Warhammer - The Old World

Gareth 🍄

@Neverchosen

It's an interesting take. But I think the problem comes from all the production value and that's the main diference between The Old World and Horus Heresy.

Marines in plastic means that 80% of the Horus Heresy is in plastic (18/19! armies). Everything else, starting with the Custodes and Silence (no more auxiliaries!), Militia and Mechanicus are still resin. That's peak value right there!

If we assume that they are going to do the same with TOW, let's look at all armies/races:

• Humans (Empire/Bretonia/kislev/cathay?) 4 armies
  • Greens-kins (1 army)
  • Elfs (3 armies), mummies (1 army)
  • Horror show (1 army)
  • Ogres (1 army)
  • Skavens (1 army)
  • Mortal Chaos (1 army)
  • Beastmen (1 army)
  • Daemons (1/4 armies?)
  • Dwarfs (2 armies)
  • Lizardboys (1 army).

So, as a selfappointed GW production manager, I can make one big army or 2 not-that-big armies in plastic for a (250€) Starter Box. But what about all the others?

Recasting old kits seems to be a bandaid that could totally work, followed by a top-quality compendium. But appart from that, I'm really curious to know what are they going to do.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just caught up with this thread.  One thing I'm going to point out is that way back The Old World was being talked about as a historical version of Warhammer.  With each release/edition focusing on a specific time frame and including the main protagonists for that period.  If this is still the case then it immediately limits the miniatures that need to be sculpted/re-released.

I foresee that we're going to get a Core Rule Book which contains all of the rules.  We'll then have a compendium style book that includes profiles for the vast majority of old world armies allowing you to play games with models you have tucked away in cupboards.  We'll then get the "black book" for a specific time frame and a miniatures release that corresponds to that (it may or may not have a copy of the core rules in) - probably in a big old box set.

It was talked about this would be set in the Age of Three Emperors, so I imagine we'll get a Magnus the Pious model and Gorband for example as they form part of the main story arc.  I cannot imagine we're going to get a huge amount for lesser actors (e.g. Lizardmen), although I think ranges that no longer physically exist will get some support (e.g. Tomb Kings).

I could well be wrong and know that there have been a number of new sculpting jobs advertised over the past few years, so who knows!  What I will say is that I think we're safer expecting less releases rather than more and being disappointed.  I am confident that we'll get enough to allow people to use their old armies in some manner though.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

It was talked about this would be set in the Age of Three Emperors, so I imagine we'll get a Magnus the Pious model and Gorband for example as they form part of the main story arc.  I cannot imagine we're going to get a huge amount for lesser actors (e.g. Lizardmen), although I think ranges that no longer physically exist will get some support (e.g. Tomb Kings).

I know very little of the timescales of the old world. Is there any possibility of a setting in the time of a mortal human Sigmar?

16 hours ago, Beliman said:

@Neverchosen

It's an interesting take. But I think the problem comes from all the production value and that's the main diference between The Old World and Horus Heresy.

Marines in plastic means that 80% of the Horus Heresy is in plastic (18/19! armies). Everything else, starting with the Custodes and Silence (no more auxiliaries!), Militia and Mechanicus are still resin. That's peak value right there!

If we assume that they are going to do the same with TOW, let's look at all armies/races:

• Humans (Empire/Bretonia/kislev/cathay?) 4 armies
  • Greens-kins (1 army)
  • Elfs (3 armies), mummies (1 army)
  • Horror show (1 army)
  • Ogres (1 army)
  • Skavens (1 army)
  • Mortal Chaos (1 army)
  • Beastmen (1 army)
  • Daemons (1/4 armies?)
  • Dwarfs (2 armies)
  • Lizardboys (1 army).

So, as a selfappointed GW production manager, I can make one big army or 2 not-that-big armies in plastic for a (250€) Starter Box. But what about all the others?

Recasting old kits seems to be a bandaid that could totally work, followed by a top-quality compendium. But appart from that, I'm really curious to know what are they going to do.

