AoS 2 - Living City Discussion

AthelLoren

Edited for conciseness because the initial post was corny. This is a spot to discuss the Living City in all its facets and tactical depth - listbuilding, tournament results, theorycrafting, etc.

May the alliance between Alarielle and Sigmar grow bountiful and bear much fruit.Image result for Living City Aos

Edited by AthelLoren
  • Like 3

RAW you can have 50% CoS, 25% SE and 25% Sylvaneth.

I think the living city has the best spell lore of all the cities and the combo between drycha and the generic command ability is awesome. Tree revenants offer a nice ability for their low cost.

However  think the biggest issue is the CP generation.  Not battle trait, command trait or artefact gives you any CP. The batalion is barely ok in my opinion so I wouldn't count on it for a 'free' CP.

Ironoak Artisan is great on an Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix but you lose the ability to gain a CP on a 4+ if he's your general instead of a regular anointed+sorceress. Imagine facing a phoenix with a 2+/4++ and -2 to be wounded.

If you play a phoenix and/or phoenix guards, a sorceress with +2 to cast the emerald lifeswarm is a must have.

The base of my list will probably be:

- Anointed (general with Druid of the Everspring)

- sorceress + 10 or more darkshards for her ability

- Anointed on frostheart phoenix

- 2x30 phoenix guards

- emerald lifeswarm

(500 points remaining)

I will make some tests with this list but Hammerhal may end up being better than the living city for me. The phoenicium looks pretty weak.

Edited by spenson

2 minutes ago, smartazjb0y said:

Nice that's quite a lot of variety. I'll probably go closer to 70% CoS, 5% SCE and 25% Sylvaneth since I wanna have just a bunch of Aelves, but having one or two SCE units would be cool. 

You can cheat a bit since it's the number of units, not the points value. However it's a shame that SE and Sylbaneth can't target units outside their allegiance. 

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

Could you tell me where you found this? Information is a bit fractured at the moment.

There are a few review videos on youtube (e.g. Guerilla Miniature Games and miniwargaming). You can also check the 1D4 chan page but I'd rather trust the videos since you can see what's actually written on the page.

1 minute ago, spenson said:

You can cheat a bit since it's the number of units, not the points value. However it's a shame that SE and Sylbaneth can't target units outside their allegiance. 

There are a few review videos on youtube (e.g. Guerilla Miniature Games and miniwargaming). You can also check the 1D4 chan page but I'd rather trust the videos since you can see what's actually written on the page.

Yeah if I remember right, in the videos (I don't remember if we could actually read the page, but based on what they were saying out loud) I don't think the Living City trait or whatever that lets you bring in Sylvaneth had any language that was like "these would replace the Stormcast units you can bring in" or whatever. 

I think a lot of people are sleeping on the LC battalion's potency - between the banners and the battalion ability, you are looking at tactically inserting 3 groups of elite, monster-mulching infantry and a band of angry bros on deer directly into your opponent's back lines that will make their charges on 7s, which is an average roll.  And, you'll have a hero who is no slouch, either, and can issue command abilities to make sure you get in and maximize your offensive power.

You could potentially combine this with A big Sylvaneth threat, like Durthu or Drycha, or a bunch of sword Kurnoth, and have a giant pile of nonsense which can threaten their army at pretty much all times, forcing them to be defensive or lose their backline.

With a few units of Shadow Warriors, and you basically threaten everything part of the field at all times, which means your opponent has to play to hedge you out at all times - which means they are being defensive already.

You could tank up on durable models like EG with SotT support to hold the line, and also get some SotW for strong shooting power - and you'd have room for more Kurnoth - even more Kurnoth, or a big pile of Spite-Revenants, or something else appealing. (30 Spites for 200 and Drycha sounds pretty good to me, personally) There's also the option of a Battlemage on Gryphon for mobile spell support.

