Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

3 hours ago, Tonhel said:

Why would they sell again the old Chaos Warrior sculpts. There are new ones, which are just the same mini, but better sculpted and more dynamic. They will not put the old Chaos Warrior in new Warhammer  "The old world" boxes. Same for the Saurus warriors and etc. If and when there is a chaos armybook / list for Warhammer the old world. It will have the new daemon prince, knights, warriors and etc in it. It makes zero sense to use the old outdated models for exactlty the same unit with the same name. Unless they want that people talk about Warhammer the old world as the game with the ugly mini's.

Edit: It seems more plausible that they will add to the boxes of resculpts as i.e the Chaos warriors "These miniatures can be used for Age of Sigmar and Warhammer "The Old World"."

GW is peculiar. What I've noticed from the promotion so far is that they are leaning hard into the retro aesthetic. The minis have green bases. The minis are all sat on green felt and there are the old trees and the old scenery kits in the background. 

The article talks about using your old armies but has no mention whatsoever of AoS armies. 

The chaos warriors and knights are the extreme example. The modern kits have the same name, look similar, have similar weapons and would probably fit on the new base sizes. I'm not sure if they will go so far as to sell the old warriors kit but when the get round to doing an army book, I suspect it will be old models we see in the photos. 

They said they aren't going to increase the scale but the new warriors are bigger and the new Saurus are much bigger. 

I personally think the smart choice is to use the new models but I worry that The Old World is going so deep down the nostalgia rabbit hole that they may see it differently. 

• Like 1

Just use new models if there are “aos” versions. It won’t work for everything, but people griping about not using the new goblin riders is silly.

they could be capitalizing on nostalgia

or the fact that the team’s notoriously work separately and didn’t have access to use the models.

use what makes you happy. If you don’t like it either do not play, or better, make some sweet conversions.

I believe this is a big enough deal that there will be some good new kits and upgrades, a test for reception - if positive then it’s full steam ahead. Lots of opportunities to make those total war armies.

• Like 6

Old World players are already grabbing the AoS sculpts and putting them on square bases. Great Book of Grudges did a video on it. They find it difficult to put the new updated sculpts on the 8th Ed size bases, but on the new bigger bases, I can see them ranking and filing with 0 problems.

I don't see GW bringing back the awful old Saurus, Chaos Warriors and the overpriced resin Blood Knights for TOW just for the sake of "old miniatures". Especially since all of the above are pretty much WHFB units that happened to be released in AoS. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Old World players are already grabbing the AoS sculpts and putting them on square bases. Great Book of Grudges did a video on it. They find it difficult to put the new updated sculpts on the 8th Ed size bases, but on the new bigger bases, I can see them ranking and filing with 0 problems.

I don't see GW bringing back the awful old Saurus, Chaos Warriors and the overpriced resin Blood Knights for TOW just for the sake of "old miniatures". Especially since all of the above are pretty much WHFB units that happened to be released in AoS. 

I would also be surprised to see the return of kits that were essentially just updated, rather than reimagined, for AoS. It make sense to put High Elves and Orks back into production, because Lumineth and Kruleboyz are significantly different. But I don't see all the old Vampire Counts stuff returning, honestly. Maybe select models that changed a lot, like the Black Coach.

45 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I would also be surprised to see the return of kits that were essentially just updated, rather than reimagined, for AoS. It make sense to put High Elves and Orks back into production, because Lumineth and Kruleboyz are significantly different. But I don't see all the old Vampire Counts stuff returning, honestly. Maybe select models that changed a lot, like the Black Coach.

IIRC, the current black coach is literally from 8th edition WHFB. Otherwise, agree with everything you (and others) wrote.

1 minute ago, KingKull said:

IIRC, the current black coach is literally from 8th edition WHFB. Otherwise, agree with everything you (and others) wrote.

The webstore says 2018, which I think is the date of the original Nighthaunt release. It's a year or two before I got back into AoS, so I would appreciate if someone could confirm. I'd be surprised if the current Black Coach was from WHFB, because it has such a massive base size.

11 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The webstore says 2018, which I think is the date of the original Nighthaunt release. It's a year or two before I got back into AoS, so I would appreciate if someone could confirm. I'd be surprised if the current Black Coach was from WHFB, because it has such a massive base size.

Yep, the Nighthaunt Black Couch is from AoS 2.0, that's 2018.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yep, you're right, I was thinking about the coven throne lel. I stand corrected & apologize 

• Thanks 1

The armies I can see having post 8th Ed models in TOW are :

- Warriors of Chaos (chaos warriors, knights, chosen, generic heroes... WHFB variants were either old plastic or resin)
- Demons of Chaos (you seriously see GW not using the plastic greater demons in TOW ?)
- Lizardmen (All the new Seraphon models would not look out of place in Lustria, and the old ones are terrible anyway)

- Vampire Counts (not all the SBGL models, but the skeletons, zombies, dire wolves, blood knights and fell bats, plus the black coach and whatever new FEC models can fit. WHTOW players want old minis back, but I'm not sure they want the old zombies back though)
- Orcs & Gobbos ( plastic squigs and stone trolls are post 8th Ed but I don't think we'll see their older models even if they're "classic" because pewter models are from another era)

That's already some army books dealt with as far as plastic models go ! 

