The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I’m sorry but does anyone have any rumors regarding AOS, TOW, or even 40K? Not that I don’t like pseudo-philosophical debates about the hobby….. but this is the rumor thread.

You say you want rumours but scroll up and you'll see pseudo-philosophical debate about do we even agree what a rumour is?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

I’m sorry but does anyone have any rumors regarding AOS, TOW, or even 40K? Not that I don’t like pseudo-philosophical debates about the hobby….. but this is the rumor thread.

Such debates are the best part of this thread. Like, seriously - does anyone really gets excited with the WarCom rumour engine pictures or speculating if this Warcry bands is released before that one?

30 minutes ago, Twisted Firaun said:

This honestly has always been the general chat for AoS. MODs just keep it as the rumor thread so they can curve conversations with their MOD power when conversation goes out of bond lol gotta keep that power.

1 hour ago, EntMan said:

You say you want rumours but scroll up and you'll see pseudo-philosophical debate about do we even agree what a rumour is?

45 minutes ago, Flippy said:

Such debates are the best part of this thread. Like, seriously - does anyone really gets excited with the WarCom rumour engine pictures or speculating if this Warcry bands is released before that one?

35 minutes ago, novakai said:

This honestly has always been the general chat for AoS. MODs just keep it as the rumor thread so they can curve conversations with their MOD power when conversation goes out of bond lol gotta keep that power.

All three of you are correct, it just seems like there should've been some random leak by now, especially since we're so close to a reveal day.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Flippy said:

people who focus more on the rules, the meta and the list building have more healthy approach to the hobby.

Forgive me if I missed your sarcasm but I'm not so sure people who focus on the meta have a healthy approach to the hobby either; especially since it involves buying more things to follow it

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Mutton said:

I'd argue they're not good or fun either. What's fun about making you and the opponent strike last? Or losing -1 to hit? Now add @EntMan's suggestion and make them able to slam a monster into an enemy unit--THAT'S fun.

Exactly.

To me rules should be interesting, fitting to the unit and fun (to both players if possible). They also should not feel like cheating.

concerning the power of a rule: It should be decent, yet not devestating (Bad example: Teclis, Skarbrand, any MW spam in general)

To me AoS currently has way too many powerful rules, extreme damage spikes and a ton of rules that are plainly unfun just for the sake of adding power to an army or model (naked Kragnos with his 2+ save, miscasting Nagash, Bounty Hunters Battallion, Incarnates) or rules that don’t fit to what the model should represent (Vampires, the big Stormcast Dragons, Chaos Knights etc.)

on too of it most new Battletomes are mostly reprints that don’t tackle any of the bad rules and that don’t add anything significant really.

🤷🏼‍♂️
To get to the point: Imo the reason fir this is that GW is trying to cater to the competitive community, that creates rules that are no longer fun to their previous customers (like me)

3 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Forgive me if I missed your sarcasm but I'm not so sure people who focus on the meta have a healthy approach to the hobby either; especially since it involves buying more things to follow it

I start a new army every week, have a wardrobe full of half-finished projects, haven't had a game of warhammer in nine years. Don't tell me I'm not having fun!

Edited by Jagged Red Lines
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

For sure. I want to say one last thing before I get back on topic, though. I think for non-competitive players of fairly skill-rewarding games (games without huge random swings), Johnny is probably the most common player type. People who want to do clever stuff but don't primarily care about winning or competition are, in my opinion, exactly the kinds of people drawn to complex strategy games with a casual player base. I think the difference between the guy who just wants to show up, roll some dice and have a good time (Timmy) and the guy who spends forever tayloring his list to do very specific things that are uniquely his own (Johnny) is real enough that the distinction is useful.

Now you have me thinking about colour identities of AoS armies again. I will have to make a contentious list at some point.

Mtg colors AoS armies

Order
CoS five color too many options
DoK b/r
Fs r
Idk u/w
Ko r/u/w
LRL g/u/w
Ser r/u/w
SCE w - artifacts
Sylv b/g/u

Chaos
BoC g/r
BoK b/r
Dot b/u/w
Hos b/r/u
Mon b/g
Rats 5 color all clans all mana yes yes
S2d b + allied legion colors re commander rules

Destruction
Bonesplitters g/r
Ironjaws b/r
Kruleboyz b/g/r
Big waagh b/g/r/I
Gutbusters b/r/g
Beastclaw raiders r/g/u
Gitz b/r/u
SoBs r

Death
FEC b/r
OBR b/w
Sbgl b/r/w
Nh b/u

21 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

To me rules should be interesting, fitting to the unit and fun (to both players if possible). They also should not feel like cheating.

