The Rumour Thread

33 minutes ago, PJetski said:

Hey do you guys remember when they cancelled Cursed City and all of its expansions and lied to us and said those expansions were never promised

I do not remember this part. As far as I remember they didn't say anything after Cursed City vanished from the store.

Or are you referring to the standard business phrase "there are currently no plans", which is always thrown around when companies don't want to commit to specifics? Like, "there are currently no plans to put out a second run of Cursed City or expansions".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

The majority of people who buy GW miniatures don't even play the game, or play it only a couple times a year at most. For those people rules probably have pretty limited impact on sales.

I keep seeing people say this, but the only evidence of this being stated was from Kirby... and, well, this was also the person who said that a GW fan's favourite thing part of the hobby spending money on Games Workshop products- okay, he was right about that, so maybe it's a bad example.

In all seriousness, I don't think it's a coincidence that 40k's scales skyrocketed when 8th edition reset the clock on the ruleset and that AoS only began to go from flop to upwards profit when the General's Handbook was released.

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Incredible news guys!! This is amazing I cannot actually believe Cursed City is back!! 

Ah good ole AOS news is so refreshing it's a Christmas miracle!! 

Regarding expansions I am so damn excited to see what kind of models we have to look forward to. Damn I'm happy with this.

I too am happy to see it return. There were a lot of people who missed the initial release, so i'm glad its making a comeback. its also a fun game I'd like to see expansions for. 

As for me personally, I just finished painting all the core box models as part of my soulblight army.  So now I have a nicely painted boardgame with future company support as well. 

I'm also very glad I haven't yet purchased Radukar, Belladamma, Kritza or Annika, because I'll bet my boots that those figures were originally intended for expansions, and we're going to see them re-released as part of ones. The already alluded to it for Radukar the beast in todays article.

I hope there's an option where GW sells just the rules for those expansions, so people who already purchased the model don't have to buy it a second time, just for CC rules. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I keep seeing people say this, but the only evidence of this being stated was from Kirby... and, well, this was also the person who said that a GW fan's favourite thing part of the hobby spending money on Games Workshop products- okay, he was right about that, so maybe it's a bad example.

In all seriousness, I don't think it's a coincidence that 40k's scales skyrocketed when 8th edition reset the clock on the ruleset and that AoS only began to go from flop to upwards profit when the General's Handbook was released.

You have to consider that they actually started marketing themselves during that same time period. Like they don’t do a good job of it still but having no visibility to having some visibility does wonders for your product.

just by how they train their store managers to teach new people how to paint battle standard miniatures and promoting armies on their aesthetics and lore over gameplay mecahanics.

granted I heard AoS launch didn’t really flop is just that they  understood that their approach was bad but they had something worth expanding and improve upon in the future

19 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I was talking more about specific stuff like are Bullgors good or bad. I don't think that impacts sales much for the typical customer.

I think those larger-scale rules things like the structure of an edition absolutely do impact sales even for those customers, and I think the reason for that is even people who barely play the game in practice are still tuned into it as a game in theory.

Basically I think the average GW customer doesn't actually play the game very much, but they also aren't actively not playing the game, and they still see it as a game, not solely as a painting/assembling hobby. I.e. they're assembling and painting an army to play with in theory, they just don't do it much in practice. 

Edited by yukishiro1
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

I think it's more that a theoretical decent game needs to exist for you to imagine playing fun games with as you build and paint your army.  If there's no game, or the game that exists is obvious trash that's naturally going to hurt sales. Likewise if the game happens to be really super good and everyone talks about how good it is, that's probably a sales boost. I'd say Kirby's problem, or one of them at least, was being too dismissive towards the idea of even pretending to care about the game side of the business.

Most of the time GW's games seem to just trundle along in a bland middle ground of mediocrity, and I doubt any of these day to day rules shifts have any real impact on overall sales. No doubt models with really good rules sell better than ones that are unplayable, of course, but GW seems to work on a rotation basis where the "good" models frequently change between battletome updates or occasionally point shifts.