Edited by The Lost Sigmarite
  • Like 3

GW was no stranger to pretty drastic redesigns throughout Fantasy's lifespan, so I don't think they'll have too much trouble justifying the updated sculpts--specifically things like the Saurus cavalry. I can easily see them simply calling them Cold Ones. Even if they end up being a separate thing and (god forbid) the old models for them coming back, they're also big fans of dropping new stuff into a setting and pretending it's always been there, so we might end up with both units. Something like the new ogre tyrant, or whatever else has a Stormcast mask on it, can be handwaved with "ancient relic" or "something something, the warp works in mysterious ways," if they bother justifying it at all.

If I'm remembering the hearsay right, then the model designers and rules teams are completely separate. The people designing The Old World might not have much of a say in what goes on models-wise even if they're completely independent from the main AoS team. I wish we had a clearer picture of GW's corporate structure because then it would be easier to make delusional fanfiction about how they decide that kind of stuff 😔

Regardless, I look forward to  pointlessly speculating on something that will be revealed in two weeks anyway

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'll be interested to see if they take the opportunity to create rules for some of the units they've introduced in Age of Sigmar that could fit in the Old World. I can't see why most of the nighthaunt range couldn't have a place in Vampire Counts armies, or even things like the dankhold troggoth or the new raptadons  

Adding to this I thought I'd have a look through the range for any models that don't have a direct correlation within the 8th edition armies that aren't necessarily too 'Age of Sigmary' and see what people think.

Order:

- High Gladiatrix

- Raptadons

Chaos

- Darkoath Warqueen/Chieftain

- Tzaangors of all varieties

- Slaangors

- Slickblade/Blissbarb Seekers

- Blissbarb Archers

- Pusgoyle Blightlords

Death:

- Entire nighthaunt range minus special characters

Destruction

- Sneaky Snufflers

- Boingrot Bounders (?)

- Dankhold Troggoth

- Brutes

- Gore-Gruntas (?)

- Mega Gargants

That's everything I've found that I feel wouldn't be too out of place

Edited by Bolfrig Bearhide
  • LOVE IT! 1

On 4/18/2023 at 1:51 AM, Chikout said:

GW is peculiar. What I've noticed from the promotion so far is that they are leaning hard into the retro aesthetic. The minis have green bases. The minis are all sat on green felt and there are the old trees and the old scenery kits in the background. 

The article talks about using your old armies but has no mention whatsoever of AoS armies. 

The chaos warriors and knights are the extreme example. The modern kits have the same name, look similar, have similar weapons and would probably fit on the new base sizes. I'm not sure if they will go so far as to sell the old warriors kit but when the get round to doing an army book, I suspect it will be old models we see in the photos. 

They said they aren't going to increase the scale but the new warriors are bigger and the new Saurus are much bigger. 

I personally think the smart choice is to use the new models but I worry that The Old World is going so deep down the nostalgia rabbit hole that they may see it differently. 

I don’t tjink that is going ti stop people using the newer models😂

19 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Yeah although I would probably see the problem with lumineth mostly with their absurd neckbreaking helmets.

7 hours ago, Bolfrig Bearhide said:

I'll be interested to see if they take the opportunity to create rules for some of the units they've introduced in Age of Sigmar that could fit in the Old World. I can't see why most of the nighthaunt range couldn't have a place in Vampire Counts armies, or even things like the dankhold troggoth or the new raptadons  

Adding to this I thought I'd have a look through the range for any models that don't have a direct correlation within the 8th edition armies that aren't necessarily too 'Age of Sigmary' and see what people think.

Order:

- High Gladiatrix

- Raptadons

Chaos

- Darkoath Warqueen/Chieftain

- Tzaangors of all varieties

- Slaangors

- Slickblade/Blissbarb Seekers

- Blissbarb Archers

- Pusgoyle Blightlords

Death:

- Entire nighthaunt range minus special characters

Destruction

- Sneaky Snufflers

- Boingrot Bounders (?)

- Dankhold Troggoth

- Brutes

- Gore-Gruntas (?)

- Mega Gargants

That's everything I've found that I feel wouldn't be too out of place

i agree.

many of those new units do fit the warhammer old world very well.