Take in mind that moving models from the enemy army can be one of the worst NPE ever. That can be even worst if the game is structured around capturing objectives.

I love Malifaux's Lure and Obey, but we had 3 editions before this abilities didn't feel like cheating. Not sure if GW can write a rule like that without breaking it... 

• Like 1

I know my great unclean one would absolutely hate to get slammed. Considering base sizes the mega gargant could undo like two turns of movement on a single 3+. Seems like a pretty strong ability to me especially considering you can use it to get an enemy monster engaged with another gargant.

Also keep in mind that if it's the SoB turn then in a 1 on 1 combat 'Beast Grapple' effectively gives the gargant always fight first as the active player gets to pick the first 'fights last' unit. Also pretty strong honestly. 

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Beliman said:

Take in mind that moving models from the enemy army can be one of the worst NPE ever. That can be even worst if the game is structured around capturing objectives.

I love Malifaux's Lure and Obey, but we had 3 editions before this abilities didn't feel like cheating. Not sure if GW can write a rule like that without breaking it... 

Moving enemy models is abysmal when it comes to infantry, since theres so many models.

Its not too bad if its a single model.

• Like 1

I feel tomorrow is going to be an interesting day as I am still adamant that the plan was to show off 10th Edition alongside the 35th anniversary but that delays have changed plans. But usually as an AOS fan the excitement of 40k reveals are for the proxy and conversion potential on display. Maybe some World Eater reveals will have potential but I feel like the focus will be primarily on Imperial Guard. But wouldn't Khorngors be cool?!
gw-99110201179-0.jpg
Even though I am starting to dip my toes into the sci-fi world I will always be more partial to our Fantasy side of things. With that in mind I am still curious to see how far off the 35th celebration is from the 10th release as a potential metric for seeing how things have been delayed. Because otherwise I feel like 35th anniversary seems like an arbitrary and strange anniversary to dedicate an entire reveal for. Especially as 40K's 40th anniversary is clearly the best one to make into a massive event.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I feel tomorrow is going to be an interesting day as I am still adamant that the plan was to show off 10th Edition alongside the 35th anniversary but that delays have changed plans. But usually as an AOS fan the excitement of 40k reveals are for the proxy and conversion potential on display. Maybe some World Eater reveals will have potential but I feel like the focus will be primarily on Imperial Guard. But wouldn't Khorngors be cool?!
gw-99110201179-0.jpg
Even though I am starting to dip my toes into the sci-fi world I will always be more partial to our Fantasy side of things. With that in mind I am still curious to see how far off the 35th celebration is from the 10th release as a potential metric for seeing how things have been delayed. Because otherwise I feel like 35th anniversary seems like an arbitrary and strange anniversary to dedicate an entire reveal for. Especially as 40K's 40th anniversary is clearly the best one to make into a massive event.

Yes, but that's 5 years away lol. 

I'm sure 40 years of 40k will be massive but why not make a song and dance out of the 35th anniversary, after all it is an impressive milestone. 

I can't see 10th Ed being announced tomorrow or that ever being the case as there are still 9th Ed books to come and if its not coming until next summer that's a massive lead time. 

I'm hoping next year there is a big celebration of 40 years of warhammer, it would be the perfect time to release The Old World. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jaskier said:

I'm honestly more excited for two man-reads-books tonight, Lumineth and Sons both should be very interesting reads. 

How do I find man-reads-book? Is that the guy's name on YouTube?

When I search YouTube for 'man reads book Warhammer' it comes up with a channel/person called Glass Half Dead, is that the one?

8 minutes ago, EntMan said:

How do I find man-reads-book? Is that the guy's name on YouTube?

When I search YouTube for 'man reads book Warhammer' it comes up with a channel/person called Glass Half Dead, is that the one?

guerilla miniatures i think

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

If it involves compulsive buying to follow the meta then you are obviously right. I think you can simply enjoy meta analysis, tournament reports and list building discussions - and the added benefit is that you don’t care that much about the new releases.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bosskelot said:

As expected, the Lumineth book is mostly minor tweaks to warscrolls and allegiance abilities.

Very hard to get excited about playing this new edition with my army and paying £32.50 on new hardback books when there's barely anything that changes in the rules.

Bear in mind that you also need to pay the £32.50 if you want to see your rules in the app ☹️

Edited by EntMan
  • Sad 1