The Rumour Thread

AoS has 4 battletomes in the pipeline and a new GHB due in 4 months time, and all they could show us was… 1 model from 1 of those 4 (which admittedly is a cool model), and a campaign book that might be relevant for all of 2 months before we move out of Ghur with some nebulous “battle packs for every mode of play.”

Oh and a repackaged terrain box that doesn’t block line of sight.

Pretty underwhelming and seems to lend credence to the rumour that aos is on life support.

To be fair there wasn’t much for 40k either, but even AoS somehow missed the low bar of “just show off codex covers.”

• Like 1

• Subscriber

The Thondia book looks interesting. Anything Ghur flavoured I'm all in for, so having some more back story to flesh the realm out is very welcome. 

The Incarnate looks like a cool concept and is timed well as I've almost finished the FW version. 

Updated Path to Glory rules is welcome, the previous ones were perfect for inspiring all sorts of weird and wonderful conversions.

Nighthaunt seem to have broken the trend of book+hero, with some very nice looking new units. Not my army, but very happy for the Nighthaunt players. 

As someone who has been waiting for the HH preview, I was hoping they'd show off more of the box set, but it's good to know it's finally on it's way. 

I'll be checking the bits sites once that Chaos Knight is released as a great source of vultures to go with my Orruks...

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1

This preview went in all kinds of directions imho.

Lets talk about negatives first:
- I dont care about Necromunda/Bloodbowl and HH. So a big part of the reveal wasnt aimed at me this time around.
- The Underworlds reveal was also a bit boring. The last zombie release is still fresh in my mind and i'm not really hyped about alternate sculpts already. Was hoping for a glimpse at the next warband but we will have to wait. 
- I dont get who the Thondia book is for. Is it a narrative play book? Are we still getting the GHB? Can i get parts of terrain? This raised a bunch of questions for me.

Positives:
-I loved the Chaos Knights and trailer, they looked awesome. 
-CSM trailer was genius. Laughed so hard at the wound thing.
-Nighthaunt model is awesome, we finally know what the boat RE looks like. I already know what to ask for Christmas this year. (i havent played Elden Ring but this isnt based on that game. Its based on Charon from Greek mythology. That is likely based on Aken from ancient Egyptian mythology)
Hype!

Edited by Iksdee
  • Confused 1

HELL YES.

A new Narrative book was all I wanted and it's what I got!! And set in Ghur as well!? I thought the Incarnate was a cool mini and the terrain looked amazing but once they announced that book I was hyped as hell. I cant wait to see where the narrative is going and the hints within that will tell us more of the future!!

Ogor resurgence perhaps? The new World Titan revealed or in tow? Damn that made the Preview for me.

Nighthaunt Hero is a stellar model and one of if not the best in the range.

Underworlds Warband was a bit Underwhelming. Felt they could've pushed the Frankenstien element further.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

13 minutes ago, PrimeElectrid said:

AoS has 4 battletomes in the pipeline and a new GHB due in 4 months time, and all they could show us was… 1 model from 1 of those 4 (which admittedly is a cool model), and a campaign book that might be relevant for all of 2 months before we move out of Ghur with some nebulous “battle packs for every mode of play.”

Oh and a repackaged terrain box that doesn’t block line of sight.

Pretty underwhelming and seems to lend credence to the rumour that aos is on life support.

To be fair there wasn’t much for 40k either, but even AoS somehow missed the low bar of “just show off codex covers.”

According to the attendees the season of war book is designed to work alongside the new ghb. It is extremely likely we will stay in Ghur for the next ghb. In any case the anvil of apotheosis is a much requested feature. 

We also don't know what rules the new terrain has. This is a book,  a terrain set  and a Nighthaunt character that not a single rumour munger hinted at despite them being imminent. If anything this casts considerable doubt on the rumours of a quiet autumn. 

The problem gw has is that they almost certainly do too many preview shows and too many Monday reveals. The next show will probably be Warhammer fest which is likely to be on the 7th and 8th of May. That's only six weeks away and is usually the biggest show of the year. It means that if they show too much now they will have nothing left to show off at Warhammer fest. We will see the full Horus box, the next Underworlds starter, the new chaos 40k minis and the sylvaneth and Skaven then. 

