valid reasons ;)

Imo it would be easy to spam 120 Marauders, but it is unfun, unwieldy and yeah.... painting my 40 made my back hurt for three days xD (painted within 24 hours)

the other points are fine though you can easily use Bloodreavers (rebase!) as Marauders, for a cool horde!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BaronBanana said:

Question about marks.  I can't remember where I saw it, but Marks are chosen during list building, right?  Meaning I can have S2D Tzeentch marauders in a tzeentch allegiance? Would they still count as battleline? 

They are, you can and they are always battleline.

• Thanks 1

i have a gameplay question,

if a chaos charriot in ruinbringer warband charges a enemy unit,  which abilities trigger first? , swift dead or ruinbringer warband trigger? 

they trigger at the same time?

what happend if my opponent remove some models with the first trigger and then with the second trigger im out of range

If you have multiple abilities that trigger at the same time, the controlling player (you) decide in which order to activate them. If the other player also has abilites occuring at the same time, you alternate with the player whos turn is taking place going first. 

If the first ability takes the unit out of range then the second ability does nothing, although this seems unlikely to happen in most cases with 1-3mw. You could probably position yourself to mitigate the risc, and activate the ability with the lowest mw potential first - so use the chariots inbuilt ability last, just in case you roll yatzee!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rod said:

i have a gameplay question,

if a chaos charriot in ruinbringer warband charges a enemy unit,  which abilities trigger first? , swift dead or ruinbringer warband trigger? 

they trigger at the same time?

what happend if my opponent remove some models with the first trigger and then with the second trigger im out of range

If two abilities happen at the same time, you get to pick which order to resolve them and do so one at a time. In the case that the second ability is no longer valid when you go to resolve it, then it isn't resolved. The precedence for it is in the khorne faq/developer commentary for their tyrants of blood/reapers of vengeance combo.

So in this case you would have to pick one, do the mortal wounds, have the models removed, and then if valid do the second. So probably make sure you're close enough to 4 models if you can and do the ability with the lowest expected damage first.

Edit: haha ninja'd

Edited by Grimrock
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Mikeymajq said:

If i have a unit of 10 chaos warriors and they take a bunch of wounds. Can I roll them all at once or do I lose the reroll after 1 guy bites it and need to roll them seperately? I can't for the life of me remember how this works

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think you allocate the wounds after all the saves and rerolls etc. So yes you reroll all the saves before starting to take away models.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:01 AM, drcrater said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think you allocate the wounds after all the saves and rerolls etc. So yes you reroll all the saves before starting to take away models.

Thanks! The tought struck me and I had to ask to be sure 😅

Edit:

Well, I got absolutely slapped around in our Meeting engagement game yesterday. I faced off against Disciples of Tzeentch. Coupled with some bad manouvering on my part and getting my chariot torched by and endless spell, and my knights killed by tzaangor enlightened doing exactly enough wounds to kill them in one go made for a pretty horrific first impression...

I only got 3 vp and didn't even cause him to lose a single model before round 4. I think it's back to the drawing board for me xD

Edited by Mikeymajq

19 minutes ago, calcysimon said:

god specific battalions are only 1 hero and other units need not too be heroes? or any unit?

They're one hero to lead and then the rest just have to be mortal slaves to darkness with the relevant mark. So heroes are allowed, warshrines, heck even archaon could be included. 

Edited by Grimrock

Had a casual game on the wknd; 2500 points- Ravagers with Ruinbringers Battalion against Cities of Sigmar Tempests Eye - Relocation Orb

I took 30 x knights, 3 x chariots, 5 x marauder horsemen and lord on Karkadrak, plus 2 x lords on daemonic mount, Sorcerer Lord and allied bloodstoker.

Awesome game, went down to bottom of turn 5 , tied on VP and I took the minor win with about 550 points remaining to his 250 points. 

Lord on Karkadrak is a beast. I was giving him reroll saves and early on I rolled up a 5+ wound shrug on the eye of gods table which saved him multiple times. 

Ruinbringers is an awesome battalion, adding some much needed extra punch to knights and almost, almost justifying chariots. After the initial charge the chariots did practically nothing, even to the poorly armoured freeguild/duardin units I was hitting, but it was nice to see them on the table again. 

Tried and failed to alpha strike with a buffed unit of knights and Mask of Darkness spell, but still found the spell useful to teleport the wizard around and get reroll saves or undivided aura where I needed it.

Bringing marauders on for a near guaranteed charge was great fun. They pretty much always died immediately but they ensured my opponent couldnt press forward with everything he had and the wounds they chipped off backline handgunners etc was essential to keeping me in the game.