I think it's possible to make a really scary mobile list that will make it very hard for your opponent to plan for your movement or attack vectors, and force them to withhold a lot of their forces to hold objectives for fear of losing them all in your first or second turn.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, overtninja said:

I think a lot of people are sleeping on the LC battalion's potency - between the banners and the battalion ability, you are looking at tactically inserting 3 groups of elite, monster-mulching infantry and a band of angry bros on deer directly into your opponent's back lines that will make their charges on 7s, which is an average roll.  And, you'll have a hero who is no slouch, either, and can issue command abilities to make sure you get in and maximize your offensive power.

You could potentially combine this with A big Sylvaneth threat, like Durthu or Drycha, or a bunch of sword Kurnoth, and have a giant pile of nonsense which can threaten their army at pretty much all times, forcing them to be defensive or lose their backline.

With a few units of Shadow Warriors, and you basically threaten everything part of the field at all times, which means your opponent has to play to hedge you out at all times - which means they are being defensive already.

You could tank up on durable models like EG with SotT support to hold the line, and also get some SotW for strong shooting power - and you'd have room for more Kurnoth - even more Kurnoth, or a big pile of Spite-Revenants, or something else appealing. (30 Spites for 200 and Drycha sounds pretty good to me, personally) There's also the option of a Battlemage on Gryphon for mobile spell support.

I think it's possible to make a really scary mobile list that will make it very hard for your opponent to plan for your movement or attack vectors, and force them to withhold a lot of their forces to hold objectives for fear of losing them all in your first or second turn.

Yeah, I was looking at Greywater Fastness, but Ironweld artillery just seems too bad. Living City is the next option, and though it is more expensive for me, looks to be the way forward. As a fourth city though, not higher in the priority list. I would then have

• Really fast movers and Gotrek from Tempest's Eye
  • Unpredictable movement and teleporting shenanigans (as well as a lot of healing) from the Living City
  • Lots of spellcasting with an infantry core from Hallowheart
  • Heavy inf and heavy cav from Hammerhal

(with some sideboarding between the cities)

I'm really looking forward to the book and forming a Living City army.  It'll be mainly Wanderers, as that is what I have on the whole, with a sprinkling of other Aelves and some Sylvaneth.  I'm already tempted to get Alarielle - think She might be good at deepstriking with the paths and then summoning some Kurnoths 9" away.  She also has a shooting attack, which (I think) means She can move after shooting for a 3" charge.  Not sure if summoned Sylvaneth will get the Cities of Sigmar and Living City keywords, but if so, you could do the same with summoned Bow Hunters - or leave them there to pepper the enemy, depending on what they're facing. 

It seems there are so many ways to play - very exciting!

If you haven’t seen this, here you can get pretty much all the rules: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Age_of_Sigmar/Tactics/Order/Cities_of_Sigmar#City_Allegiance:_The_Living_City_.28Ghyran.29

I played my first 1250pt game yesterday against Nurgle for some narrative flavour. I just put in the list what I had, so not really tailored. We played the one battleplan where only heros and battleline take objectives which made it hard after going second. Was a close game, but I lost. I think Living City can be awesome and there are a lot of options, but I think I have to play a lot of games to get good.

My list was:

Nomad Prince General with Iron Oak Artisan Command Trait and Spear of the Hunt artifact
Sorceress with Life Surge spell (didn’t cast it, only use her build in spell which is awesome, used my Spellweaver model)
Knight-Azyros, sadly only ally, but he is amazing

20x Eternal Guard
10x Sisters of the Watch
5x Wild Riders
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Swords
10x Shadow Warriors (used my Glade Guard models)

Command Point

7 hours ago, martinwolf said:

Nomad Prince General with Iron Oak Artisan Command Trait and Spear of the Hunt artifact

Sorceress with Life Surge spell (didn’t cast it, only use her build in spell which is awesome, used my Spellweaver model)
Knight-Azyros, sadly only ally, but he is amazing

20x Eternal Guard
10x Sisters of the Watch
5x Wild Riders
3x Kurnoth Hunters with Swords
10x Shadow Warriors (used my Glade Guard models)

Command Point

Is there anything about the list you'd change?

1 hour ago, Thalassic Monstrosity said:

Is there anything about the list you'd change?

