AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

1 minute ago, AthelLoren said:

Actually, nothing says that Durthu can't be your general so far. Rules say that Sylvaneth models gain the CoS allegiance, and they aren't allies, so they are as legitimate an option as a Nomad Prince.

Yes that's true, but then I would have to spend points on generic battleline rather than have SotW or EG or WWR, which I'll be taking anyway.

I don't think there is a lot of incentive to bring SC or SE as your general. The battleline unlocks of something like a Wanderer general are much more beneficial than just a command trait buff. If you want to build a list around a teleporting Durthu then a Sylvaneth army can do that a lot better. 

I feel like 3 units of 20 Wildwood rangers as batteline in deepstrike is absolutely terrifying. A single unit can kill monster characters like Nagash  in one round of combat. 

Living City escaped being corraled into a subforum with the other Cities. Quick, run amok!

But seriously though, can I get some painting advice? I saw this picture this morning and I love the way the Wildwood Rangers look, but I'm unsure how they were painted! (The colors used, I mean) If I could get any advice I'd love to hear it!

AoSFreeCitiesTerrain-Oct3-LivingCityTerrain2hhcdg.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Aipaca said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets an FAQ to disallow charging after the move.

The Living City is an ambushing City, that's its schtik.  It would be slightly ridiculous to alter it.  Yes it is a good ability, but I don't think it's that bonkers.  Now, sending 30 Sisters of the Watch across a Soulscream Bridge at 24" range, loosing their bows twice, then retreating back over the bridge - is that bonkers?

If the FAQ is going anywhere, then it's going to Hallowheart.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

The Living City is an ambushing City, that's its schtik.  It would be slightly ridiculous to alter it.  Yes it is a good ability, but I don't think it's that bonkers.  Now, sending 30 Sisters of the Watch across a Soulscream Bridge at 24" range, loosing their bows twice, then retreating back over the bridge - is that bonkers?

Wait.....what??

• Haha 1

I'm wondering if it possible to get double bombs from using the command ability on a unit of gyro bombers. fly over the enemy, shoot and then fly back. The warscroll says 'normal move' which seems to be the same as the command ability. It might be difficult to actually do because of move 12 and needing to be 9 away. Wildform and/cogs would probably be needed. But it would be fun to pull off occasionally if the rules allow. 

1 hour ago, Dr Ben said:

I'm wondering if it possible to get double bombs from using the command ability on a unit of gyro bombers. fly over the enemy, shoot and then fly back. The warscroll says 'normal move' which seems to be the same as the command ability. It might be difficult to actually do because of move 12 and needing to be 9 away. Wildform and/cogs would probably be needed. But it would be fun to pull off occasionally if the rules allow. 

Don't see why not, the wording says "after this unit has made a normal move" have to wait and see what the command ability wording is.

7 hours ago, Aelfric said:

From what I read it's not possible the bridge function only in the movement phase as x description, so u can teleport and then retreat only of your normal movement. 

2 hours ago, Arael said:

From what I read it's not possible the bridge function only in the movement phase as x description, so u can teleport and then retreat only of your normal movement. 

Looks like you're right, only usable in the movement phase.  Still a useful teleporting method to allow units like SotW to still use their special abilities.   Apart from the hidden paths, this and the Soulseeker endless spell are our only teleport options as far as I can tell and the Bridge is the better of the two.

I was rootling in some old boxes of models looking for a Human wizard and came across two old metal Dwarf wizards from the days when Dwarves could be wizards.  So I'm thinking I'll use them as Collegiate Arcane Wizards of short stature bowed down by the weight of their knowledge.  They must be pretty old, judging from the paint job.  Now I don't know whether to leave them as is as a reminder of times gone by or to give them an up-date.

• Like 1

digging through my models as well. Back in the dark days of first edition, I bought the sky cutter for the Sea Captain with banner, and was going to be playing with reavers spamming arrows. I ended up not doing most of the list, but I found my sea captain, took off his banner, and gave him his trident. He's pretty much an anointed, though the anointed has no shield. 

I found some of the Isle of Blood swordmasters I had, planning to use them as greatswords. I need to make a free Aelf General with sword to be their hero, since I have a few bodies not in use, since I don't plan to make the sky cutter any time soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMuphinMan said:

the command ability to move after shooting didnt seem to take into consideration the often forgoten extremis chamber. the dracoth guard units have a 12" shooting attack and the drakesworn templar can have a bow so both of those could get set up for a 3" charge on the first turn. 

There are plenty of things like this.  I mean you can even bring Alarielle and have her move up 16" or come in from behind and summon a treelord, then both shoot and have her use the ability twice by buying another and them charge 1st turn with both.