The Rumour Thread

7 hours ago, sorokyl said:

Don't you guys think that if they were going to make a Darkoath faction they would have given the Darkoath Warqueen a "Darkoath" keyword?   

Also, slaves to darkness has so many models, but no battletome. You think they would do a release for a subfaction of that and leave StD in the dust?  No way. 

If anything, STD gets a battletome and some models. They can all be "Darkoath" themed maybe.  

Didn't the marauder horsemen kit go direct only recently?  

Slaves to Darkness has some really dated models.  The Chaos warriors need a re-sculpt.  They are so iconic, but those models go back, I think, to the early 90's.  

So I hope you are right.  I also hope Slaves to Darkness gets a proper release.  

Darkoath could easily be part of the Slaves of Darkness army.  Could be battalion, allegiant, etc.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

Right, I could see a re-skinning of Slaves to Darkness *as* Darkoath, that might be something they could do.  That seems at least as likely as an interpretation of what's been happening.

It goes with GW's need to have unique names for everything.  Slaves to Darkness, I imagine, just too generic for them.

3 hours ago, Brightstar said:

Didn't the marauder horsemen kit go direct only recently?  

Slaves to Darkness has some really dated models.  The Chaos warriors need a re-sculpt.  They are so iconic, but those models go back, I think, to the early 90's.  

So I hope you are right.  I also hope Slaves to Darkness gets a proper release.  

Darkoath could easily be part of the Slaves of Darkness army.  Could be battalion, allegiant, etc.

Nah, 7th ed for the current warriors, making them 2007ish?

• Thanks 1

I'm not 100% convinced.  Even though it was put up on a Warhammer store FB page, it doesn't "feel" right - not enough branding or polish.

That's not to say we aren't getting a summer campaign (always thought we would with the MP one as early as we got it), but I don't think this video is it - or at least not "the" video.  I'd also be surprised if we went back to individual Grand Alliances, as this highlights that some GA's have a lot more options than others, instead I can see it being options again like we got in Malign Portents.

24 minutes ago, Ritual said:

The video lacks the proper branding and the domain name isn't even registered (seriously, you could go register it right now if you wanted) - so I call shenanigans.

I think this says it all, also, I'm unsure if the theme is really fitting so close to Dread Solstice, it's a bit repetitive. I'm inclined to think that this could just be a local thing, that is, something made and put on by the store.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I think Darkoath may end up being a rebrand for Slaves of Darkness.  Slaves of Darkness seems like a faction where if they put out a full Battletome they may be likely to replace half the kits in the faction with newer ones.  Maybe it ends up just being a name applied to a few heroes, maybe it becomes  a keyword, or it might simply become the name of the allegiance and they drop Slaves of Darkness.

To say something about the Darkoath Theme. After Chieftain and Warqueen can't have a God Keyword, it's also possible that "Darkoath" could become a undefined Mark of Chaos.

This would make more sense than dropping Slaves to Darkness. When was the last time an Allegiance was dropped (when the Grand Alliance Books came out in 2016).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

To say something about the Darkoath Theme. After Chieftain and Warqueen can't have a God Keyword, it's also possible that "Darkoath" could become a undefined Mark of Chaos.

I'm totally fine with this. "Marking" is a hangover from when chaos was mostly just daemons and markable mortals. Now that most gods (soon to be all hopefully) have their own mortals, there's no need for S2D to do it anymore. I'd like to see bray/warherds, monsters, and daemons of chaos folded in too. 

12 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

I'm totally fine with this. "Marking" is a hangover from when chaos was mostly just daemons and markable mortals. Now that most gods (soon to be all hopefully) have their own mortals, there's no need for S2D to do it anymore. I'd like to see bray/warherds, monsters, and daemons of chaos folded in too. 

Sounds great, but just as long as they do this after they fleshen out the Slaanesh mortals selection... 

Blood warriors and blightkings are after all more or less marked chaos warriors, so it would make sense that the general stuff would be the undivided masses. They should hire the guy who made the models for the Adrian Smith Studio McVey game Hate though... :)

• Like 2

While going to my local GW to make a compulsive purchase to avoid killing someone, I saw 6 upcoming minis that I was recommended  not to take à photo of: 2 stormcasts, 2 Nighthaunts and 2 endless spells.

