The Rumour Thread

8 minutes ago, TheWilddog said:

Yea someone definitely stumbled onto the random thrash metal band name generator.  

I didn’t but it’s good to know I have an alternative career to fall back on if required 

• Like 1

I would be happy with ANY duardin model. 

Do not aim for the gods, lets start with a Thane! Or an Anvil...or a cogfort or whatever, put the Duardin keyword and I'm gonna stick it in some weird list like I do with the Unforged (The name of the rule writer is written in skaven blood inside the Book.)

Edited by Furuzzolo

17 hours ago, Rollcage said:

Speculation: Idoneth endless spell: Illusionary gold! Distract your enemies on the battlefield with the illusion of gold. Effect: Targets within X" move towards the gold pile in each hero phase.

This was exactly my theory.  The IK summon some of that useless (to them) treasure they have lying around, and use it to lure unsuspecting enemies.  Sort of a movement control spell - working similar to those deep sea fish that have the little bioluminescent light on the end of a tentacle, to lure in prey.

37 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

This was exactly my theory.  The IK summon some of that useless (to them) treasure they have lying around, and use it to lure unsuspecting enemies.  Sort of a movement control spell - working similar to those deep sea fish that have the little bioluminescent light on the end of a tentacle, to lure in prey.

I like this theory a lot, but part of me hopes it could be a new piece of Etheric vortex terrain for Idoneth.

It's a unique mechanic that Idoneth have a choice over the type of terrain feature they can bring, but obviously there is only one option released so far. When Idoneth get the AOS 2.0 battletome with endless spells, my hope is that it is accompanied by a new Etheric Vortex terrain pieces to supplement the gloomtide shipwreck. 

Spectral sunken treasure could work for either.

5 minutes ago, Incineroar87 said:

Does the battletome mention anything about Deepkin raiding anything outside of souls ?

No, they're only interested in souls when they go raiding according to the battletome which makes sense considering these are people who are literally the only thing keeping their civilization going so their minds would be pretty focused on the task at hand instead of pillaging trinkets I think. That said it's probably safe to assume they have their own system of trade in place down there so it is possible the odd namarti could pocket a few things to trade but the battletome doesn't go into that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikethefish said:

It’s pretty one-dimensional lore-wise. Certain factions sure, I can see them being lured by gold. Human ones basically.

But Most? No. Undead interested in treasure? Stormcast abandoning the literal purpose for which they were forged to grab some pocket money? DOK  or Khorne chilling out on their blood frenzy to scoop up some cheddar? Nurgle, the antithesis of corporeal and material value choosing to start up a hedge fund? Orruks and Grots abandoning their own currencyand penchant for bashin’ stuff on the roll of a+4? Etc. 

Edited by Nos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Nos said:

It’s pretty one-dimensional lore-wise. Certain factions sure, I can see them being lured by gold. Human ones basically.

But Most? No. Undead interested in treasure? Stormcast abandoning the literal purpose for which they were forged to grab some pocket money? DOK  or Khorne chilling out on their blood frenzy to scoop up some cheddar? Nurgle, the antithesis of corporeal and material value choosing to start up a hedge fund? Orruks and Grots abandoning their own currencyand penchant for bashin’ stuff on the roll of a+4? Etc. 

Seems like the sort of thing that's very easily explained by 'it's magic'.

'The enchantments of the Idoneth give the Luminous Greedhoard a supernatural lure that few land-dwellers can resist, and burns at the souls of those that do' etc

Keep in mind the Idoneth are masters at clouding minds. And there are already lots of effects in the game that wouldn't logically work against certain targets, but are handwaved for the sake of it being a game rather than a 1:1 simulation. 

• Like 4

Everything in fantasy can be easily if unspectacularly explained by “its magic” but it’s not a crutch in which GW rely thankfully.

If  Idoneth can cloud peoples minds to the point that the very essence of their being is redundant than they should just magic them into giving them their souls.

I get what you’re saying but in a game in which the lore is basically the foundation of game design then a macguffin of “it’s magic innit” is not something I think the designers will implement.

