The Rumour Thread

1 hour ago, Snorri Nelriksson said:

Maybe Skaven big release if the Sylvaneth get to be the weak part of the new battletome?
IDK them and lizard are the most probable to have a Vampire counts styled release being both legacy Whfb army.

pessimistic outlook said it just going to be books and one model for each like the usual. That just more common I find

well I guess there a chances they will at least give skaven updated acylotes like Nighthaunt had Crossboos in the battle box.

actual I would even put Sylvaneath having more chances just because they got that warding revanant in BR while Skaven didn’t get anything 

• Like 1

One thing that strikes me as odd with a lot of the duel boxes that get released:

Wouldn't they make more money by adding an additional kit to the smaller factions (fyreslayers, daughters of khaine) instead of adding a new hero? The asking price is certainly higher for a unit, and it doesn't seem likely that either one would generate more sales than the other - the target demographic for both are likely folks who already collect the army.

From a design perspective, it probably requires a little more investment in design time, but I doubt that designer costs make up a large portion of their production cost.

From a community perspective theres also seems to be a pattern of these single foot heros generating little interest. Contrast that with something like - some salamander cavalry for fyreslayers or some new Greek horror for daughters - and I think it was obvious that they will get more excitement and sales this way.

I mean, the new foot hero is cool but I'd much prefer a 3 or 5 pack of a new elites unit.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Ggom said:

One thing that strikes me as odd with a lot of the duel boxes that get released:

Wouldn't they make more money by adding an additional kit to the smaller factions (fyreslayers, daughters of khaine) instead of adding a new hero? The asking price is certainly higher for a unit, and it doesn't seem likely that either one would generate more sales than the other - the target demographic for both are likely folks who already collect the army.

From a design perspective, it probably requires a little more investment in design time, but I doubt that designer costs make up a large portion of their production cost.

From a community perspective theres also seems to be a pattern of these single foot heros generating little interest. Contrast that with something like - some salamander cavalry for fyreslayers or some new Greek horror for daughters - and I think it was obvious that they will get more excitement and sales this way.

I mean, the new foot hero is cool but I'd much prefer a 3 or 5 pack of a new elites unit.

i think consensus is that they use these boxes to shift old stocks arounds in hopes of selling them off and the foot hero is just a low effort investment to incentivize new people to buy these boxes if they have not started these armies yet.

generally speaking, these boxes have never really been for existing people in the hobby i find.

also apparently new unit are way harder to produce then a stock monopose hero.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

Yeah lone heroes are a lot less effort and its not unknown for them to be side/passion projects by the sculptors which is obviously even less :D

I suspect one of the reasons we are seeing so many right now though is the smaller sprues needing less production time given how many production/logistics issues GW has right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, novakai said:

i think consensus is that they use these boxes to shift old stocks arounds in hopes of selling them off and the foot hero is just a low effort investment to incentivize new people to buy these boxes if they have not started these armies yet.

generally speaking, these boxes have never really been for existing people in the hobby i find.

also apparently new unit are way harder to produce then a stock monopose hero.

I highly doubt the boxes are built around surplus stock.

I think you underestimate the planning and time it takes to create these boxes. 

The new heroes have to be designed with rules, booklets produced and printed with background, rules and model assembly instructions. 

Token sheets designed and printed. 

New artwork produced, the box produced and printed and then everything packaged together. 

Alongside this models have to be painted and pictures taken for the website as well as articles need writing. 

Then enough boxes need producing, which they have got better at, before shipping them all over the world. 

It's not like all that happens because they had a surplus of deepkin sharks. 

One would hope they don't have a surplus of anything as a well managed warehouse should be temporary holding place for stock not a graveyard for unsold kits. 

16 hours ago, novakai said:

pessimistic outlook said it just going to be books and one model for each like the usual. That just more common I find

well I guess there a chances they will at least give skaven updated acylotes like Nighthaunt had Crossboos in the battle box.

actual I would even put Sylvaneath having more chances just because they got that warding revanant in BR while Skaven didn’t get anything 

Whitefang like my post so I must have said something right

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Whitefang like my post so I must have said something right

I really hope Skaven get at least a sizeable update this Edition. Minimum of 2 kits and a new Hero at least.

Sylvaneth make sense for an update as well what with Alarielles Life Spell shipping across the Realms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What seems weird about a potential Sylvaneth release is that the models all seem pretty great. They are really pretty and seem far from out of date. Compare that to other factions like Skaven or Seraphon (one of the most popular factions) which have ancient sculpts that look dated. It seems like an odd faction to get any updated models. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Gailon said:

What seems weird about a potential Sylvaneth release is that the models all seem pretty great. They are really pretty and seem far from out of date. Compare that to other factions like Skaven or Seraphon (one of the most popular factions) which have ancient sculpts that look dated. It seems like an odd faction to get any updated models. 

Sylvaneth have it much better than Fyreslayers, obviously, but they're still a pretty small range without much visual or playstyle variety.  They have three types of light chaff infantry units built out of two kits, while the bigger Kurnouth Hunters have pretty much carried the army since it's inception. The old Treelord kit also does a lot of heavy lifting. Everything except Alarielle is literally plodding treeman also so it's not like you've got a bunch of flyers or cav or skirmishers or whatever, either.  Even the only dedicated shooting unit is a Kurnouth weapon option.

