The Rumour Thread

28 minutes ago, SirSalabean said:

But slaanesh being crab claws and cows confuses me you’d think maybe snakes would make more sense idk. Tzeench is just caw

Yeah it had more snake elements in it in ye olden days. Don’t know what the claw thing is either. 

I don’t get the tzeentch bird affection either. For a god that’s all about mutation and change.... he’s got a very recognisable M.O.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Yeah it had more snake elements in it in ye olden days. Don’t know what the claw thing is either. 

I don’t get the tzeentch bird affection either. For a god that’s all about mutation and change.... he’s got a very recognisable M.O.

Yeah I’m not a chaos person but I would be if tzeentch was more something cooler? More recognisable like khorne is standard demon, nurgle is mutated people and disease. The rest just seem not bad but as you say not recognisable. 

Despite Tzeentch being about change it is not entirely based around mutation and bodily change. Screamers and Flamers have solidified and recognizable forms much like the Lord of Change. As for the use of bird motifs, many birds are highly intelligent and have often functioned as familiars to witches and cunning folk they are also tied to predictions and omens such as in augury.  Birds do represent change in a more subtle way as they migrate and behave differently with the seasons but more directly have historical real world ties to magic.

Slaanesh has always been about juxtaposition of beauty and abjection. They take an elegant profile and then put a strange uncanny head on top, or a pair of massive claws on the end of the arms. The claws have always seemed highly phallic but also extremely dangerous. As for the cow-thing as someone mentioned before it seems to tie into the fear of worshiping false idols in Abrhamic faiths, but in terms of a more diegetic explanation it seems to be a corruption of the Lumineth animistic faith.

Nurgle is the most successful at showcasing its theme aesthetically, although I personally find the idea of ruptured internal organs tying into a defensive playstyle to be somewhat at odds. 

I think from a design perspective all of the gods make sense, but I personally feel Khorne's 'traditional' demons have always seemed unimaginative by comparison to the other gods. I think that bloodletters actually don't even seem very functional for their purpose of war as they are somewhat gaunt and spindly I feel like a bog standard Chaos Warrior is much more menacing and warlike. 

And since they never come up I like the aesthetic of undivided demons the best. Demon Princes and Furies are not tied to a specific concept so fitting a more generic form of demonhood suits them better than Khorne imo. I also think the Soulgrinder is really neat but also looks much more appropriate for 40k sadly (I am still interested in getting one as I typically play undivided and love me some demons). 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 9

Slaanesh is basically Satan/Devil, it's kinda on the nose in my opinion, his ringed realm dealing with cardinal sins (minus wrath cause khorne, but it seems syll might be taking the vengeance aspect going by their story.), his sacred number is six and his sacred animal has bovine elements. Many tribes in both fantasy, AOS and 40k use snake motifs for him. Also Neverchosen covered the beauty part. 

Edited by shinros
  • Like 5

Just now, shinros said:

Slaanesh is basically Satan/Devil, it's kinda on the nose in my opinion, his ringed realm dealing with cardinal sins (minus wrath cause khorne, but it seems syll might be taking the vengeance role), his sacred number is six and his sacred animal has bovine elements. Many tribes in both fantasy, AOS and 40k use snake motifs for him. Also Neverchosen covered the beauty part. 

Also isn't one of Slaanesh's monikers "the Dark Prince". That is a pretty damn blatant allusion.

• Like 3

Just now, Neverchosen said:

Also isn't one of Slaanesh's monikers "the Dark Prince". That is a pretty damn blatant allusion.

Yup. Slaanesh also tends to like using pride to corrupt people as well. It's why I find Slaanesh fascinating because he has so many layers, hence why in my opinion the new mortal range is exploring the many avenues of excess instead of sticking with one theme like some of the other gods. I've seen some people comment that the Lord of Pain doesn't fit the faction, due to the myrmidesh, but that's the point, they follow a different excess. Anyway, I'm going to stop now before I start rambling again.   

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

In all of the Chaos chat I missed the rumour engine and the ongoing development of Malerion as the totality of all rumour engines. Malerion has clearly been reforged and is now Sigmalerion we are now playing Age of Sigmalerion hence the abundance of recent Aelven armies.

I do think that every SCE looking rumour engine makes me hope for Devouted of Sigmar but instead expect a new edition. It could be something Seraphon or 40k related but I am leaning towards SCE due to the celestial theme and the make not matching the artifact feel of many Seraphon trinkets. I also assume that a new chamber will have new iconography? 

Edited by Neverchosen

My first thought was Seraphon too, but on closer inspection its actually far too gothic to be an artefact of the lizardmen. The few Aztec cues like the sun and the rays don't really carry through the actual staff. There is no serpent motif, instead a more mechanical feel. I'd say its a 40K item, much as I'd love more stuff for my beloved lizzies.

4 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

what's weird is that this image is 100% from the already revealed Slaanesh units https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/mPBpwHAJWBMd4QCe.png

so I guess that means this calendar can include things already shown :/ ?

I think it was a mistake - probably one they won't repeat. Either someone in their comms has a folder of all rumour engines they've shown and all to go, and they've forgot to move that one into 'already shown' and it ended up in the calendar. 

Or the calendar was made well in advance and they've pushed forward the Slaanesh reveal.

Or they just forgot they've already shown it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

I think Mortal Slaanesh will probably be the Xmas reveal.

I always think reveals like this, when we basically know about it a good month in advance, just ring a little hollow.

I think we’ll see them before that. Some of the new stuff at least is in the Chaos Warcry book that comes out on Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Still-young said:

I think we’ll see them before that. Some of the new stuff at least is in the Chaos Warcry book that comes out on Saturday. 

Yeah, unless Slaanesh is getting a ridiculous number of models that can't fit in Warcry, we'd know most of the models before they 'announced' them.

10 minutes ago, Squigy_Boy said:

Thats just Karthaen one of the modes from the kurnothi side of the beastgrave starter set not nw models unfortunately

1 hour ago, BarfAtTheMoon said:

Kurnothi?

From the newest community article on underworlds

Screenshot_20201207-141810_Chrome.jpg

Looks like the slightly retardec cross between Lion-O and Baron Harkonnen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Squigy_Boy said:

Thats just Karthaen one of the modes from the kurnothi side of the beastgrave starter set not nw models unfortunately

If you can show me the model you mean, i'll believe you...but i just looked at the kurnothi warband from the set and there are definitely zero models that look like that.  Sorry, i'll need further convincing.

If you look at the whole picture, the card below it also depicts a figure in strange bone armour (and different design).

The two explanations I can think of are

1. New warband, possibly the silent people? The green icon on the future slate that I assumed was for bonesplitterz might be them.

2. That's one of the Kurnothi, Direchasm is gonna feature prominent armour upgrades that look like that. Okay yeah it's this.

rBVUIl1vEYXvCIEy.jpg

Edited by Klamm

2 hours ago, BarfAtTheMoon said:

If you can show me the model you mean, i'll believe you...but i just looked at the kurnothi warband from the set and there are definitely zero models that look like that.  Sorry, i'll need further convincing.

60010799007_ENGWHUBGCoreGame02.jpg

WHUGettingStarted Dec07 bonusCards84h3 Karthean is the one in the centre back of the group of models. in the card image his name is used for the quote, but in the image he doesnt have his normal gear but the lore on the card seems to say to he's not acting normal probably as many people have said aunique beastgrave armour.