• Thanks 6

That was a fantastic preview to wake up to this morning. 

Well at first I thought I'd be disappointed as the first image I saw before checking the site was a terrain box and thought, wow is that really it for AoS? 

I mean, AoS definitely deserves a lot more attention, but a narrative book is awesome and I'll definitely be picking that up, the new terrain is nice and the Elden Ring boat boss is spectacular, definitely getting him. 

I'm currently watching that Horus Heresy cinematic on repeat, no wonder they just kept quiet after the leak, WOW!

A bit meh regarding the zombie warband, just feels like a few alternate scultps but still nice. The Norse Team will help make some nice looking Marauders I think. 

That Chaos tease at the end, very happy today :D. 

Honestly that was great I feel. Just itching to know what's on the horizon for AoS! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A refreshing amount of good stuff shown.

NH look promising, very much so. They already got one of the best ranges of all of AoS and boaty guy certainly doesn’t disappoint! 
Necromunde was ace, I’m still not sure though whether I‘ll finally find the time for it.

The 40i stuff was 40k stuff, but at least it looked cool. 

That book though, was the best thing shown. Path to glory? Anvil of Apotheosis? More lore? Yes please!

Edited by Rachmani
  • Like 1

I just caught up with the reveals. Some hot takes:

The Exiled Dead:

They are OK. I think they manage to sell the mad scientists theme just fine and are fun models. I like the Necromancer boss, although I don't quite know whey he had to be a Vampire. I will probably pick up this warband. My only gripe is that there is no buff big boy bruiser zombie. I kind of expected there to be a Frankenstein.

Awlrach the Drowner:

So the Nighthaunt boat was real after all! Good news for our Nighthaunt friends. They are certainly taking the "creative" names to a new level this time around, with this fancyful spelling of Ulrich (although I suppose it's also a boat pun). I hope this guy has some juice, the model is certainly very fun. The biggest question I have right now is what this means for DoK. Are they really only getting the Gladiatrix? If so, this has to be one of the least motivated battletome releases ever.

Season of War - Thondia:

First of all, Krondspine Incarnate looks dope! I like that we are seeing a new thematic take on endless spells for the era of the beast. I hope this guy will eventually become available outside of this terrain bundle, though.

Speaking of terrain, I am still kinda of two minds on the Dawnbringer terrain. I like that it has a distinct aesthetic and I think that having it be under construction instead of destroyed is a fun twist. However, it feels a little bit too Stormcasty to me. It doesn't look like something Cities guys would be living in, if that makes any sense. I like the new pieces, though. The big skeleton and waterfall are cool and work better for me than the Nexus Syphon from the last kit.

I am currently looking to buy more terrain, and I will have to seriously consider whether to go all-in on the Dawnbringer terrain. Right now, I am still trying to score some of the old Empire terrain kits (the Fortified Manor, Chapel and Watchtower), which in my mind represent the Cities of Sigmar better. If anyone here is selling any of those, hit me up, by the way.

Finally, Season of War: Thondia. As far as I understand this is a setting book. Might buy it if it has fun stuff in it, but currently don't know what to make of it.

The other stuff:

Ash Wastes looks good. If I was in the market for a sci-fi box game, I would probably give this one a go. I like the rag-covered desert bug nomad look.

I could not care less about Imperial and Chaos Knights. I know some people love them and I am happy for them. But I just kinda think 40k mechs don't look that cool.

The Norse Blood Bowl team are a competent take on vikings, but not special enough for me to get excited about as someone who does not play blood bowl. The pigs are cute, though.

I have not read a Horus Heresy book in my life and have no nostalgia for beaky marines, so that announcement is also not for me.

A 40k Chaos release might impact AoS if there are new daemon units coming out, but I think the focus looks to be on Chaos Marines.

---

Overall, I think this was a nice preview. We got what we expected and some extra scenery/setting stuff. There was also a lot of cool looking stuff for 40k players. So I feel positive about these reveals.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep
  • Like 3

The big reveal for me was that GW are already selling Horus Heresy stuff? As in, GW itself, not forgeworld. I know it's just plastics that have been out for years but I thought they'd all been squatted. 

