The Rumour Thread

29 minutes ago, Roostmanuva said:

Pretty sure, one of the warhammertv  guys hinted at points per model again in the comments today. On the second stream I think.

Feels like a step backwords to Warhammer Fantasy (just with round bases...). We already got artifacts and more special rules for factions. If we would go back to points per models, the simplicity of calculating armylists disappears - just don´t like the direction adding more complexity.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Johann said:

Feels like a step backwords to Warhammer Fantasy (just with round bases...). We already got artifacts and more special rules for factions. If we would go back to points per models, the simplicity of calculating armylists disappears - just don´t like the direction adding more complexity.

+1

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

On an FB Eldar group some people were able to identify the rule as a warlock or farseer one.

might still be elves and just tying the lore closer to eachother... he said hopefully and not really believing it himself. 

46 minutes ago, Johann said:

Although I am against the rule bloating that seems to be a trend, I think that points per model is one thing that is really positive.

With a calculator in hand (don't we all when armylisting?), I have a hard time figuring out how is point per model more complexe (unless some simple additions and multiplications seem insurmountable, which I doubt). In exchange, we can FINALLY use the number of models we want without feeling underpowered by the rules, like paying for a 10 man unit when you only have 8 models.

The whole system till now passively induced you to play a determined number of models per unit and eventually, to buy more models just to fit the rules. The liberty offered by per model points is great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I didn't mind it.  Until Tzaangors.  Now everyone will take just the optimal max special weapons and that's that.

I'm confident more than ever that they can handle such a transition.

6 minutes ago, VBS said:

Although I am against the rule bloating that seems to be a trend, I think that points per model is one thing that is really positive.

With a calculator in hand (don't we all when armylisting?), I have a hard time figuring out how is point per model more complexe (unless some simple additions and multiplications seem insurmountable, which I doubt). In exchange, we can FINALLY use the number of models we want without feeling underpowered by the rules, like paying for a 10 man unit when you only have 8 models.

The whole system till now passively induced you to play a determined number of models per unit and eventually, to buy more models just to fit the rules. The liberty offered by per model points is great.

Have you ever waited while someone builds a list that way? I prefer everything on building blocks the way it is now by far.

23 minutes ago, Dez said:

Have you ever waited while someone builds a list that way? I prefer everything on building blocks the way it is now by far.

Well, I never waited someone. They like.... bring their armylists ready (???). And if they need a few extra minutes for the list, I'd just shrug. I'm not in a hurry when dedicating time to toy soldiers. So it goes.

Also a change to per point mini from the usual 3/5/10/20 man blocks we have now would simply imply minimal elementary-level calculations, which is why this change being "complexe" remains a mystery to me (and I suck at math, Sigmar bless calculators :P ).

I do however dislike paying 120 points when I want to bring my 7 wardancers, instead of the logical 84 points.

• Like 2

Not really surprised if points per model come back into the fold.

There's been a lot of complaints for some armies about "I can't fill in my last 40/60 points", and it can shoehorn you into taking certain heroes to make sure you get as close to 2000 as you possibly can.

I also feel it doesn't add on a huge amount of complexity, and perhaps may even be better for the game. 

It will be interesting to see if it does come about, and if so, how far they take it. It could be as simple as current, you just divide your base cost by models to equal points (Although, then you get fractions sometimes). It could be more complicated, such as your base unit costs 100 points, but each additional model costs 12 points (Taking into account for units that get better as they get bigger).

It also makes sense when you have to make some of your characters from the same box as a unit. Flesheater Courts for example, make a lot of their hero level characters by taking a model from the unit box and dolling it up a little. If you currently say create a Crypt Infernal Courtier, well now you're down one of your Flayers and needing to take an undersized unit/upgrade.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VBS said:

I agree. I am very anti-complex rules. But I am more anti-strict unit sizes. I hate buying 16 models and wondering whether I should even build and paint one of them, or trying to convert a model to a hero, such as crypt ghouls, and never ending up with the right number of models.

Personally I'm not a fan of all the artifacts and whatnot but AoS got too confusing for me long ago. I just casually paint now.

6 hours ago, Dez said:

If anything a points per model system would make list building quicker. When you get close to finishing a list and you have X amount of points left over you can simply add extra models to a unit, rather than reworking the entire thing to fit the current set point amounts.

There will still be minimum model counts in a unit and I imagine no point costs for taking items or abilities like there was in fantasy. All this will do is allow people to use the models they already own without overpaying to use them or leaving some out. You could still pay for your units in clumps if you really wanted too.

I can't see how this could be a bad thing for anyone.

• Like 2

In 40k there is going to be two point systems - a "Power" point which is what we have in AoS that represents an approximate power value of a unit and then a much more granular system where everything is pointed for use in Matched Play - so weapons, individual models etc.

If they did this with AoS (which I think they will), I think we'll see people playing a lot more narrative using power points for their casual/club games, without restrictions like the rule of one.  Matched play will become the norm for people playing tournaments and people practising.  I'm genuinely excited if this does happen :)

• Like 2

If they do points per model they should do points per upgrade as well, so we'll be back to micro min maxing for optimum points efficiency... I really dont see the need, but if its what list builders want then fair enough.

As a counterbalance id like to see more battalions without points values, and maybe some warscrolls for named heroes like Vandus or Gardus that just use the regular model with a tweak for narrative purposes. I think narrative allows for a lot more creativity than matched and would be keen to see the new GHB/narrative book series cater to this.

20 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

the Black Gobbo! It's a grot with his arm arched backwards and a golden beak-thingy on his nose

"I remember your Gom Jabbar, now you remember mine: I can kill with a sneeze."

is what the Black Gobbo might say if he was in Dune, but he isn't so I'll shut up.

• Like 1