Thank for the response, I knew I was probably far off but I needed to ask as I was interested if HH could function as a template for Old World but I guess not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EntMan said:

I know very little of the timescales of the old world. Is there any possibility of a setting in the time of a mortal human Sigmar?

I wouldn’t think so, the Age of Three Emperors is already pushing what races might bring back to the past. (Example: Bretonnia Trebuchet is a near End Times invention so wouldn’t be back when)

Sigmar’s time is an age of fur-clad warriors just discovering chainmail & crossbows and some areas still using chariots because stirrups are a new thing to(for humans, the elder races are mostly hidden at this point with Sigmar making the biggest breakthrough with dwarves that earned him Ghal Maraz. It wouldn’t be until the Great War Against Chaos that Ulthuan and elves stop being considered myths)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, EntMan said:

Very possibly, the early founding of what became the Empire had Sigmar as a mortal and sort of culminated in the first Battle of Black Fire Pass.  Lots of human, Dwarf and Orc action going on there!

That said, that is set in a much earlier time period than the Age of the Three Emperors, so would likely be a standalone "book"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

I wouldn’t think so, the Age of Three Emperors is already pushing what races might bring back to the past. (Example: Bretonnia Trebuchet is a near End Times invention so wouldn’t be back when)

Sorry, just realised I've completely contradicted you in my comment above 😂  I could see them looking at pre-Empire as a time period as it's an interesting one that people are curious about and as such would be popular.  I can't see it being as encompassing as they're talking about currently and be more like Viglius or Malign Portents in release scale.

• Like 1

I dunno, i cant help but think its the same bosses who seem super unconcerned about providing rules for a bunch of the heresy armies, 2 and some marines factions of which are still nebulous af.

But then again they haev to be aware of the problems of letting people over promise on their behalf as a disappointment engine, so id expect a compendium or set of pdfs at least letting you field old minis.

Id hope for some crossover, but base size is very important in the old warhammer rules, with that and ranking up i cant imagine many modern minis would fit well?

I'd think they'd want to use the newer miniatures. Keeping two sets of Chaos Warriors in production can't be good there.

They might be able to fit along the diagonal on the 25mm square bases, given the hypotenuse should be around 35mm.

They may also bump up the base sizes some. Not the biggest deal to bump up a base size, could just poster tack older miniatures onto the bigger base at the simplest. But I think you can probably get the new sculpts they showed off onto the previous square bases, although I obviously don't have the new models (or the square bases) to test.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

11 hours ago, Blueraven84 said:

I really wonder what are they going to do with square bases/models. For example current chaos warriors extend over 32mm round base so ranking those shoulder to shoulder with 25mm? square bases seems like wishlisting. Maybe they will reprint old style warriors but I really don't think so?

Squares is one of the few set in stone facts we know of.  I'm not sure how much Chaos we're going to see initially, but I think a number of current AoS model are too large to be ported straight over to The Old World.

6 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I'd think they'd want to use the newer miniatures. Keeping two sets of Chaos Warriors in production can't be good there.

I'm not so sure - we've multiple boxes of space marines in slightly different armour marks, so anything is possible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah that was great! Excited about new dwarfs! I'm happy if the release is later if they are making new models for it. Earlier rumours had them mostly just reusing old designs, this sounds more like a release like Horus Heresy rather than Lord of the Rings style. It all sounds great!

4 hours ago, EntMan said:

Plenty of chat about this in the Rumour Thread right now, but thought I'd post the article link here, as this is the Old World thread after all.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/11/old-world-development-diary-explore-the-war-torn-lands-of-the-world-that-was/

Ok, so if @MitGas's joke post is true, the Empire is essentially in the WFB equivalent of Game of Thrones..... here's hoping its season 1 writing instead of season 8. The hint about ancient kings makes it seem that Vampire counts are up next, though I'm still hoping that we get some new Tomb Kings stuff in the next post as well. I'm also hoping that the rumored Kislev and Cathay ranges are largely plastic, and lead to the creation of other army ranges like Araby, Ind, and Khuresh.