Edited by Nos

I kinda sorta wish GW would do some terrain that isn't ruins 

ALSO A freaking huge chunk of bone and not a single ossiarch - criminal!!

Overall a good update! I'm kind of worried that this new expansion book for AoS is a bit light right now, one DoK Character and a Nighthaunt chunk of models that feels like a new Battletome for them is right around the corner, almost makes it feel like the book might get skipped over. I wonder if it means there might be something more, another model or two for another army. 

Also curious that 3rd ed was supposed to focus heavily on the Destruction faction and yet Nighthaunt are getting a good big chunk in this early book and they were a big focus in 2.0. 

The new boat looks fantastic! High detail and creative and will look awesome on the table :)

• Like 2

With the inclusion of the Cleansing Aqualith and hints at more fleshing out of Dawnbringer Crusades I'm hoping we'll get some rules for Dawnbringer scenery/terrain, specifically the Nexus Syphon which in my opinion is the coolest model to not have any specific rules. I mean it totally looks like it should DO SOMETHING and not just sit there looking pretty.

I'm really looking forward to the narrative book, especially as I'm playing a Path to Glory game in Ghur. One of my big hopes is that they blend Anvil of Apotheosis and P2G together so that you can use renown to upgrade Anvil heroes (with more Anvil points - even something as simple as "each 5 renown is worth 1 Anvil Point"). 

• Like 7

I'm keen to see the rules for the Krondspine Incarnate of Ghur and the hint that it'll be a wondering monster once it's associated hero dies.

It does look good, but as a undead magic monster vibe. I'd love to see proper living fleshy monsters. We're in the Realm of Beasts, show us the beasts! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Overread said:

I kinda sorta wish GW would do some terrain that isn't ruins 

ALSO A freaking huge chunk of bone and not a single ossiarch - criminal!!

Overall a good update! I'm kind of worried that this new expansion book for AoS is a bit light right now, one DoK Character and a Nighthaunt chunk of models that feels like a new Battletome for them is right around the corner, almost makes it feel like the book might get skipped over. I wonder if it means there might be something more, another model or two for another army. 

Also curious that 3rd ed was supposed to focus heavily on the Destruction faction and yet Nighthaunt are getting a good big chunk in this early book and they were a big focus in 2.0. 

The new boat looks fantastic! High detail and creative and will look awesome on the table :)

So far only 1/4 Destruction Factions have been updated 3.0. Warclans has been updated so that leaves us with 4 options.

1. Spiderfang /Troggoth update for Gloomspite. Gloomspite was updated in 2019 but hey that was (3!?!?) Years ago so I could see them getting a few new models just like Nighthaunt have here.

2. Sons of Behemat receiving a new kit. It happend with Imperial Knights a couple years after their initial release and by October this year itll have been 2 years since the Sons dropped so maybe we will get another  Mega Gargant or Mancrusher update!!

3. A new Faction for Destruction seems almost inevitable? They are the smallest Alliance and a new Faction to break from Greenskinz and Big Ladz would be amazing. I'm for this but at the same time want older Factions updated and modernized before we bloat the system and I'm the most avid Sons fan you'll meet!!

4. My most hoped for and one of the more likely things to happen is Ogor Mawtribes range refresh. They have a TONNE of models in Resin that need updating and have the ugliest mini in production for GW that is the Butcher. 

They have no named character models for mainline AOS and only the Gutbusters have a dedicated Tyrant model with no Frost King for Beastclaw Raiders.

Most of their kits are 17-18 years old at this point and are ALL rolled over from Fantasy with only the Tyrant and Mawpot being AOS models.

Ogors have also had one of the least impactful roles in the Narrative so far with them usually being lumped in with any major WAAAGH!! As having just been there.

I'm hoping this Thondia book focuses in on Destruction and especially the Mawtribes and gives them the narrative push and model releases they deserve.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Nos said:

The big reveal for me was that GW are already selling Horus Heresy stuff? As in, GW itself, not forgeworld. I know it's just plastics that have been out for years but I thought they'd all been squatted. 