Bottom line it’s simply not consistent with the feel of factions themselves to make them forget the essence of their being “because magic”. 

Edited by Nos

2 hours ago, Nos said:

It’s pretty one-dimensional lore-wise. Certain factions sure, I can see them being lured by gold. Human ones basically

On one of the podcast they talk about exactly this. Their solution was the realmstones. All factions value them for different reason and as such it’s a common reason to fight. So change coin to local realm stone.. and you’re good I guess 😉

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nos said:

If Idoneth can cloud peoples minds to the point that the very essence of their being is redundant than they should just magic them into giving them their souls.

I get what you’re saying but in a game in which the lore is basically the foundation of the game mechanics, often to the actual cost of balance and wider game logic, then a macguffin of “it’s magic innit” is not something I think the designers will implement.

Bottom line it’s simply not consistent with the feel of factions themselves to make them forget the essence of their being “because magic”. 

I don't see how that's inconsistent. The Idoneth are literally capable of making every faction in the game forget completely that they exist, including Stormcast. They clear entire settlements of life and then make everyone forget anything even happened. Even in the middle of battle you can't focus on them enough to shoot at specific targets. 

I mean, 'because magic' is this entire setting. Everyone's literally walking around on top of magic. 

To give a different example - Stormcast are supposed to be the bravest of the brave, but they're still affected by spells that make people run away in fear. They're the purest of the pure, but they're still affected by spells that mutate people. Same for the undead. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

I don't see how that's inconsistent. The Idoneth are literally capable of making every faction in the game forget completely that they exist, including Stormcast. They clear entire settlements of life and then make everyone forget anything even happened. Even in the middle of battle you can't focus on them enough to shoot at specific targets. 

I mean, 'because magic' is this entire setting. Everyone's literally walking around on top of magic. 

To give a different example - Stormcast are supposed to be the bravest of the brave, but they're still affected by spells that make people run away in fear. They're the purest of the pure, but they're still affected by spells that mutate people. Same for the undead. 

The problem though is that you’re working backwards, seeing something that might be an Idoneth ES (don’t think it is) then working out how that “works”.

The Idoneth being able to warp peoples minds etc with magic, absolutely. But reasoning that they’re specifically using gold to do it when the gold itself dosent matter at all is my issue.

The designers of both the rules and models are not going to use something as specific as that for no reason. Some other form of locus to represent that power I can see, like a weird pillar or gem or something, something totemic that speaks to their creepy otherworldlyness. 

But pirate booty carries way too many specific visual meanings and GW are not top of the class for visual design for no reason. They are excellent at providing a consistent visual language that maps onto the character of a faction, and random gold piles to communicate Idoneth mind control is not that.

As for your other examples, they’re easily explained away “because magic” because the magic is all there is. It’s easy to interpret a spell causing fear on Stormcast to not be about Battlefield panic but rather the sort of thing that would cloud their very purpose as fighting machines, something which muddled their thoughts and causes them  to lose focus and fall back to their memories of their past selves for long enough that their coherency falters . There’s no contrivance there. Or with Undead the magic could be about playing in the allegiance of Souls to Nagash and the Mortarchs and creating the illusion that their own servitude to their own chosen death champion is misplaced. That sort of thing. Again, it’s easy to riff on. 

With the Idoneth thing you have to get round the treasure issue. And if it’s not actually about the treasure in question,  if it’s “oh the Stormcast see it as something else”why have something as specific as gold in the first place if it’s meaningless when you could instead have something more iconic and representative of Deepkin culture and magic anyway?

Edited by Nos

3 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I would love it if the duardin rode worms that were basically identical to earth worms and were movement 3

If they paired this release with a Nurgle snail calvary unit they could do a speedfreaks style box game of the two.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

*incoherent mumbling* And they want mechanical worms! We have flying ships with ballons! *incoherent mumbling* Dispossesed Battletome! What about KO, we need workable rules! *incoherent mumbling* All I want is a battleship, not gold. *incoherent mumbling*

Kharadron lives matter too. 😓

Edited by Sttufe
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3