You might get some milage out of a bigger monster hero with a shooty attack - you could infiltrate with the City ability, shoot, and use the city Command Ability to scoot them right next to your opponent before you lay into them. Recommend Durthu or Drycha for that purpose. Durthu would be a better way to use your artifact, as well.

You might also consider an Emerald Lifeswarm instead of the command point, you could regrow your models that way.

34 minutes ago, overtninja said:

Recommend Durthu or Drycha for that purpose. Durthu would be a better way to use your artifact, as well.

Damn I always forget that the Spirit of Durthu isn't a named hero. The guy will be a beast with a 3+/2+ sword and a base 2+ save. It's a bit of a shame that you waste 2 of his abilities (including +2 attacks on the sword). I suppose there's no way to grow a wildwood outside of the Sylvaneth allegiance.

5 minutes ago, spenson said:

Damn I always forget that the Spirit of Durthu isn't a named hero. The guy will be a beast with a 3+/2+ sword and a base 2+ save. It's a bit of a shame that you waste 2 of his abilities (including +2 attacks on the sword). I suppose there's no way to grow a wildwood outside of the Sylvaneth allegiance.

could bring a TLA and grow one for free, but that's 300 points for a bunch of trees...

I think durthu is too slow. He only moves 5. Even with the command ability you only get to a moderate 10 but then you might as well just use something faster. He hits hard but without the +2 attacks from woods, many things hit harder. Like a general in griffon.

I think it's better to go with drycha for that trick and then put the artifact on a griffon or pheonix.

42 minutes ago, Frowny said:

I think durthu is too slow. He only moves 5. Even with the command ability you only get to a moderate 10 but then you might as well just use something faster. He hits hard but without the +2 attacks from woods, many things hit harder. Like a general in griffon.

I think it's better to go with drycha for that trick and then put the artifact on a griffon or pheonix.

The reason I was thinking of Durthu is that he's got a shooting attack, and he's a hero, so he could infiltrate, shoot, use the command ability on himself to move 6" after shooting to move within 3 of your target, and charge in the same turn. He could also carry an artefact - such as Gyrestrike for 2+/2+. It's the best way to guarantee an unharmed Durthu hitting whatever you want to really hard right in the face from the first turn, which is exactly what you want to do with him.

• Like 3

I was considering getting Alarielle for deep-striking, shoot then move, but realised my budget won't stretch at the mo.  So, I'm considering using a Dreadlord on Black Dragon with a repeater crossbow as I already have the model - would just need slight conversion on rider.  Probably give him Ghyrstrike on an Exile Blade.  He can't be my General as most of my army will be Wanderers, so will need a Nomad Prince for that role.

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

Allarielle is on an absolutely enormous base. I think it's too big to fit within 6 of an edge. That being said, with a 16 inch move she can get there on t1 without it too.

Yeah her base is just slightly larger than 6". You can still fly 32" and charge with a CP if you want.

If you guys are looking for a scary character do deepstrike, I recommend Drycha over Durthu. She is much more reliable since she relies on a high volume of attacks rather than 3 super strong attacks. 

Durthu hits hard, but a lot of his capability comes from his synergy with Wyldwoods and glades. When you take those away, it diminishes his value a bit. 

Durthu has more wounds, but but his bracketting is brutal. If your opponent can get 3 wounds on him his average damage output drops by half.  Drychas bracketing is much less forgiving and she can heal herself with spells. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aelfric said:

I was considering getting Alarielle for deep-striking, shoot then move, but realised my budget won't stretch at the mo.  So, I'm considering using a Dreadlord on Black Dragon with a repeater crossbow as I already have the model - would just need slight conversion on rider.  Probably give him Ghyrstrike on an Exile Blade.  He can't be my General as most of my army will be Wanderers, so will need a Nomad Prince for that role.

Actually, nothing says that Durthu can't be your general so far. Rules say that Sylvaneth models gain the CoS allegiance, and they aren't allies, so they are as legitimate an option as a Nomad Prince.