They were never squatted, just the big board games that the models were originally available in were discontinued. The separate kits have been available since they were released as far as I know. 

• Like 1

This is a good preview. My favourites:
Necromunda bug-riders, stunning models (I really would like Silent People or other bug-race in AoS);
NH ferryman, nice concept, nice miniature!

The Underworld band seems very uninspired, sounds like a wasted opportunity. (And what does that armoured skeleton with shield and halberd have to do with it?)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Fulcanelli said:

The Underworld band seems very uninspired, sounds like a wasted opportunity. (And what does that armoured skeleton with shield and halberd have to do with it?)

I still like it for what it is, but I agree that one medieval looking Zombie is pretty out of place. He is kinda dressed like the new skeletons and appears to be the personal zombie of the Necromancer's apprentice (who is not part of the warband?). It's confusing.

• Like 4

With the Sylvaneth vs Skaven reveal still awaiting, anyone wanna hedge their bets as to what it might bring?

Personally I'm thinking it'll be 1 new hero for both as per.

Sylvaneth being a hero that either buffs tree-revanants or a potential new unit (that bug leg doesn't match the necro dune fleas so I'm holding on to the beetle cavalry/big spite dream) 

Skaven being an Eshin hero with buffs to Eshin existing kits or again a new kit (maybe an Eshin triad type unit like those introduced in the total war series)

• Like 1

AOS did not do so well, but this was how 40k was treated in 2021, Its a shame we cannot get a more consistent pattern of releases but I understand this is down to production and supply problems over the last three years or so. 

The Necromunda boxed set looks like a great game and the HH refresh has me interested as RT01 was (alongside the original Adeptus Titanicus and HeroQuest) one of my first gaming purchases. There was so much to enjoy with that kit. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hawke said:

With the Sylvaneth vs Skaven reveal still awaiting, anyone wanna hedge their bets as to what it might bring?

Sylvaneth being a hero that either buffs tree-revanants or a potential new unit (that bug leg doesn't match the necro dune fleas so I'm holding on to the beetle cavalry/big spite dream) 

Skaven being an Eshin hero with buffs to Eshin existing kits or again a new kit (maybe an Eshin triad type unit like those introduced in the total war series)

Hoping, not necessarily expecting, some affordable in numbers plastic replacements Skaven for some of the definitely not affordable in numbers metal units.

Edited by EntMan
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Well the insect leg rumour engine doesn't match the ash wastes bugs or the new Tyranid so the rumours of Slyvaneth cavalry could be on the money. A dual build unit with a hero to accompany them would be pretty cool and would flesh out the faction nicely while we wait for the Kurnothi expansion which doesn't seem to be coming any time soon. 

On the Skaven side we are definitely getting another Underworlds warband. A dual build gutter runner/ night runner kit, a skyre acolyte kit and an eshin hero would be great. That's only 5  AoS kits that would help both factions a lot. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I think doing a Skaven update justice would require it to be about the size of the Soulblight Gravelords release. GW would probably want to take the opportunity to remove all metal and resin from the range, which would mean redoing a lot of characters, the weapons teams and the Skryre Acolytes. Then, they would probably want to refresh the Night Runners sculpt at a minimum, maybe Clan Rats or Plague Monks as well. It sounds like a lot, but Soulblight had five unit refreshes, four small characters, two medium characters and a monster. I think it's within the realm of possibility that the Skaven range could be completel refreshed with enough room for a few new Eshin kits.

If the Skaven update is on budget mode, I would expect something like Nighthaunt is getting: A few heroes and a new unit. So Eshin skirmishing infantry, an assassin hero and one more thing. It's not what Skaven need, but it is possible.

For Sylvaneth, their model range is not too bad. I would much rather see them get the smaller update rather than Skaven. It would definitely be possible to establish an insect or Kurnothi subfaction within Sylvaneth with just a few kits. But I fear it will be the other way around: Skaven get the minimum and Sylvaneth get the equivalent of Lumineth wave 2. Just a hunch, though.

• Like 1