The Rumour Thread

3 minutes ago, Nos said:

What difference would it make if the Gitz has got three weeks? Exactly same models and book etc. Would seeing the same stuff on the web page for one extra week really have excited you anymore than it did for two?  You’re aware if that were the case for every AOS release there would actually have been *less* releases at this point?

Their pacing is better than it ever has been by some distance and by pretty any other margin of product, let alone for one which requires the turn over and pre-planning that this industry demands, it’s frankly exceptional.

Ignore it, there is always someone complaining that one month without a major AoS release is the second ending of the old world and marks GWs final abandonment of fantasy, we've heard the exact same argument every month we havnt had a preview.

I have a small, mathematical rumour. I was reading through the March White Dwarf last night, and there's an article in it where Jervis Johnson talks about how they determine the point costs of new units. He says they have a formula and bla bla bla... and that they tweak it during playtesting, but that the formula is usually pretty good and there's usually not a lot of adjustments. The interesting part is that he gives the example of an unnamed, yet-to-be-released battletome he was working on recently, and says that only 20% of the unit required point adjustments, and less than 5% required more than 20 point adjustment. Maths says that in order to says you have "less than 5% of something", you need at least 21 items. I'm under the impression that he was talking about all new stuff, because I doubt they need to use the formula for old units that already exists (unless they tweak them quite a lot).

So that would mean there's a new battletome with at least 21 units in the not so far future. 21 units is a BIG release.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JPjr said:

Yeah, kind of, with Tactics. I mean they're in the books so you don't need cards  but it's quicker and easier with them.

They are not all in the books.  The various faction killTeam boxes all come with an extra 6 strategies that are in that set that do not appear in the core book.  They also include 2 missions in each of the KillTeam sets that is designed for that faction.  So they add a bit of incentive to buy the set than just to get the models.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Minis by Night said:

and says that only 20% of the unit required point adjustments, and less than 5% required more than 20 point adjustment. Maths says that in order to says you have "less than 5% of something", you need at least 21 items. I'm under the impression that he was talking about all new stuff, because I doubt they need to use the formula for old units that already exists (unless they tweak them quite a lot).

So that would mean there's a new battletome with at least 21 units in the not so far future. 21 units is a BIG release.

This is operating under the assumption that he is actually using math, and good at it, rather than immediately plucking numbers out of thin air.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

This is operating under the assumption that he is actually using math, and good at it, rather than immediately plucking numbers out of thin air.

Granted. But the whole article is pretty much about how he came up with the complicated formula that takes the different variables of a unit (survivability, damage, mobility, etc), weighted all of that and pop out a fairly precise number at the end. I believe he's the head of the rule department for games that rely heavily on statistics. I think the man can math.

I'm not saying that 21 unit is an exact number, but it's an interesting order of magnitude.

40 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Oh awesome! Only saw a few reverences though and they all implied travel within a realm? Or do I misremember that?

Well, in the wanderers section (albeit brief) of the Core Rulebook it says that the Ley-lines link the sacred places of each Mortal Realm.  In the Grand Alliance Order book, it says that the light of Sigendal fragments into hundreds of Ley-lines and that these cords spill out across the Realms.  To me that says that the Ley-lines create links between the Realms that are not dependant on Realmgates.  It goes on to say that  Wanderers trace the paths of this light to hidden lands.  In game, Wanderers use hidden paths as their form of teleport, so it is logical that they can also use them to travel between Realms.  In all honesty, I cannot point to a passage that states this explicitly, but I feel that it is a reasonable interpretation of the little lore  that we have.

Of course, I am quite happy to be proved wrong when the Wanderers Battletome comes out :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

n all honesty, I cannot point to a passage that states this explicitly, but I feel that it is a reasonable interpretation of the little lore  that we hav

haha probably vague on purpose by GW, leaves a lot of options for lore development. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Without comparing units, how do you determine a baseline for what is acceptable or not?

You look at how a thing works within the context of its own army. What does it offer that is unique? Does it go too far in filling a gap that was intended to be a weak point in the army?

For instance, a low cost chaff unit in an army that has no access to super powered models is not worth as much as the identical unit in an army that does. Even if that chaff unit is literally the same in both armies, it should cost more in the army with the super unit.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Aelfric said:

Well, in the wanderers section (albeit brief) of the Core Rulebook it says that the Ley-lines link the sacred places of each Mortal Realm.  In the Grand Alliance Order book, it says that the light of Sigendal fragments into hundreds of Ley-lines and that these cords spill out across the Realms.  To me that says that the Ley-lines create links between the Realms that are not dependant on Realmgates.  It goes on to say that  Wanderers trace the paths of this light to hidden lands.  In game, Wanderers use hidden paths as their form of teleport, so it is logical that they can also use them to travel between Realms.  In all honesty, I cannot point to a passage that states this explicitly, but I feel that it is a reasonable interpretation of the little lore  that we have.

Of course, I am quite happy to be proved wrong when the Wanderers Battletome comes out :) 

I don't think the idea is supposed to be that the Wanderers teleport via the leylines. They just navigate using them, leading them to places others don't know about. It's basically google maps that only those with 'witch-sight' (wizards?) can see. 

Their allegiance ability isn't a literal teleport, it's described as the Wanderers using hidden paths - stealth rather than magic. Keep in mind they have to go off the edge of the battlefield to use it, so the idea is they're going off through a secret shortcut. That's my interpretation at least.

IMO if the Wanderers had a non-Realmgate means of teleporting between Realms, that would be a huge, huge deal in the lore that every alliance would be fighting over, not a little footnote in the core book. As it stands, Realmgates are basically the most important strategic resource in the setting, 

44 minutes ago, robinlvalentine said:

I don't think the idea is supposed to be that the Wanderers teleport via the leylines. They just navigate using them, leading them to places others don't know about. It's basically google maps that only those with 'witch-sight' (wizards?) can see. 

Their allegiance ability isn't a literal teleport, it's described as the Wanderers using hidden paths - stealth rather than magic. Keep in mind they have to go off the edge of the battlefield to use it, so the idea is they're going off through a secret shortcut. That's my interpretation at least.

IMO if the Wanderers had a non-Realmgate means of teleporting between Realms, that would be a huge, huge deal in the lore that every alliance would be fighting over, not a little footnote in the core book. As it stands, Realmgates are basically the most important strategic resource in the setting, 

Well it might just be that the lay-lines are large enough to transport men and treemen, so its not a big deal. Try invade a country by passing men one after another thru the border, its gonna take a while before you have an actual army. 

A contrario, the realmgates seems to tend to be big devices, the kind who can fill several warmachines/ warbeasts.

1 hour ago, robinlvalentine said:

I was using the word teleport as shorthand for how they can jump around the table.  It wasn't meant to be taken literally, sorry.  Very few of these special moves that factions have are teleporting, but the word does get used to describe them, so I was a bit lazy.  I agree that Wanderers physically travel the paths, but the net effect, just like the skaven, or Sylvaneth,  has the effect of teleporting for in-game purposes.