11 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

Ok, so if @MitGas's joke post is true, the Empire is essentially in the WFB equivalent of Game of Thrones..... here's hoping its season 1 writing instead of season 8. The hint about ancient kings makes it seem that Vampire counts are up next, though I'm still hoping that we get some new Tomb Kings stuff in the next post as well. I'm also hoping that the rumored Kislev and Cathay ranges are largely plastic, and lead to the creation of other army ranges like Araby, Ind, and Khuresh.

I'm unfamiliar/have forgotten  the history and timeline from Warhammer Fantasy - so could someone enlighten me if the Lizards from Lustria were present in the Old World (place) during the time of The Old World (game)?

18 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I'm unfamiliar/have forgotten  the history and timeline from Warhammer Fantasy - so could someone enlighten me if the Lizards from Lustria were present in the Old World (place) during the time of The Old World (game)?

To my knowledge they weren’t however there’s nothing stopping them appearing to act out the old ones plan 😁

If I remember the Great War against chaos didn’t change for years and wasn’t really explored. It’s quite cool they are choosing it as a setting as there’s a big scope to do stuff. So they could have Lizardmen appearing but probably more as isolated appearances which nobody believes. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, EntMan said:

I'm too young to know the answer (I turn 21 this year), but most likely no. However, it seems like the Lizardmen are going to get some new models soon, so keep the hope alive brother.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EntMan said:

If you mean the entire WHFB world then yes, they're hanging out in pseudo-Mesoamerica like they have since the beginning of time. If you mean Old World in the sense of pseudo-Europe, then no.

There are lizardmen cities in the Southlands though, which should be south of Cathay or something.

• Like 1

Just to add : the Southlands are the "Africa" continent equivalent, south of the Old World ("Europe"), not Cathay ("China"). In this way they are closer to the main action of TOW. The 6th-7th WFB ed. fluff also had the the Lizardmen re-conquer Albion and establish a city there, ready to strike in the Old World (well that was a prelude to Storm of Chaos, so around 2500 Imperial Calendar, not 2300 ... ). BTW I really like this "historical" approach to be able to play WFB in its "recent past" (the time of Gorbad, the time of Mordheim, etc.).

Anyway, I can't tell you how excited I am for The Old World release :P They really chose the best time as I always wanted the Great War Against Chaos and the Siege of Praag to be explored :D It could even mean we'll get Asavar Kul in miniature form, as well as...

ENGRA DEATHSWORD

Chaos_Lord.jpg.e49d9302c9a2c0daef9968da2763193c.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HorticulusTGA said:

Just to add : the Southlands are the "Africa" continent equivalent, south of the Old World ("Europe"), not Cathay ("China"). In this way they are closer to the main action of TOW. The 6th-7th WFB ed. fluff also had the the Lizardmen re-conquer Albion and establish a city there, ready to strike in the Old World (well that was a prelude to Storm of Chaos, so around 2500 Imperial Calendar, not 2300 ... ). BTW I really like this "historical" approach to be able to play WFB in its "recent past" (the time of Gorbad, the time of Mordheim, etc.).

Anyway, I can't tell you how excited I am for The Old World release :P They really chose the best time as I always wanted the Great War Against Chaos and the Siege of Praag to be explored :D It could even mean we'll get Asavar Kul in miniature form, as well as...

ENGRA DEATHSWORD

Chaos_Lord.jpg.e49d9302c9a2c0daef9968da2763193c.jpg

Funny, I wrote the very same thing yesterday (including Engra)... but I thought they now decided that it's NOT set in Asavar Kul's era but before that?

5 hours ago, MitGas said:

Funny, I wrote the very same thing yesterday (including Engra)... but I thought they now decided that it's NOT set in Asavar Kul's era but before that?

With the way they've worded the article, it's likely that we'll see Kul's eventual rise to power by the end of the game.... making him the prequel version of The End Times.

• Like 1