Definitely favouring ravagers/ruinbringers combo over Despoilers legion at this stage but need to play against a higher tier army to really test it out. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Spoiler

aVoUobNh.jpg

kKk11DVh.jpg

5l0VQv2h.jpg

I played a couple of 2,500 pt games versus Kharadron Overlords (spoiler is an image of the two armies of the table.  First game was Focal Points and only lasted a little more than 1 round when the KO player conceded after having terrible luck shooting, and I had manged to capture all five objectives while removing all of his Fyreslayer units (he was playing the Skyport that allows any 25% dwarf unit).  I was playing Ravagers.  After the game, I game him some pointers on where the weak spots were in my army and he got some lunch.

The next game was Relocation Orb.  This game went the entire duration and was neck and neck until the last round.  The orb kept jumping back and forth in the half of the table I hadn't secured and didn't have anything that moved fast (basically Warriors can Warcry Cultists).  This proved to be a much tougher game since my army is designed around  capturing territory and holding it.  Not knowing where the objective would go made it tough to keep everything from not getting jumbled.  Which it did and probably cost me quite a bit.

What I can say about the Kharadron Overlords is shooting is straight up annoying as I can't really do anything about it except makes Saves (almost always a -1 Rend).  My Chaos Lord on Karkadrak and Varangaurd were minced when my Save dice went cold on me. The airships were also difficult as I couldn't easily damage them and at least the big one could repair quite a bit and could float away if it felt too threatened.  Most of the KO stuff were cream puffs in melee, and I could see why the KO player had Fyreslayers in his army as they were the units I had to be careful how I engaged.

I was expecting a much tougher fight to be honest.  The first game I was steamrolling the KO player and was fine not continuing as he made some bad calls and I was executing my strategy well and it was pretty much decided already.  The second game I got my units jumbled,  had them stepping on each other's toes and time and again had my Heroes out of position.  Even then, I lost more due to not having the speed to catch the moving objective more than the KO actively stopping my units.  Again the only trouble some spot is the KO can focus ranged fire a lot of stuff very easy while making Saves not particularly easy.  By late game, my army is basically gassed out and gets it removed off the table pretty fast.

Edited by Saturmorn Carvilli
  • Thanks 2

For those who played some games I have a question. I have three chariot conversions. Realistically I can play them as both but I like them as horse drawn better. 

now the question. When is it advisable to play a unit or three? Or just always better to do 3x1? 

@Kramer

Before the new battletome the a unit of three chariots would have had a point discount.  That doesn't exist anymore.

I know a lot of players want to limit the number of drops to be able to dictate initiative (I think).  But I am not at that level and like having the ability to counter-deploy so additional drops wouldn't be an issue from the games I have played so far.  There also might be something to combat phase activations, but again; I think having the Chariots separate would allow then to get into more fights since a group of three might be tough to get all of them into a fight.

So, I lean toward having three 1 chariot units.  But again, I might be missing something interesting with them.  I have two chariots, but I haven't fielded them as I prefer an infantry and cavalry army instead.

• Like 1

What do you guys think about this as a basis for a 2000 pnt army.  Still finalizing spells and marks.

Also considering pulling 5 Marauder Horsemen for Darkfire Daemonrift.

Also could combine knights to reduce drop count.

2000/2000 Despoilers

Godsworn Champions of Ruin Battalion - 180

Daemon Prince - 210

General

Diabolic Mantle

Khorne

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak - 250

Battalion Hero

Helm of Many Eyes

Be'Lakor - 240

Chaos Sorcerer Lord - 110

5 Chaos Knights - 180

5 Chaos Knights - 180

15 Chaos Warriors - 300

5 Marauder Horsemen - 90

5 Marauder Horsemen - 90

Chaos Warshrine - 170

Edited by begleysm

28 minutes ago, Saturmorn Carvilli said:

@Kramer

Before the new battletome the a unit of three chariots would have had a point discount.  That doesn't exist anymore.

I know a lot of players want to limit the number of drops to be able to dictate initiative (I think).  But I am not at that level and like having the ability to counter-deploy so additional drops wouldn't be an issue from the games I have played so far.  There also might be something to combat phase activations, but again; I think having the Chariots separate would allow then to get into more fights since a group of three might be tough to get all of them into a fight.

So, I lean toward having three 1 chariot units.  But again, I might be missing something interesting with them.  I have two chariots, but I haven't fielded them as I prefer an infantry and cavalry army instead.

I'm leaning towards cheaply filling out Ruin bringers to have the best of both worlds with them ( cheaply compared to most of our options, been spoiled by the Cities ones costing next to nothing)

Edited by Eldarain