Basically I would argue that rules do matter to sales, but only in extreme cases in either direction.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, novakai said:

My personal opinion is I don’t think miniature rules and point generally affect model sells that much. Hobbyists just buy what every appeals to them and if the model is of good quality and  the game aspect end up being secondary

There is a point at which bad rules mean players wont get into an army. But they have to be Slaanesh bad. 

no rules for AoS 1 made many people not get into AoS for years.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Feii said:

There is a point at which bad rules mean players wont get into an army. But they have to be Slaanesh bad. 

no rules for AoS 1 made many people not get into AoS for years.

Yeah but I don’t think that stop people from buying star drakes or Bloodthirsters though, because they look cool, even if someone using 6 for a PoG game was well excessive. You may buy models and paint but not nessisary play the game 

i don’t think Slaaneshi being a bad army is stoping people from buying that battleforce either. It more like being tie to sex (yeah I know it not all about sex but it unfortunately a label that exist for them) and body horror is not alway a universal appeal to hobbyist

Edited by novakai

44 minutes ago, Clan's Cynic said:

8th also cooincided with Primaris becoming a thing and apparently driving some insane growth in general, tbh i think it was a little of both and 7th had collapsed sales a bit.

Sales do go up a bit in spikes on new releases but its not a s straightforward as new rules or you would see similar spikes with prominent army books. I think a lot of people fancy a new army but also all those starter boxes, rulebooks, snazzy dice, note books, objectives etc etc that come with every new edition get picked up by almost every player of the games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingBrodd said:

Incredible news guys!! This is amazing I cannot actually believe Cursed City is back!! 

Ah good ole AOS news is so refreshing it's a Christmas miracle!! 

Regarding expansions I am so damn excited to see what kind of models we have to look forward to. Damn I'm happy with this.

Me to dude! At the moment Im sorrounded by family members desperately lacking people that understand how extremely awesome this is!

Im 2 seconds from highfiving myself🤪

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

28 minutes ago, novakai said:

Yeah but I don’t think that stop people from buying star drakes or Bloodthirsters though, because they look cool, even if someone using 6 for a PoG game was well excessive. You may buy models and paint but not nessisary play the game 

i don’t think Slaaneshi being a bad army is stoping people from buying that battleforce either. It more like being tie to sex (yeah I know it not all about sex but it unfortunately a label that exist for them) and body horror is not alway a universal appeal to hobbyist

The thing is Skaarbrand is maybe bad but one of the most fun warscrolls. 

legion of the first prince uses a Bloodthirster and is currently the highest winrate faction (check today’s neta report by Honest Wargamer by comparison) 

When it comes to slaanesh you scrolls are bad and boring. New archer units dont work with explosive sixes allegiance ability etc. 

Yes slaanesh has always been the least popular chaos God but with wargaming  being more inclusive I find that a lot of people like Tzeentch/Slaanesh for their transgressive qualities or feminine nature. 

• Confused 2

I'm legit sad about the Cursed City news

Because now it means my  chances of building a vampire army are MUCH greater and and - that means my wallet is forever empty! 

Though in all seriousness expansions and a return of the core game are most welcome news indeed. I just hope this second printing at least stays in stock of GW can confirm if its going to be a "order and you get it confirmation" or " rolling stock updates". 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

+++MOD HAT ON+++ 

We can move the talk of wether models or rules make sales for GW to another thread. For the the first time in a few months we have some good AOS news and with that Rumours!!

I fully expect us to get a FEC piper and an Fec guy with a sword. Those second and third latest unsolved mystery rumour engines.

40 minutes ago, KingBrodd said:

+++MOD HAT ON+++ 

We can move the talk of wether models or rules make sales for GW to another thread. For the the first time in a few months we have some good AOS news and with that Rumours!!

Rumor has it that the rumor thread on this forum contain no actual rumors just blatant wishlisting, 40K advent calender guessing and off topic discussions

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Feii said:

I fully expect us to get a FEC piper and an Fec guy with a sword. Those second and third latest unsolved mystery rumour engines.

Now those RE seem very much like expansions for Cursed City. I was hoping for a certain named character for FEC but that character may yet still appear as a Cursed City expansion. Or another different named Ghoul King!!

18 minutes ago, novakai said:

Rumor has it that the rumor thread on this forum contain no actual rumors just blatant wishlisting, 40K advent calender guessing and off topic discussions

I've also heard that Rumour and unfortunately it appears to have more than a grain of truth to it!!