37 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

I don’t tjink that is going ti stop people using the newer models😂

I agree. I'm sure people will use lots of 3d printed models too.  That's not the point I was trying to make. I suspect that they will discourage players from using AoS models in the game. They won't see AoS boxes with square bases as well as rounds or have labels on the box that say they are old world compatible. I'm talking about gw policy not player behaviour. 

• Like 4

Just now, Chikout said:

I agree. I'm sure people will use lots of 3d printed models too.  That's not the point I was trying to make. I suspect that they will discourage players from using AoS models in the game. They won't see AoS boxes with square bases as well as rounds or have labels on the box that say they are old world compatible. I'm talking about gw policy not player behaviour. 

Maybe, but man will gw be disappointed when everybody who can is using the newer models.

i mean you can discourage a person for a long time, but when he isn’t too interested in following that discouragement people get inventive.

and considering that seraphon are getting new models, there’s no chance that old world lizard-things players are going for the old models😂.

as for the skaven, yeah we are the 3d army.

Nothing is going to stop that unless gw gets their butts together and release a newly refreshed range for the skaven

21 hours ago, The Lost Sigmarite said:

Yeah I've been using the new troll and squig models on squares for years now, with base adapters if I ever want to actually play gloomspite in AoS.

6 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

They wouldn't even have to retcon anything to include the new rapterdon riders or whatever they are called. Long before the rise of the derpy cold one knights, the lizardmen army featured metal skinks, riding really hard to build and pose raptor like creatures!

Watch them bring back those 5th edition Lizardmen instead. Bretonnia vs. Lizardmen box revival when?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now imagine this: your favourite setting/game gets blown up. Oh okey guess I just move forward then to Aos after being grumpy old saltbag for an year. You rebase 90 percent of your models/armies while geedubs keeps ending support for your fantasy armies, hello Bretonnia and Wood elves.

Then you hear that okey they have this small side project coming to squares when you have been preaching for 7-8 years how great round bases are and how easy it is to get in to age of sigmar.

They finally figure it out that, bigger bases are better, you can actually rank models now in unit. But of course it's Gw so they don't want age of sigmar players using their toys, they want you to buy them again on little different sized shaped bases.

(sorry for the salt but all these rumours that you can't use aos bases/models are killing me) Sorry for all the beastmen players of old, basing ungors 20mm->25mm->round 25mm->square 25mm if you want official gw size.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blueraven84 said:

Now imagine this: your favourite setting/game gets blown up. Oh okey guess I just move forward then to Aos after being grumpy old saltbag for an year. You rebase 90 percent of your models/armies while geedubs keeps ending support for your fantasy armies, hello Bretonnia and Wood elves.

Then you hear that okey they have this small side project coming to squares when you have been preaching for 7-8 years how great round bases are and how easy it is to get in to age of sigmar.

They finally figure it out that, bigger bases are better, you can actually rank models now in unit. But of course it's Gw so they don't want age of sigmar players using their toys, they want you to buy them again on little different sized shaped bases.

(sorry for the salt but all these rumours that you can't use aos bases/models are killing me) Sorry for all the beastmen players of old, basing ungors 20mm->25mm->round 25mm->square 25mm if you want official gw size.

Yeah, they really need a sensible solution to allow players to cross between TOW and AOS. The simplest solution is to do something with movement trays, that would allow the footprint of the bases (regardless if they are square or circular) to be the same.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Yeah, they really need a sensible solution to allow players to cross between TOW and AOS. The simplest solution is to do something with movement trays, that would allow the footprint of the bases (regardless if they are square or circular) to be the same.

Even just making sure that AoS rounds always fit fully inside TOW squares would have been enough. But apparently AoS 32mm rounds will be 30mm squares in TOW, which is just so incredibly frustrating.

• Like 4

I'm not going to re-base anything. Every army I started in WFB is still on squares, every army I started for AOS is on rounds. There are a couple where I've ended up with a mixture due to new AoS armies assimilating models from my WFB collection. It looks a little untidy, but in the grand scheme of things, I just don't care. I'm sure I'll be able to slot every permutation into the relevant movement tray, and play with them without any issues. At the end of the day unless you're playing in massive tournaments it doesn't actually affect game play that much. If mm differences in placement give the one or other player some huge advantage then you're probably missing something, because almost every other variable in the rules, and the skill levels of the players is going to have more of an effect on the outcome of the game than that.

• Like 3

question for those more familiar with movement trays: how do they work with losses?

I have only ever used them in ASOIAF, and there the unit always has the footprint of the movement tray, whether it's at full strenght or with just 1 model remaining. Do you expect this to be the same in Old World? (or rather: how was it handled in WFB?)

You effectively ignore the movement tray for all rules purposes, it is just there to make things easier to move. This can become a slight pain once things start dying as you may have to place units on top of another units movement tray, but on the whole its reasonably manageable

Edited by Bolfrig Bearhide
  • Thanks 1