That said, if it's not time for the Kurnothi to storm in and basically make them Wood Elves 2.0 again, I'm not sure what kind of sizable expansion they could realistically get. They have so many types of trees already, I don't see how things like Treemen Cavalry is supposed to work, and just adding more Revenants with bows or whatever doesn't read like a big update to me, personally.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, madmac said:

That said, if it's not time for the Kurnothi to storm in and basically make them Wood Elves 2.0 again, I'm not sure what kind of sizable expansion they could realistically get. They have so many types of trees already, I don't see how things like Treemen Cavalry is supposed to work, and just adding more Revenants with bows or whatever doesn't read like a big update to me, personally.

Yep, reading the comments here you anticipated me. Kurnothi could be the brand new expansion and maybe one glade that can have 1 in 4 Wanderers as they forgive them. Just to throw a bone to old wood elves players.

Kurnothi in Sylvaneth could give some elite infantry, fast cavalry but no teletransport  rules, something different that could give new visual impact to the army and new options.

In saying that, considering we have zero rumours of them coming in and zero rumour engines that would point to an expansion of that size, for now it’s just wishlisting.

Did we solve the sewer rumour engine? That could be our new Skaven hero…

11 minutes ago, alghero81 said:

Yep, reading the comments here you anticipated me. Kurnothi could be the brand new expansion and maybe one glade that can have 1 in 4 Wanderers as they forgive them. Just to throw a bone to old wood elves players.

Kurnothi in Sylvaneth could give some elite infantry, fast cavalry but no teletransport  rules, something different that could give new visual impact to the army and new options.

In saying that, considering we have zero rumours of them coming in and zero rumour engines that would point to an expansion of that size, for now it’s just wishlisting.

Did we solve the sewer rumour engine? That could be our new Skaven hero…

AVvXsEgYC3oSlihBmZ3SWiMvURqt9T7SdZlOM8lT6p3jybktofB3fnOcLycZyrxKy8y1YESnXDrcOiJFRSU2JrITOHqF48xYFhNqh9ttWJY7g7LgjGbjrdtOlUCtaOb3a5VPQlf--S5hRnF0f2UeDkvfJAsKkL-AHSDzJzgcxHuqb-005mtojsW89qAG8W5AHw=s320

AVvXsEjzNti7UZHLMQm4fSAAxoBgAAKQq4CyzYJYXNeDL0zbtvb3uMqu8403abVjlUHiSGW-NjyVWJFCF33VUCHLNvS7-w1GaI_8mNbEixJ7nR8mj5GDXCY6qOBMbjLFkE-9We3m3T63-ebwRCYj7yBaMTVNIWB7KetPkYVOBmQRd5vrzDOUb3tKQhVSIeC6bA=s320

these are probably the two RE for the two heroes i feel, since they were release back-to-back like the FS and IDK hero for fury of the Deep box. i don't think the bug legs is for a new Jabberscythe honestly.

• Thanks 1

That skaven is most likely from some new Underworld's warband. Because of that elaborate base. There is no other regular hero with full scenic base like that apart from Underworld's bands. If it was just  regular hero he would be running on some pipe protruding through base or something like that and there wouldn't be sculpted whole part of sewer underneath him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sylvaneth are doing alright for various sized treefolk and revenants i think, id probably look at bugs and sprites, big tank bug like the one Alarielle is riding would be awesome, maybe an arty bug though might be a bit too lizard, i reckon sprite/bug swarms would look amazing with modern tech too. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

43 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Sylvaneth are doing alright for various sized treefolk and revenants i think, id probably look at bugs and sprites, big tank bug like the one Alarielle is riding would be awesome, maybe an arty bug though might be a bit too lizard, i reckon sprite/bug swarms would look amazing with modern tech too. 

Give us Squirrel Swarms damn it GW!!

1 hour ago, YoghurtKobold said:

That skaven is most likely from some new Underworld's warband. Because of that elaborate base. There is no other regular hero with full scenic base like that apart from Underworld's bands. If it was just  regular hero he would be running on some pipe protruding through base or something like that and there wouldn't be sculpted whole part of sewer underneath him.

I agree, that scenic base is either Underworlds or a Warhammer+ exclusive model. Hopefully the former!!

1 hour ago, novakai said:

AVvXsEgYC3oSlihBmZ3SWiMvURqt9T7SdZlOM8lT6p3jybktofB3fnOcLycZyrxKy8y1YESnXDrcOiJFRSU2JrITOHqF48xYFhNqh9ttWJY7g7LgjGbjrdtOlUCtaOb3a5VPQlf--S5hRnF0f2UeDkvfJAsKkL-AHSDzJzgcxHuqb-005mtojsW89qAG8W5AHw=s320

AVvXsEjzNti7UZHLMQm4fSAAxoBgAAKQq4CyzYJYXNeDL0zbtvb3uMqu8403abVjlUHiSGW-NjyVWJFCF33VUCHLNvS7-w1GaI_8mNbEixJ7nR8mj5GDXCY6qOBMbjLFkE-9We3m3T63-ebwRCYj7yBaMTVNIWB7KetPkYVOBmQRd5vrzDOUb3tKQhVSIeC6bA=s320

these are probably the two RE for the two heroes i feel, since they were release back-to-back like the FS and IDK hero for fury of the Deep box. i don't think the bug legs is for a new Jabberscythe honestly.

Do you think the insect like leg will be for Sylvaneth?

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3