Stormcasts where cool even if half painted and with à colour scheme I am not à fan of. There was one with à big weird mace, and another with à boltgun.

The Nighthaunts where really really nice (I confess I have à thing for undeads). It was one infantry dude and the hero with the burning staff. The paint job was ok and made with New green paint that is more fluorescent than what you see on the pictures .

The endless spells where the axe and the swords. The axe is really huge. Not à ton of détail, but it will look massive on the battlefield

14 minutes ago, Waiyuren said:

This would see everyone still using Slaves in their Monogod armies no longer able to use a good chunk of their army as they used to. Add to that the existing monogod armies, bar maybe Khorne (only really missing Khorgor), are still far from covering all the basics of a classic Chaos armies, and I would want the markable to stick around a bit longer.

I do not think it would be an issue for Slaves to Darkness to contain the old markable ones side by side with new Darkoath units. There already a few factions made from multiple distinct subfactions. We have Monogod armies (daemons, dedicated mortals, marked Slaves), Stormcast with their many Chambers, Ironjawz (real Ironjawz and Ardboys, who are regular ork wannabe Ironjawz).

Markable Slaves and Darkoath both occupy the same niche in the Mortal Realms, the multitude of Chaos Tribes not particularly high in any gods favor, they just represent different kinds of tribes (Those who follow the Darkoath way of Undivided and those of uncertain shifting dedication). Could even be that in the future, Slaves are further expanded by further different kinds of tribes. It would be as if they had made a "Chaos Marauder" army in WHFB and after initially making Norscans, later waves are made of Kurgan and Hung.

It is the variant that gives players the greatest amount of options: Want a pure Darkoath force, you can collect only the new stuff. Want a Darkoath themed force, convert older Slaves to fit the look. Want a classic host of Chaos Warriors undivided, they are still around and you can convert the new Darkoath to fit their look. Want your own themed tribe, convert everything. Want your Monogod army build around classical Chaos Warriors, that option stays as well. Want a vast Mortal horde gathered from disparate tribes, Slaves can do that as well.

Everything else would be taking options away just for the sake of it all "looking tidier". It is what they did initially with splitting the old armies on the transition to AoS and then "enforcing" the split by favoring faction armies over GA armies in the rules. And I would not exactly call that one of the better received parts of AoS.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

Everything else would be taking options away just for the sake of it all "looking tidier". It is what they did initially with splitting the old armies on the transition to AoS and then "enforcing" the split by favoring faction armies over GA armies in the rules. And I would not exactly call that one of the better received parts of AoS.

I find this fascinating, as splitting my old armies and then rebasing and filling them out into playable factions has been by far my favourite part of AoS!

• Haha 1

It has been said that after summer maybe sylvaneth and ironjawz will have an update or something and I was thinking if that update will be like new models for the actual units or new unseen units? 

I know this can't be known by now but maybe someone knows something like ironjawz with crossbows or maybe sylvaneth with shields, or will the actual army units stay like this forever.

Something similar has been said too about KO.  And if someone is reading from GW please give wanderers his forestal Dragon, they are the only ancient elves that have lost his dragons... meh :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AsraiR said:

6th under Storm of Chaos, they were revised to match the metal Knights from early 6th. So 2004.

Compared to blood warriors they seem like they are from the 90's. I dont see why we dont have themed warriors like they do for chaos marines in 40k.

6 hours ago, Rogue Explorator said:

This would see everyone still using Slaves in their Monogod armies no longer able to use a good chunk of their army as they used to. 

I do not think it would be an issue for Slaves to Darkness to contain the old markable ones side by side with new Darkoath units. 

I get that; the only non-slaves to darkness units i own are gaunt summoners and a lord of change... It would make my "Tzeentch" army unplayable. Here's a compromise; keep the ability to mark, but not have the marks confer any special rules beyond the ability to count as core units instead of allies. That way GW can devote time and effort to making the units a little better, without worrying about balancing them against themselves...

I still want those other factions folded in though. ?